PDA

View Full Version : Did Darren Oliver pitch for the Sox in 2000?

Whitesox029
10-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm watching the Angels-Red Sox game and my mind is playing tricks on me. I could swear Oliver had a cup of tea with the Sox as a starter in 2000, but his baseball-reference.com page says he's never pitched for the Sox. Chances are I'm thinking of someone else...Little help?

DumpJerry
10-09-2009, 11:46 PM
No. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2000.shtml)

He has never (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/oliveda02.shtml) been with the Sox.

WhiteSox5187
10-10-2009, 12:22 AM
No. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2000.shtml)

He has never (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/oliveda02.shtml) been with the Sox.

Wow, I had no idea Jon Garland started 13 games with the Sox back in 2000.

Brian26
10-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm watching the Angels-Red Sox game and my mind is playing tricks on me. I could swear Oliver had a cup of tea with the Sox as a starter in 2000, but his baseball-reference.com page says he's never pitched for the Sox. Chances are I'm thinking of someone else...Little help?

Are you thinking of Ken Hill, maybe?

tacosalbarojas
10-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Are you thinking of Ken Hill, maybe?Or unfortunately!

Lip Man 1
10-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Well you only had to think about Hill for a game!

July 4, 2000 - Ray Durham and Jose Valentin lead off the Sox half of the first inning in Kansas City with back to back home runs. It was the second time in team history a game started that way and the first time since 1937. The game also marked the major league debut for Jon Garland who only lasted three innings in the 10 - 7 loss. It was the end of the Sox 12 game road winning streak. The last ten of those 12 road wins came against teams with records of at least .500, making the Sox the only team since 1900 to accomplish that.

Lip

Zisk77
10-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I was at the Home debut of Jon Garland...a dh against Seattle. jon gave up a grand slam Hr to jay Buhner in the 1st inning. The opposing pitcher was the major league debut of one Joel Piniero who absolutely baffled us (some things never change).

TDog
10-10-2009, 12:52 PM
I was at the Home debut of Jon Garland...a dh against Seattle. jon gave up a grand slam Hr to jay Buhner in the 1st inning. The opposing pitcher was the major league debut of one Joel Piniero who absolutely baffled us (some things never change).

That was also the same season Jake Westbrook made his major league debut against the White Sox giving up seven hits, two walks and six earned runs in 1.2 innings.

If by things never changing you mean Sox fans only remembering young pitchers fulfilling their beliefs about ineffective White Sox hitting, you may be right. Piniero, of course, only pitched six innings and gave up two runs. It isn't like he pitched seven shutout innings the way rookie Carlos Torres did in his first start against the Cubs this year.

Lip Man 1
10-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Of course the Sox also faced over 22 'newcomers' for the first time this season and the Orioles radio announcers in April talked about how the Sox struggle against pitchers they never faced before; before Bergesen faced the Sox and beat them.

Bill Melton ripped them again this season on the postgame show for another miserable performance against a newcomer, Ozzie Guillen called the team out for the caliber of pitchers they were losing to and in my next WSI interview the guest talks about how the Sox do not consistently focus against pitchers they've never seen before, stating how frustrating it was to see them handle Zach Grienke and then the next day have no plate discipline, no focus, against a guy with a high ERA.

I'm sure it's just all coincidence.

Lip

Zisk77
10-10-2009, 08:31 PM
That was also the same season Jake Westbrook made his major league debut against the White Sox giving up seven hits, two walks and six earned runs in 1.2 innings.

If by things never changing you mean Sox fans only remembering young pitchers fulfilling their beliefs about ineffective White Sox hitting, you may be right. Piniero, of course, only pitched six innings and gave up two runs. It isn't like he pitched seven shutout innings the way rookie Carlos Torres did in his first start against the Cubs this year.

Carlos Torres 1st start wasnt against the cubs it was tampa Bay. I also was being facetious about losing to rookie pitchers & not trying to make a point.