PDA

View Full Version : In Hindsight

SCCWS
10-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Orlando Cabrera is back in the playoffs, as usual. Some say it is just a coincidence, some say he is a problem in the clubhouse. But he certainly is a lucky charm. I wonder if KW kept him and played Alexi at 2nd if the Sox would still be playing.

BleacherBandit
10-07-2009, 09:10 PM
No.

Brian26
10-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Orlando Cabrera is back in the playoffs, as usual. Some say it is just a coincidence, some say he is a problem in the clubhouse. But he certainly is a lucky charm. I wonder if KW kept him and played Alexi at 2nd if the Sox would still be playing.

I question if you even watched any games this season if you think the difference in defense and production at the plate between Cabrera and Getz/Nix was enough to offset the Titanic bullpen collapse and 2nd-half no-show by the middle of the lineup.

getonbckthr
10-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Would have Cabrera helped Anderson/Wise in CF? How about helping Dye in the 2nd half? I don't think OC could pitch so that wouldn't have helped the bullpen. On top of that I seriously doubt Cabrera had magical hands that would have helped Plantar fascilitis heel any faster of Quentin.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2009, 09:22 PM
SCCWS:

The Sox never had an option to keep Cabrera. After the first month numerous stories started popping up about how he was not going to sign a long term deal and was becoming an issue in the clubhouse.

I talked to a source who said Cabrera wasn't a bad guy per se it's just that he felt when the game was over, he had fulfilled his obligation to the team and didn't need to stick around and talk to the media, mix with his teammates or discuss the game that just ended. My source said he was perfectly within his rights to feel this way but it just didn't sit well or endear himself to the organization.

Lip

doublem23
10-07-2009, 09:27 PM
He's only in the play-offs because the sinking ship he was with for the majority of the season threw him overboard.

getonbckthr
10-07-2009, 09:29 PM
He's only in the play-offs because the sinking ship he was with for the majority of the season threw him overboard.
I really like this analogy.

SCCWS
10-07-2009, 09:34 PM

You might want to check what Minnesota's record was once he joined the team. He hit 284 for the season and knocked in 77 runs. He would have had the 2nd highest avg on the White Sox and 3rd in RBI's.

DumpJerry
10-07-2009, 10:25 PM
You might want to check what Minnesota's record was once he joined the team. He hit 284 for the season and knocked in 77 runs. He would have had the 2nd highest avg on the White Sox and 3rd in RBI's.
You can't say that because the numbers (esp. the RBIs) do not simply transfer team-to-team. The BA is affected by who is hitting around him, the RBIs are affected by how often he is up with people on base. If he was our lead off guy (as he was sometimes last year), his RBI opportunities would be limited.

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2009, 01:02 AM
I wonder if KW kept him and played Alexi at 2nd if the Sox would still be playing.Alexei.

doublem23
10-08-2009, 08:50 AM

You might want to recheck my post, I didn't say he didn't help the Twins, I was merely pointing out the OC spend most of his summer on a team in dead last. The guy is obviously a nice addition to a play-off quality team, but he's obviously not the keystone of a good roster.

Noneck
10-08-2009, 09:05 AM
He may end up playing with a ton of teams before his career is over. He seems like a Kenny Lofton (late in his career) type of guy.

LITTLE NELL
10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Right place at the right time. Sounds like luck to me.

NLaloosh
10-08-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't think retaining him would have made the Sox any better or changed the results.

Not to start anything but I can think of two players that I believe would have made a difference had they been retained but NOT Cabrera.

I'm really a lot more excited aboout Getz for next year - with Beckham and Alexei we could have a dynamite infield.

Mohoney
10-11-2009, 07:28 AM
I don't think retaining him would have made the Sox any better or changed the results.

Not to start anything but I can think of two players that I believe would have made a difference had they been retained but NOT Cabrera.

I'm really a lot more excited aboout Getz for next year - with Beckham and Alexei we could have a dynamite infield.

I agree about not lamenting the loss of Cabrera, but I'm not exactly excited about Getz-TCM for next year. I think a middle infield of Getz and TCM will kick the ball around a LOT more than I would like.

fram40
10-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Right place at the right time. Sounds like luck to me.

four out of the last five years? sounds like more than luck. As much as I dislike the guy, he seems to be a winner. He had an awful lot of big hits for the Sox last year, and an awful lot this year for the Twins.