PDA

View Full Version : New Babe Ruth footage discovered

Fenway
10-09-2009, 03:49 PM
MLB has just been given footage showing Babe Ruth playing in the outfield. It is the first known footage of him on defense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/sports/baseball/09video.html

ewokpelts
10-09-2009, 03:51 PM
cool. now i'll wait for the 3 hour bob costas specil on mlb network about it

tebman
10-09-2009, 03:58 PM
cool. now i'll wait for the 3 hour bob costas specil on mlb network about it

:rolling:

LongLiveFisk
10-09-2009, 04:01 PM
They said in the video they were trying to determine the exact date of the game. I'm not sure how they could do that. They narrowed it down to sometime in 1928? How? :scratch:

#1swisher
10-09-2009, 04:47 PM
They said in the video they were trying to determine the exact date of the game. I'm not sure how they could do that. They narrowed it down to sometime in 1928? How? :scratch:

teal *it's the uni's:redneck*

oeo
10-09-2009, 05:05 PM

By who else is playing in the game? :dunno:

soxinem1
10-09-2009, 05:19 PM

I've seen an interview with the archive guy a while back.

They look for characteristics of the park, among other things. If Chesterfield sponsored the team in 1950 and had their banner in RF that year, for example, they knew what too look for for footage for that season.

Also, if seats were added or an addition was made to the park, fences and dimension markers were changed (which happened a lot), certain players were on the team in a certain year, so and so was manager in the clip, if a guy pitched for the other team and struck Ruth out, they can look at box scores of that guy on that team and pinpoint the times he struck Ruth out in his career while pitching for them, etc.

Sounds like a cool job to me!http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

Lip Man 1
10-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm still waiting to see the 1964 Red Sox-White Sox game that they supposedly got. I say supposedly because it's been a year and still nothing.

Gees, ya think because it involves the Red Sox it would be re-run ad naseum by now!

Lip

Fenway
10-10-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm still waiting to see the 1964 Red Sox-White Sox game that they supposedly got. I say supposedly because it's been a year and still nothing.

Gees, ya think because it involves the Red Sox it would be re-run ad naseum by now!

Lip

LOL Lip

Game was played April 17, 1964

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1964/B04170BOS1964.htm

The tape was overlooked for years as it was labeled JFK TRIBUTE by the former WHDH-TV and it was three reels of two inch video tape.

It was Opening Day and all procedes to the game would go to the JFK Library and the game still only drew 20,000 fans.

It includes the pre-game with Jackie, Ted, Bobby, Caroline and JFK Jr on the field. Carol Channing sang the anthem. As far as anybody can remember it marked the only time Tom Yawkey actually spoke to the fans.

NESN will air the game in November and MLB Network will run it after that. Curt Gowdy and Ned Martin did the call and the tape includes the commercials.

DumpJerry
10-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Carbon dating.

TommyJohn
10-10-2009, 11:22 AM
LOL Lip

Game was played April 17, 1964

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1964/B04170BOS1964.htm

The tape was overlooked for years as it was labeled JFK TRIBUTE by the former WHDH-TV and it was three reels of two inch video tape.

It was Opening Day and all procedes to the game would go to the JFK Library and the game still only drew 20,000 fans.

It includes the pre-game with Jackie, Ted, Bobby, Caroline and JFK Jr on the field. Carol Channing sang the anthem. As far as anybody can remember it marked the only time Tom Yawkey actually spoke to the fans.

NESN will air the game in November and MLB Network will run it after that. Curt Gowdy and Ned Martin did the call and the tape includes the commercials.
Now that is one not to be missed. Well, except when Carol Channing sings the National Anthem. I be muting that part.Isn't there also footage of the Tartabull-to-Howard throw to get Ken Berry out there somewhere? The play itself, if not the entire game?

Railsplitter
10-10-2009, 03:36 PM

Since Yankee Stadium opened in 1923 and the Yankees didn't adopt numbers until 1929, that's one way to narrow it down. Also, if there's a team mate in the film who was with the Yankees only in 1928, that's another way to narrow it down.

Fenway
10-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Now that is one not to be missed. Well, except when Carol Channing sings the National Anthem. I be muting that part.Isn't there also footage of the Tartabull-to-Howard throw to get Ken Berry out there somewhere? The play itself, if not the entire game?

The Berry play is on this DVD

It is worth getting simply for the entire telecast of game 161 against the Twins is on the bonus disc. Oldest surviving color telecast

http://services.bostonglobe.com/globestore/category.cgi?item=VIDBBBOS67