PDA

View Full Version : 10 years of great change: 1999 to 2009

tony1972
10-06-2009, 10:30 PM
So even though this year is a disappointment...just think how far our franchise has come in the past decade. 1999 we only drew 1.3 million fans...Sox fans were still upset about the White Flag trade and the strike. New Comiskey Park was only 9 years old..but the ballpark had become the laughingstock of baseball.

A good crowd in 1999 was 20,000 on a Saturday in June with Fireworks. The neighborhood was considered dangerous. The White Sox were an afterthought in Chicago. Our last playoff season was 6 years earlier in 1993 (and one in which we did not win a single home game)

Forward to October, 2009...we draw 2.3 million in a losing season. Our ballpark (although not Wrigley or Fenway) has come a LONG way since the blue parking garage with the UFO that looked like it landed on top of it. Where there once were projects..now sits condos,townhouses, and a Starbucks. Halsted between 33rd and 38th is up and coming. Next year the Metra stops at 35th Street. We've seen MORE postseason appearances since 1999..than we did from 1959 to 1999. Our team won the World Series....we witnessed two World Series game played in our ballpark......we hosted the All Star Game...we saw a no hitter and a perfect game.

Although the Cubs still remain more popular..our fanbase has probably doubled and grown faster than at any other ten year period in White Sox History. The POTUS even wears his Sox gear on vacation, at the all star game, etc. The White Sox are no longer an afterthought in Chicago.

What I'm saying..is appreciate this time as a White Sox fan. Think about how bad things were only a decade ago.

And look forward to 2010...

Lip Man 1
10-06-2009, 10:44 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3903

Lip

tony1972
10-06-2009, 10:45 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3903

Lip

I know..I just noticed....:redface:

Dub25
10-06-2009, 10:50 PM
So even though this year is a disappointment...just think how far our franchise has come in the past decade. 1999 we only drew 1.3 million fans...Sox fans were still upset about the White Flag trade and the strike. New Comiskey Park was only 9 years old..but the ballpark had become the laughingstock of baseball.

A good crowd in 1999 was 20,000 on a Saturday in June with Fireworks. The neighborhood was considered dangerous. The White Sox were an afterthought in Chicago. Our last playoff season was 6 years earlier in 1993 (and one in which we did not win a single home game)

Forward to October, 2009...we draw 2.3 million in a losing season. Our ballpark (although not Wrigley or Fenway) has come a LONG way since the blue parking garage with the UFO that looked like it landed on top of it. Where there once were projects..now sits condos,townhouses, and a Starbucks. Halsted between 33rd and 38th is up and coming. Next year the Metra stops at 35th Street. We've seen MORE postseason appearances since 1999..than we did from 1959 to 1999. Our team won the World Series....we witnessed two World Series game played in our ballpark......we hosted the All Star Game...we saw a no hitter and a perfect game.

Although the Cubs still remain more popular..our fanbase has probably doubled and grown faster than at any other ten year period in White Sox History. The POTUS even wears his Sox gear on vacation, at the all star game, etc. The White Sox are no longer an afterthought in Chicago.

What I'm saying..is appreciate this time as a White Sox fan. Think about how bad things were only a decade ago.

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

TheCommander
10-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Forward to October, 2009...we draw 2.3 million in a losing season. Our ballpark (although not Wrigley or Fenway)....

THANK GOD! :nod:

PKalltheway
10-06-2009, 11:03 PM
The Sox have certainly come a long way in the last 10 years.

Here's to more postseason appearances, and hopefully another title (or titles) in the next decade!:gulp:

DSpivack
10-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Hadn't gone to many Sox games in the late 90's. As a sophomore in high school, I took the long train ride down to Comiskey on opening night in 2000. I was annoyed as my friends wanted to wander around the park and see the game from many places, while I liked to sit in my seat and keep score. I haven't kept score much since. I remember it as an unseasonably warm night against the Angels featuring a spectacular running catch into RF by Ray Durham. The atmosphere that night felt special, and that year was fun. A good decade as a Sox fan it was.

skobabe8
10-07-2009, 08:49 AM

GREAT post!

But there has been no action at the proposed Metra stop. I'm not sure what the timetable is anymore.

beasly213
10-07-2009, 09:11 AM
:threadrules:

wilburaga
10-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Williams > Schueler
Guillen > Bevington
Boyer > Gallas

W

hawkjt
10-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Williams > Schueler
Guillen > Bevington
Boyer > Gallas

W

So true. That right there is huge progress.

I was thinking about how in the current environment, if the Sox needed public money to build a new park, I wonder if they would even get as much public support as the last go around. All this negativity about getting the olympics made me wonder if citizens would tell the Sox to go to Florida at this point. Sad,really. The lack of trust in local govt is appalling. I am just glad they kept the sox in town forever,hopefully, back then. Can you imagine the summer without the Sox? Yikes.

Just wish the Twins had been contracted:D:

MARTINMVP
10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
just wish the twins had been contracted:d:

lol yes!

twinsuck
10-07-2009, 12:02 PM
That's 11 seasons... 2000-2009 would be 10 seasons.

Mots09
10-07-2009, 01:05 PM
In college I remember heading into Chicago for the half price Monday's and Pepsi half price Tuesdays.

Then I moved to the middle of Iowa... :gulp:

russ99
10-07-2009, 01:49 PM
GREAT post!

But there has been no action at the proposed Metra stop. I'm not sure what the timetable is anymore.

I've heard it will open in 2010, but after the baseball season.

That transit funding debacle a few years ago stalled it for a year.

tacosalbarojas
10-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Great post!

mrfourni
10-07-2009, 04:04 PM
GREAT post!

I've heard it will open in 2010, but after the baseball season.

That transit funding debacle a few years ago stalled it for a year.

I think what skobabe8 is saying is that there has been absolutely no work done on the metra 35th street stop since they announced that ground was being broken back in March. I take the Rock Island home from work everyday and have also seen no work being done.

If anyone else saw the slow progress of the 99th street Beverly station, you know that it took 4+ years to fully renovate that station. I would not get my hopes up for the 35th street station until you actually see work being started.

skobabe8
10-07-2009, 05:28 PM
I think what skobabe8 is saying is that there has been absolutely no work done on the metra 35th street stop since they announced that ground was being broken back in March. I take the Rock Island home from work everyday and have also seen no work being done.

If anyone else saw the slow progress of the 99th street Beverly station, you know that it took 4+ years to fully renovate that station. I would not get my hopes up for the 35th street station until you actually see work being started.

That's exactly what I was saying.

SteveFakeBlood
10-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Hadn't gone to many Sox games in the late 90's. As a sophomore in high school, I took the long train ride down to Comiskey on opening night in 2000. I was annoyed as my friends wanted to wander around the park and see the game from many places, while I liked to sit in my seat and keep score. I haven't kept score much since. I remember it as an unseasonably warm night against the Angels featuring a spectacular running catch into RF by Ray Durham. The atmosphere that night felt special, and that year was fun. A good decade as a Sox fan it was.

Cool, I was at the game that night as well. Interestingly, all I can remember about that game off the top of my head other than the Sox winning 9-4 was Durham's running catch you described. A great way to begin a great decade.

Although, I'm a third generation Sox fan with a grandfather who grew up in Bridgeport (and in essence, my fate was sealed before my birth)- I think 1993 was what turned me into a true lifer (and even though they broke my young heart in the playoffs that year, that will still be my favorite Sox team because they were the first one I really followed regularly) and seeing the high hopes of the '94 team wiped out by the strike really hurt for a few years. I was still going to games and following the team (the '96 power-hitting team with Thomas, Ventura, Baines and Tartabull all hitting over 25 homers got me a little excited again), but 2000 was the year that saved me from turning into a casual fan.

The 2003 season hurt quite a bit because of all the what-ifs (what if Konerko had just had an average year? What if Buehrle had had an average first half? What if the Sox hadn't lost 8 games to the 119 loss Tigers?) and my wounded pride (I'd boldly declared that the Sox would make the playoffs and the Cubs wouldn't at the beginning of September...oops). But since 2005, the seasons have hurt BECAUSE of 2005 and that's been great to see. That brought together generations of Sox fans (or in my case, reunited me with childhood friends I hadn't seen in years and ended up watching several playoff games with), changed the expectations of Sox fans and revitalized pride in the team. Talking about attendance is best left to Cubs fans, but it is a pretty good sign that over the past 5 years the team has drawn over 2.2 million fans (including the miseries of '07 and this year).

I guess, my point is 2000 and 2005 made it worth sitting through 18 games (including a loss to the Cubs) in 2007 (well, that and seeing Buehrle's no-hitter) and made it worth the heartbreak of '06. So I concur with this thread, it's been a great decade to be a Sox fan!

~Steve

Brian26
10-07-2009, 07:19 PM
That's 11 seasons... 2000-2009 would be 10 seasons.

Not if he's talking about October 7, 1999. I assumed he was starting with the end of the '99 season.

thomas35forever
10-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Great stuff right there. I look forward to bigger and better things from this club in the next decade.

TDog
10-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Compare that to the 10 years that ended with my coming of age as a baseball fan. After the White Sox made the World Series in 1959, the 1960s included one season finishing a game behind the Yankees and another season where wining four of five games from the two last-place teams in the league would have sent them to the World Series (instead losing all five left them three games out in fourth place). That degenerated into Milwaukee home games in 1968 (a season that began with a then-record 10-game losing streak) and 1969, when divisional baseball was introduced and the Sox languished in a division with two expansion teams, finishing behind one of them. Their only all-star, a rookie, suffered what appeared to be a career-ending injury, and a promising rookie pitcher was killed in the offseason.

And, yet, the worst season in franchise history was yet to come.

I remember watching a game in 1969 where the White Sox celebrated the 10-year anniversary of the World Series season. At my age, it seemed that it must have been much longer than 10 years since the White Sox could have been nearly as good.

Young fans today don't know how lucky they are to have grown up in this White Sox era.

MarkZ35
10-07-2009, 10:29 PM

I wonder if the Sox organization are trying to push for the stop or not. You would have to think that attendance would go up but the parking lots would be used less. That's $22 and on the rise that they lose on each car. Why tailgate in the parking lots when you can eat and drink on the trains? Heck, if you really wanted you could set up a bags set in the aisle. But realistically I wonder if they care whether it gets put in or not?

palehozenychicty
10-07-2009, 11:05 PM
This thread is spot on. The White Sox looked dead in the water at the tail end of the 1990s. The crazy thing about this new millennium is that they could have had a LOT more success. But that's part of being a White Sox fan, is wondering what could have been.