PDA

View Full Version : Front Office News

Lip Man 1
10-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Folks:

You can take this for what it's worth.

I was in touch with a source (I'd prefer not to reveal any more than that if you don't mind) today who clued me in about what is going on this week with the Sox. (i.e. what the front office is now doing.)

They said this week the Sox budget discussions are going on and a number is expected to be set...they said the Sox off season marketing plan was being drawn up and they also came out and said that Sox fans can "forget" (direct quote) about Chone Figgins, that he'll be to expensive even in a potential buyer's market.

The way they said it (and just to be clear the next statement is my personal opinion) I immediately thought the Sox aren't even going to try to get him. Not waste their time.

This is a very, very, very good source on these things...so it's looking like Podsednik and cross your fingers.

If Podsednik leaves? Then who the hell knows.

Lip

Domeshot17
10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Thank God, take the money and find someone who can DRIVE RUNS IN. Ive said it all along, we are much much better even having someone like Chris Getz lead off if it means having a 100 RBI machine in the middle versus paying Chone Figgins 3 times what hes worth and forcing Konerko to hit cleanup again.

Hitmen77
10-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Folks:

You can take this for what it's worth.

I was in touch with a source (I'd prefer not to reveal any more than that if you don't mind) today who clued me in about what is going on this week with the Sox. (i.e. what the front office is now doing.)

They said this week the Sox budget discussions are going on and a number is expected to be set...they said the Sox off season marketing plan was being drawn up and they also came out and said that Sox fans can "forget" (direct quote) about Chone Figgins, that he'll be to expensive even in a potential buyer's market.

The way they said it (and just to be clear the next statment is my personal opinion) I immediately thought the Sox aren't even going to try to get him. Not waste their time.

This is a very, very, very good source on these things...so it's looking like Podsednik and cross your fingers.

If Podsednik leaves? Then who the hell knows.

Lip

Even if they kept Pods and brought him back as a starter, that only adds up to 8 people in their lineup. They still have a huge hole in our lineup at RF and/or DH.

I like Kotsay (who is also a free agent, by the way), but I hope this doesn't mean their plan might mean a starting OF/DH of Quentin, Rios, Pods, Kotsay.

Sargeant79
10-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Thank God, take the money and find someone who can DRIVE RUNS IN. Ive said it all along, we are much much better even having someone like Chris Getz lead off if it means having a 100 RBI machine in the middle versus paying Chone Figgins 3 times what hes worth and forcing Konerko to hit cleanup again.

I'm not sure Getz is the right guy, but otherwise I agree with you. Figgins will probably not be worth the contract he will likely wind up getting, especially in years 3 and 4 if it goes that long. I don't think that would be a wise allocation of what appear to be somewhat limited resources.

The blockbuster acquisitions for this offseason already took place a couple months ago.

LoveYourSuit
10-07-2009, 12:51 PM

I agree.

The Sox biggest weakness on offense this season was that the mashers did not mash. Plain and simple.

We need a big time RBI producer in that middle of the order. Quentin can be that guy but health is always a question.

Sadly, it is starting to look like this Rios deal is going to handcuff the Sox here moving forward. This guy better produce next season.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
If you folks are right, then I'm curious who potentially fits the outfield / DH / RBI machine mode?

Can anyone supply names?

Holliday's out because of his agent, Abreu is 36...so who else?

Lip

Noneck
10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I always thought Figgins was a pie in the sky hope. He will be one of the premium FA's this year and with talk of the yanks going after him, it was not feasible to get him.

Now I really wonder if they are willing to pay the going rate for Pods. I really don't think Pod will be as cheap as most are expecting him to be.

I saw what this team looked like this year before Pods, they better figure something out.

10-07-2009, 12:55 PM
If you folks are right, then I'm curious who potentially fits the outfield / DH / RBI machine mode?

Can anyone supply names?

Lip

Jason Bay is available, but I know that won't make a lot of people happy

Marqhead
10-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Jason Bay is available, but I know that won't make a lot of people happy

He'll also demand a large contract.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2009, 01:00 PM
I'd love to get Bay, he's a hell of a player but if the Sox won't pay the price for Figgins, what makes anyone think they'll do it for Bay?

Lip

Noneck
10-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Lip

Holliday is also out because he will command more than Figgins. Abreu will get more than spit this year also.

I can't think of any FA that will be Sox affordable and give them what they need in the middle of the order.

Now if they are willing to give in order to get , that's a different story. But they really are not deep enough in order to give.

Marqhead
10-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd love to get Bay, he's a hell of a player but if the Sox won't pay the price for Figgins, what makes anyone think they'll do it for Bay?

Lip

The only way would be if the mindset is: save the money that would be spent on Figgins, sign Pods cheap and put more money into a big bat.

There aren't a whole lot of attractive names on the market in terms of power hitters, but there are plenty who can probably be had as a cost effective solution.

There's always Richie Sexson.

Domeshot17
10-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Lip:

What makes you think the Sox will be aggressive in FA? Is there buzz? We never have been, our biggest FA pick ups are always the trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Sometimes it works (dye AJ) sometimes it doesnt (Erstad Terrero).

Personally, He doesn't fit the high average, but a guy who makes A LOT OF SENSE TO ME IN A TRADE is Adam Dunn. Lefty, DH, can play the Field, would hit 40-50 homers in our ballpark.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Dome:

I would think two losing seasons in three years and having dropped 700,000 in attendance since the end of 2006 would be motivation enough...silly me.

Lip

Domeshot17
10-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Dome:

I would think two losing seasons in three years and having dropped 700,000 in attendance since the end of 2006 would be motivation enough...silly me.

Lip

I don't disagree at all, I HOPE they do, I mean, Jason Bay fills EVERYTHING WE NEED, I couldn't possibly want a player more. That said, We are competing against the Red Sox for him. He will get Holliday Money so it is almost like dealing with Boras all over again.

I was more asking if you had heard a plan to be more aggressive

dickallen15
10-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Considering the last time the White Sox gave another team's FA more than $20 million, Ron Schueler still had 4 years to go as the White Sox GM, anyone thinking any high priced FA is anything but pie in the sky must be heavily medicated.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Dome:

In a way. The next interview for WSI is already in George's hands and this is what the source told me:

I look for Kenny to aggressively improve the team through trades but he’ll also keep in mind some possible free agent bargains that could be out there.
Lip

Noneck
10-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Dome:

In a way. The next interview for WSI is already in George's hands and this is what the source told me:

I look for Kenny to aggressively improve the team through trades but he’ll also keep in mind some possible free agent bargains that could be out there.
Lip

Lip,

Free agent bargains. None of the players mentioned here will be Sox bargains. I thought Abreu and Hudson were bargains last year but I guess the Sox didn't. Maybe you understand what a Sox FA bargain is, I sure don't.

Madvora
10-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Anything can happen. If the right offer comes up, trades can be made and money can instantly be freed up. The season just ended for us a couple days ago. We have a long time to go before the roster is set.

oeo
10-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Lip,

Free agent bargains. None of the players mentioned here will be Sox bargains. I thought Abreu and Hudson were bargains last year but I guess the Sox didn't. Maybe you understand what a Sox FA bargain is, I sure don't.

Abreu is a terrible example, as we had no where for him to play (unless you wanted him in CF :puking:). Kenny was trying to unload Dye, but couldn't do it.

GAsoxfan
10-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I think a guy who could make sense for the Sox (and still fit in their budget) is Nick Johnson. He's not a masher, but he fills the Sox need for a better OBP. He finished 3rd in the majors with a .426 OBP this season, and has a career number of .402. He and Konerko could split the 1B/DH duties, and he only made $5.5M last year, so he shouldn't break the bank. Plus, he's a lefty.

Bob G
10-07-2009, 01:41 PM
In today's Daily Herald Scott Gregor mentions a player from Japan, Norishika Aoki who may be available as a FA this year. He's described as a Ichiro type of player by his manager (Bobby Valentine) and is 27 yrs old. I have no idea how much it would cost to get him but I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny gives it a shot.

russ99
10-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Lip:

What makes you think the Sox will be aggressive in FA? Is there buzz? We never have been, our biggest FA pick ups are always the trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Sometimes it works (dye AJ) sometimes it doesnt (Erstad Terrero).

Personally, He doesn't fit the high average, but a guy who makes A LOT OF SENSE TO ME IN A TRADE is Adam Dunn. Lefty, DH, can play the Field, would hit 40-50 homers in our ballpark.

Dunn would be a great pickup. He's got a great OBP for a slugger and would slot in nicely as a younger version of Thome.

But the problem here is what could we give up for him? The Nats are overloaded with position players, and need pitching.

Would any of you part with Hudson for Dunn? I sure wouldn't...

Noneck
10-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Abreu is a terrible example, as we had no where for him to play. Kenny was trying to unload Dye, but couldn't do it.

Yea, It was stupid. He couldn't dump Dye or Thome so you are right there was no place for him. My mistake.

oeo
10-07-2009, 01:46 PM
In today's Daily Herald Scott Gregor mentions a player from Japan, Norishika Aoki who may be available as a FA this year. He's described as a Ichiro type of player by his manager (Bobby Valentine) and is 27 yrs old. I have no idea how much it would cost to get him but I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny gives it a shot.

Take that for what it's worth. Kosuke Fukudome was supposed to be an Ichiro/Hideki Matsui mix. Instead he's a patient, little power, meh hitter, and bad defender (especially in CF).

Domeshot17
10-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Dunn would be a great pickup. He's got a great OBP for a slugger and would slot in nicely as a younger version of Thome.

But the problem here is what could we give up for him? The Nats are overloaded with position players, and need pitching.

I don't think he would cost Hudson, but I don't know what he WOULD cost.

In terms of Nick Johnson, just say no. The guy does nothing for us. We need an RBI man, and he has never driven 80 runs in in his career.

Domeshot17
10-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Dome:

Lip

Pretty much what I thought. More lightning in the bottle esque signings.

I just really hope we don't think Ersta..... I mean Kotsay is an everyday player.

eriqjaffe
10-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I thought Abreu and Hudson were bargains last year but I guess the Sox didn't.The Sox reportedly made an offer (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090203&content_id=3794534&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp) to Abreu last off-season for something in the neighborhood of 1 year, $8 million, which he turned down - and then signed with the Angels for less.

I think anybody who sees Abreu coming here this year must be on crack or something. I can't see Abreu changing his tune the way Peavy did.

GAsoxfan
10-07-2009, 01:56 PM

Not only that, but Dunn makes $12M in 2010. Are the Sox willing to pick up that salary or give up the better/extra prospects to get the Nationals to eat some of it? I'd love to see Dunn here, but I don't see it happening.

soxinem1
10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
I could see KW going after Carlos Delgado to DH. He is just the type of player he goes after. I'm sure he wouldn't mind hitting here, and he's a lefty swinger.

Other players he might make a move on Austin Kearns, Xavier Nady, and The Covelli Crisp.

On the pitching front: Kelvim Escobar, Rafael Betancourt, Mike Gonzalez, JJ Putz, and even Billy Wagner are all guys KW likes to go after.

He likes guys who can be high reward with low risk, while their former team spent the expense of getting them healed, mixed with a guy like Kearns who might, just might, blossom in the right circumstance.

Face it folks, there will be no big trades with big returns, no huge, high-profile FA signees, etc. It is not in KW's nature to dump $$$$ on a major FA. He may take on a contract of one, but not sign any.

If the 2005 off-season was any indication of KW with the $$$$ to spend, look what he did.

I would not be suprised if three or four of the guys I noted above are at least pursued, if not signed, by the White Sox.

GAsoxfan
10-07-2009, 02:26 PM

In terms of Nick Johnson, just say no. The guy does nothing for us. We need an RBI man, and he has never driven 80 runs in in his career.

You need to have men on base before you can drive them in. The Sox were 10th in the AL in OBP this year, and that includes Thome's .372. Johnson may not be an ideal solution, but he's a realistic solution. The Sox won't get the big-money guys, and the list of non-big money guys who can produce is pretty short.

kittle42
10-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Think about all the top free agents the Sox could use.

Then think about good-but-not-great free agents the Sox could use.

Then think of the rest - now you have finally reached the universe of players the Sox would pursue.

Peavy and Rios were the big acquisitions. I don't see another one.

pmck003
10-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Johnson has played on some pretty bad Nats teams, maybe limiting his RBIs. If the Sox think the DH spot would prevent some of his injury problems I don't see why he wouldn't be a good fit.

asindc
10-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Johnson has played on some pretty bad Nats teams, maybe limiting his RBIs. If the Sox think the DH spot would prevent some of his injury problems I don't see why he wouldn't be a good fit.

Nick Johnson is a good contact, high OBP hitter that would be best suited in the 6th slot in our lineup, in front of AJ perhaps. You can't expect much HR power from him, but he would help to keep the line moving in the middle of our lineup. I would not be opposed it.

Mohoney
10-07-2009, 03:37 PM

Strictly as a DH, I'll take Adam Dunn. I don't want him in the OF.

steely712
10-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I bet they re-sign pods and their outfield will be Quentin, Pods and Rios. They will not pay for a big name when they have already spent so much money on Rios, and they can get Pods for a good price.

Madscout
10-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Strictly as a DH, I'll take Adam Dunn. I don't want him in the OF.
I know it is our trend, but I just don't see the Sox going back to the past decade of signing a big guy to just DH for us, like we had with Thomas and Thome. I think it makes too much sense for us, with the players we have, to keep that position open for resting guys the way we did the second half of this year.

The Milkman
10-07-2009, 04:02 PM
I bet they re-sign pods and their outfield will be Quentin, Pods and Rios. They will not pay for a big name when they have already spent so much money on Rios, and they can get Pods for a good price.

Pods, Rios, Quentin (if we must) por favor.

oeo
10-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I know it is our trend, but I just don't see the Sox going back to the past decade of signing a big guy to just DH for us, like we had with Thomas and Thome. I think it makes too much sense for us, with the players we have, to keep that position open for resting guys the way we did the second half of this year.

The Sox have already said they want to rotate the DH, like the Twins have done for years. Unless they're just playing with our heads, you can forget about Adam Dunn.

I'm interested to see what they're going to do, however. I hope Kenny gets creative, even if that means moving Quentin or Ramirez in order to make the team better, go for it. Just don't touch Beckham or the starting staff.

It's Dankerific
10-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't think we'll make many changes. We're just going to hope that our guys that have underperformed in 2009 will perform in 2010 and we'll hope the people that did perform continue to perform.

I mean, if we didn't see Rios suck pretty bad this season, we'd probably be pretty happy with +Rios and +Peavy.

Even if the offense turns around, I dont see our "average" bullpen turning around without some serious new blood.

Ranger
10-07-2009, 04:12 PM
You need to have men on base before you can drive them in. The Sox were 10th in the AL in OBP this year, and that includes Thome's .372.

This is true, but you have to figure that OBP number would be higher had the middle of the order done better to get RBI hits. Those hits count toward the overall OBP and many teams have high OBP because they get guys on base AND get hits to drive them in.

The Sox, by the way, had the fewest amount of hits in the AL. About 200 less than the leader.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Chris:

Doesn't surprise me, they had game after game last year of five, six, seven hits.

Also to add to the thread I had another source tell me (in their personal opinion) that the Sox may move a player or two that fans didn't see coming.

Lip

Domeshot17
10-07-2009, 04:47 PM
This is true, but you have to figure that OBP number would be higher had the middle of the order done better to get RBI hits. Those hits count toward the overall OBP and many teams have high OBP because they get guys on base AND get hits to drive them in.

The Sox, by the way, had the fewest amount of hits in the AL. About 200 less than the leader.

How about the Pirates having more extra base hits than us? I agree with you, and the big fall in OBP is guys like Quentin and Rios hitting below .250. That is just unacceptable

OBP is nice, but if you only have 2 starting spots open, and your manager wants to use 1 on a leadoff man, you can't give the other to a guy who gets on base without driving in runs.

And I wish Ozzie would give up trying to shape the Sox into the Twins. We are not the twins. Twins baseball doesn't work at USCF. Heck, Twins baseball probably won't work in their new ballpark without major changes. The truth is you can talk Twins baseball, but We don't have anyone comparable to Mauer and Morneau. Heck we barely have a Cuddyer or Kubel on our team.

SoxSpeed22
10-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I am curious to see what Nick Johnson could do as a full-time DH. He's always been hurt playing in the National League. A reasonable price would be $4.5 Million.
Jorge Cantu could be another option depending on what happens with Konerko. He might draw a lot of interest from other teams though.

KyWhiSoxFan
10-07-2009, 06:42 PM
A lot of the discussion on this thread is based on the belief the Sox are going to get a top free agent to fill their needs. I would be surprised if that happened. They have already spent a lot to get Peavy and Rios and I can't see them spending another $10-14 million on a free agent.

However, I would not be surprised if they made a big trade to get a top position player by trading one of their starting pitchers. If they can get an everyday player for one, they would have to consider it. The offense and defense is what needs help this offseason. By my reckoning, they have 6 starters right now for 5 slots. While you would normally love to have the luxury of having someone waiting in the wings in case of an injury, the Sox have too many holes to fill in their lineup to ignore. For the right price, I would move any but Peavy.

And it is for that reason--and the fact that he is going to cost a lot of money to sign--that I can see them trading Jenks, if they can get an everyday player for him.

Jenks pitched 53.1 innings and made $5.6-million in 2009. If you can get someone to play every day and play 1,000 innings in 2010 for Jenks, I'd have to take it if it fills a need.

Ranger
10-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Chris:

Doesn't surprise me, they had game after game last year of five, six, seven hits.

Also to add to the thread I had another source tell me (in their personal opinion) that the Sox may move a player or two that fans didn't see coming.

Lip

I would not be shocked by that.

Frater Perdurabo
10-07-2009, 07:01 PM
I think the Sox OF to start 2010 will be Pods, Rios and Quentin, with Kotsay getting time at all three OF positions and 1B. Moreover, I think Pods, Quentin and PK will alternate as the DH.

I also think Rios and Quentin will "progress to the mean" of their career averages. Consequently, an OF picture that looks dismal right now likely will look much better next year.

Jjav829
10-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Hideki Matsui would be a nice fit with this team. He may be getting something similar to Pat Burrell's deal last year. He can DH full time to stay healthy and gives us a lefty for the middle of the order.

BadBobbyJenks
10-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Adam Dunn, make it happen Kenny.

TheVulture
10-07-2009, 07:42 PM

Lip

Because it makes more sense to pay Bay whatever Bay will be paid than it does to pay Figgins whatever Figgins will be paid. Like I said in another thread - Getz or Podz is much closer to Figgins than anything we have is close to a big time middle of the order bat, unless Quentin comes through. But we need a couple big bats in the order more than anything anyway. Hopefully ones that aren't complete basecloggers. Bay would fit the bill.

Not that I think it will happen. The chances are slim and none, but hopefully slim is still in town. It's October, might as well dream.

TheVulture
10-07-2009, 07:45 PM
I think the Sox OF to start 2010 will be Pods, Rios and Quentin, with Kotsay getting time at all three OF positions and 1B. Moreover, I think Pods, Quentin and PK will alternate as the DH.

I also think Rios and Quentin will "progress to the mean" of their career averages. Consequently, an OF picture that looks dismal right now likely will look much better next year.

Hopefully, but outside of Quentin, none of those guys are middle of the order hitters at this point anyway. And HOPEFULLY Quentin will be, but it's hard to count on that. PK at this point should be hitting 5th or preferably 6th.

SCCWS
10-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Because it makes more sense to pay Bay whatever Bay will be paid than it does to pay Figgins whatever Figgins will be paid. Like I said in another thread - Getz or Podz is much closer to Figgins than anything we have is close to a big time middle of the order bat, unless Quentin comes through. But we need a couple big bats in the order more than anything anyway. Hopefully ones that aren't complete basecloggers. Bay would fit the bill.

Not that I think it will happen. The chances are slim and none, but hopefully slim is still in town. It's October, might as well dream.

Bay is a pipe dream. He will re-sign w Boston

soxtalker
10-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Chris:

Lip

I alluded to this in another couple of threads, but I've been thinking over the past week or two that AJ might be on the block.

Now, I could be totally wrong. He clearly has the grinder/winning mentality that appeals to both fans and management. He's one of our best hitters, and he can obviously handle a pitching staff. And he hasn't exactly been loved by most of the other teams over the past few years.

But most of those attributes might make him desirable to another team. And he doesn't appear to be great at mentoring his (apparent) successor.

Hitmen77
10-07-2009, 07:59 PM

To clarify, does this mean you think that Kotsay will be one of our regular starters next year?

I hope the Sox don't just stick with Quentin, Rios, Pods, and Kotsay to fill our 4 OF/DH spots in the lineup.

TheVulture
10-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Bay is a pipe dream. He will re-sign w Boston
True, but insert another mid order hitter, and I'd say the same.

getonbckthr
10-07-2009, 08:26 PM
If they feel Freddy can pitch a whole season and also feel Hudson is the real deal how about going after Crawford or Upton and offer Floyd? I'm not sure what other pieces would need to be exchanged but it's something to maybe consider. Also what about Nix as a DH? He showed with at bats he can hit he just cant catch a ball. Also I wouldn't mind a Jake Fox as our DH not sure what the Cubs would want in return. Another option who would be well worth his money for his utility would be Mark Derosa. He could play LF/RF/1B/2B/3B. You sign him and have him play a different position each day with the fielder playing DH that day will keep guys fresh.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2009, 08:32 PM
DeRosa is interesting. Don't know what he'd want but the guy can play and appears to have the unquantifiable 'leadership' mentality this club so badly needs.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
To clarify, does this mean you think that Kotsay will be one of our regular starters next year?

I hope the Sox don't just stick with Quentin, Rios, Pods, and Kotsay to fill our 4 OF/DH spots in the lineup.

If what Lip reports is accurate, then I do think that rotating the DH between Quentin, Paulie and Pods will result in Kotsay being a lineup "regular."

Ozzie's obvious enthusiasm for Kotsay also leads me to believe that he'll work Kotsay into the lineup whenever possible.

russ99
10-07-2009, 08:52 PM
I alluded to this in another couple of threads, but I've been thinking over the past week or two that AJ might be on the block.

Now, I could be totally wrong. He clearly has the grinder/winning mentality that appeals to both fans and management. He's one of our best hitters, and he can obviously handle a pitching staff. And he hasn't exactly been loved by most of the other teams over the past few years.

But most of those attributes might make him desirable to another team. And he doesn't appear to be great at mentoring his (apparent) successor.

No way. Neither Flowers, Armstrong nor Phegley are ready to take over the full-time job, both in hitting and handling of pitchers. And A.J.'s salary for 2010 is $6.5M which isn't a bargain, but isn't expensive either.

But Kenny does have a penchant for dealing players going into the last year of their deals. A.J. is in this category, as well as Konerko.

I think one or more of the big arb eligibles would also have a chance at being dealt. There's Jenks, of course and Quentin would be least likely, but if Danks balks at a contract offer again, it wouldn't surprise me if he were moved for the right package.

Anyone have that list Kenny was supposedly offering around the league at the waiver deadline? Those certainly would be the suspects.

SoxNation05
10-07-2009, 08:56 PM
I would want DeRosa or Matsui.

SoxNation05
10-07-2009, 08:57 PM
I think those players we would be "shocked" about could be Paulie(NTC), Quentin (stupid time if true), Alexei or AJ.

russ99
10-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Now that we're thinking trade, what about Brian Roberts? He's been on Kenny's radar for a while.
He's making $10M a year for the next 3 seasons.

Not sure what we'd need to give up for him. We'd need to send at least one solid prospect as part of a package. Maybe Jordan Danks? Jared Mitchell could be with the big club next September or the following March, so he's not completely unexpendable.

Kenny might need to dump some salary to stay within the payroll budget, whatever that ends up being...

Noneck
10-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I think those players we would be "shocked" about could be Paulie(NTC), Quentin (stupid time if true), Alexei or AJ.

PK and AJ wouldn't shock me considering they are both FA's after 10. Selling low on Quentin would be kind of shocking. Finally considering what Ramirez will be making the next 2 years, trading him would be very shocking.

soxtalker
10-07-2009, 09:21 PM
No way. Neither Flowers, Armstrong nor Phegley are ready to take over the full-time job, both in hitting and handling of pitchers. And A.J.'s salary for 2010 is $6.5M which isn't a bargain, but isn't expensive either.

But Kenny does have a penchant for dealing players going into the last year of their deals. A.J. is in this category, as well as Konerko.

I think one or more of the big arb eligibles would also have a chance at being dealt. There's Jenks, of course and Quentin would be least likely, but if Danks balks at a contract offer again, it wouldn't surprise me if he were moved for the right package.

Anyone have that list Kenny was supposedly offering around the league at the waiver deadline? Those certainly would be the suspects.

You're right, of course, that Flowers (and either of the others) isn't ready, but it isn't clear to me how close he is -- or, rather, how close KW thinks he is. If he's close, KW could always sign someone else to fill in temporarily.

AJ also attains 5/10 non-trade status in the middle of next season if he's still with the Sox.

DonnieDarko
10-07-2009, 10:47 PM
What about Carl Crawford? Anyone think that the Sox will try to get him?

soxinem1
10-07-2009, 10:47 PM

I'm not too sure about this. With Thome and possibly Dye not on the 2010 team, this scenario leaves he team sorely lacking in both depth and line up strength.

Additionally, like Ranger noted, a player from the current team can be dealt as well, leaving even more need for some firepower.

I have a feeling you may get your long-standing wish this off-season, as I would be very suprised if Konerko is not shopped actively.

Which is why a guy like Carlos Delgado makes sense. A LH power hitter who can still play a little 1B if needed, but would fill a major LH power void as a DH.

Delgado and Matsui would be two of the best options available that fit the types of players KW goes after.

We need a bopper in there somewhere, and a guy like Carlos Delgado is the man.

tsoxman
10-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Dome:

Lip
Not only that, but having made a huge financial commitment to a Peavy and Rios, the window of opportunity is now and may not be open for long. Now is not the time to go cheap.

thomas35forever
10-08-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm disappointed at the prospect of not getting Chone Figgins, so this better mean Pods is coming back next season. I don't want to be looking for a leadoff hitter again. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

palehozenychicty
10-08-2009, 07:09 AM
I could see KW going after Carlos Delgado to DH. He is just the type of player he goes after. I'm sure he wouldn't mind hitting here, and he's a lefty swinger.

Other players he might make a move on Austin Kearns, Xavier Nady, and The Covelli Crisp.

On the pitching front: Kelvim Escobar, Rafael Betancourt, Mike Gonzalez, JJ Putz, and even Billy Wagner are all guys KW likes to go after.

He likes guys who can be high reward with low risk, while their former team spent the expense of getting them healed, mixed with a guy like Kearns who might, just might, blossom in the right circumstance.

Face it folks, there will be no big trades with big returns, no huge, high-profile FA signees, etc. It is not in KW's nature to dump $$$$ on a major FA. He may take on a contract of one, but not sign any.

If the 2005 off-season was any indication of KW with the $$$$ to spend, look what he did.

I would not be suprised if three or four of the guys I noted above are at least pursued, if not signed, by the White Sox.

This post actually looks feasible. If half of these players are healthy, they'd be shrewd pickups. Nice reporting! :D:

Carolina Kenny
10-08-2009, 07:39 AM
PK and AJ wouldn't shock me considering they are both FA's after 10. Selling low on Quentin would be kind of shocking. Finally considering what Ramirez will be making the next 2 years, trading him would be very shocking.

I think it will be Konerko that will be gone. The one constant thru the decade. It's a new era dawning on the Southside.

Sargeant79
10-08-2009, 08:48 AM
If they feel Freddy can pitch a whole season and also feel Hudson is the real deal how about going after Crawford or Upton and offer Floyd? I'm not sure what other pieces would need to be exchanged but it's something to maybe consider. Also what about Nix as a DH? He showed with at bats he can hit he just cant catch a ball. Also I wouldn't mind a Jake Fox as our DH not sure what the Cubs would want in return. Another option who would be well worth his money for his utility would be Mark Derosa. He could play LF/RF/1B/2B/3B. You sign him and have him play a different position each day with the fielder playing DH that day will keep guys fresh.

The problem with giving up Floyd is that you are now depleting your starting pitching depth that you have just finally gotten to a good point. The Sox are one of the few teams in the league with a really good 1-4 and a question mark only at the 5 spot, and they even seem to have a solid backup plan there as well in Hudson. I really would not want to see any starting pitching traded away.

I really don't think Nix is a major league regular, so I wouldn't want him as a full time DH, especially since his defense and versatility in the infield are two of his main assets. Fox could be interesting, but he would only be able to DH as he is useless in the field. He really doesn't have a major league track record either, and I'm not sure it would be a good risk to assume that he could hold down the job the whole season.

I actually really like you're DeRosa idea. I just think there's a good chance they would be outbid for him, plus he projects as a Type A free agent, and Kenny seems reluctant to give up a draft pick (even if it is only a second rounder since their first round pick is protected.)

Craig Grebeck
10-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Yes. Jayson Nix at DH. Take away all of his value -- a competent glove at 2B and a platoon bat.

He might be the only suggestion worse than Podsednik for DH.

Edit: and KW is not stupid. Floyd has one of the best contracts in the game.

Lip Man 1
10-08-2009, 09:54 AM
This and that:

Based on his comments no guarantee Pods is coming back either and Delgado already turned down a deal to the Sox once before in his career, why should he change his mind now?

Lip

akingamongstmen
10-08-2009, 09:54 AM
I honestly would not be surprised to see Kenny resign Dye at a bargain basement price for a 1 year deal. I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but I think that this could work out for us and provide some versatility and depth. Dye was terrible in the second half, but I don't think he's done.

OF (option 1): Quentin, Rios, Dye (Pods DH)
OF (option 2): Quentin, Pods (cringe), Rios (Dye DH)
OF (option 3): Kotsay, Rios, Dye (Quentin DH)
Etc.

The odd man out can DH keeping Dye rested and reducing the injury risk to Quentin and Pods. Occassionally, Paulie can DH with Kotsay playing 1B.

Of course, this whole plan blows up big time if Rios doesn't perform.

soxinem1
10-08-2009, 10:12 AM
This and that:

Based on his comments no guarantee Pods is coming back either and Delgado already turned down a deal to the Sox once before in his career, why should he change his mind now?

Lip

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/Jake%20Peavy%20White%20Sox.jpg

Sometimes the second time is a charm.

hawkjt
10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
This should be no shock to anyone in terms of Figgins not coming to the Sox. The guy had a contract year, after two straight years of 115 games played,injury plagued...but his numbers will draw 40 million for 4 years from someone rich like the Yanks or Carmines.

The F/A prices will rebound this off-season, so picking up Abreu for 5 million is not realistic after him having yet-again a tremendously productive season. If he had been on the Sox this year, they win the AL Central...damn.
But, I hope they take another run at Abreu...like two year 15 million..
Bay will be too expensive.
Who will be trading for PK? Has to be a contender with money and prospects. Mets?

Re-sign Pods and Kotsay, sign Abreu, and tweak the bullpen...trade PK only if you get a real sure run-producer...but why would a team trade for PK then?

Zisk77
10-08-2009, 12:46 PM
- Roberts just signed a lucrative extension with Balt. so he is not available.

- i like Godzilla, Derosa might be interesting.

- While I like Getz...Polanco is a free agent and he could leadoff, but he no longer steals bases. Wonder how expensive he might be?

- I don't like Dunn for this team and I like him less in that we would have to give up good players and pay him. if we are going that route just re-sign Thome cheap.

- Delgado risky, does he have anything left? He'll love Ozzie National Anthem policy.:redneck

- We'd be nuts to trade Floyd or anyone of our starters not named Garcia.

- I heard rumblings of Bay signing with Toronto (he is Canadian and would be a draw).

Lip Man 1
10-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Hawk:

There is no proof free agent contracts will rebound this season, in fact everyone I've spoken with thinks this off season will be a repeat of last year's...a buyer's market.

We'll see.

Lip

akingamongstmen
10-08-2009, 01:34 PM
- Roberts just signed a lucrative extension with Balt. so he is not available.

- i like Godzilla, Derosa might be interesting.

- While I like Getz...Polanco is a free agent and he could leadoff, but he no longer steals bases. Wonder how expensive he might be?

- I don't like Dunn for this team and I like him less in that we would have to give up good players and pay him. if we are going that route just re-sign Thome cheap.

- Delgado risky, does he have anything left? He'll love Ozzie National Anthem policy.:redneck

- We'd be nuts to trade Floyd or anyone of our starters not named Garcia.

- I heard rumblings of Bay signing with Toronto (he is Canadian and would be a draw).

I completely agree with the statement regarding Dunn. Thome has even expressed an interest in returning, so he remains an option.

Mohoney
10-11-2009, 07:15 AM

I don't think we'll get Dunn, either. I was just responding to the OP's post about Adam Dunn as a White Sox. Personally, I would make Pods the primary DH and look for an under the radar stud RF, probably by dealing Jenks either straight-up or in a deal for prospects to spin.