PDA

View Full Version : Should the White Sox Continue to Have an Organist for 2011 and Beyond?

Hitmen77
10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Since Nancy is leaving after 2010 and there's been talk for years about whether fans really want to hear organ music anymore, I'd like to know what WSI posters think the team should do after Nancy leaves.

tacosalbarojas
10-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Since Nancy is leaving after 2010 and there's been talk for years about whether fans really want to hear organ music anymore, I'd like to know what WSI posters think the team should do after Nancy leaves.
Clone her.

skobabe8
10-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Can her kids play?

kufram
10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Living in England I don't go to many games in person, but the games I have gone to in the past I found all the hoopla going on between batters and even pitches off-putting. Never mind the circus between innings. I think there is a misconception that people need to have every split second of their time filled with something to fill their senses. Personally, a little time to think isn't a bad thing.

Noneck
10-06-2009, 02:59 PM
I will go with the All Organ, All The Time, choice.

MARTINMVP
10-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Enough of the other garbage. I can tolerate some of it, but I hate the cues telling me when to cheer.

spawn
10-06-2009, 03:56 PM
If the Cubs and Red Sox can continue to have man-operated scoreboards, I don't see why the Cell can't have an organist.

The Milkman
10-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Either yes.....or, "EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS!!!" 50 times a game--every game.

sox1970
10-06-2009, 04:01 PM

God, I hate that.

gobears1987
10-06-2009, 04:02 PM
The only songs that should be piped in are the intro songs and the at-bat music. Everything else should be organ only. Although, I wouldn't mind "Your Love" on the organ.

munchman33
10-06-2009, 04:27 PM
I vote we have a house band. Or maybe a different local band every game. Throw them on the centerfield concourse somewhere and let them play a song between innings.

Bruizer
10-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I love how she ties her music to whoever is batting. Sometimes it's very loosely, (for example, the last game against KC she played "Eight Days a Week" when Bloomquist, who happens to be No. 8, was up for KC), but it's still a lot of fun to try and find the connection. I hope the new organist can do that also. :cool:

She also played "16 going on 17", when Jacobs followed Butler in the line-up, but usually it's tied into their name. She's very clever.

Bru

downstairs
10-06-2009, 04:35 PM
I vote we have a house band. Or maybe a different local band every game. Throw them on the centerfield concourse somewhere and let them play a song between innings.

House band would be lame- but the local band idea is great. Wonder if any other team has tried this?

skobabe8
10-06-2009, 06:33 PM
I've heard alot of reasons for pro-organ, but what about the anti-organ people? I'm not trying to start any fights, but I am just curious of your opinions about why maybe people don't like the organ at all. Is it too old fashioned? Does canned music pump you up?

munchman33
10-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I've heard alot of reasons for pro-organ, but what about the anti-organ people? I'm not trying to start any fights, but I am just curious of your opinions about why maybe people don't like the organ at all. Is it too old fashioned? Does canned music pump you up?

I hate organ music. I find it ugly and viral. And a lot of it reminds me of church, which I don't want to be reminded of when watching a baseball game. When it's gone, it'll go a long way in attracting younger and larger crowds to the ballpark. I know people who don't go to day games because they can't stand the organ. No offense to Nancy, who is a tremendous musician and an icon, but it's a niche thing very few people nowadays have the ears to appreciate.

But I'm unpopular here for a lot of other reasons, so my speaking out probably isn't surprising anyone. Anybody else looking forward to this?

Canned pop doesn't do it for me either though.

CWS44
10-06-2009, 09:21 PM
I like both. I understand the organ music along with the clever song selection is probably going to be a thing of the past, but I have enjoyed it. Some of the DJ music fun, but some is just too much and too loud. I cringe when they play EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS, and also when the fan-o-meter comes up, or most things designed to solicit a reaction. I find it embarrassing. There should be balance between trying to please the young fans as well as the middle aged and older fans, after all, we all pay $$.

october23sp
10-06-2009, 10:43 PM
I only got one day game this year, loved the Organ music. The day of or after Michael Jacksons funeral. Nancy played "Man in the Mirror".... It was awesome. If they don't get another Organist, play recorded Nancy stuff.

ssirish317
10-06-2009, 10:44 PM
I hope Brooks sees this poll.

BleacherBandit
10-06-2009, 10:49 PM

1. It's more like, "EVY-BOHDY CLAP YO' HANDS".
2. Hell yes

:tongue:

Rohan
10-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Can her kids play?

Unfortunately not... Eric, her only son, does not play piano or organ. I'll be seeing the whole family on Saturday for my sisters wedding. I'm not even sure how to thank her for all she's done :?:

BleacherBandit
10-06-2009, 10:52 PM
What I'll really miss is her musical puns for the opposing players.

For example, she'd play the theme from Cheers when Erick Aybar would come up to bat. Or Uptown Girl when B.J. Upton did. Hillarious.

Woofer
10-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I've missed Nancy since I only go to a few day games every year. I really like hearing the organ, I guess because Nancy really is one of the few ties to White Sox baseball as it was during my childhood. You younger people who have grown up in the new park probably do not realize that at some points, you went to Sox park because of Nancy Faust or Harry Caray. God knows the game on the field was sometimes less entertaining.

Nancys music represents the team as I remember it when I was a kid. Going to the games will be different without Nancy or organ music. I will miss it if is not there. I hope that they can find somebody to fill Nancys shoes.

Dub25
10-06-2009, 11:12 PM
I hate organ music. I find it ugly and viral. And a lot of it reminds me of church, which I don't want to be reminded of when watching a baseball game. When it's gone, it'll go a long way in attracting younger and larger crowds to the ballpark. I know people who don't go to day games because they can't stand the organ. No offense to Nancy, who is a tremendous musician and an icon, but it's a niche thing very few people nowadays have the ears to appreciate.

But I'm unpopular here for a lot of other reasons, so my speaking out probably isn't surprising anyone. Anybody else looking forward to this?

Canned pop doesn't do it for me either though.

Seeing how going to a baseball game is like going to church for me... sorry, don't mean to upset regular chirch going folks... I love hearing Nancy on the organ while smelling the grilled onions waiting to be put on a Brat, Polish or dog when entering the beautiful ball yard known as the Cell.

Dibbs
10-06-2009, 11:24 PM
It would be nice, but I am going to be honest, all of this Nancy talk is way overblown. It's an organ people. I go to the park to watch baseball.

Dub25
10-06-2009, 11:28 PM
It would be nice, but I am going to be honest, all of this Nancy talk is way overblown. It's an organ people. I go to the park to watch baseball.

Boooooooooo... to you. Were the same age. Show some respect for a legend. :gulp:

milrtyme28
10-07-2009, 12:33 AM
I too will miss Nancy, as she has been part of the experience for as long as I can remember. With that said, some of the mew electronic stuff is pretty cool and the team running all of that has to get some credit too.

I wish they would go forward with some sort of mix of old and new, even if it meant sampling or recording some of the Nancy stuff.

Lastly - PLEASE get rid of the "get loud" fan direction crap. We know when to get loud. We will do it if it is warranted.

So embarrassing when I have clients in from out of town or people as guests that aren't used to the Cell. "Why are they asking you to cheer? Shouldnt you just cheer?"

soxfan22
10-07-2009, 03:53 AM
Pride, Passion, Tradition

I think that answers the opening post to this thread.

tebman
10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
I too will miss Nancy, as she has been part of the experience for as long as I can remember. With that said, some of the mew electronic stuff is pretty cool and the team running all of that has to get some credit too.

I wish they would go forward with some sort of mix of old and new, even if it meant sampling or recording some of the Nancy stuff.

Lastly - PLEASE get rid of the "get loud" fan direction crap. We know when to get loud. We will do it if it is warranted.

So embarrassing when I have clients in from out of town or people as guests that aren't used to the Cell. "Why are they asking you to cheer? Shouldnt you just cheer?"

All true. Those of us who've appreciated Nancy's work for years are sad that she'll be retiring, but we knew this was coming eventually. She's irreplaceable because her work is more than just organ music, it's the clever way she incorporates song titles and themes to the player or situation. It's the same experience as sharing a knowing laugh with somebody in a nearby seat when something happens on the field. Nancy's organ becomes another fan you're sharing a laugh with.

I never understood why it's an either/or thing. Tastes and technology move on, and there are many other ways to augment the game experience, videos and pre-recorded music being just a couple of them. Having a live musician there to react to what's happening on the field is an important part of that.

The reason it's been an organ instead of something else was practicality: in the 1960s what other musical instrument could be reliably piped through the sound system? The Sox hired Nancy in 1970 to replace the previous guy when the organ was a ballpark afterthought. She made it into a part of the Sox-game experience with her quick wit and musical memory.

Maybe a house band would work, or another organist, or a bassoon player. It doesn't much matter as long as it's a live musician who has the sense of humor and ability to react quickly to the game with recognizable tunes and riffs. That's become part of the White Sox Tradition that is being sold in the ad campaign and we'll miss it when it's gone.

Hitmen77
10-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I will go with the All Organ, All The Time, choice.

While I would personally love that, I didn't put that down as an option because I figure that's just not going to happen. I wouldn't mind if the Sox had "all organ" days once a year or so just like "Nothing But Nancy Day" a few years ago, but realistically the days of only organ music is over.

LOL! Ain't that the truth! Yeah, I know they don't really play that 50 times a game. But it does tell you something when it feels like they play it that many times.

GoSox2K3
10-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I hope Brooks sees this poll.

They'll just say that we don't represent the core fanbase while the 3% who want organ music to be eliminated need to be heard and catered to.

Moses_Scurry
10-08-2009, 12:04 PM
As long as they don't bring that dope back that was fired for playing Whitesnake while Chuck Finley was warming up.

Actually, I thought that was pretty funny, but I can be pretty low class sometimes!

mrfourni
10-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I know people who don't go to day games because they can't stand the organ.

I know you're being called out repeatedly in the other thread, but this statement, even if true, might be the most outrageous.

Noneck
10-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I know you're being called out repeatedly in the other thread, but this statement, even if true, might be the most outrageous.

Remember there are also some people that like cold rainy days.

Waysouthsider
10-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I was sad when she only played the day games.....its going to be a major drag without her all the time.....Its not the organ as much as the fact that she's so damned smart in how she uses the music to complement the game...She ADDS a lot to the game, in my opinion...we're always listening to her to figure out what she's doing with her selections and the connections to the players. Maybe its 'cause I'm a musician, but I really appreciate her. I don't think the issue here is Organ or No Organ...its what's life like without Nancy as part of the equation. Nancy vs. No Nancy.....I'm sad....:whiner:

I detest "everybody clap your hands...." so lame....

soxfan22
10-08-2009, 01:55 PM
As long as they don't bring that dope back that was fired for playing Whitesnake while Chuck Finley was warming up.

Actually, I thought that was pretty funny, but I can be pretty low class sometimes!

What's the story with this? :scratch:

twinsuck
10-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I honestly never liked the organ so I don't care.

Moses_Scurry
10-08-2009, 03:05 PM
What's the story with this? :scratch:

I can't remember the exact year, but it was after 2000. Maybe 2002. The Sox were playing the Indians with Chuck Finley on the mound only a couple days after a drunk Tawny Kitaen attacked him with her shoe. The DJ played "Here I go Again" over the speakers while Finley was warming up. That's the video with Tawny Kitaen dancing on the hood of David Coverdale's car. The Indians complained, and the DJ was fired. I heard an interview with him on Mike North's show the next day. He came across as a pretty big douche (the DJ, not North).

TDog
10-08-2009, 04:00 PM
The White Sox should have an organist. What repaces the organist when Nancy Faust is not around is so hard on the ears. But the lazy, uncreative player intro music that holds more appeal to people with shorter attention spans (although baseball is a game that requires a longer attention span) is considerably less expensive.

The White Sox should have an organist after Nancy Faust leaves. But they won't.

Frankfan4life
10-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Either yes.....or, "EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS!!!" 50 times a game--every game.Ugh! No, help, save me!! Without the organ music, we'll be like every other ballpark.

I swear when I hear the same canned cheers and prompts when I'm visiting other ballparks, I unconsciously start to chime in before I realize that I'm cheering for the opposition and not the Sox. I can only wonder how sick and tired the players must be of hearing the same music wherever they go, with the exception of the few ballparks that still have live organ music.

I would rather not have any music at all than have to be assaulted repeatedly with "Charge," "'Day-O" (the Harry Belafonte song which, for the life of me, I cant relate in any way shape or form to baseball) and the other moronic prompts and tunes that are not unique to the White Sox.

I'm an old-timer so the sound of organ music is as much a part of baseball to me as the crack of the bat, the food vendors hawking their wares, and the roar of the crowd.

munchman33
10-09-2009, 10:02 AM

Why? Because it doesn't bother you?

Think about the people clamoring for the organ. Would they if it wasn't so damn prevalent? Now imagine if you HATED the organ. It would drive you pretty ****ing nuts, wouldn't it?

Rocky Soprano
10-09-2009, 10:16 AM

Think about the people clamoring for the organ. Would they if it wasn't so damn prevalent? Now imagine if you HATED the organ. It would drive you pretty ****ing nuts, wouldn't it?

That's just it, the number of fans that enjoy the orgran greatly outnumber those that do not. So the Sox should listen to the majority. Life is not fair, deal with it.

munchman33
10-09-2009, 10:20 AM
That's just it, the number of fans that enjoy the orgran greatly outnumber those that do not. So the Sox should listen to the majority. Life is not fair, deal with it.

I seriously doubt that's true. There's a reason the Sox have been trying to push Nancy out the door for years. It isn't because the bulk of fans love organ music.

mrfourni
10-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Is the organ really all that prevalent during day games? Nancy doesn't play between innings anymore, and she doesn't play during the bottom half of innings or for White Sox player introductions. The volume on the organ is considerably lower than the canned music they pipe in, so she is also pretty easy to tune out if you really wanted to. It seems that most people clamoring for the organ are saying they don't hear enough of it.

I find it almost impossible to believe that organ music is what is keeping anyone from going to Sox games.

Rocky Soprano
10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I seriously doubt that's true. There's a reason the Sox have been trying to push Nancy out the door for years. It isn't because the bulk of fans love organ music.

Do you have proof that the Sox have been trying to push Nancy out of the door?

We all know that the Sox visit this site to see what the "Core" fans are thinking and what does our poll say?

rwcescato
10-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Its Nancy or nothing. Its 40 plus years. It would not be the same with someone else.

Warriorjan
10-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Most of us hate having the loud canned music playing all the time, and yet we still go to games, so I find it hard to believe that there are a lot of people not going to day games because there is occasional organ music.
I want a statue for Nancy.

Soxfest
10-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I love the organ music it is part of White Sox tradition keep it!

SOXSINCE'70
10-10-2009, 02:20 PM
It adds to the whole Comiskey experience.

The organ stays!!

Lundind1
10-12-2009, 11:45 PM
I would enjoy a few games a year where there is nothing inbetween innings and not much noise. Make it an old time baseball experience.

Lundind1
10-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Oops. I was also going to say that the organ MUST stay. Send a shout out to Frank Pelico....I'm sure he would do it.