PDA

View Full Version : This really is the best online baseball community

MARTINMVP
10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys (and gals) for making this a fun summer. My conversion process to the White Sox and just hanging out on this board and chatting it up with everyone really made this a memorable season for me, despite how un-fun the actual baseball play was on both sides of town. I frequently visit the other baseball team forums and aside from a select few, most of them are pretty dull and lack well-rounded discussions. For example, the activity on some of those other boards are absolutely dead today, where as this one is still hoppin' and jivin' with fans talking about next year. And the fans here actually talk about the other 28 teams and such... the "general baseball" discussion area of some of the other sites is dead.

This site absolutely rules. I hope to put in for an official membership soon.

goofymsfan
10-05-2009, 11:50 PM
I've been a member of this site since 2005 when my favorite player became a White Sox player. Even though I am a Mariner Fan I have never been treated with anything other than respect. Even after my player moved on I still kept coming here. Granted he came back to the Sox this year but who knows where he will end up next. No matter what happens, I feel I have a place I can talk baseball without the childishness/hatefulness found on other baseball sites.

soxinem1
10-06-2009, 12:06 AM
I've been a member of this site since 2005 when my favorite player became a White Sox player. Even though I am a Mariner Fan I have never been treated with anything other than respect. Even after my player moved on I still kept coming here. Granted he came back to the Sox this year but who knows where he will end up next. No matter what happens, I feel I have a place I can talk baseball without the childishness/hatefulness found on other baseball sites.

I'll root for SEA to win a World Series before I root for the CHC, easilly and with no shame!!!:cool:

Sam Spade
10-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Eh . . . it has its ups and downs.

goofymsfan
10-06-2009, 12:19 AM
I'll root for SEA to win a World Series before I root for the CHC, easilly and with no shame!!!:cool:

Thanks, if we can get those few missing pieces we are on the right track for next year or so.

asindc
10-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Goofymsfan, you are always welcome here.

I visit a few other baseball sites as well, and only one other compares to this site IMO. The others are quite juvenile and allow way too much bawdy behavior (and this is coming from someone with a bawdy sense of humor). The mods here do an exceptional job in maintaining standards of propriety, and the discussions, despite the occasional BA/Wise or sabrmetric/purist steel cage matches, are usually respectful and knowledgeable.

southside rocks
10-06-2009, 09:26 AM
I have to laud the job that the mods do here. The posting community has its changes over time, but the standards of the board/community are always upheld, and it's the mods who are mainly responsible for that. Keeping an online community active and relevant is a hell of a task, so props to WSI "management" for having done that in the 4 years that I've been reading the site.

kaufsox
10-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Goofymsfan, you are always welcome here.

I visit a few other baseball sites as well, and only one other compares to this site IMO. The others are quite juvenile and allow way too much bawdy behavior (and this is coming from someone with a bawdy sense of humor). The mods here do an exceptional job in maintaining standards of propriety, and the discussions, despite the occasional BA/Wise or sabrmetric/purist steel cage matches, are usually respectful and knowledgeable.

well, which is the other site? On topic though, this isn't just one of the best baseball sites, it is easily one of the best sites period. The kudos have to go to the mods. While at times their trigger fingers may seem quick, overall they keep things respectful, thoughtful and keep things in order. Perhaps the greatest stroke of genius though, no politics. Such a great idea, I wish other sites did it as well.

MisterB
10-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Maybe with some additions, but this is a 100% fluff thread. This site has some major holes to fill in the offseason. We have to be able to compete with the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels fansites, not just the crappy fansites from the A.L. Central.

Wait....what are we talking about? :redneck

asindc
10-06-2009, 11:07 AM
well, which is the other site? On topic though, this isn't just one of the best baseball sites, it is easily one of the best sites period. The kudos have to go to the mods. While at times their trigger fingers may seem quick, overall they keep things respectful, thoughtful and keep things in order. Perhaps the greatest stroke of genius though, no politics. Such a great idea, I wish other sites did it as well.

Though I hate the team, Boston's sonsofsamhorn.com is a really good site. Even there, however, the discussions, though knowledgeable, can get a bit out-of-bounds.

Waysouthsider
10-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I wish I'd have found the site years ago...can't believe I missed it....you guys definitely enriched the season for me this year....I spend some time every day and its always time well spent...

Here's hoping we have more to be cheering about next year...!

Daver
10-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Wait....what are we talking about? :redneck

The fact that I need to do a better job I think, but I may be wrong.

Rohan
10-06-2009, 10:51 PM
:threadrules:

guillensdisciple
10-07-2009, 01:30 AM
My brain has either evolved or devolved since I joined this website.

I am very very happy that I made the choice to do so.

pudge
10-07-2009, 02:39 AM
It is a great place to talk baseball... The glory days IMO were 01-03'ish - this board was just loaded and full of great discussions without too many getting out of hand.

peridot
10-07-2009, 02:48 AM
Perhaps the greatest stroke of genius though, no politics. Such a great idea, I wish other sites did it as well.
The forum I most heavily frequent is not a baseball forum at all, but it has the same "no politics" rule. I like it there and I like it here. I'm intensely political and get stressed out when reading political junk. I like to keep it separate from my other interests as much as possible.

soxfan22
10-07-2009, 03:44 AM
I have to echo what MARTINMVP said to open this thread. Also, I came on here not knowing what to expect. I'm still learning as I go and, like the shy kid who starts his first day at school, I just came on read posts and shut up. Thanks for the welcome when I introduced myself. I'm on here everyday now. The Sox are my team too now. I'm back in Chicago next August, firends I have in this great City have been told to get tickets for the Yankees @ Sox games (I'm going to the three of them) maybe I can say "hi" to some of you guys in person. I'll get the beers :D:

Irishsoxfan
10-07-2009, 04:05 AM
My daily ritual during the season if I have not seen the game is to go to the official site, get the result, read the box score and then it's over to WSI for everything else. Being in this time zone means I spend most of that time reading the threads rather than contributing but I don't know where I would be without it. I have tried a few other Sox sites over the years but my interest wained and yet I am still here. That speaks for itself.

Crestani
10-07-2009, 04:22 PM
My daily ritual during the season if I have not seen the game is to go to the official site, get the result, read the box score and then it's over to WSI for everything else. Being in this time zone means I spend most of that time reading the threads rather than contributing but I don't know where I would be without it. I have tried a few other Sox sites over the years but my interest wained and yet I am still here. That speaks for itself.

I joined in 2002 but left for another site with Sox fans and only came back after ready one of Lip's Blogs and remembering the WSI site this year. (Lip was the one who got me here in '02)

I believe that there are no more knowelgeable Sox fans anywhere else. It is interesting that we can agree to disagree about topics, but remain united on our desire to see the Sox win another WS.
:)