PDA

View Full Version : Official NLDS Thread: Colorado Rockies vs. Philadelphia Phillies

PKalltheway
10-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Probable Starters
Game 1 @ Philly: Ubaldo Jiminez (15-12, 3.47 ERA) vs. Cliff Lee (14-13, 3.22 ERA)
Game 2 @ Philly: Aaron Cook (11-6, 4.16 ERA) vs. Cole Hamels (10-11, 4.32 ERA)
Jason Hammel is slated to go for the Rockies in Game 3, and Jason Marquis is the probable starter for Game 4.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2009/matchup/_/teams/rockies-phillies

Jorge De La Rosa will be out for the first round as well due to an injured left groin.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4537155

I think the Phils will take this one in four games. The Rockies are really going to miss De La Rosa in this series.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Go Phillies!

Dub25
10-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Go Phillies!

Yeah, what she said.

Marqhead
10-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Phillies have to much power and speed in that lineup. If Cliff Lee and Hamels get going, this series will be done quick.

The Rockies offense has to show up big time to take this series.

I think the Phils win in a sweep.

tstrike2000
10-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Phillies have a superior offensive team and a couple of good starters, but I hope the Rockies win this series. No reason really other than Philadelphia just won a WS and the Rockies are still relative playoff noobs even though they've made it 2 out of the last 3 years. Jose didn't work here this year, but maybe he can contribute to Colorado out of the pen.

beasly213
10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Go Rockies! I'll be rooting for them to win the World Series. I would cheer for the Dodgers because of Thome but I don't want Manny getting another ring.

guillensdisciple
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
This will be a very interesting series. I am very excited to see what the Rockies can do.

PKalltheway
10-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Scoreless after one inning in Game 1, but the wind is howling out to RF at 26 MPH. Anybody who gets the ball in the air to RF is going to take it out today.

soltrain21
10-07-2009, 02:13 PM
That pitchtrax thing in the corner looks like a mistake every time it pops up.

Huisj
10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Contreras is on the Rockies' roster in the bullpen?

Marqhead
10-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Contreras is on the Rockies' roster in the bullpen?

He's been pitching out of the pen for a while now.

Huisj
10-07-2009, 03:00 PM
He's been pitching out of the pen for a while now.

Right. But that didn't necessarily mean he'd make the playoff roster. He missed some time after that leg injury he had on the bases during one of his first starts in September, so it wasn't really a given he'd be on the roster. Makes sense though given their other pitching injuries right now though.

getonbckthr
10-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Hopefully Rocktober works this year

10-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I'll tell ya, even though he is losing 4-0, Ubaldo Jimeniez (sp) looks really really good. He has a 2 seam FB at 95, a 4 seam that hits 99, and a plus change and curve. Filthy.

Marqhead
10-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I'll tell ya, even though he is losing 4-0, Ubaldo Jimeniez (sp) looks really really good. He has a 2 seam FB at 95, a 4 seam that hits 99, and a plus change and curve. Filthy.

That ball was crushed by Howard, but the LF got turned around on the play, and it was a catch-able ball. Jimenez has looked pretty good though.

GoGoCrede
10-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I haven't had time to watch, but I wanted to ask - are they doing that annoying thing again where they show how much of a lead the runner at first base has?

manders_01
10-07-2009, 11:29 PM
I would be shocked if there is a ballgame in Denver on Saturday. Current forecast is a high of 36 (32 by game time) with a 70% chance of precipitation (snow in the AM changing to rain). I sounds like the front is going to be fairly big and don't know how the field would be playable if it's raining all day. I hope they start looking at bumping the games (yeah, I said games, Rox are taking it to at least 4) sooner rather than later.

Granted, if there is a game, I'll so be there. I need to go find a purple winter coat! :tongue:

KenBerryGrab
10-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Rockies determined to swipe homefield advantage!

Marqhead
10-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Contreras made it into the game. Looks like he gave up a couple of hits and let in two of Cook's baserunners.

Got a nice DP to end the inning and prevent further damage.

4-3 Rox right now and they are threatening again.

WSox73
10-08-2009, 04:15 PM
They just said Cole Hamels left the stadium because his wife just went into labor. :o: First time I ever heard that announced.

PKalltheway
10-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Rockies even the series at one game apiece, but it didn't come without some drama in the 9th.

The game time temperature for Saturday's game in Colorado is expected to be 34 degrees, with a 70% chance of snow showers. Yikes.:o::o:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/mlb/gameforecast/80205?eventid=313990&epc=be

manders_01
10-08-2009, 11:34 PM
I would be shocked if there is a ballgame in Denver on Saturday. Current forecast is a high of 36 (32 by game time) with a 70% chance of precipitation (snow in the AM changing to rain). I sounds like the front is going to be fairly big and don't know how the field would be playable if it's raining all day. I hope they start looking at bumping the games (yeah, I said games, Rox are taking it to at least 4) sooner rather than later.

Granted, if there is a game, I'll so be there. I need to go find a purple winter coat! :tongue:

I swear every weather forecast since I posted that, the number keeps going down. It's now supposed to be a high of 33 on Saturday so it'll maybe be 30 by game time??? :shocked:

Wish I would have seen the game today. We nervous as hell in front on my computer in the bottom of the ninth keeping track via Gameday. Glad for the big W though! :bandance:

manders_01
10-10-2009, 10:36 AM
This is now getting ridiculous. Game time temp is to be in the low 20's. The players, afraid of seeming wussy I suppose, are all scoffing at it. I wish one of them would have the balls to say that this type of weather could be potential for injuries! This game has not been called and it will be a game time decision. Why? Seriously, why wait??? Maybe the temperature might be in the mid-20's instead of the low-20's. Well then game on! ****ing Bud Selig! :angry:

Seriously, who gives a **** if the players, or even the fans, are cold. If someone goes down in the playoffs because the game could be postponed one day (this is a seven-day series - they have time) and have considerably better temperatures and no precipitation but wasn't and now either team is not the best team they could be for the playoffs because of injuries, what the **** is the point?!?!?! :angry:

Sorry for my rant but this is frustrating. I'm not happy that no one is acknowledging the fact that this has gone from playing while uncomfortable to playing and risking injury.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091009&content_id=7412550&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/21253577/detail.html

PKalltheway
10-10-2009, 10:51 AM
This is now getting ridiculous. Game time temp is to be in the low 20's. The players, afraid of seeming wussy I suppose, are all scoffing at it. I wish one of them would have the balls to say that this type of weather could be potential for injuries! This game has not been called and it will be a game time decision. Why? Seriously, why wait??? Maybe the temperature might be in the mid-20's instead of the low-20's. Well then game on! ****ing Bud Selig! :angry:

Seriously, who gives a **** if the players, or even the fans, are cold. If someone goes down in the playoffs because the game could be postponed one day (this is a seven-day series - they have time) and have considerably better temperatures and no precipitation but wasn't and now either team is not the best team they could be for the playoffs because of injuries, what the **** is the point?!?!?! :angry:

Sorry for my rant but this is frustrating. I'm not happy that no one is acknowledging the fact that this has gone from playing while uncomfortable to playing and risking injury.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091009&content_id=7412550&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/21253577/detail.html
I think it all hinges on how much it will snow. If there's a considerable amount of snow, they'll postpone it. If it doesn't snow that much, then I don't know why they wouldn't play. It's just cold weather. If college baseball teams can play in cold weather in February/March, then MLB players certainly can do it in October.

sox1970
10-10-2009, 11:10 AM
They have postponed this game.

manders_01
10-10-2009, 11:12 AM
They have postponed this game.

I'm glad to read that! Granted, my tickets are now going to be all sorts of out-of-whack but that's okay.

Per MLB: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20091010&content_id=7420048&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

manders_01
10-10-2009, 11:22 AM
I think it all hinges on how much it will snow. If there's a considerable amount of snow, they'll postpone it. If it doesn't snow that much, then I don't know why they wouldn't play. It's just cold weather. If college baseball teams can play in cold weather in February/March, then MLB players certainly can do it in October.

At 20 degrees, now matter how much you're moving, you are not staying warm. This isn't football; you're running down the field if you're not on the sideline in front of the heater. I very much disagree with you. However, I agree to disagree cause I'm guessing our opinions will never merge on that one.

I will admit I'm happy for a very selfish reason too - I had no idea how I was going to get the rest of my house cleaned, work out, get ready and make food before people started arriving at my house at 6. :D:

Johnny Mostil
10-10-2009, 11:35 AM
It's just cold weather. If college baseball teams can play in cold weather in February/March, then MLB players certainly can do it in October.

Not a great parallel. First, while I don't follow college ball much, I'm not sure how much those teams really do play in cold weather. For example, I just checked Illinois's schedule for this past season, and saw the Illini played their first nine games in Florida, Texas, and Louisiana. Second, colleges play their championship games as the weather improves, not as it worsens. College playoffs, of course, aren't until May and June, and the Illini didn't even open Big 10 play until late March.

It's not going to happen, but the season really should be shortened, or maybe there should be fewer off-days both within and between series. For example, if the Yanks and Angels both win tomorrow, why wait until Friday to start the ALCS?. Good grief, the World Series this year won't start until October 28th? To my knowledge, that's later than all but two World Series (last year and 2001) ended.

PKalltheway
10-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Not a great parallel. First, while I don't follow college ball much, I'm not sure how much those teams really do play in cold weather. For example, I just checked Illinois's schedule for this past season, and saw the Illini played their first nine games in Florida, Texas, and Louisiana. Second, colleges play their championship games as the weather improves, not as it worsens. College playoffs, of course, aren't until May and June, and the Illini didn't even open Big 10 play until late March.

It's not going to happen, but the season really should be shortened, or maybe there should be fewer off-days both within and between series. For example, if the Yanks and Angels both win tomorrow, why wait until Friday to start the ALCS?. Good grief, the World Series this year won't start until October 28th? To my knowledge, that's later than all but two World Series (last year and 2001) ended.
I have been to many UC baseball games in March when the weather was absolutely brutal. Most of your northern teams begin the season with a baseball tournament in Florida, but they begin their home slate in early March. I was wrong for including February.

However, I don't see what the big deal is with cold weather when there is no snow, but that's just me. People act like baseball has never been played in frigid temperatures before. It's all moot at this point anyway.

chisoxfanatic
10-10-2009, 12:02 PM

ISU always schedules tournaments in Florida, Texas, Tennessee, or the like in February and early March. They usually start their home schedule around the 3rd week of March.

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I really think this is going to be one of the best series of the 09 playoffs...just a feeling.

Johnny Mostil
10-10-2009, 12:21 PM
However, I don't see what the big deal is with cold weather when there is no snow, but that's just me. People act like baseball has never been played in frigid temperatures before. It's all moot at this point anyway.

It's played in the cold many spring nights every year at the Cel. I'm just not sure why MLB wants to put its showcase event at such risk for bad weather. If it's all for television anyway, maybe it ought to be in a TV studio for baseball (like the Super Bowl is in a TV studio for football?). On early November nights, I doubt that's outdoors in Denver (or Chicago or New York).

#1swisher
10-10-2009, 12:54 PM

Game 3 rescheduled for Sunday 10:07 pm ET because of cold and snowy weather
Game 4 Monday
Game 5 if needed Tuesday in Philadelphia

chisoxfanatic
10-10-2009, 01:07 PM
It's played in the cold many spring nights every year at the Cel. I'm just not sure why MLB wants to put its showcase event at such risk for bad weather. If it's all for television anyway, maybe it ought to be in a TV studio for baseball (like the Super Bowl is in a TV studio for football?). On early November nights, I doubt that's outdoors in Denver (or Chicago or New York).
This is just another reason they should do away with the World Baseball Classic, because it forces the World Series to start so late.

voodoochile
10-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Game 3 rescheduled for Sunday 10:07 pm ET because of cold and snowy weather
Game 4 Monday
Game 5 if needed Tuesday in Philadelphia

Just showed a shot of the field on NBC. It's totally blanketed in snow...

Johnny Mostil
10-10-2009, 02:26 PM
This is just another reason they should do away with the World Baseball Classic, because it forces the World Series to start so late.

Agree. Or, at the very least, if keeping it, have it after everything else is done rather than before it starts (e.g., better in Florida in November than in February).

manders_01
10-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Just showed a shot of the field on NBC. It's totally blanketed in snow...

I was surprised to see that shot as well cause they have heaters under the field. Maybe they only turn them on within a certain time from first pitch though; I don't know.

Mohoney
10-11-2009, 06:34 AM

Sunday day-night doubleheaders would shorten the season to the point where it starts in mid-April, and ends in mid-September. However, the players' union would throw a fit, and I couldn't really blame them.

voodoochile
10-11-2009, 09:49 AM

Just to be picky, even without the WBC, this might still have happened. Without it this would be the week of the NLCS which the Rockies might be playing in.

Lots of funky weather patterns this year too with the El Nino.

SBSoxFan
10-11-2009, 12:28 PM
10:07 E.S.T. on a Sunday night? :scratch::angry:

Way to make yourself accessible to the young fans. Or to the people who work tomorrow morning.

voodoochile
10-11-2009, 12:38 PM
10:07 E.S.T. on a Sunday night? :scratch::angry:

Way to make yourself accessible to the young fans. Or to the people who work tomorrow morning.

It's in Colorado so it's an 8 PM start locally. TBS is running all of the ALDS games and with 4 originally scheduled one of them had to start late. All the other games were in the central or eastern time zones.

SBSoxFan
10-11-2009, 12:50 PM
It's in Colorado so it's an 8 PM start locally. TBS is running all of the ALDS games and with 4 originally scheduled one of them had to start late. All the other games were in the central or eastern time zones.

Can't I complain without logic being brought into the arguement? :tongue: But there weren't 4 originally scheduled, right? Only three. When they moved this game from Saturday, they already knew the St. Louis/LA series was over.

Couldn't they have started the game around 5 eastern? That's more like a regular Sunday afternoon start locally. The LA/Boston game will already be over, and it would probably only overlap the Yankees/Twins for an hour.

However, I see that the Broncos are hosting New England today, and it's a 4:15 est start. I think that might have more to do with it.

voodoochile
10-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Can't I complain without logic being brought into the arguement? :tongue: But there weren't 4 originally scheduled, right? Only three. When they moved this game from Saturday, they already knew the St. Louis/LA series was over.

Couldn't they have started the game around 5 eastern? That's more like a regular Sunday afternoon start locally. The LA/Boston game will already be over, and it would probably only overlap the Yankees/Twins for an hour.

However, I see that the Broncos are hosting New England today, and it's a 4:15 est start. I think that might have more to do with it.

The Saturday game was canceled very early. I don't think the other game had even started yet.

And yeah, the football game plays into it I imagine.

Marqhead
10-11-2009, 10:08 PM
30 degrees. Unreal.

Rockies with an early lead. 2-1

chisoxfanatic
10-11-2009, 10:30 PM
This game is tied up!!! Go Phillies!!!

SoxSpeed22
10-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Contreras is in the game for Colorado. Go Jose.

Marqhead
10-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Contreras is in the game for Colorado. Go Jose.

Not pitching too well. Two walks and a hit give the Phillies the lead.

RadioheadRocks
10-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Not pitching too well. Two walks and a hit give the Phillies the lead.

Not much seems to have changed, he gets in a world of trouble once he starts walking batters.

JB98
10-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Contreras struggling in the cold at Denver. Fortunate to only give up one run in the top of the sixth.

tacosalbarojas
10-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Not much seems to have changed, he gets in a world of trouble once he starts walking batters.
True, however, looks to me like he's completely been made to abandon the sidearm delivery (good thing in my book) and he does seem to be throwing with more velocity. I've seen him hit 94-95 in more than one stadium since joining the Rockies, so I don't think it's a radar gun effect.

doublem23
10-11-2009, 11:39 PM

As opposed to those pitchers who thrive when they walk batters? :neener:

No surprise, though. Jose seems to only have two modes, "Absolutely Unhittable" or "Completely Absymal." Can't seem to find the "Serviceable" setting any more, one thing goes wrong and it triggers an avalanche.

guillensdisciple
10-11-2009, 11:45 PM
I am hoping the Rocks can win this one, they are the only team I really want to win in the playoffs.

Thome is great and all, but the Rockies have a really cool uniform.

DSpivack
10-12-2009, 12:08 AM
I am hoping the Rocks can win this one, they are the only team I really want to win in the playoffs.

Thome is great and all, but the Rockies have a really cool uniform.

Take away the logos, and I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between their home whites and ours.

guillensdisciple
10-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Take away the logos, and I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between their home whites and ours.

I am biased, the first uniform I ever wore in little league baseball belonged to the Rockies. I began my career as a third basemen and pitcher with the Rocks. Due to this, I owe them and their uniform a little appreciation.

Besides, their stadium is uber cool too.

RadioheadRocks
10-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Alright at least the Rockies tied it again.

DSpivack
10-12-2009, 12:29 AM
I am biased, the first uniform I ever wore in little league baseball belonged to the Rockies. I began my career as a third basemen and pitcher with the Rocks. Due to this, I owe them and their uniform a little appreciation.

Besides, their stadium is uber cool too.

I don't dislike Coors Field, but to me it seems very, very similar in seating structure to Turner Field [which is odd, because DIA's layout is nearly identical to Hartsfield-Jackson, as well], and somewhat similar to AT&T Park, Nats Park and Camden Yards. Only difference is, you can't see "purple mountain majesties" from those other locales [though I like the parks in Baltimore and San Francisco much more]. :cool:

thomas35forever
10-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Is anyone else sick at how late these games run? Not exactly the best way to attract new fans to baseball.

RadioheadRocks
10-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! :bandance:

On to the bottom of the 8th...

RadioheadRocks
10-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Well that was quick... on to the 9th...

doublem23
10-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Is anyone else sick at how late these games run? Not exactly the best way to attract new fans to baseball.

Not to mention the game started at like 9 PM local time in Denver, I think. That's ****ing ridiculous.

DSpivack
10-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Not to mention the game started at like 9 PM local time in Denver, I think. That's ****ing ridiculous.

9pm here, 8 mountain.

GoGoCrede
10-12-2009, 01:08 AM
I want the Rockies to win, but Giambi is up to bat now. Decisions, decisions.

RadioheadRocks
10-12-2009, 01:15 AM
So much for that.

manders_01
10-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Well that ****ing sucked!!! :angry: Rox, would really like a win tomorrow. :praying:

gobears1987
10-12-2009, 06:50 PM
This is a very well pitched game from all ends.

gobears1987
10-12-2009, 07:32 PM
The Rockie jerseys look a lot like the Sox home unis. Morales is a lefty pitcher so it's like watching Buehrle when they have the camera zoomed out for the pitch.

Huisj
10-12-2009, 07:58 PM
That leap by Dexter Fowler just now over Utley was awesome.

GoGoCrede
10-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Giambi ties it in the bottom of the 8th! Wow.

gobears1987
10-12-2009, 08:06 PM
This is amazing now.

GoGoCrede
10-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Game 5 should be great (assuming the Rockies hold on here).

Bucky F. Dent
10-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Why the long conversation - two words - throw strikes

thomas35forever
10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Howard is awesome.

Bucky F. Dent
10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Holy ***** they just tied it!

Brian26
10-12-2009, 08:30 PM
What a comeback by the Phillies. Wow.

thomas35forever
10-12-2009, 08:30 PM
What a mood swing in Colorado.

Bucky F. Dent
10-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Man, somebody better take that kid's belt and razor out of his locker.

Patrick134
10-12-2009, 08:34 PM
The week Nathan, Papelbum, and now Street all blew 2 run saves in the 9th inning.

Bucky F. Dent
10-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Do you dare put Lidge on the bump?

Patrick134
10-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Do you dare put Lidge on the bump?

Sure, the Rockies don't have Podsednik to pinch hit anymore.

Brian26
10-12-2009, 08:48 PM
If Lidge can close this out, you have to think he's feeling pretty good about himself with two saves in a row. On the otherhand, last night's save was shakey. If he blows this tonight, Manuel probably can't count on him for the rest of the postseason if they advance.

Bucky F. Dent
10-12-2009, 08:48 PM
"ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?"

Charlie Manuel answers the question.

Bucky F. Dent
10-12-2009, 08:50 PM
A couple of the umps in the Yankees series would have called that a swing.

thomas35forever
10-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Phillies-Dodgers rematch in the NLCS.

Patrick134
I'd hate to be Tulo and have that swing end our season.

MarkZ35
What a tough 2 days for Tulowitzki. He had 2 chances to be a hero at the end.

Brian26
10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Glad to see Giambi lose too.

Tragg
10-12-2009, 08:53 PM
The Phillies have so many good players - good athletes who are also good hitters. Their hitters don't, oh my gosh, pull everything. Watching them demonstrates to me how much more talent the Sox need to contend: a lot.
My mild rooting interest won all 4 of the first round series.

WhiteSox1989
10-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Was hoping the Rockies would pull through. Oh well. Go Dodgers!

manders_01
10-12-2009, 09:54 PM
The downside - the Rockies are no longer in the postseason. The upside - they were the only eliminated team that got a win and I will be saving significant amounts of money not paying for more postseason tickets. My emotions went from excited to even to low to high to way high to low to way low.

Thanks for the amazing season Rockies. In May, there was no way I thought they were going to do anything this season. Thank you for proving me wrong.

guillensdisciple
10-12-2009, 10:23 PM
This only leaves the Dodgers. Come on Jim, get that ring!

StillMissOzzie
10-12-2009, 10:47 PM
The week Nathan, Papelbum, and now Street all blew 2 run saves in the 9th inning.

I noted the same thing with my son earlier. This has been the playoffs for the premier closers to choke on it big time.

SMO
:gulp: