PDA

View Full Version : Trade Idea

tm1119
10-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Bobby Jenks for Pat Burrell and Andy Sonnastine

Im fairly certain that the Rays would do this, because they are already regretting signing Burrell and they have had an obvious need for a closer for a while now. My thinking is that both Burrell and Sonnastine have a pretty good chance at having bounce back years. I am also on board with the thinking that Bobby is on a downward trend, and that if we can trade him we should. Burrell only has 1 year left on his deal at 9mil and could take over for Dye at LF/DH, and Sonnastine could be a pretty good cheap 5th starter with some work and a change of scenery.

Would anybody agree with a deal similar to this? And Why or why not

Zisk77
10-12-2009, 12:50 AM
We don't need another starter and we could sign Dye or Thome to do what Pat does but far cheaper.

tm1119
10-12-2009, 01:07 AM
We don't need another starter and we could sign Dye or Thome to do what Pat does but far cheaper.

How do we not need another starter? Thats crazy. You really feel comfortable with Freddy Garcia as our 5th starter next season? Other than Freddy our only other options at starter are Torres and Hudson. I like Hudson for the future, but there is a pretty good chance that he needs more developing time. And Torres just doesnt have the stuff to be a MLB starter. And what if 1 of our starters goes down for an extended period of time next season? In my opinion we dont have enough starting pitching.
And if we can let Dye and Jenks go and only add Burrell's contract we will be saving somewhere around 5Mil in salary from last season.

Scottiehaswheels
10-12-2009, 01:38 AM
I can't see the Ray's even contemplating Burrell and an A prospect for Bobby, let alone a decent starter like Sonnanstine.

guillensdisciple
10-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Bobby will sell for a top 10 prospect and and a top 20. I would assume it would be something similar to the Vazquez deal. The White Sox just have to be smart, because it seems like we stole Flowers from the Braves. I suggest we trade with the Indians, Mets, or Red Sox. These organizations have luck producing quality players in their minor league systems.

CHISOXFAN13
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Bobby will sell for a top 10 prospect and and a top 20. I would assume it would be something similar to the Vazquez deal. The White Sox just have to be smart, because it seems like we stole Flowers from the Braves. I suggest we trade with the Indians, Mets, or Red Sox. These organizations have luck producing quality players in their minor league systems.

Stole him? The guy we traded for him won 15 games, had an sub-3 ERA and struck out 244. Not quite the thievery you make it out to be.

Domeshot17
10-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I know we all hate Javy and he wouldn't have done that here with Ozzie, but ask any Braves fan and they think they won that deal by a landslide. Javy was cy young calibur if the offense could have scored a few more wons and got him a few more wins

tm1119
10-12-2009, 11:23 AM
I can't see the Ray's even contemplating Burrell and an A prospect for Bobby, let alone a decent starter like Sonnanstine.

Burrell was very underwhelming last season, and the Rays have several other candidates to start in the OF/DH. Crawford, Upton, and Zobrist are pretty much set as the starting OF. They can afford to lose Burrell as the DH with the young talent they have coming up like Joyce, Jennings, and a few others.
And who exactly is the A prospect? Sonnastine is 26 and couldnt stick in the majors last season. And again hes just not going to have a spot in the rotation next season. Wade Davis will be the 5th starter next season, and they still have Hellickson, and a couple other young pitchers waiting in the wings as well.

Pablo_Honey
10-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Burrell was very underwhelming last season, and the Rays have several other candidates to start in the OF/DH. Crawford, Upton, and Zobrist are pretty much set as the starting OF. They can afford to lose Burrell as the DH with the young talent they have coming up like Joyce, Jennings, and a few others.
And who exactly is the A prospect? Sonnastine is 26 and couldnt stick in the majors last season. And again hes just not going to have a spot in the rotation next season. Wade Davis will be the 5th starter next season, and they still have Hellickson, and a couple other young pitchers waiting in the wings as well.

I'm sorry if I come off offensive, but you just listed reasons why we shouldn't trade for either one of them. Burrell's getting paid 9 mil and even if he comes back to his Phillies form, he'd be a marginal upgrade from Thome at a much more expensive price tag. We don't need another aging, slow, horrible fielding, homer-or-nothing strikeout machine. Unless Rays eat up his contract, which I doubt they will, no way we should have Burrell on our team. And Sonnanstine? Umm, no thanks. Freddy can put up better numbers and if he goes down or is ineffective, we have Hudson ready in the wings. Not to mention, Sonnanstine puts up "good" numbers only at home.

soxinem1
10-12-2009, 12:11 PM

We will not know that for a few years. After all, he's had a total of what, ten AB's at this level?

I do not like Vazquez, but he did have a very nice season cover to cover for ATL.

Flowers does not have me convinced that he is MLB material. His swing seems long and slow. Defensively we haven't seen much yet.

Thus, me thinks it is a wee bit early to make the 'we fleeced 'em' claim.

Zisk77
10-12-2009, 01:12 PM
How do we not need another starter? Thats crazy. You really feel comfortable with Freddy Garcia as our 5th starter next season? Other than Freddy our only other options at starter are Torres and Hudson. I like Hudson for the future, but there is a pretty good chance that he needs more developing time. And Torres just doesnt have the stuff to be a MLB starter. And what if 1 of our starters goes down for an extended period of time next season? In my opinion we dont have enough starting pitching.
And if we can let Dye and Jenks go and only add Burrell's contract we will be saving somewhere around 5Mil in salary from last season.

We are solid 1-4 and Yes I am confident either Freddy or Hudson will be fine as a 5th starter. How is Andy Sonnanstine a significantly better risk? Its not like you are saying we are getting Jon lester or something. IMO letting jenks go is a big mistake and leaves another big hole (maybe 2 if Thornton can't close) in the pen. Why seek a big contract in Burrell who is another k or homer guy who can't field? I much rather spend 9 mil on someone like Abreu, Matsui, or Bay although some will prolly cost more than 9 mil.

tm1119
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
We are solid 1-4 and Yes I am confident either Freddy or Hudson will be fine as a 5th starter. How is Andy Sonnanstine a significantly better risk? Its not like you are saying we are getting Jon lester or something. IMO letting jenks go is a big mistake and leaves another big hole (maybe 2 if Thornton can't close) in the pen. Why seek a big contract in Burrell who is another k or homer guy who can't field? I much rather spend 9 mil on someone like Abreu, Matsui, or Bay although some will prolly cost more than 9 mil.

Where you in the same boat of people going into this year saying that Colon and Contreras were good as our 4th and 5th starters? I will say right now that Freddy Garcia will be lucky to make 15 starts next season, whether its because of injury or ineffectiveness. We cant go into next season with a guy who was out of baseball 4 months ago as our only option at 5th starter. And Hudson was in A ball at the start of this season and not even regarded as a high prospect. I need to see more from him before I'm ready to name him a starter on the big league club.

Dibbs
10-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Stole him? The guy we traded for him won 15 games, had an sub-3 ERA and struck out 244. Not quite the thievery you make it out to be.

My thoughts exactly. That trade may have cost us a division title. We did not steal anything in that trade.

oeo
10-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I know we all hate Javy and he wouldn't have done that here with Ozzie, but ask any Braves fan and they think they won that deal by a landslide. Javy was cy young calibur if the offense could have scored a few more wons and got him a few more wins

Javy had a career year. They happen. Who wants to put money on him returning to his mediocre self in 2010?

Pablo_Honey
10-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Where you in the same boat of people going into this year saying that Colon and Contreras were good as our 4th and 5th starters? I will say right now that Freddy Garcia will be lucky to make 15 starts next season, whether its because of injury or ineffectiveness. We cant go into next season with a guy who was out of baseball 4 months ago as our only option at 5th starter. And Hudson was in A ball at the start of this season and not even regarded as a high prospect. I need to see more from him before I'm ready to name him a starter on the big league club.

Yes, that was an issue for 2008 team. 4th AND 5th starters were both old veterans coming off major injuries. Right now we have FOUR solid, young, proven starters. That is good enough to contend in AL Central at least. Freddy was absolutely dominant except that one outing against Tigers. Unless stated otherwise by Kenny and Ozzie, Freddy is our 5th starter for 2010. If Freddy goes down in 15 games, that's okay because by then the season's half-done and trading deadline is nearing. Meanwhile, Hudson can get ready himself for major league in Charlotte or work out of the pen with the Sox. Bullpen and offense are more pressing needs and we are not getting any better by trading our closer for a starter that posted above 6.00 ERA and a cleanup hitter with SLG below .400.

Sargeant79
10-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Bobby Jenks for Pat Burrell and Andy Sonnastine

Im fairly certain that the Rays would do this, because they are already regretting signing Burrell and they have had an obvious need for a closer for a while now. My thinking is that both Burrell and Sonnastine have a pretty good chance at having bounce back years. I am also on board with the thinking that Bobby is on a downward trend, and that if we can trade him we should. Burrell only has 1 year left on his deal at 9mil and could take over for Dye at LF/DH, and Sonnastine could be a pretty good cheap 5th starter with some work and a change of scenery.

Would anybody agree with a deal similar to this? And Why or why not

The main reason in favor of trading Jenks is to save money and have someone close for cheaper. This deal does not accomplish that. Burrell makes more money than Jenks and is not the type of hitter that this team needs.

If you trade Jenks, you do it because you plan on using that money on another acquisition (and ideally one who is a better hitter and fielder than Burrell). If Jenks only make $1-2 million, I guarantee you no one is discussing trading him.

Zisk77
10-12-2009, 05:14 PM

No i wasn't in the boat the Colon & Contreras would be ok in 4th and 5th spots which is alot differnt then just a question mark in the 5th. hell, if the 5th spot goes sour you could always get a guy before the deadline anyway. people are always selling off the Pavano's & the washburn's of the world at the deadline anyway.

And as said before how is Sonnenstine a safer option? As a previos poster said he got sent down for a time last year. i don't fully trust Freddy for the Season but Hudson does have the goods. Yes he started at A ball but he dominated at every level on his rise and looked very good at the major league level. he has MUCH better stuff than Sonnastine.

Still the biggest reason you you don't do the trade is not the pitching its Pat Burrell at 9m. he just isn't really good anymore. the Phils (despite being an inbalanced lefty club) dropped him but showed Ibanez the money. That should say something. Now i wouldn't have any qualms if we traded some prospects not named Hudson for Sonnenstine if the org wanted more seasoning for Dan.

WSox597
10-12-2009, 06:11 PM
My thoughts exactly. That trade may have cost us a division title. We did not steal anything in that trade.

I'm not so sure about that, even if he pitched that well for the Sox that pesky offense might have still hosed the team.