PDA

View Full Version : Will the Twins hold on to Joe Mauer?

Rockabilly
10-07-2009, 11:09 AM
IMO he's probably in the top 3 of MLB players today and will becoming a free agent after next season. The Yankees will probably go all out for him if he does become a free agent.

So will the Twins re-sign him to a extension or do they trade him like they did with Santana.

guillensdisciple
10-07-2009, 11:12 AM
IMO he's probably in the top 3 of MLB players today and will becoming a free agent after next season. The Yankees will probably go all out for him if he does become a free agent.

So will the Twins re-sign him to a extension or do they trade him like they did with Santana.

He will not leave Minnesota. I see a discount contract being signed immediately after the playoffs, or some time during the middle of next year.

Marqhead
10-07-2009, 11:14 AM
He will not leave Minnesota. I see a discount contract being signed immediately after the playoffs, or some time during the middle of next year.

He's loved up there, and he loves it there. I don't think he will demand Tex or CC money though he is definitely worth it, but the Twins would be making a huge mistake by letting him go.

I agree that he'll probably be signed to an extension sometime this offseason before the grand speculation can even begin regarding what he'll do in FA.

EDIT: He'll get something like Morneau got -- 6 years 80 mil.

asindc
10-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Even at a hometown discount, the Twinkees would have to significantly increase the payroll budget to do it, but I think they do so because the payroll savings will not be worth the PR fallout.

PatK
10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Mauer doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would necessarily leave for the big bucks, but I've been wrong about that before.

He's going to have to get the biggest contract in Twins history I'd imagine

cleanwsox
10-07-2009, 11:20 AM
EDIT: He'll get something like Morneau got -- 6 years 80 mil.

He needs to fire his agent if that's all he gets.

Marqhead
10-07-2009, 11:22 AM
He needs to fire his agent if that's all he gets.

While I think he'll get more than that, I think he'll take a hometown discount because that's what he wants. I may be wrong, only time will tell.

I wont be shocked if he signs a long term, below market value contract.

Chez
10-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Twins new ballpark = increased revenue = new contract for Mauer. Right?

getonbckthr
10-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Experts say with the new stadium they will have an additional 40 million a year in profits. That being said I see a 8-10 year deal worth 20-21 per with the Twins.

Marqhead
10-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Experts say with the new stadium they will have an additional 40 million a year in profits. That being said I see a 8-10 year deal worth 20-21 per with the Twins.

I wanted to say something about the new stadium, but I had no idea as to what the projections were for increased profits. That being said, no way the Twins pay 20 per for Mauer. Even with increased revenues. Not a chance.

october23sp
10-07-2009, 11:54 AM
He deserves a **** load. I hope he stays in Minnesota. As much as I hate the Twins, I just think he automatically gets in the hall by staying in Minnesota. I don't think he'll demand a lot of money.

thedudeabides
10-07-2009, 11:56 AM
It's been reported in Minnesota that the Twins are going to offer him a 7yr/$120 million contract, after the season.

I would put the chance of Mauer leaving Minnesota at the end of this contract at <.000000001%.

AnkleSox
10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I hope the Twins cripple themselves with a gigantic contract for Mauer and can't compete for years to come.

Who am I kidding, they already did that by building a real baseball stadium. They're screwed. :D:

PKalltheway
10-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Even though I hate the Twins, I want to see Mauer stay in Minnesota as well. I don't want to see him end up on the Yankees.

10-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Mauer would never leave the Twins. As others have said here, he just seems like the hometown boy that has simple needs and he wouldn't necessarily need the 8/180 or 10/220 that the Yankees would offer him.

Now would I like to see him go? Hell yes I would. Mauer leaving the Twins would be a PR disaster, fans would protest, payroll and revenue would go down even further, and it would ultimately be a move that cripples the Twins if it were to happen.

DumpJerry
10-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, The Pope will convert to Hinduism before Joe Mauer leaves the Twins.

Mauer will also give the Twins the Mother of all Hometown Discounts. He is Michael Jordan up there. Most of his money will come from endorsements, not the playing contract.

Noneck
10-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Now would I like to see him go? Hell yes I would. Mauer leaving the Twins would be a PR disaster, fans would protest, payroll and revenue would go down even further, and it would ultimately be a move that cripples the Twins if it were to happen.

I would like to think the same way but after what happened with Hunter and even Santana, I bet the Twins will just pull another rabbit or two from their hat.

10-07-2009, 02:39 PM
I would like to think the same way but after what happened with Hunter and even Santana, I bet the Twins will just pull another rabbit or two from their hat.

Losing Mauer would certainly kill that team to the point where they would no longer compete for World Series, just 2nd place finishes in the division. Losing Hunter and Santana hurt the Twins a lot. Just think about where the Twins would be if they kept those two, they would actually give the Yankees a heck of a battle.

Now of course Mauer would never leave, but those are my thoughts.

Boondock Saint
10-07-2009, 02:43 PM
The Twins had better re-sign him before next offseason, because after the Yankees make their offer to him, he's going to have a hard time taking any offer the Twins make seriously.

ma-gaga
10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Personally, I think they'll sign him to an extension. I don't know what it'll take, but I think he's the exception that they'll pay the premium for.

5 years, $100mm would be my guess. :gulp:

thedudeabides
10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, The Pope will convert to Hinduism before Joe Mauer leaves the Twins.

Mauer will also give the Twins the Mother of all Hometown Discounts. He is Michael Jordan up there. Most of his money will come from endorsements, not the playing contract.

Afraid not. Baseball players just don't do that well with endorsements. Jeter was the highest earner in 2008 at $7 million. Albert Pujols only made $3.5 million. Mauer was nowhere near the top ten. Most of the top guys were in New York or earned their money in Japan(Ichiro, Fukudome)

I wouldn't be surprised if Mauer made under a million in endorsements last year. Considering his next contract he'll be making $15-20 million per, there is no chance he ever makes more in endorsements.

Twins_Morneau
10-07-2009, 02:55 PM
He won't leave, simply b/c the city would probably be burned down in anger.

Can't take losing anymore stars, we lost Kevin Garnett, Randy Moss, Johan Santanna, Marion Gaborik.

Adrian Peterson and Mauer are all we have left.

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2009, 12:01 AM
He's loved up there, and he loves it there. I don't think he will demand Tex or CC money though he is definitely worth it, but the Twins would be making a huge mistake by letting him go.

I agree that he'll probably be signed to an extension sometime this offseason before the grand speculation can even begin regarding what he'll do in FA.

EDIT: He'll get something like Morneau got -- 6 years 80 mil.He'll get way more than that. If that's all the Twins offer, they'll lose him and they'll have deserved to. The Yankees and Red Sox will be competing against each other to bid for him, and there's only so much "hometown" discount you can expect someone to eat.

Mauer will also give the Twins the Mother of all Hometown Discounts. He is Michael Jordan up there. Most of his money will come from endorsements, not the playing contract.It's a VERY small TV and radio market. There is very little endorsement money floating around. I can't remember the last time I saw him in an ad for anything.

thomas35forever
10-08-2009, 12:09 AM
I agree with all of the posters on here. I don't see Mauer leaving Minnesota. Even if it means tying up the rest of the team for years, the Twinks will keep him for as long as possible.

samurai_sox
10-08-2009, 03:14 AM

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu152/iamtherealdoodler/BrettFavreJPEGPics__674665B15D.jpg

Not anymore.

DumpJerry
10-08-2009, 04:59 AM
Not anymore.
Please. Given his age, Farve is, at most, a two year quality player with the Vikes. That will not raise him to the deity level of Michael Jordan.

When it comes to Mauer, keep in mind several facts:
1. He is a native of the St. Paul area. Grew up a Twins' fan.
2. The Twins picked him when they decided they wanted to build the team around a high quality (ala Johnny Bench) Catcher. They scouted the world over and found the top prospect in their backyard.
3. Given the approach the Twins take towards player/team development, Mauer is a keeper unlike Santana, Hunter and other all-stars who either play once every fifth game (Santana) or play a position they can train several prospects to play at an above-average level (Hunter). High quality Catchers are much harder to replace than a Santana or Hunter. The team has not seemed to miss either one of them too much given the results of the past two seasons.

Mauer is an institution in Minnesota like Killebrew and Hrbek. He won't be going away any time soon.

Marqhead
10-08-2009, 07:01 AM
He'll get way more than that. If that's all the Twins offer, they'll lose him and they'll have deserved to. The Yankees and Red Sox will be competing against each other to bid for him, and there's only so much "hometown" discount you can expect someone to eat.

What is way more? I think he'll get more than Morneau (who is at $13.33 per year) but I don't think there is a chance he gets $20. Morneau's contract was record setting and he probably could have gotten more had he tested the open market. Pohlad was a tight wad, I don't know much about his son but he's probably the same. I say Mauer is somewhere in the $15-18 area for 5-6 years.

palehozenychicty
10-08-2009, 07:18 AM

What he said. I can't imagine him not with the Twinkies. Not in his prime.

akingamongstmen
10-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Keep in mind that it would be in Mauer's best interests to sign a long-term extension this offseason as well. I love watching the guy play (except when he's beating the Sox), but he's had some troubling injuries for a young guy. 6' 5" catchers with a history of back and knee problems probably don't project to have long careers. If the Twins are smart, they'll DH him regularly to reduce the wear and tear.

That said, he's staying with the Twins. Even as a Sox fan, I'm happy about this for the good of baseball.

Red Barchetta
10-08-2009, 09:36 AM
It's been reported in Minnesota that the Twins are going to offer him a 7yr/$120 million contract, after the season.

I would put the chance of Mauer leaving Minnesota at the end of this contract at <.000000001%.

I agree. He could become (already is) the new face of the organization vs. one of the many faces of the Yankees organization. There are things more important than squeezing out an additional few million on a contract. They have a new ballpark and until proven otherwise, they have been the most consistent division winner over the past decade (5 times).

He should be happy being the big fish in a small pond! It will also take pressure off his performance.

Chez
10-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I've already posted in this thread that I think the Twins will lock up Mauer. But that's not to say that it is, by any stretch, a sure thing. Baseball history (especially recent history) is replete with examples of players who were the "face of the franchise" leaving those franchises at relatively young ages. Ken Griffey Jr. was traded by Seattle at age 30. Mike Piazza was traded by the Dodgers at age 29. Barry Bonds left the Pirates at age 27. Granted, Mauer's situation is different because the Twins are truly his hometown team, but I won't be shocked if he's dealt or if he leaves via free agency.

Rockabilly
10-08-2009, 10:03 AM
If Wayne Gretzky could be traded so can Joe Mauer.

Twins_Morneau
10-08-2009, 12:16 PM
He has all the leverage, and before he signs I hope he forces the team to get an Ace SP and a 3baseman (maybe Figgins). Kinda like how he, Nathan and Morneau forced the OCabrera trade by challenging management in the newspaper.

Marqhead
10-08-2009, 01:42 PM
He has all the leverage, and before he signs I hope he forces the team to get an Ace SP and a 3baseman (maybe Figgins). Kinda like how he, Nathan and Morneau forced the OCabrera trade by challenging management in the newspaper.

So in addition to Mauer's enormous contract, you're expecting the Twins to wilt to a player's demand and hand out 2-3 other enormous contracts? Doubtful.

PennStater98r
10-08-2009, 02:18 PM
He deserves a **** load. I hope he stays in Minnesota. As much as I hate the Twins, I just think he automatically gets in the hall by staying in Minnesota. I don't think he'll demand a lot of money.

It is far too early to be talking HoF for Mauer - give me five more years of performance like his last 3. Also - let's see how well he hits after catching for another 3-5.

PennStater98r
10-08-2009, 02:22 PM
What is way more? I think he'll get more than Morneau (who is at $13.33 per year) but I don't think there is a chance he gets $20. Morneau's contract was record setting and he probably could have gotten more had he tested the open market. Pohlad was a tight wad, I don't know much about his son but he's probably the same. I say Mauer is somewhere in the $15-18 area for 5-6 years.

Uhm - no. How was his contract record setting?

asindc
10-08-2009, 02:25 PM
It is far too early to be talking HoF for Mauer - give me five more years of performance like his last 3. Also - let's see how well he hits after catching for another 3-5.

I think Mauer will catch full-time (at least 110 games, IMO) for no more than 2-3 additional years. I see him DHing at least half his games by 2012. That might be a factor in negotiations.

Marqhead
10-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Uhm - no. How was his contract record setting?

Morneau's contact was the longest and richest in Twins history. Source, wikipedia. I don't feel like finding a better source right now. Maybe tomorrow if you aren't convinced.

ewokpelts
10-08-2009, 04:41 PM
yes.

Twins_Morneau
10-08-2009, 06:50 PM
So in addition to Mauer's enormous contract, you're expecting the Twins to wilt to a player's demand and hand out 2-3 other enormous contracts? Doubtful.

At least one other big salary signing, we have to get this payroll upto 80-90 million. This little engine crap is annoying as a fan, b/c thats all the media sees us as. When in actuality we play more with power than with speed.

Marqhead
10-08-2009, 07:30 PM
At least one other big salary signing, we have to get this payroll upto 80-90 million. This little engine crap is annoying as a fan, b/c thats all the media sees us as. When in actuality we play more with power than with speed.

I'm sure it is annoying, and I fear the day Minnesota decides to make a splash in FA. Fortunately, as a Sox fan I don't see that day coming in the near future. That's just my opinion though. I guess we'll have to see how things pan out with the new ballpark, which I am excited for by the way.

PennStater98r
10-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Morneau's contact was the longest and richest in Twins history. Source, wikipedia. I don't feel like finding a better source right now. Maybe tomorrow if you aren't convinced.

The context with which I was thinking - was not Twins history. If you had said record setting in Minnesota - wouldn't have even thought twice about it. But then again - we usually don't talk record setting within the context of a team... to call it the largest contract in twins history sounds a litte better.

ewokpelts
10-14-2009, 11:36 AM
He's from there.

He's THRIVED there.

There's a new ballpark that gives the twins A LOT of new revenue(crazy carl polhad didnt get a dime from suite sales or parking in the gladbag dome).

I see an extension. He'll stay for at least a few more years.

also, he aint going to the yankees. posada wont be replaced until he retires. george loves him.

Lip Man 1
10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Ewok:

Point of clarification, George no longer is in day to day control of the Yankees. His age and health issues caused him to turn it over to his son Hank.

How Hank feels about Posada, I don't know but he now makes the baseball decisions.

Lip

SBSoxFan
10-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Losing Mauer would certainly kill that team to the point where they would no longer compete for World Series, just 2nd place finishes in the division.

Since when have the Twins been competing for World Series? Are you talking about making the playoffs? Even when they had Santana, Hunter, Mauer, and Morneau they were never favorites to win a World Series.

I agree. He could become (already is) the new face of the organization vs. one of the many faces of the Yankees organization. There are things more important than squeezing out an additional few million on a contract. They have a new ballpark and until proven otherwise, they have been the most consistent division winner over the past decade (5 times).

He should be happy being the big fish in a small pond! It will also take pressure off his performance.

One thing that's more important is winning. Look at this scenario. Let's say the Twin's win even 5 less games at home next year than this year. Since 2001 they've averaged 39 wins per season on the road. That puts them at a mediocre 83 wins in 2010. Does Mauer hang around for that? Or does he decide it may take several years for the Twins to transition to fit their new home stadium, and that he needs to go to a team who has a chance to win the World Series as soon as possible?

Heck, the Twins would probably be better off trading Morneau and adding that money to Mauer's pot. Morneau has typically been horrible in September, and his being injured for the last month of 2009 may have helped the Twins win the AL central.

Nellie_Fox
10-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Since when have the Twins been competing for World Series? Are you talking about making the playoffs? Even when they had Santana, Hunter, Mauer, and Morneau they were never favorites to win a World Series.If you're in the playoffs, you're competing for the World Series. Being "favorites" and "competing" are two different things. The 2006 Cardinals weren't the favorites, but they certainly competed.

guillensdisciple
10-14-2009, 01:34 PM
If the Twins let Mauer go, Twins fans will go off the bandwagon in a split second. Who will blame them for that? This guy is a franchise player, and deserves to be signed for a long time.