PDA

View Full Version : Wise

LITTLE NELL
10-08-2009, 08:36 AM
How do others feel about Wise for next year as 5th outfielder.
I hated him as a starter but he came up big-time in a few games this year. How can anyone not remember the great catch to save Marks perfecto. Nice throw the other night to throw out a Tiger at home plate.
He might be a handy guy to keep around, good speed and not a butcher in the OF.

soxfanreggie
10-08-2009, 08:43 AM
I've said many times before that sometimes you have to "settle" on a guy in a position (whether as a starter or bench player). If keeping Wise helps us acquire an everyday player who will make a big impact for us, I'm all for it. I don't want to see Wise anywhere near the starting line-up except in a spot-start "resting" basis.

Noneck
10-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Will a 5th OFer really be needed next year? If the Sox have a utility guy like Nix next year and with the loss of Dye and Thome (need for pinch runners), I am thinking that a 5th OFer would be a waste of a roster slot.

Sargeant79
10-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Will a 5th OFer really be needed next year? If the Sox have a utility guy like Nix next year and with the loss of Dye and Thome (need for pinch runners), I am thinking that a 5th OFer would be a waste of a roster slot.

Agreed. Plus, I think Ozzie would be tempted to play Wise more than he should if Wise is still on the roster.

IMHO, our starting outfield next year should be Quentin, Rios, and a free agent or trade acquisition. Podsednik and Kotsay should be your outfield bench, with Kotsay also getting a start at 1B once in a while and both rotating into the DH spot from time to time.

LITTLE NELL
10-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Agreed. Plus, I think Ozzie would be tempted to play Wise more than he should if Wise is still on the roster.

IMHO, our starting outfield next year should be Quentin, Rios, and a free agent or trade acquisition. Podsednik and Kotsay should be your outfield bench, with Kotsay also getting a start at 1B once in a while and both rotating into the DH spot from time to time.
If we sign another outfielder then Wise is most likely gone and that would be fine with me. The guy I really want to keep is Kotsay.

Sargeant79
10-08-2009, 09:50 AM
If we sign another outfielder then Wise is most likely gone and that would be fine with me. The guy I really want to keep is Kotsay.

I agree, and judging from his public comments, Ozzie seems to agree with you as well.

voodoochile
10-08-2009, 10:04 AM

Yeah, stud RF, Pods and Kotsay would be a very deep OF and also solve the backup 1B problem. In fact it might lead to a shortage of AB to hand out.

ode to veeck
10-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah, stud RF, Pods and Kotsay would be a very deep OF and also solve the backup 1B problem. In fact it might lead to a shortage of AB to hand out.

Tha's the key point, even if Dye is not back there's a shortage of ABs/game slots to give out already with things as it is with Rios, Q, Kotasy and Pods, assuming Q stays healthy

russ99
10-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Wise is up for arbitration, and should get a small salary bump.

Given this and his production, I wonder if the Sox might go with someone less expensive and with more upside (Jordan Danks?) on the bench and cut Wise loose?

Red Barchetta
10-08-2009, 10:32 AM

...with Pods' and Quentin's history of injuries, we might need 6 outfielders!

Noneck
10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
...with Pods' and Quentin's history of injuries, we might need 6 outfielders!

You did notice, I didn't say who the Sox 4 Ofers would be.:wink:

kittle42
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Let's hope we don't have to have Wise on this team next season.

soltrain21
10-08-2009, 11:16 AM

Given this and his production, I wonder if the Sox might go with someone less expensive and with more upside (Jordan Danks?) on the bench and cut Wise loose?

There is no way the Sox bring up Danks only to have him sit on the bench. He needs to get consistent at bats.

soxfanreggie
10-08-2009, 11:33 AM
The guy I really want to keep is Kotsay.

I really like what he gave us this season and look forward to seeing what he can do next season.

Lip Man 1
10-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Danks has missed time the past two (if I remember correctly) minor league seasons because of wrist injuries, that reminds me of some of the issues Brian Anderson had. I don't know if he's ready or close to ready even to sit on a bench in the big leagues.

DeWayne Wise (career .214 hitter) has no business being on the White Sox roster in any capacity in 2010.

Lip

JB98
10-08-2009, 01:24 PM
DeWayne Wise (career .214 hitter) has no business being on the White Sox roster in any capacity in 2010.

Agreed. He needs to go. People always thought I was anti-BA and pro-Wise. Not true. I wanted them both gone. BA is gone and hopefully Wise is soon to follow.

Tragg
10-08-2009, 01:29 PM
How do others feel about Wise for next year as 5th outfielder..
For goodness sakes. ARe you kidding?
He's horrible.
Mercy!

Oh and Podsednik and Kotsay are likely to be our 4th and 5th outfielders.

doublem23
10-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Agreed. He needs to go. People always thought I was anti-BA and pro-Wise. Not true. I wanted them both gone. BA is gone and hopefully Wise is soon to follow.

Absolutely. It would almost be incomprehensible to me that they can't dig up 1 guy who would be better than Dewayne Wise. Thanks for the HR in Game 1 of the ALDS last year, thanks for the catch in the perfect game, but please leave now.

Domeshot17
10-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Wise and Kotsay might give Ozzie a system overload. 2 Bench players he has to find a way to get in the line up (joke obviously).

Thanks for the catch, but we need to get away from guys who cant hit 250 or higher.

areilly
10-08-2009, 01:42 PM
How do others feel about Wise for next year as 5th outfielder.

Uneasy. Nauseous. Apprehensive. That One Catch was nice, but there are only so many bobbled line drives and fly balls over the inexplicably shallow-playing centerfielder's head I can stomach.

tm1119
10-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Jordan Danks was pretty bad in AA. He needs to figure out how to stop striking out so much at the lower levels before he gets anywhere near an MLB team. Wise would be a better option off of the bench next year.

Tragg
10-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Wise and Kotsay might give Ozzie a system overload. 2 Bench players he has to find a way to get in the line up (joke obviously).
It defintely will - I'd cut Podesednik loose, but I don't think the Sox will.

akingamongstmen
10-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Jordan Danks was pretty bad in AA. He needs to figure out how to stop striking out so much at the lower levels before he gets anywhere near an MLB team. Wise would be a better option off of the bench next year.

That's quite an indictment of our minor league OF depth when you think about it. I hope that Danks improves ASAP and Mitchell progresses quickly.

As for Wise, I appreciate his efforts, but don't think that he belongs on a winning MLB roster. I hope that he's able to land with a team looking for a veteran OF to back up some young guys (maybe Pittsburgh?).

oeo
10-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Danks has missed time the past two (if I remember correctly) minor league seasons because of wrist injuries, that reminds me of some of the issues Brian Anderson had. I don't know if he's ready or close to ready even to sit on a bench in the big leagues.

Are you sure about that? Danks wasn't signed until the deadline last year, so his time consisted of only a couple weeks and then he was a replacement for Stefan Gartrell in the AFL. I don't remember him being hurt.

oeo
10-08-2009, 03:03 PM

Other than the strikeouts, he was playing pretty well until he had wrist problems.

tm1119
10-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Other than the strikeouts, he was playing pretty well until he had wrist problems.

He had about a 100 or so AB stretch where he was ok, but other than that he was indeed pretty bad. And K's are a pretty big deal for a young hitter who doesnt have much, if any, power. I guess i just dont see all the hype he gets here, but hopefully he proves me wrong.

TDog
10-08-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't believe Wise will be on the Sox next year. He came up in 2008 when management believed they needed him, he ended up bench player by the end of 2009, and I think his time with the Sox is done.

He outperformed a couple of veteran outfielders, both offensively and defensively late in the season, though. While he may be the poster boy for an ineffective season in the eyes of some, it isn't like he was a key to the team's failure in 2009.

DirtySox
10-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Danks has only played one season in the minors due to how late he signed.

The only thing MLB ready about Danks is his defense.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I have nothing against keeping Wise, but if a better player comes along, then don't hesitate to make a move. Wise has made some pretty good plays this season, he just can hit for crap.

Lip Man 1
10-08-2009, 05:55 PM
OEO:

I know he spent time on the DL this past year with a wrist injury...other than that like I said I'm not sure.

Lip

It's Dankerific
10-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Wise is the key to 2010. We've put a lot of time and effort into his growth as ballplayer. 2010 is the time to reap that investment!!!

Marqhead
10-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Wise is the key to 2010. We've put a lot of time and effort into his growth as ballplayer. 2010 is the time to reap that investment!!!

:dtroll:

Lip Man 1
10-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Sure Dank anything you say!

:rolleyes:

Lip

It's Dankerific
10-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Sure Dank anything you say!

:rolleyes:

Lip

Whatever. I don't see why we kept him ahead of everybody else if we didnt think he had some upside coming.

if we just let him go, then we're even stupider.

Madscout
10-08-2009, 07:29 PM
He is not good in RF, he isn't good in CF, and he is passable in LF. He can't hit. He doesn't run the bases well. I see no reason to keep a defensive replacement for LF, and a bad defensive replacement for CF and RF. Bring up another bullpen arm.

kittle42
10-08-2009, 08:55 PM
:dtroll:

Exactly.

areilly
10-08-2009, 09:38 PM
He had about a 100 or so AB stretch where he was ok, but other than that he was indeed pretty bad. And K's are a pretty big deal for a young hitter who doesnt have much, if any, power. I guess i just dont see all the hype he gets here, but hopefully he proves me wrong.

And an even bigger deal for someone like Wise, who is 31 years old. What we've seen is pretty much all we'll ever get.

It's Dankerific
10-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Until he is no longer in a white sox uniform I will root for him to do the best he possibly can!

CLR01
10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
You can't spell pretty ****ing solid without spelling Dewayne Wise. Lock him up lifetime, Kenny.

Johnny Mostil
10-08-2009, 10:23 PM
You can't spell pretty ****ing solid without spelling Dewayne Wise. Lock him up lifetime, Kenny.

Didn't see "pretty ****ing solid" here (http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=dewayne+wise&t=1000&a=n), but I did see "awed eyes win" along with "a wide new yes.":cool:

tm1119
10-08-2009, 10:27 PM
And an even bigger deal for someone like Wise, who is 31 years old. What we've seen is pretty much all we'll ever get.

Ok? Im not defending Wise, I hope we can find someone better than him as well. Wise sucking doesnt mean you bring up a prospect who clearly isnt ready.

CLR01
10-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Didn't see "pretty ****ing solid" here (http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=dewayne+wise&t=1000&a=n), but I did see "awed eyes win" along with "a wide new yes.":cool:

There are signs in there. :mg:

"Wean Dye Wise"

areilly
10-08-2009, 10:42 PM

From now on, I will only refer to that him by that name.

"Hey, what happened with the Sox game last night?"

"They had it until Awny booted one in the 8th."

Ok? Im not defending Wise, I hope we can find someone better than him as well. Wise sucking doesnt mean you bring up a prospect who clearly isnt ready.

So you'd advocate sticking with a veteran who still clearly isn't ready?

Johnny Mostil
10-08-2009, 10:48 PM
There are signs in there. :mg:

"Wean Dye Wise"

Heh. Now I know where to turn when I can't fathom one of Ozzie's moves . . .

Boondock Saint
10-08-2009, 10:51 PM

Your bitterness knows no bounds.

CLR01
10-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Your bitterness knows no bounds.

"A Weedy Swine" is an embarrassment to baseball. I'm sorry you disagree.

Boondock Saint
10-08-2009, 11:10 PM

I don't want Wise on the team, either. But I also think that those super-sarcastic posts are less about DeWayne Wise than they are about someone else.

areilly
10-08-2009, 11:37 PM

Wade Wees Yin, man. That's all I want to know.

Johnny Mostil
10-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Wade Wees Yin, man. That's all I want to know.

I blame a wide weensy.

voodoochile
10-09-2009, 12:02 AM
i don't want wise on the team, either. But i also think that those super-sarcastic posts are less about dewayne wise than they are about someone else.

no way!

Johnny Mostil
10-09-2009, 12:04 AM
no way!

A bad roan sinner?

Dibbs
10-09-2009, 04:40 AM
I see no reason a .184 hitter won't help this team.

Soxaredabest
10-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Why do we even need a 5th outfielder? I think thats a waste of a roster spot.

voodoochile
10-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Ideally it's someone like Kotsay who can also backup 1B or other positions too.

With 10 starters, 11 pitcher and 1 backup catcher there are exactly 3 free slots, so 1 BU IF, 1 BU OF and 1 guy who backs up both is a pretty standard arrangement. Ideally all of them have a good enough bat to PH occasionally and at least one of them should have enough speed to be used as a PR.

What do you suggest instead?

russ99
10-09-2009, 10:34 AM

If the 5th outfielder and 25th man on the roster is a big decision for the roster, we're in really good shape for 2010. :D:

remy
10-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Dwayne has declared free agency rather than accept an outright assignment to AAA Charlotte; the Wise saga is over.

Nellie_Fox
10-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Dwayne has declared free agency rather than accept an outright assignment to AAA Charlotte; the Wise saga is over.Who's Dwayne?

PaleHoser
10-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Dwayne has declared free agency rather than accept an outright assignment to AAA Charlotte; the Wise saga is over.

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091009&content_id=7409554&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

So does this turn into his Appreciation Thread?

gregoriop
10-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Who's Dwayne?

http://thm-a04.yimg.com/image/db71f92acc2e42b0

remy
10-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Pardon me; "Dewayne"

The Immigrant
10-09-2009, 01:42 PM
He'll probably be back with the Sox on a minor league contract.

TDog
10-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Ideally it's someone like Kotsay who can also backup 1B or other positions too.

With 10 starters, 11 pitcher and 1 backup catcher there are exactly 3 free slots, so 1 BU IF, 1 BU OF and 1 guy who backs up both is a pretty standard arrangement. Ideally all of them have a good enough bat to PH occasionally and at least one of them should have enough speed to be used as a PR.

What do you suggest instead?

The debate over the future of Wise is now moot (unless no team wants to sign him and he ends up signing a White Sox minor league contract in a move similar to the one that brought him to the Sox in the first place), but your point about roster flexibility underscores the allure of having flexibility in the designated hitter role. with Jim Thome (and it didn't start with him -- going back even earlier than Greg Luzinski with the White Sox organization, beginning, I believe, with Deron Johnson in 1974) you had a DH who did nothing but hit, saddling the team with a slow middle-of-the-lineup hitter who likely needs to come out for a pinch runner after reaching base in a close late game and who, when not in the lineup, is only available to pinch-hit.

Pursuing such a discussion might be considered a thread hijack, however.

Wise works hard enough that he should get offers from other teams. There is the replay of his catch in the perfect game attached to his resume. It is likely, though, that he will only be offered minor-league contracts.

DumpJerry
10-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091009&content_id=7409554&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

So does this turn into his Appreciation Thread?
Nope. Here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116051) it is.

Soxfest
10-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Good Luck and Good Bye