PDA

View Full Version : Fielding Question

LITTLE NELL
10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Is it just me or is it a fact that a lot of outfielders are sliding needlessly to catch fly balls . Last night was a perfect example of a ball going for a triple that at worst should have been a single and may have been caught if the leftfielder stayed on his feet. Magglio, the other day against the Sox had a ball pop out of his glove as he slid trying to catch it, no doubt in my mind that he catches the ball without sliding.
Jimmy Piersall was a good friend of mine when I lived in Chicago and he was dead set against sliding to catch balls, thought many players were show-boating.

Marqhead
10-07-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't know about needless sliding, but I'm still trying to figure out how, and why frankly, Raburn decided it was a smart idea to dive for a ball pretty far out of reach when his team had a one run lead in the bottom of the 10th.

Paulwny
10-07-2009, 01:26 PM
The shoe string catch is a thing of the past. There is less of a chance for an injury with the slide.
I agree, it appears that some of's try to make it appear that a catch is more difficult than it really is.

Madvora
10-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I started figuring this out by playing softball over the past few years.
Personally, it's easier for me to catch a ball sliding than not sliding. I think it has to do with lowering your eye level to that of the ball.
It also eliminates the eye shake if you are running full out.

doublem23
10-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I started figuring this out by playing softball over the past few years.
Personally, it's easier for me to catch a ball sliding than not sliding. I think it has to do with lowering your eye level to that of the ball.
It also eliminates the eye shake if you are running full out.

I think that's the main reason why a lot of guys like to do it. That's also why Alfonso Soriano does hit little skip in the OF just before he catches a ball. I'm still not sure what Raburn was thinking last night, but that's beyond the point. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why some people will guess this phenomenon is occurring, bigger contracts, emphasis on offense, etc. I personally think it's that coaches are more accommodating of players nowadays than before, and prefer their players play how they feel comfortably instead of forcing everyone to play the game the exact same way. Maggs, for instance, has been doing his little slide since he came up with us 10 years ago. He's no Gold Glover, but he's usually solid out there. Guys drop the ball all the time, too, when they're running toward it. Just ask Brant Brown.