PDA

View Full Version : Sox pick up Thornton's Option

jabrch
10-06-2009, 01:20 PM
2.25mm

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=326831

This surprises nobody. Almost isn't worthy of a thread.

khan
10-06-2009, 01:23 PM
No, it's good to have a sense of what the salaries will be for next season, so that the informed fan can have an idea as to why KW will do what he'll do this offseason.

When a fan favorite like Konerko or Jenks or fill-in-the-blank is moved, we don't want to behave like the imbeciles on the other side of town did with Derosa(sp?).

[EDIT] If I had the free time, I think it would be a good idea to have a thread stuck that gives us an up-to-the-minute update on salaries added/subtracted as we progress to ST 2010. I'd do it myself, but the numbers would all be inaccurate, due to my lack of free time to take on such a project...

Noneck
10-06-2009, 01:30 PM
A No Brainer.

asindc
10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Well earned, and a good move.

DumpJerry
10-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Garcia and Thornton: very easy choices for the Sox to make.

The big one: Dye.

sox1970
10-06-2009, 02:54 PM

Well, it's an easy decision to decline the option. Whether to re-sign him is another question.

Gammons Peter
10-06-2009, 02:56 PM
I didnt know he was 33

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-06-2009, 03:04 PM

I would think Dye's should be a no-brainer too. No reason to keep him here.

Lip Man 1
10-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Expected... and he'll be around next season too unless something unexpected happens since I think the team option is for three million in 2011.

Lip

GlassSox
10-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Good news.

Daver
10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
No, it's good to have a sense of what the salaries will be for next season, so that the informed fan can have an idea as to why KW will do what he'll do this offseason.

So Kenny Williams shares hi budget information with you?

russ99
10-06-2009, 09:02 PM

When a fan favorite like Konerko or Jenks or fill-in-the-blank is moved, we don't want to behave like the imbeciles on the other side of town did with Derosa(sp?).

[EDIT] If I had the free time, I think it would be a good idea to have a thread stuck that gives us an up-to-the-minute update on salaries added/subtracted as we progress to ST 2010. I'd do it myself, but the numbers would all be inaccurate, due to my lack of free time to take on such a project...

Here's (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2363803&postcount=46)what I did earlier this week. If you want to update it, go for it.

I got the numbers from a few sources, most of which came from Cot's Baseball Contracts.

ode to veeck
10-06-2009, 10:57 PM
most dependable arm in the pen much of the year, a no brainer

soxfanreggie
10-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Easy as pie decision. Hopefully after next season, we take a look at re-working his deal to keep him here past 2011.

Waysouthsider
10-06-2009, 11:21 PM
MT is a real bargain....no brainer.

TheVulture
10-07-2009, 08:02 PM
For all the grief Damaso Marte got around here for allowing inherited runners to score, I wonder why Thornton gets a free pass. He allows runners to score at a rate that would make Marte blush and cross. None-the-less, at the rate of pay set up men having been garnering recently, not a bad move.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2009, 08:27 PM
They were talking about this on Chicago Tribune Live! today, wondering as hard as Thornton throws, how does he get hit so much?

Kaplan was wondering if his fastball is simply straight and hitters eventually catch up with it. He thinks Jenks will get dealt and Thornton will move into the closer role regardless.

Lip

DirtySox
10-07-2009, 09:09 PM
They were talking about this on Chicago Tribune Live! today, wondering as hard as Thornton throws, how does he get hit so much?

Kaplan was wondering if his fastball is simply straight and hitters eventually catch up with it. He thinks Jenks will get dealt and Thornton will move into the closer role regardless.

Lip

He doesn't get hit all that much. And he isn't untouchable because his only other pitch is a below average slider.

doublem23
10-07-2009, 09:26 PM

Lip

:rolling:

No **** Kaplan wouldn't do his homework.

1.078 WHIP would be #2 in the A.L. and 7.2 H/9 IP would be #1 in the A.L. if he pitched enough innings to qualify.

Madscout
10-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Good. The guy has been solid the past several years with us.

DSpivack
10-08-2009, 01:38 AM
:rolling:

No **** Kaplan wouldn't do his homework.

1.078 WHIP would be #2 in the A.L. and 7.2 H/9 IP would be #1 in the A.L. if he pitched enough innings to qualify.

I've never watched that show, mostly because Kaplan is a ****ing imbecile.

WhiteSox4Lyfe
10-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Good, Hopefully Matt becomes the new closer.....

tacosalbarojas
10-15-2009, 12:28 PM
I've never watched that show, mostly because Kaplan is a ****ing imbecile.
If the Sox disbanded tomorrow, Kaplan would be hosting the party.

Waysouthsider
10-15-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not a Kaplan fan, but I do think that Thornton could use some other pitches...He also struggles a bit with men on base...

However, if you look at Thornton's numbers he's a lot like Francisco Cordero and Jeff Nelson...Cordero has been a pretty serious closer....but, he has more pitches as well.

I'd rather see Jenks get in shape and deal with whatever off-field issues he's having and keep MT as a set up guy....

UChicagoHP
10-17-2009, 11:17 AM
It seems like every team in the league wants to deal their closer before they get the big pay-day. Hopefully a desperate team wants to over-pay for a position that really shouldn't be over-paid for(unless the guy in that position is named Mariano or Trevor)...maybe the Cubbies want/need Jenks?

In an ideal world, Jenks realizes that the market for closer is changing for all but 2 or 3 teams that have too much cash to throw around, and accepts 6 million or so per year, probably too much to ask though...

Re: Thornton...good, the guy has elite "stuff" and his stats reflect that. Hopefully he can give the club 5 more seasons of that...