PDA

View Full Version : My dream for the 2010 White Sox...Prince Fielder batting clean-up.

soxfandy
10-08-2009, 01:05 AM
I read that the brewers gm said he would trade hitting for pitching this offseason, but that Braun and Fielder would be untouchable. I buy that Braun is untouchable, but I'm not buying that Fielder is. His contract year is coming up and they had extension talks that went absolutely nowhere.

I believe that a package centered around hudson and jenks would be a great start. Eventhough he would need to have his contract extended, Fielder would be great for 2010. He would solve the left handed rbi producer problem in the middle of our lineup and fill the dh role (even play 1st if we could find a taker for pk)

If KW could somehow pull that off we would be set. Sign pods for cheap to play lf and have the younger kids fight for the bullpen spots (maybe even sign somebody)

Anybody think KW will atleast explore this idea?

Rohan
10-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Well I don't think you'll see anyone as our main first baseman but Paul Konerko. And that's the way it should be. We do need a DH though.

I think this is a very possible move. the Sox would certainly need to move some money around in order to do it though.

samurai_sox
10-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Oh god no. If we get Fielder we might as well resign Colon and the Sox will have the best tag team eating champions the league has ever seen.

soltrain21
10-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Oh god no. If we get Fielder we might as well resign Colon and the Sox will have the best tag team eating champions the league has ever seen.

Yeah - he is so fat! And what a terrible year he had with his .299 average, .412 OBP, 46 homeruns and 141 rbis as a 25 year old. WHAT A FAT ASS WE DON'T NEED.

JermaineDye05
10-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Yeah - he is so fat! And what a terrible year he had with his .299 average, .412 OBP, 46 homeruns and 141 rbis as a 25 year old. WHAT A FAT ASS WE DON'T NEED.

Agreed, Prince Fielder is the good kind of fat whereas Bartolo Colon is just fat.

samurai_sox
10-08-2009, 03:06 AM

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb223/supernovavideo/_sarcasm_detector.jpg

Its off the charts!

Red Barchetta
10-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I like it, however I don't think the math will work for the 2010 budget. I also like the idea of a DH who could play a position if needed. Perhaps 70/30 at first base with Paulie.

As much as I liked and respected Thome, his fielding days were pretty much over. Similar to the end of the Frank Thomas era. I have always liked the idea of a DH who could regularly spot a starter on the field and provide the manager the option of giving a starting fielder a 1/2 day off now and then while maintaining a hot bat...

DumpJerry
10-08-2009, 08:40 AM
I believe that a package centered around hudson and jenks would be a great start.
Intriguing idea overall. However, I would not deal Hudson because he is our main insurance policy in case of a Freddy Garcia flame-out.

Marqhead
10-08-2009, 08:54 AM
The Brewers just re-signed Hoffman FWIW.

Sargeant79
10-08-2009, 08:55 AM
I read that the brewers gm said he would trade hitting for pitching this offseason, but that Braun and Fielder would be untouchable. I buy that Braun is untouchable, but I'm not buying that Fielder is. His contract year is coming up and they had extension talks that went absolutely nowhere.

I believe that a package centered around hudson and jenks would be a great start. Eventhough he would need to have his contract extended, Fielder would be great for 2010. He would solve the left handed rbi producer problem in the middle of our lineup and fill the dh role (even play 1st if we could find a taker for pk)

If KW could somehow pull that off we would be set. Sign pods for cheap to play lf and have the younger kids fight for the bullpen spots (maybe even sign somebody)

Anybody think KW will atleast explore this idea?

Bold = not gonna happen. Fielder is a Boras client. He will go to free agency. You'd be making this deal for the next two years only, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Hudson and Jenks plus another prospect...I'd do that deal.

cws05champ
10-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Around these parts, if Prince has a bad slump with the White, he will have gained 20 lbs in a week.

aryzner
10-08-2009, 09:08 AM
I like it based solely on the idea that I would get to see "the Prince" (as I call him) doing his belly-flop slides into 2nd (and on rare occasions 3rd) base.

soltrain21
10-08-2009, 10:13 AM
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb223/supernovavideo/_sarcasm_detector.jpg

Its off the charts!

Use teal then, guy.

PorkChopExpress
10-08-2009, 10:25 AM
I think a deal for Fielder will start with either Danks or Floyd. But I'd still be willing to do that for a guy like Fielder.

Noneck
10-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Fielders agent, Scott Boras. So forgetaboutit.

asindc
10-08-2009, 11:13 AM

This is not a sarcastic question, I'm just truly wondering: Does Boras, or any agent, really have anything to do with a trade transaction other than general counseling? In other words, even if Boras does not want Fielder to play for the Sox because he does not like KW, can't Fielder just simply ignore him?

Noneck
10-08-2009, 11:33 AM
This is not a sarcastic question, I'm just truly wondering: Does Boras, or any agent, really have anything to do with a trade transaction other than general counseling? In other words, even if Boras does not want Fielder to play for the Sox because he does not like KW, can't Fielder just simply ignore him?

Do you think the Sox would trade quality player(s) in order to get Fielder who is only under contract through 2010, knowing that they would then have to negotiate with Boras?

Sargeant79
10-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Boras is only an issue if we're talking about signing Fielder to an extension. He always takes his guys to free agency, and the Sox don't negotiate with him in that context. If he was traded to the Sox, he is under team control for two more years. Boras has less leverage in arbitration hearings, and the Sox have gone to arbitration with his clients in non-contentuous situations before (i.e. Crede).

As long as the Sox go into this expecting Fielder to be here two years and then walking away as a likely Type A free agent, Boras shouldn't be a factor. It also makes it easier for the Sox to decide what type of trade value makes it worth it to do the deal if you take away that uncertainty.

Plus, I'm not sure I would want Fielder at the nine figure extension he would be likely to get. He strikes me as a perfect example of a guy who would be worth every penny for the first few years and then tail off earlier than his age would suggest he should owing to his conditioning.

Noneck
10-08-2009, 11:41 AM
As long as the Sox go into this expecting Fielder to be here two years and then walking away as a likely Type A free agent, Boras shouldn't be a factor.

My understanding is that Fielder is under contract through 2010.

Sargeant79
10-08-2009, 11:53 AM
My understanding is that Fielder is under contract through 2010.

He is, but the Brewers hold his rights through 2011 and he is not a free agent until after that season.

Noneck
10-08-2009, 11:56 AM
He is, but the Brewers hold his rights through 2011 and he is not a free agent until after that season.

Does that mean he has an option and if so, do you know what the option is?

Sargeant79
10-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Does that mean he has an option and if so, do you know what the option is?

I'm not positive, but I don't think it is an option...I think it's just an arbitration year. Someone will let me know if I'm wrong though.

NLaloosh
10-08-2009, 12:40 PM
keep dreaming...

akingamongstmen
10-08-2009, 01:52 PM
For what it would take to get Fielder (players traded away + his salary), I would rather hang onto Konerko and go after a premium RF. I doubt we'll be doing any big time aquisitions, though.

JermaineDye05
10-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I forgot to answer the question before.

YES, I think Kenny will certainly explore that possibility.

NO, I don't think it will happen as the Brewers would command way too much and I feel Prince brings a lot of baggage with him in the clubhouse. We all saw what he did after Mota knocked him down. Then again, maybe Kenny likes that kind of fire. Peavy certainly has the fire however he keeps it on the field.

Zisk77
10-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I think a deal for Fielder will start with either Danks or Floyd. But I'd still be willing to do that for a guy like Fielder.

I think that would be a big mistake. The most important part of the game is starting pitching. And with Floyd/Danks we have affordable guys that are arguable future cy young contenders. I also would not trade Hudson. While Fielder is good it seems a whole lot easier acquiring, drafting, and developing sluggers.

Foulke You
10-08-2009, 05:25 PM
This explains why the Brewers haven't been able to sign him to an extension. Boras is probably asking for the Mark Teixera type contract.

beasly213
10-09-2009, 04:13 PM
So I don't know if anyone heard it but the other day on Bores and Bernstein Bores had the idea for the White Sox to trade one of their starting pitchers to the Brewers for Prince Fielder.

The idea being the Sox will need a thumper in the lineup and they have enough depth that they can afford to trade one of their 4 top pitchers.

So would you guys be for trading say a Flyod or Danks for Prince Fielder?

EDIT

OOOPS Didn't see the other thread. Mods please merge.

oeo
10-09-2009, 04:27 PM
So I don't know if anyone heard it but the other day on Bores and Bernstein Bores had the idea for the White Sox to trade one of their starting pitchers to the Brewers for Prince Fielder.

The idea being the Sox will need a thumper in the lineup and they have enough depth that they can afford to trade one of their 4 top pitchers.

EDIT

Hell no. Danks will be a Cy Young contender in 2010.

The starting rotation as a whole should not be touched.

Rockabilly
10-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I would trade Floyd for Prince but not the others

DirtySox
10-09-2009, 04:51 PM
You can never have too much pitching. I really hope they stand pat with the rotation.

areilly
10-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I would trade Floyd for Prince but not the others

I'd go along with that, assuming the Sox can reach an agreement on an extension with Fielder and whatnot.

FielderJones
10-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I think the Sox would be crazy to trade the best starting pitching in the AL Central. I understand what a great batter Fielder is. The cost would be too high.

Pablo_Honey
10-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi, I'm new here and I just thought I'd share my thoughts.

We all know pitching is vital to a team's success, but I remember reading somewhere that White Sox led the Amercian League in quality starts this year. Nevertheless, the team ended the season 79-83. I know there were several reasons behind it (inconsitent 4/5th starters, LineJenks implosion, Ozzie's Sunday lineups) but the lack of offense can be considered the biggest factor in the team's downfall. Out of all teams in AL, the Sox scored the third fewest runs (only Mariners and Royals were worse than the Sox in this category)

Starting pitching wins championships, but you also need to score runs. The top 4 teams in runs scored in AL were Yankees, Angels, Red Sox and Twins. All 4 of them made the playoffs. Of these teams, only Yankees had a team ERA in top 5, (M's had the best ERA followed by White Sox, Yanks, A's and Tigers) and that should be obvious because they had the best record in AL. Sox' second best ERA was wasted by our poor offense.

So, I'd personally love to see Kenny dangle either one of Danks or Floyd (Floyd preferably, due to him being older and that hip issue he had at one point) IF AND ONLY IF the return is a solid, consistent middle bat. Fielder fits that bill, but we will need to gut our pitching depth and pony up some big bucks to keep him. I don't know who else is available, but if the right deal comes along, it wouldn't be a terrible idea for Kenny to make that deal.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Asin:

He can ignore him just like Joe Crede did! LOL (If I thought my agent was going to be a problem, I'll change agents...I want to stay with the White Sox the rest of my career.) Don't even get me started with Magglio.

This fantasy just like the Adrian Beltre one can be put to rest very quickly.

Lip

JermaineDye05
10-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Screw giving them John Danks or Gavin.

Give them Josh Fields and Jeff Marquez for Prince and Alcides Escobar

Brian26
10-09-2009, 06:35 PM
And with Floyd/Danks we have affordable guys that are arguable future cy young contenders.

I like both guys, but you might be overvaluing them with statements like that. In fact, there has been talk out of the front office that a guy like Floyd has reached his ceiling already and is available in the right kind of deal (this came out around the All-Star Break).

Brian26
10-09-2009, 06:38 PM

EDIT

Done, because you asked nicely.

I heard that segment on B&B yesterday and was frustrated when they failed to add any homeruns from the bench (ie Kotsay, Castro, etc) when they were trying to reach 200. I felt like you could easily add 15-20 hrs from the bench spread out over the season.

oeo
10-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Asin:

He can ignore him just like Joe Crede did! LOL (If I thought my agent was going to be a problem, I'll change agents...I want to stay with the White Sox the rest of my career.) Don't even get me started with Magglio.

This fantasy just like the Adrian Beltre one can be put to rest very quickly.

Lip

Who fantasizes about Adrian Beltre? I'll pass.

Marqhead
10-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Who fantasizes about Adrian Beltre? I'll pass.

I bet if I gave you three guesses on this board you would get two of them.

UChicagoHP
10-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I'd trade Floyd for Prince as well...

We absolutely need a bat like Fielder's, asap...I'm not sure if Quentin's wrist/body/etc will ever be 100% and Paulie is on borrowed time. It's not an easy call, but I'd love the Prince on the South-Side.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2009, 11:03 PM
OEO:

Read through the thread and you'll find your answer on who thinks Beltre will come to Chicago despite his agent being Scott Boras.

Lip

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't know about this one. Never really liked Prince that much, even though he puts up some good numbers. I'd say keep the starting rotation untouched - now that we don't have a revolving door at 4 and 5 I think that gives us at least 10-15 more wins.

Zisk77
10-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I like both guys, but you might be overvaluing them with statements like that. In fact, there has been talk out of the front office that a guy like Floyd has reached his ceiling already and is available in the right kind of deal (this came out around the All-Star Break).

Well, I did say arguably...While I am not actually predicting a Cy Young out of either would it be be surprising if either (or both) actually won a cy young? Especially with the stuff Floyd is featuring? I think people are overvalueing the effect of Prince Fielder. Sure he is a great slugger, but will having him over Paulie (or one moving to DH) be better than having 4 stud starters and at least a good 5th in terms of wins? Its damn hard to get an affordable starting rotation that might be the best in baseball. Sluggers are comparitively easy to find. heck Tyler Flowers could be that guy himself in a few years.