PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Faust on WGN Radio tonight

MARTINMVP
10-12-2009, 08:58 AM
According to the WGNRadio.com "schedule and upcoming guests" page, Nancy Faust will appear with "Steve & Johnnie" overnight show tonight. They will talk about her retirement and what will be her 41 years with the organization.

Steve and Johnnie begin at around 11:20 p.m. following the expanded WGN Radio News at 11:00. I would also imagine that the interview will be included with the station's podcasts sometime on Tuesday, or later this week.

http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/gueststopics/wgnam-guests-topics-upcoming-story,0,3023277.story

Hitmen77
10-12-2009, 10:07 AM
WGN Radio knows the White Sox exist? :scratch:

MARTINMVP
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Brian Noonan is a White Sox fan... the weekend overnight guy. :(:

Foulke You
10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
You beat me to the punch. I can't ever remember WGN radio having any Sox related guests.

doublem23
10-12-2009, 10:23 AM

You beat me to the punch. I can't ever remember WGN radio having any Sox related guests.

Guess who doesn't own the Cubs any more?

MARTINMVP
10-12-2009, 10:29 AM
In all seriousness, I didn't mean for this to turn into a WGN Radio / Cubs relationship type of thing (I hope it doesn't turn into one... otherwise, this would have gone into the "What's the Score?").

I posted this because I thought Sox fans would like to hear Nancy talk and hopefully answer some questions, regardless of the station.

I probably won't be up to hear it live, but I'm hoping WGN Radio will include it in their podcast section by tomorrow.

Foulke You
10-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Guess who doesn't own the Cubs any more?
This is true. Perhaps Nancy as a guest is a start of things changing there. I might have to tune in to hear what she has to say.

doublem23
10-12-2009, 10:44 AM
In all seriousness, I didn't mean for this to turn into a WGN Radio / Cubs relationship type of thing (I hope it doesn't turn into one... otherwise, this would have gone into the "What's the Score?").

I posted this because I thought Sox fans would like to hear Nancy talk and hopefully answer some questions, regardless of the station.

I probably won't be up to hear it live, but I'm hoping WGN Radio will include it in their podcast section by tomorrow.

It's a valid point, however. After years of being stonewalled by the Trib, maybe this is the sign of a changing relationship? It'd be nice of them to recognize there are 2 baseball teams in Chicago.

DumpJerry
10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Maybe Nancy will announce her new deal with the Cubs.:o:

Lip Man 1
10-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Doesn't the Tribune Company still own 5% of the franchise? If so they are a minority owner correct?

Lip

DumpJerry
10-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Doesn't the Tribune Company still own 5% of the franchise? If so they are a minority owner correct?

Lip
Tribco will retain 5% ownership for tax purposes. The deal has not been signed off yet by the BK judge (the first of two judges have approved it) and still needs to close.

MARTINMVP
10-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't want to go there, but I will... WGN will still show favoritism towards the Cubs, at the very least, because they are the radio home. That will not change. I'm not complaining about it, it is what it that. I still listen to that station for much of their other programming.

That said, tonight's interview with Nancy might be worth listening to.

Warriorjan
10-12-2009, 09:28 PM
And I wanted to go to bed early tonight..... I also believe that Steve King is a Sox fan as well. Actually, although I usually can't stand the evening sports show, I tuned in the night of the perfect game to see what, if anything, would be said about it. And much to my surprise, Kaplan went off on and actually hung up on a woman whose complaint was that he shouldn't have been talking about the perfect game because it was a Sox thing and not a Cubs thing. Since I don't hestitate to complain, I have to give props where they are due.

Brian26
10-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Steve and Johnnie had a nice segment on Buehrle the night of the perfect game, and it was offered as part of their iTunes uncut podcast.

Frontman
10-12-2009, 10:24 PM

She said she doesn't work night games anymore.......

sox1970
10-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Podcast:
http://www.wgnradio.com/media/mp3file/2009-10/49821392.mp3

MARTINMVP
10-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for posting. I didn't hear it, but I hope it is worth listening to. I'll listen later today when I have a few minutes.

Brian26
10-13-2009, 06:54 PM
It sounds like nobody else caught this, but Johnnie Putnam gave Whitesoxinteractive a shout last night right before the interview. She even mentioned MartinMVP by name. Then, their news guy (Ted) talked about how big WSI is with Sox fans. I'm guessing this isn't part of the podcast because I think it happened right before the commercial before the Nancy interview. It was a pretty cool moment though.

I only caught the first ten minutes of the interview before I fell asleep. Nancy said she has no formal training and can't read sheet music. There was a weird moment when Nancy said she didn't feel like people appreciated her. Steve King said "What?!" She almost started crying and then mentioned how quickly the Sox jumped at the chance to accept her idea of only doing day games. She said she "saw the direction they were headed".

I fell asleep and don't remember anything after that. I'll have to listen to the podcast.

tsoxman
10-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Didn't the Tribune Co also may overtures to Nancy faust when Harry Caray defected in the early '80s?

Dick Allen
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Didn't the Tribune Co also may overtures to Nancy faust when Harry Caray defected in the early '80s?I seem to remember that they did. Right around the time they also took Wayne Messmer from the Sox.

tacosalbarojas
10-13-2009, 08:05 PM
It sounds like nobody else caught this, but Johnnie Putnam gave Whitesoxinteractive a shout last night right before the interview. She even mentioned MartinMVP by name. Then, their news guy (Ted) talked about how big WSI is with Sox fans. I'm guessing this isn't part of the podcast because I think it happened right before the commercial before the Nancy interview. It was a pretty cool moment though.

I only caught the first ten minutes of the interview before I fell asleep. Nancy said she has no formal training and can't read sheet music. There was a weird moment when Nancy said she didn't feel like people appreciated her. Steve King said "What?!" She almost started crying and then mentioned how quickly the Sox jumped at the chance to accept her idea of only doing day games. She said she "saw the direction they were headed".

I fell asleep and don't remember anything after that. I'll have to listen to the podcast.
I want to listen again as well because there was some very veiled references like the ones you mention above. At another point, she said Brooks was totally surprised and had no idea she was thinking of retiring...words to this effect anyhow. Kind of tells you how low a priority she is, I thought. I mean wouldn't you at least check in at the end of the year to see if she was still going to be on board with the day game schedule for 2010? Perhaps there is more to it (or less) as the case may be, but I don't think Nancy is exactly happy to be going - in fact, I believe she used the term bittersweet to describe her departure at one point.

Noneck
10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Maybe a Lip interview could clear up the unanswered questions.

skobabe8

Just incredible.

oeo
I want to listen again as well because there was some very veiled references like the ones you mention above. At another point, she said Brooks was totally surprised and had no idea she was thinking of retiring...words to this effect anyhow. Kind of tells you how low a priority she is, I thought. I mean wouldn't you at least check in at the end of the year to see if she was still going to be on board with the day game schedule for 2010? Perhaps there is more to it (or less) as the case may be, but I don't think Nancy is exactly happy to be going - in fact, I believe she used the term bittersweet to describe her departure at one point.

Any change in life, whether it's retiring, moving, graduating, etc. is going to be bittersweet. I don't get how that means she's unhappy. She's been doing it for a LOOOONG time, and now she's moving on.

Lip Man 1
10-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Noneck:

If Hal (Torn Labrum) wants to give me her contact information I'd be happy to give her a call next week and get right to the heart of the matter.

I met Nancy once in May 2006 and she is a very nice person, just reading the published comments and now reading Brian's thoughts confirms to me that all is not as it seems here, there's more than meets the eye.

Anyway Hal if you want to e-mail me (you have my personal address) I'll give her a call.

Lip

tacosalbarojas
10-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Any change in life, whether it's retiring, moving, graduating, etc. is going to be bittersweet. I don't get how that means she's unhappy. She's been doing it for a LOOOONG time, and now she's moving on.Just from what I heard in the interview, her tone sounded less than ready to move on. Just my take on it.