PDA

View Full Version : closer?

Iguana775
06-09-2002, 02:32 PM
since people are starting to write off keith as our closer, what are the other options we have for a closer?

i was thinking last nite that maybe marte could. he has a pretty good fastball. i saw it clocked at 95 last nite. has over a K per inning pitched and a .235 ave against. anyone have thoughts??

Jerry_Manuel
06-09-2002, 02:40 PM
Wait. I think we can agree Keith is bad in tie games or whatever. So were going to move him out of the closer role, and make him a reliever? Where he'll come in the game in close situations. I don't think so.

RedPinStripes
06-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Trade him Trade now!

duke of dorwood
06-09-2002, 02:45 PM
Closer is the only spot for him the way he pitches, and he make too much $ to trade.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
since people are starting to write off keith as our closer, what are the other options we have for a closer?

i was thinking last nite that maybe marte could. he has a pretty good fastball. i saw it clocked at 95 last nite. has over a K per inning pitched and a .235 ave against. anyone have thoughts?? marte was prob going to get cut with pitt...... there had to be a reason for that.

Iguana775
06-09-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Wait. I think we can agree Keith is bad in tie games or whatever. So were going to move him out of the closer role, and make him a reliever? Where he'll come in the game in close situations. I don't think so.

no, i meant if foulke would be traded or something.

Jerry_Manuel
06-09-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Trade him Trade now!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/sellhigh/tradefoulke.jpg

NUKE_CLEVELAND
06-09-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Remember last season when there was talk of making Foulke a starter?

LOL!!

Garrison
06-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Closer options IMO:
Ginter
Glover
Howry anyone...
...NOT FOULKE!

delben91
06-09-2002, 10:06 PM
Is anyone out there going to stand up for foulke? I mean, it isn't as if the rest of the team has been playing lights out. He's not the only one to struggle the last few weeks. Since he's the closer, when he has a bad outing (or 3), it will be that much more noticeable. Now, I seem to recall articles at the beginning of the year touting him as compareable to Rivera of the Yankees, not shabby company. You all can write him off after a few bad games if you want, but he's done too much for the sox for the last few years for me to give up on him just yet. Hey, maybe if Buerhle gets shelled next time out we can get rid of him. Oh, yeah, and lets sit Konerko down cuz he went ofer today. Yeesh

Daver
06-09-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Is anyone out there going to stand up for foulke? I mean, it isn't as if the rest of the team has been playing lights out. He's not the only one to struggle the last few weeks. Since he's the closer, when he has a bad outing (or 3), it will be that much more noticeable. Now, I seem to recall articles at the beginning of the year touting him as compareable to Rivera of the Yankees, not shabby company. You all can write him off after a few bad games if you want, but he's done too much for the sox for the last few years for me to give up on him just yet. Hey, maybe if Buerhle gets shelled next time out we can get rid of him. Oh, yeah, and lets sit Konerko down cuz he went ofer today. Yeesh

I wanted Foulke traded LAST year,because he had peaked in value,the Sox chose to sign him instead.Time will tell who was right.

hold2dibber
06-10-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Trade him Trade now!

Yeah, trade him now when is value is lower than it has been because of his slumpm, and we have no other proven option at closer, and despite the fact that he's been one of the top 5 closers in baseball over the last five years. Makes sense to me!

Sheesh - the guy is in a slump, but he hasn't been getting regular work and he's been great the last three years. I say give him some time to pull out of the slump, when he's getting some regular work. Trading Foulke now would be ridiculous - we're pretty thin pitching wise already and he's been one of the top relievers in baseball. He's the last guy in the bullpen I'd trade.

whitesoxwilkes
06-10-2002, 05:15 PM
agreed. keith needs to get in more than one or 2 games a week.

and, not that this matters, but he's one of the nicest guys in the world. my girlfriend and i have been to about 20 games this year and always show up early for bp, and always say hello to him since he stands on the LF line during ball-shagging time. he'll always stop by and say hello to us on his trot back into the dugout when sox bp is over..and usually signs for the kiddies standing there too. he's a class act just going through a rough time (mainly since he just ain;t gettin many pitching opportunities right now)

KruseControl04
06-10-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

Remember last season when there was talk of making Foulke a starter?

LOL!!

hahahaha...... Yeah.... good times!