PDA

View Full Version : Game 163, Part II

DumpJerry
10-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Continue...

Viva Medias B's
10-06-2009, 08:56 PM
24 hours from now, the Twins will be down 0-1 to the Yankees in the ALDS.

GoGoCrede
We played the role of spoiler, all right. I'm glad we have Peavy.

AnkleSox
Man, it was bad enough rooting for the Tigers, now I have to root for the Yankees :whiner:

But this is how much I hate the twins and all that is Minnesota sports.

Marqhead
10-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I love that a game thread our team isn't involved in is 500+ posts, but then again it was one hell of a game.

Motownsports should be superb reading material while I'm bored at work tomorrow.

Epic choke by the Tigers, **** the Twins, but then again I'm don't really like any of the AL teams in the playoffs.

thomas35forever
Minnesota has to be walking on high ground after all that has taken place in the last 24 hours. They'll probably hold a funeral for the Dome when they blow it up.

JermaineDye05
It should have been a "cake walk" this year. The Sox still have **** to fix.

The White Sox had DeWayne Wise starting in CF and Josh Fields at 3B at the beginning of the year and had Bartolo Colon and Jose Contreras as their 4-5 starters which didn't make it into much of a cake walk. They could have won this year, yes, but I think with a full season of Alex Rios, Gordon Beckham, and Jake Peavy, this team could run away with the division by the all star break.

Dick Allen
10-06-2009, 08:58 PM
We have only ourselves to blame - getting swept by the Twins at home two weeks ago and then beating the Tigers like a drum.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2009, 08:58 PM
We played the role of spoiler, all right. I'm glad we have Peavy.
Yes, we did. If there's any consolation, it is that Detroit wouldn't have lost the division to the Twins if it weren't for us.

GoGoCrede
10-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Tigers needed to take care of business against us. Didn't happen.

TommyJohn
It was a great game, I must admit. Too bad it wasn't a Red Sox-Yankee battle, it would go down in history. ESPN will quickly forget about this one, though.

DumpJerry
Twins, meet the Yankees:

http://www.bedair.org/Projects/chipper11.jpg

Viva Medias B's
Minnesota has to be walking on high ground after all that has taken place in the last 24 hours. They'll probably hold a funeral for the Dome when they blow it up.

The only problem is that the Dome will not be blown up; the Vikings are still there.

soltrain21
10-06-2009, 09:00 PM
The White Sox had DeWayne Wise starting in CF and Josh Fields at 3B at the beginning of the year and had Bartolo Colon and Jose Contreras as their 4-5 starters which didn't make it into much of a cake walk. They could have won this year, yes, but I think with a full season of Alex Rios, Gordon Beckham, and Jake Peavy, this team could run away with the division by the all star break.

Who is in our bullpen? Who is our right fielder. You are jumping the gun WAY too much. By the ASB? No way. We finished below .500 this year. **** needs to change.

Frankfan4life
Man, it was bad enough rooting for the Tigers, now I have to root for the Yankees :whiner:

But this is how much I hate the twins and all that is Minnesota sports.I feel you but the scary thing about this is that every team we've rooted for this season has lost. :whiner::whiner:

DumpJerry
It was a great game, I must admit. Too bad it wasn't a Red Sox-Yankee battle, it would go down in history. ESPN will quickly forget about this one, though.
No, thank goodness it wasn't a Red Sox/Yankees matchup. It would be called the most epic event in the history since Caesar crossed the Rubicon by ESPN.

SoxSpeed22
10-06-2009, 09:01 PM
I feel you but the scary thing about this is that every team we've rooted for this season has lost. :whiner::whiner:29/30 teams lose. The Yankees will get those bastards.

thomas35forever
The only problem is that the Dome will not be blown up; the Vikings are still there.
I know. I'm talking about when the day finally comes.

BleacherBandit
29/30 teams lose. The Yankees will get those bastards.

It'll be a battle of bastards. God, there isn't a team but the Rockies that I can root for.

GoGoCrede
10-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Where was Thome when he was needed? :cool: Oh, getting ready for the NLDS.

Who won the season series? Not that it really matters, but I'm curious to see where it would have been held if we'd still been using the coin toss.

JermaineDye05
10-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Who is in our bullpen? Who is our right fielder. You are jumping the gun WAY too much. By the ASB? No way. We finished below .500 this year. **** needs to change.

Bullpens are crapshoots. When you have starters going deep into ballgames all the time, your bullpen is much better. Just look at 05 with Neal Cotts and Cliff Politte.

soltrain21
10-06-2009, 09:03 PM
It'll be a battle of bastards. God, there isn't a team but the Rockies that I can root for.

Jim Thome getting a ring with the Dodgers? How could you not want that?

BleacherBandit
10-06-2009, 09:04 PM

I love Thome, but my hate for Manny Ramirez outweights that. Sorry Jim, can't root for you.

TheBigHurtST
10-06-2009, 09:05 PM

I concur. However, I'm a Cardinals fan; I can't root against them.

JermaineDye05
10-06-2009, 09:06 PM
I love Thome, but my hate for Manny Ramirez outweights that. Sorry Jim, can't root for you.

I hate Manny too but my love for Jim Thome, Andre Ethier, and James Loney outweighs that hate.

TheBigHurtST

Really? It's truly sad to me that you're that bitter.

Frater Perdurabo
Go National League.

I hate having to root for the NL.

Thatguyoverthere
10-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Go National League.

I hate having to root for the NL.Agree 100% with this post.

Viva Medias B's
10-06-2009, 09:08 PM
I concur. However, I'm a Cardinals fan; I can't root against them.

The Redbirds are my second favorite team behind our team. Hence, I'll be a temporary member of Cardinal Nation until the Cardinals are either eliminated or go all the way. Though, if the Dodgers eliminate the Cardinals, I'd probably root for L.A. so that Thome could get that ring.

thomas35forever
10-06-2009, 09:09 PM
The only problem I have with the AL playoffs is that it's the same damn teams every year. Most years, we have New York, Boston, LA, and Minnesota. Why can't things be different?

TheBigHurtST
10-06-2009, 09:09 PM
The Redbirds are my second favorite team behind our team. Hence, I'll be a temporary member of Cardinal Nation until the Cardinals are either eliminated or go all the way. Though, if the Dodgers eliminate the Cardinals, I'd probably root for L.A. so that Thome could get that ring.

Ditto.

GoGoCrede
10-06-2009, 09:10 PM
There will be lots of scapegoats for this one. Leyland, Cabrera, etc.

BleacherBandit
Really? It's truly sad to me that you're that bitter.

Yeah, I try not to be bitter about much. But I can't root for Manny Ramirez, who is a cheater. Same thing with David Ortiz, Alex Rodriguez, etc.

PicktoCLick72
MotownSports might blow up the internet

DSpivack
Go National League.

I hate having to root for the NL.

Agree 100% with this post.

Agreed. I have nothing against the Angels, so I'll be pulling for them in the AL, but Yankees, Red Sox, AND the ****ing Piranhas? :o::puking:

JermaineDye05
10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
MotownSports might blow up the internet

Or better yet, the Dome.

DSpivack
10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I try not to be bitter about much. But I can't root for Manny Ramirez, who is a cheater. Same thing with David Ortiz, Alex Rodriguez, etc.

Giambi is a Rockie.

BleacherBandit
10-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Agreed. I have nothing against the Angels, so I'll be pulling for them in the AL, but Yankees, Red Sox, AND the ****ing Piranhas? :o::puking:

I'm pulling for an Angels/Rockies World Series. Good for my interests, but not really for the rest of the countries outside of those cities.

Pilgrim
One of the things I never understood is the hatred towards Gomez excitement on the field after big wins. I have never really forgiven PK for the "celebration" in 2000 after clinching the division. For those who may not remember, With Sox magic number at 1, they were at the dome and Twin Matt Lawton hit a 2-out homer to win the game in 10th inning. A few minutes later 2nd place Cleveland also loses, and Sox clinch division after the loss. So PK, grabs a beer, circles the bases and slides into home. All of this after a loss on the road. Pretty classless act. And all in celebration of a division title.

I imagine if the Virgin Mary played for the Twins and did the same thing here she wouldnt make it out alive.

So lets just say that its easy for people to get caught up in the moment.

SOXSINCE'70
Fly,Phillies,Fly!!

BleacherBandit
Giambi is a Rockie.

He's in the minor leagues, isn't he?

Viva Medias B's
10-06-2009, 09:13 PM
One of the things I never understood is the hatred towards Gomez excitement on the field after big wins. I have never really forgiven PK for the "celebration" in 2000 after clinching the division. For those who may not remember, With Sox magic number at 1, they were at the dome and Twin Matt Lawton hit a 2-out homer to win the game in 10th inning. A few minutes later 2nd place Cleveland also loses, and Sox clinch division after the loss. So PK, grabs a beer, circles the bases and slides into home. All of this after a loss on the road. Pretty classless act. And all in celebration of a division title.

I imagine if the Virgin Mary played for the Twins and did the same thing here she wouldnt make it out alive.

So lets just say that its easy for people to get caught up in the moment.

Technically, Cleveland lost before the Sox game ended.

TheBigHurtST
10-06-2009, 09:13 PM
"**** YOU METRODOME!!! DIE DIE DIE, YOU PIECE OF ****!!!!!!!!"

Came across that on Motown and just died laughing.

GoGoCrede
10-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Duensing to start Game 1, per ESPN texts.

DumpJerry
10-06-2009, 09:15 PM
The only problem I have with the AL playoffs is that it's the same damn teams every year. Most years, we have New York, Boston, LA, and Minnesota. Why can't things be different?
:KW
Do I have to use facts to ruin your assumption?

BleacherBandit
10-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Do I have to use facts to ruin your assumption?

Yeah, but it's true that for most recent years it's been the Angels, Yankees, and Red Sox plus whoever wins the central.

Zisk77
10-06-2009, 09:18 PM
eerie how the theory that the tigers do everything the sox do but a year later and to lesser degree comes to fruition again.

2005 we win series 2006 tigers lose series

2006 we win 90 games
but fade and do not make playoffs 2007 tigers lead most of year but Twins catch them at end miss playoffs.

2007 we suck 2008 they suck
2008 we win game 163 2009 they lose game 163.:?:

SoxGirl4Life
10-06-2009, 09:20 PM
eerie how the theory that the tigers do everything the sox do but a year later and to lesser degree comes to fruition again.

2006 we win 90 games
but fade and do not make playoffs 2007 tigers lead most of year but Twins catch them at end miss playoffs.

Cleveland won the Central in 2007. Twins sucked that year.

twinsuck
10-06-2009, 09:21 PM

2006 we win 90 games

weird. lol

Frankfan4life
10-06-2009, 09:22 PM
There will be lots of scapegoats for this one. Leyland, Cabrera, etc.I would hate to be in the Tigers' locker room tonight.

Zisk77
10-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Cleveland won the Central in 2007. Twins sucked that year.

oops your right tribe not twins but still same principle.

southside rocks
10-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I am again amazed at the loathing I feel for the Twins. I don't even know why -- I really admire Ron Gardenhire as a manager. It must be the Dome. Maybe when they play in a real ballpark I'll only dislike them the way I do the Indians, etc.

Really feel bad for the Tigers, they blew quite a few chances but I would rather have seen them playing the Yankees than the Twins.

GoGoCrede
10-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I would hate to be in the Tigers' locker room tonight.

It must suck seeing their locker room all taped up for the champagne they'll never have.

Leyland must be getting burnt from being in the hot seat.

DSpivack
10-06-2009, 09:28 PM
He's in the minor leagues, isn't he?

Nope. He had something like 11 RBIs in 20 ABs with Colorado, or something crazy like that. Saw him hit a double in the bottom of the 9th vs the Cardinals a couple weeks ago, the pinch runner for him scored the go-ahead run.

Not sure if he's on the playoff roster, but I assume he is.

SOXSINCE'70
10-06-2009, 09:28 PM
It must suck seeing their locker room all taped up for the champagne they'll never have.

Leyland must be getting burnt from being in the hot seat.

Nothing a carton of Marlboro Reds won't cure.No teal needed.
Leyland smokes like a chimney.

Oblong
10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
:whiner:

Someone pointed out to me that this may have been the last Tiger game that Ernie Harwell sees.

I'm just... I don't know. It was a great game. I'm just stunned. The highs and lows of that game when it is your team involved... I'm glad I am only 35 and in relatively good shape. Those with bad tickers may have had issues. Luckily I was never at the point where I thought we'd win it so my heart wasn't racing too bad. But I'm still all jacked up. And I ran out of beer in the 8th inning but didn't want to make a beer run.

The thing is... Sunday would have been the first home game. The Lions play the Super Bowl Champ Steelers that day. My Tiger season ticket buddy also has Lions season tickets so we were all set to do a Lions/Tiger Playoff game double header, assuming the ball game was in the evening or at night. Wouldn't even have to drive to the other game, the stadiums are next door. When would a chance like that ever come up again?

All along I said the Tigers weren't choking it away. They played September/Oct like they have played all year. They were 17-15 That was what I predicted they'd finish. Since Sept. 13 the Twins went 16-4. The Tigers went 11-10. The Tigers were a slightly better than .500 team all year. They didn't go on many extended winning or losing streaks. Two 7 game winning streak, One 6 game winning streak, and one 5 game losing streak. Other than that, they were a .500 team.

Losing 3 of the last 4 at home when a win would hav clinched it looks bad, but there's also those games in April and May that you lose that nobody pays attention to. There's also the wins that the team probably shouldn't have won.

Call me a homer but the Twins won this more than the Tigers lost it. It's not like they tanked. To me a choker plays different at crunch time than they did during the rest of the season. I just don't think the Tigers did that. Yes getting swept by KC looks bad. But what about sweeping TB on the road? What about taking 2 of 3 at Anaheim? They were a slightly better than .500 team. The Twins took off. Who knows, maybe playing Morneau all those games until he finally sat made them worsea nd they might have run away with it earlier on.

But I'm just sorry that the Tigers couldn't have done baseball a favor and closed out the Metrodome in a manner it deserves. Now I'll finish my Labatt's.

BleacherBandit
10-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Nope. He had something like 11 RBIs in 20 ABs with Colorado, or something crazy like that. Saw him hit a double in the bottom of the 9th vs the Cardinals a couple weeks ago, the pinch runner for him scored the go-ahead run.

Not sure if he's on the playoff roster, but I assume he is.

This is what happens when Baseball fails and I have stringent conditions for which team gets my favor. I can't root for anybody. :rolleyes:

DSpivack
10-06-2009, 09:33 PM
This is what happens when Baseball fails and I have stringent conditions for which team gets my favor. I can't root for anybody. :rolleyes:

Contreras is in the Rockies' pen for the playoffs.

Viva Medias B's
10-06-2009, 09:36 PM

Someone pointed out to me that this may have been the last Tiger game that Ernie Harwell sees.

Knowing Ernie, though, he'd simply say about tonight: "That's baseball."

Oblong
10-06-2009, 09:37 PM

2006 we win 90 games

That has crossed my mind.

Buerhle's no hitter in 2006. Justin's no hitter. So I expect a perfect game next year from Verlander!!!

BleacherBandit
Contreras is in the Rockies' pen for the playoffs.

Yeah. I guess I can stand rooting for the team cheater Giambi plays for. I've met Jose, he's a nice guy. I'd like to root for Thome, too. But Manny Ramirez doesn't deserve another ring. He sullies any team he plays for.

Boondock Saint

I'm just... I don't know. It was a great game. I'm just stunned. The highs and lows of that game when it is your team involved... I'm glad I am only 35 and in relatively good shape. Those with bad tickers may have had issues. Luckily I was never at the point where I thought we'd win it so my heart wasn't racing too bad. But I'm still all jacked up. And I ran out of beer in the 8th inning but didn't want to make a beer run.

The thing is... Sunday would have been the first home game. The Lions play the Super Bowl Champ Steelers that day. My Tiger season ticket buddy also has Lions season tickets so we were all set to do a Lions/Tiger Playoff game double header, assuming the ball game was in the evening or at night. Wouldn't even have to drive to the other game, the stadiums are next door. When would a chance like that ever come up again?

All along I said the Tigers weren't choking it away. They played September/Oct like they have played all year. They were 17-15 That was what I predicted they'd finish. Since Sept. 13 the Twins went 16-4. The Tigers went 11-10. The Tigers were a slightly better than .500 team all year. They didn't go on many extended winning or losing streaks. Two 7 game winning streak, One 6 game winning streak, and one 5 game losing streak. Other than that, they were a .500 team.

Losing 3 of the last 4 at home when a win would hav clinched it looks bad, but there's also those games in April and May that you lose that nobody pays attention to. There's also the wins that the team probably shouldn't have won.

Call me a homer but the Twins won this more than the Tigers lost it. It's not like they tanked. To me a choker plays different at crunch time than they did during the rest of the season. I just don't think the Tigers did that. Yes getting swept by KC looks bad. But what about sweeping TB on the road? What about taking 2 of 3 at Anaheim? They were a slightly better than .500 team. The Twins took off. Who knows, maybe playing Morneau all those games until he finally sat made them worsea nd they might have run away with it earlier on.

But I'm just sorry that the Tigers couldn't have done baseball a favor and closed out the Metrodome in a manner it deserves. Now I'll finish my Labatt's.

We were cheering for you. Maybe now's the time for you make a full-on transition to being a Sox fan. ;)

Woofer
10-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I guess I had hoped that the Tigers would win, though they didn't deserve to. The Twins got hot at the end, and they got the job done. When they passed us from third a few weeks ago, they went on a tear.

The Tigers had many chances to win this game and couldn't get it done. I don't feel sorry for them. We knew all summer that they weren't going to hold on, and they didn't. We hoped somehow for our Sox to get a streak going, it never happened.

It really hurts me to say this, good luck to the Twins. I actually think that they might have a good series against the Yankees.

DSpivack
10-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah. I guess I can stand rooting for the team cheater Giambi plays for. I've met Jose, he's a nice guy. I'd like to root for Thome, too. But Manny Ramirez doesn't deserve another ring. He sullies any team he plays for.

Eh, I guess my like of Thome & Contreras outweighs my dislike of Ramirez and Giambi.

BleacherBandit
10-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Eh, I guess my like of Thome & Contreras outweighs my dislike of Ramirez and Giambi.

Whatever. This diversion of mine is getting old. What good is my support for, anyways?

DSpivack
10-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Whatever. This diversion of mine is getting old. What good is my support for, anyways?

Just for you to enjoy watching the playoffs, I guess.

GoGoCrede
10-06-2009, 09:46 PM
So did the Twins really play Journey? I mean, I know we don't own the song, but ouch.

WhiteSoxOnly
10-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I have to admit,those Twin ****ers and their damn stinkdome
are a king-sized pain in the ass.I didn't think i could possibly
hate a team more than the cubs...ok,i still don't, but these
bastards just wouldn't be denied.Morneau goes down and they
refuse to buckle.I wish this year's Sox team had some of that
stuff,whatever it is.They are going to get rolled by New York
but they made it this far...God,that hurt.

DSpivack
10-06-2009, 09:51 PM

2006 we win 90 games

Interesting. Also, they have Jim Leyland, Gene Lamont, & Dave Dombrowski, all formerly with the White Sox, as well as Maggs in RF.

Michstate45
10-06-2009, 09:52 PM
as a Tigers and Packer fan, let me just say that I really hate the state of Minnesota and the last two days have not helped my opinion of that dump dome

Rohan
10-06-2009, 09:55 PM
So did the Twins really play Journey? I mean, I know we don't own the song, but ouch.

Naw.. We DO own it. Crede was probably humming it in the locker room.

Dub25
10-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I didn't bother to read every post ahead of this one but all I can say is screw the Twins. In the past, I actually hated the Tigers and Indians before the Twins. This year that changed. Everyone thinks they are great because they do everything right. Well, that only takes you so far because just like in the past the better playoff team will hammer them. They only win divisions when the better team on paper underachieves. Examples being, the 02-04 Sox. In 04 you can argue the Thomas and Mags injuries killed them. 06 Sox underachieved and this year the Tigers underachieved. Screw the Twins and the garage they play in called the Metrodome. In 2010 when they play outside, they will have red circles around both eyes like the Target Dog mascot from being beat by everyone. They were built for that dump.

Lip Man 1
10-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Dub:

I think you'll be surprised. Defense, speed and being able to execute fundamentals when you need to never go into slump and don't concern themselves if you're indoors or outside.

Lip

oeo
10-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Dub:

I think you'll be surprised. Defense, speed and being able to execute fundamentals when you need to never go into slump and don't concern themselves if you're indoors or outside.

Lip

If they're outside tonight, the game-tying single to make it 5-5 is a double play to end the game. Hell, the game-winning single probably doesn't get out of the infield on natural grass.

The Twins have a lot of advantages playing in that place, even more so than the other two teams who play on turf. It's not just the turf, it's the roof, it's the batter's eye, the air conditioning, the baggies, and on and on.

voodoochile
10-06-2009, 11:00 PM
That was one heck of a baseball game. I didn't really care who won, so I was able to simply enjoy it for what it was, a great game for fans of the sport.

Dub25
10-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Dub:

Lip

You might be right but considering the Twins are 3-23 vs. the Yanks under Gardie and everytime time they go to the playoffs they get bounced except for the one year against the A's... they are usually a waste of viewing time in post-season play.

slavko
10-06-2009, 11:29 PM
If they're outside tonight, the game-tying single to make it 5-5 is a double play to end the game. Hell, the game-winning single probably doesn't get out of the infield on natural grass.

The Twins have a lot of advantages playing in that place, even more so than the other two teams who play on turf. It's not just the turf, it's the roof, it's the batter's eye, the air conditioning, the baggies, and on and on.

Or if the infield isn't playing in it's a fast 2. So many turning points in this one my head is spinning. This was a classic for the ages and to a national audience for the only game of the night. Two handsful of make or break plays. This is why no game can match baseball. Only a little fly in the ointment:the huge effect a home plate umpire has on it, and this guy had some baffling ball/strike calls that were pivotal...but they evened out. The hit batter that was and the hit batter that wasn't. It goes on and on.

Prediction:Twins/Yanks more likely to go 5 than 3 games.

Joliet_Sox
10-06-2009, 11:50 PM
CC and the Yankees will win 15-0 tomorrow. We'll see how much magic they have left to pull out of their arses after tomorrow's throttling. Good game, glad it was us that made it possible. Way I figure, we played spoiler and they're closing that abomination that is the Metrodump..... we're even.

DirtySox
10-06-2009, 11:51 PM
That was one heck of a baseball game. I didn't really care who won, so I was able to simply enjoy it for what it was, a great game for fans of the sport.

Wow. So you don't feel the need to make a scathing post about your absolute seething hatred for the winning/losing team?

I like the cut of your jib sir.

FloridaTigers
10-06-2009, 11:54 PM
From a Tigers fan perspective, I'm pissed. More so at the Tigers than the Twins. The Tigers blew it, they choked. I don't care what anyone says. They blew a 7 game lead, they blew a one run lead in the 9th. They did it all. Its amazing. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. I'm really bitter right now. This is the worst loss I've suffered as a fan. It wasn't a "great game" for me, because the Tigers **** the bed. If it were two teams I didn't care about, yeah great game. But this was just such a bad loss. I don't feel like driving up to Tampa Bay to watch them play next season. I don't feel like going to Spring training this year. I'm really feeling out of it.

Mod Edit: I highlighted your language violation. See you in 3 days.

Edit II: I lifted the ban and put the word that was the problem into the filtering software.

voodoochile
10-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Wow. So you don't feel the need to make a scathing post about your absolute seething hatred for the winning/losing team?

I like the cut of your jib sir.

Don't kid yourself, I don't like any divisional rival and I have a special loathing for both cities with their rivalries against all the Chicago sports teams. Detroit in particular because of the Pistons and even Wings though I don't really follow hockey. Meanwhile the Wolves are in the West and the Stars are now in Dallas, but it's not Green Bay or tsun so there's no extra animosity and thus I don't really care. Once the Sox are done, everything else is secondary.

Go Dodgers...:D:

guillensdisciple
10-07-2009, 12:24 AM
If the Twins take one game from the Yankees, they will have accomplished way more than I thought they would.

jmeneghini1433
10-07-2009, 12:36 AM
The Tigers gift wrApped this one.

TommyJohn
10-07-2009, 08:09 AM

*ESPN Flunky* How can you say THAT? It didn't involve the Red Sox or Yankees, just two teams from flyover country-Minnegan and Michisota. We are busy hyping the Red Sox-Yankees ALCS. So, to the ashheap with this one.

SOXPHILE
10-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Pure entertainment standpoint, that was a good game. From a baseball standpoint, it was absolute CRAP. Two mediocre teams from a bad division battling it out to see who sucks less. Congrats to the Tigers for blowing the division. Congrats to the mediocre Twins on taking advantage of the Tigers sucking, and extending your season by 3 more games. Next time you see that dome, you'll be down 0-2 to the Yankees.

At least Cabrera has more leisure time to go drinking at the Townsend Hotel......

spawn
10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
It was a good game, but also a microcosm of the AL Central. It seemed like no one wanted to win. The Tigers blew a three run lead, just as they blew a three game lead. They then blow the lead in extra innings. They also took a page out of the Sox playbook and blew chances to score with men at third and less than 2 outs. Congrats to the Tiwns. I guess they earned it. :shrug:

ma-gaga
10-07-2009, 10:03 AM
they even had a magic number counter on that forum. Mercy

Reading through that thread (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-tigers/75349-magic-number-countdown.html), I almost felt bad.

Man. What a ****ing game. Unreal. Unbelievable.

Just as i thought, the Win Probability Chart (http://www.fangraphs.com/wins.aspx?date=2009-10-06&team=Twins&dh=0&season=2009) is fantastic:

http://www.fangraphs.com/tgraphs/20091006_Tigers_Twins_0.png

It really says it all.

Thank you Chicago for giving the Twins a chance!

:gulp: Bring on the Yankees!!!

Hitmen77
10-07-2009, 10:10 AM

16-4 after Morneau goes on the DL. :o: Incredible. How did they do it? After Mauer, I don't find their lineup particularly remarkable. Of course the Sox did their share by letting the Twins sweep them away at the Cell.:angry:

The Tigers had been in first place since May 10. Ouch. I just hope the Twins settle back down to earth next year because, at this early stage, I'm more concerned about them as our competition than Detroit..

cleanwsox
10-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Well, except the choking Tigers, the Twins haven't played a team over .500 in over a month. I'll give it to them that they beat the teams they needed to beat, but we all saw how bad they got their butt kicked by good teams this year. I expect another 1st round exit for the Twins in a boring series.

spawn
10-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Well, except the choking Tigers, the Twins haven't played a team over .500 in over a month. I'll give it to them that they beat the teams they needed to beat, but we all saw how bad they got their butt kicked by good teams this year. I expect another 1st round exit for the Twins in a boring series.
Yeah, they beat up on the teams in the Central. And that was right after losing 2 of 3 to Oakland.

Chez
10-07-2009, 10:28 AM
It's a myth that the Twins have no talent outside of Morneau and Mauer. Sure they have Punto and Tolbert in the line up, but Kubel and Cuddyer would definitely start for the Sox and Orlando Cabrera and Delmon Young might too. They have good, young talent.

tstrike2000
10-07-2009, 10:49 AM
It was a good game, but also a microcosm of the AL Central. It seemed like no one wanted to win. The Tigers blew a three run lead, just as they blew a three game lead. They then blow the lead in extra innings. They also took a page out of the Sox playbook and blew chances to score with men at third and less than 2 outs. Congrats to the Twins. I guess they earned it. :shrug:

True, I guess they did, too. The Tigers, much like 06, had ample opportunities to win this division, not only in the last week, but in game 163. RISP with less than two outs and fail to execute which included Gerald Laird striking out on ball 4 with the bases loaded. Besides that, I think Miner throwing a hanging piece of crap to Cabrera was an absolute killer.

jdm2662
10-07-2009, 03:30 PM

There was a reason why they whinned and moaned about having to play game 163 in Chicago. Playing pin ball baseball doesn't work in a real stadium. This was especially the case last year when they didn't hit for power at all. In short, they simply couldn't play real baseball. In my book, they can go **** themselves and their dome, too. Too bad I still have to watch the Bears play there. It's even more annoying for football with that stupid horn. Awoooooooo!!!!!

They do have a more slugging team this year than they have in the past. However, as we saw yesterday, it came down to the same pinball actions. The game tying single would've def been a double play in a real stadium.

In the end, they will get bombed by the Yankees. One reason is well, the Yankees always kick their ass. And two, their starting pitching really hasn't been great this year.

jdm2662
10-07-2009, 03:32 PM
It's a myth that the Twins have no talent outside of Morneau and Mauer. Sure they have Punto and Tolbert in the line up, but Kubel and Cuddyer would definitely start for the Sox and Orlando Cabrera and Delmon Young might too. They have good, young talent.

While I certainly they have quality players in their lineup, the bottom of the order is still pure ****. If it weren't for the pinball action, they wouldn't even be in the league. They are certainly a more slugging team in the past, but it doesn't mean they still don't use the dome to their advantage.

Madscout
10-07-2009, 03:52 PM
It will be interesting, very interesting, to see what the Twins do next year. Last nights game would have been over in the 9th or 10th in any other park with the Tigers the victors. (I'm thinking of that ground ball right up the middle that was misplayed by Detroit's 2B at the time, which would have been an inning ending double play).

Watch it not matter and see them be as lucky as they ever are.:angry: