PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie turns down post season analyst gig

JermaineDye05
10-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Just heard this on the score.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1808368,CST-SPT-sox06.article)

Ozzie doesn't want to have to watch baseball if his team isn't involved, can't say that I argue with his reasoning.

soltrain21
10-06-2009, 02:52 PM
How would a viewer feel who NEVER hears Ozzie talk? They'd have no idea what point he was trying to make. I'm surprised they even offered him the gig.

southside rocks
10-06-2009, 02:55 PM
AJ's doing post-season commentary for XM radio; I heard him on one of the shows this morning, talking about this afternoon's Twins-Tigers game. One of the program hosts said he's sure that AJ will end up on the broadcasting side of the mike after his playing days are over. He's fun to listen to.

oeo
10-06-2009, 06:23 PM
AJ's doing post-season commentary for XM radio; I heard him on one of the shows this morning, talking about this afternoon's Twins-Tigers game. One of the program hosts said he's sure that AJ will end up on the broadcasting side of the mike after his playing days are over. He's fun to listen to.

Maybe, if he doesn't get into coaching.

Noneck
10-06-2009, 06:41 PM

Or as a manager, in the squared circle.

Brian26
10-06-2009, 07:18 PM

I just don't see any attributes in AJ that would make him a successful coach.

Daver
10-06-2009, 07:53 PM

I see a lot.

oeo
10-06-2009, 08:12 PM

Most catchers have the 'attributes' to be a successful coach. AJ brings even more. If he could get his players to buy into him and his style of play, he would be a very successful manager.

ilsox7
10-06-2009, 08:14 PM
I see a lot.

Agreed. I think he is one of the most likely players currently in MLB to wind up managing, if he so desires.

WhiteSox5187
10-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I see a lot.

He's an incredibly bright player but the one thing that might stop him from being a coach is that he has so many little neurosis that he might drive himself nuts. Plus, I think he might enjoy being a broadcaster more than being a coach.

russ99
10-06-2009, 08:58 PM
He's an incredibly bright player but the one thing that might stop him from being a coach is that he has so many little neurosis that he might drive himself nuts. Plus, I think he might enjoy being a broadcaster more than being a coach.

And the dude would do anything to win. He could be a heck of a manager, if his players don't tune him out.

He'd certainly be from the Ozzie/Billy Martin mold.

Dub25
10-06-2009, 10:17 PM

Do you mean a baseball coaching spot or a Florida Gator coaching spot?

LoveYourSuit
10-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Just heard this on the score.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1808368,CST-SPT-sox06.article)

Ozzie doesn't want to have to watch baseball if his team isn't involved, can't say that I argue with his reasoning.

Maybe Ozzie should be watching all the good things playoff baseball teams do which his team is not capable of doing: situational hitting, picking up the baseball, etc.

doublem23
10-07-2009, 01:49 PM
At least now he can watch some football like an *******.

Domeshot17
10-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't know the back story but if what you hear about AJ is true (unwilling to work with Flowers etc. ) I would have to say that doesn't SCREAM future manager.

oeo
10-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't know the back story but if what you hear about AJ is true (unwilling to work with Flowers etc. ) I would have to say that doesn't SCREAM future manager.

I missed this...

In fact, I remember Flowers talking highly about AJ helping him in Spring Training.

soxinem1
10-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I wonder if the censors would be able to grab OzzieSpeak in time, considering you barely know what he is saying when he is not swearing.

As far as AJ managing, maybe. But will he be able to get EVERY teams fans to stop booing him as a manager?

Domeshot17
10-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I missed this...

In fact, I remember Flowers talking highly about AJ helping him in Spring Training.

Lip (I think) Mentioned something that there was end of the year controversy that AJ wasn't willing to work with Flowers. But like I said, I know nothing outside a comment on the message board

Edit here is the qoute the 2 articles thread

FYI. Just heard back from a mainstream media source who added some credibility to the doctor's previous comments.

Basically they said that Carlos was thick in the legs in spring training and from a personal standpoint talked about the problems their feet give them, so much so that they had to stop running because of it. They thought it was possible he was out of shape and that caused the issues.

Also said the team chemistry was terrible this year. Veterans got on Getz for saying the youngsters brought energy to the team, that A.J. didn't really work or help with Flowers and that the idea of leadership being provided by Beckham and A.J. was just "eyewash" (direct quote). Asked when was the last time you saw veterans collapse and fail to provide down the stretch like what happened this year, said it wasn't the kids fault and the vets should be ashamed.

Lip

ewokpelts
10-08-2009, 01:49 PM
AJ's doing post-season commentary for XM radio; I heard him on one of the shows this morning, talking about this afternoon's Twins-Tigers game. One of the program hosts said he's sure that AJ will end up on the broadcasting side of the mike after his playing days are over. He's fun to listen to.maybe aj will be the next hawk.

Carolina Kenny
10-08-2009, 03:10 PM

I hope succeeds The Hawk as broadcaster for the Sox.

Procol Harum
10-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I liked Ozzie as a player and like him as a manager--and I enjoy hearing his rants and soundbites. But on a 9-inning broadcast?!?! Boy, that's why God invented the "mute" button! :cool: