PDA

View Full Version : Faust to "Hit The Road, Jack" after 2010

DrCrawdad
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Article in the Cubune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-06-mitchell-oct06,0,225671.story) about Nancy Faust retiring after the 2010 season.

I'm trying to think of a song for her farewell...

ChiSoxGirl
10-05-2009, 08:33 PM
OMG, this is the worst news and definitely not a good thing to hear on the first day of the off-season! Nancy Faust is a White Sox tradition and synonymous with the team and Comiskey Park. It'd be nice if she went back on her vow to only play during day games for her final season.

LongLiveFisk
10-05-2009, 08:38 PM
:whiner:

I will miss her! Hearing her play at Sox games was always a great memory going back to the first game I ever saw.

Thanks, Nancy. :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
10-05-2009, 08:39 PM
I hope Nancy's retirement does not signal the end of organ music at Sox games.

What a class act, an excellent musician, and a gifted mind. We will miss her when she's gone.

chisoxfanatic
10-05-2009, 08:39 PM
OMG, this is the worst news and definitely not a good thing to hear on the first day of the off-season! Nancy Faust is a White Sox tradition and synonymous with the team and Comiskey Park. It'd be nice if she went back on her vow to only play during day games for her final season.
If she isn't able to do this, then at least I'd hope she'd do a Nothing But Nancy NIGHT game in 2010.

What bad news! Fortunately I have a photo with her.

DrCrawdad
10-05-2009, 08:42 PM

What a class act, an excellent musician, and a gifted mind. We will miss her when she's gone.

I'd bet that they'll cut off the organ after 2010.

Frater Perdurabo
10-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Losing Nancy is bad enough, but your verbiage makes it worse. :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
10-05-2009, 08:48 PM
What, you don't appreciate R-O-W-D-I-E???

thomas35forever
10-05-2009, 08:49 PM
As much as I knew Nancy's time was coming, I hope they find a replacement. It's not right to not have an organ at a ballpark.

I wish her the very best in the future.

SaltyPretzel
10-05-2009, 08:50 PM

Sounds pretty painful.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I thought some of the comments in the story were very interesting to say the least, when you refer to not overstaying your welcome and how readily the Sox accepted her request to only play day games...things like that, you start to wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

Lip

tacosalbarojas
10-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I thought some of the comments in the story were very interesting to say the least, when you refer to not overstaying your welcome and how readily the Sox accepted her request to only play day games...things like that, you start to wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

LipOverstaying your welcome when you are entering your 41st year...that's certainly an interesting way of putting it. I mean, come on, it's not about a welcome at this point. Nancy Faust is an institution on the south side. She may retire after 2010, but it won't be because she overstayed her welcome.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Taco:

That wasn't my comment. It was her's. The choice of words was interesting to me given what some have posted here about this situation over the past few years.

Use the search index, find those threads, read the comments and you'll understand my perspective.

Lip

Hitmen77
10-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Article in the Cubune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-06-mitchell-oct06,0,225671.story) about Nancy Faust retiring after the 2010 season.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :whiner:

It just won't seem the same at the Cell without Nancy anymore. It's already bad enough at night games when it's all canned music and no organ music at all.

I sure hope not either. I know that some organizations like the Sox have convinced themselves that the only way to please today's audience is to abandon tradition and just keep cranking up canned music louder and louder.

I'm sorry, but no organ music at all after 2010 will just make The Cell feel that much more generic and sterile. Other major and minor league parks I have attended still play organ music. I don't know why the Sox couldn't see it as positive ballpark experience.

tacosalbarojas
10-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Taco:

That wasn't my comment. It was her's. The choice of words was interesting to me given what some have posted here about this situation over the past few years.

Use the search index, find those threads, read the comments and you'll understand my perspective.

LipI know it wasn't your comment. I was replying to the general issue.

TheOldRoman
10-05-2009, 09:09 PM

Her retirement will definitely be the end of organ music at the park. Brooks had done a lot of good things in the past, but this is one thing he refuses to budge one. He either wants Nancy gone or someone above him does. Brooks has continually given fans lines like "We value Nancy, she has job as long as she wants it." When fans asked him if they planned on getting another organist when she retired, or why they didn't get a part time organist for her off days, he gave a vague BS response.

After next year, Brooks will come out with a series of "we did fan surveys, and we determined that the fans wanted something 'fresh' and 'hip'" quotes explaining why they didn't hire another organist. For all the good decisions the franchise has made over the past 5 years, this is a really bad one. While teams like the Red Sox and even the lovable losers emphasize organ music, they are hellbent on eliminating it. Prove me wrong, Brooks.

JB98
10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
You just get the feeling they've been trying to shove Nancy out the door for awhile.

One of my main complaints about the ballpark experience is the relentless canned music. I always make a point of not clapping my hands when "Everybody clap your hands" blares over the loudspeaker.

I applaud when the Sox do something good, or at key moments in the game. I think I've gone to enough baseball games that I know when to clap my hands, thank you very much.

Woofer
10-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I for one want more Nancy and less of the canned, way too overplayed loudspeaker music. Nancy will really be missed. Remember the horrible Jazzy Jeff DJ from about 10 years ago? I really don't want to see anything like that again.

skobabe8
10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't complain much about what they do and don't do at USCF, but this irritates me to no end. That noise they blare over the speakers is complete garbage, and for some reason they think the louder, the better. It's disgusting.

I'm emailing Brooks. I know its worthless, but I invite anyone else who feels like I do to do the same.

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm at least glad Nancy isn't retiring after this season. At that last home game a week ago, when they played the Nancy video, I thought they might be announcing this year would be her last.

In 2011, should Brooks offer Frank Pellico a summer job? It wouldn't be the same, of course, but it would at least be organ music.

tacosalbarojas
10-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm at least glad Nancy isn't retiring after this season. At that last home game a week ago, when they played the Nancy video, I thought they might be announcing this year would be her last.
that definitely crossed my mind as well.

Frater Perdurabo
10-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Prove me wrong, Brooks.

I think we need to flood Brooks Boyer's e-mail box and snail mail box with pleas to keep live organ music playing even after Nancy's retirement. We're the "core of the core" and although small, we are a vocal and powerful minority, and it would be a shame if we didn't use whatever power of persuasion that we do have. Feel free to use/adapt this text that I have sent to Brooks:

Dear Mr. Boyer,

For many years Nancy Faust's organ music has been an integral part of the unique fan experience of White Sox home games. With Nancy's pending retirement after the 2010 season, we hope you will listen to die-hard White Sox fans like me, and hire another organist for the 2011 season. Going to canned music instead of a live organist is like using a metal bat or a wiffle ball to play major league baseball - it's just not the same.

I hope that when I take my young son to his first Sox home game at U.S. Cellular Field, that he to can experience the goosebump-inducing thrill I had when going to my first game at old Comiskey Park: walking up the ramp, smelling the delicious grilled onions mixed with Roger Bossard's freshly-cut grass, seeing the massive scoreboard, and hearing live organ music along with the crack of the bat as my heroes took batting practice.

If you "follow the crowd" of other lemming-like organizations, and eliminate the live organ music, it will be like taking away a piece of my childhood, and depriving subsequent generations of Sox fans of the same joy I first experienced at age eight. Canned organ music is just as bad as no live organ music at all; it only reinforces the increasingly contrived nature of "forced sentimentality" that so many other organizations are foisting upon their fans, along with gimmicky outfield dimensions and fake tradition.

I know Nancy Faust cannot play indefinitely, but I hope that live organ music will be part of White Sox baseball forever. Live organ music at 35th and Shields is a real tradition that also can be marketed - and is much more genuine than the manufactured and booze-fueled propaganda swallowed by the shallow fans of your crosstown MLB competitor.

Thank you for your time.

slavko
10-05-2009, 09:49 PM

Lip

You're not wrong to try to read between the lines here. The odds are you're on target, IMO. Ironic that as I'm typing this I'm listening to Faust on the radio. (The opera "Faust" broadcast from opening night at the Lyric.)

Oh, well, out with Nancy, in with the Wave. To be honest I knew almost none of the song segments she played anyway. If the Wave represents the new "Us" it would make sense to dump the organ. Oh for the good old days.

Dick Allen
10-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I remember when Nancy first started, she was stationed in the CF bleachers at old Comiskey.

skobabe8
10-05-2009, 10:03 PM
I just sent one:

Brooks,

I saw the article on chicagotribune.com today regarding the retirement of Nacy Faust.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-06-mitchell-oct06,0,225671.story (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-06-mitchell-oct06,0,225671.story)

As a season ticket holder, I am really disappointed about this. After reading Nancy's comments, it seems as if she has a desire to continue to play, but she felt like she was not wanted by the organization. This seems to go along with speculation from people at WSI who are close to Nancy and have spoken with her personally over the last couple of years.

My question is, how are these decisions made? I have never been asked to take a survey regarding the music played at the ballpark or the entertainment provided. Who are the fans that are giving you this kind of feedback, and how can I become one? I feel the decrease in Nancy's organ and subsequent increase in canned music has made the White Sox experience a lesser one. And I'm not an old-timer complaining about the 'good old days'...I'm only 29!

I love being a season ticket holder. I trust Kenny Williams wants to win so I support the team regardless of their record, and since graduating from college I have been afforded the opportunity to own season tickets. But these kinds of decisions are the ones that make me really want to rethink if I want to continue to do so. You can't really control players having down years or getting injured and costing the team a chance at a championship. But you can control keeping some traditions sacred, having an identity, rewarding loyal employees, and not changing like the wind to follow the trends of the hour.

Nancy will be missed, and I am hanging onto the hope that at least when she is gone the organ music will continue. But I SERIOUSLY doubt it.

Jason Rosko

DrCrawdad
10-05-2009, 10:05 PM

In 2011, should Brooks offer Frank Pellico a summer job? It wouldn't be the same, of course, but it would at least be organ music.

Nancy was best because she was given the opportunity and freedom to exercise her creative, fun spirit.

I don't know Frank Pellico, but I'd wonder if he is as clever as Nancy was in her best days. And I'd wonder even if he is if he'd be allowed to exercise that creative wit.

MeteorsSox4367
10-05-2009, 10:23 PM

There's really only one song that Nancy can play for her last song.

I think it goes something like "Na, Na, Na, Hey, Hey..."

When I think of going to Sox games as a kid and working at Comiskey in high school, Nancy's music brings back a lot of great memories.

In the 2005 playoffs, when the Sox knocked out Boston's Matt Clement and as he was walking toward the dugout, the first notes played by Nancy of "Na, Na, Na, Hey, Hey" and how loud the Cell was brings back a wonderful memory.

Thanks, Nancy, for everything. Your music was the soundtrack of a lot of great memories of the Sox and Comiskey Park and the Cell.

MarkZ35
10-05-2009, 10:36 PM
I have a feeling that Brooks email is going to be filled with Nancy emails.

PaleHoser
10-05-2009, 10:38 PM

One of my enduring memories of Nancy will be the original "Turn Back the Clock Day" in 1990. She walked the park playing the accordian in a dress from the 1917 era.

I don't look forward to 100% program, canned music. OTOH, I sure wouldn't want to be the person to try an replace her at the keyboard.

Nancy is a true original, a class act and an absolute treasure. I hate to see her go.

DrCrawdad
10-05-2009, 10:44 PM
There's really only one song that Nancy can play for her last song.

I think it goes something like "Na, Na, Na, Hey, Hey..."

When I think of going to Sox games as a kid and working at Comiskey in high school, Nancy's music brings back a lot of great memories.

In the 2005 playoffs, when the Sox knocked out Boston's Matt Clement and as he was walking toward the dugout, the first notes played by Nancy of "Na, Na, Na, Hey, Hey" and how loud the Cell was brings back a wonderful memory.

Thanks, Nancy, for everything. Your music was the soundtrack of a lot of great memories of the Sox and Comiskey Park and the Cell.

Great points!

soxinem1
10-05-2009, 10:50 PM
I watched an old VHS video I taped from the last game at Comiskey Park a few weeks ago, and even my 14 year old felt that it was cool that there was nothing but organ music at the park.

If you want club music, go to a club.

With that I remember what made those last weeks at Comiskey so cool; the same thing that made the Comiskey experience cool my whole life.

In the past Nancy only played the 'Na-Na Na-Na, Hey-Hey-Hey, Good-Bye' part of the song, but kept practicing to play more of that signature tune.

By the last week of the home season that year she had made more of the song part of her rendition. It sounded genuine and even a bit sad when she debuted her upgraded version of that song, and made the last year in Comiskey even more memorable.

But her witty tunes when players would come up to hit had me laugh many times, especially when someone like Luis Polonia came up and she played the Sam Cooke song 'She Was Only Sixteen', no doubt in response to his 'chasing' the 15 year old that got him in trouble.

That being said, that sped-up tape of 'Na-Na Na-Na, Hey-Hey-Hey, Good-Bye' they've played the last few years might be the last remnants of Nancy.

DrCrawdad
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
I watched an old VHS video I taped from the last game at Comiskey Park a few weeks ago, and even my 14 year old felt that it was cool that there was nothing but organ music at the park.

If you want club music, go to a club.

With that I remember what made those last weeks at Comiskey so cool; the same thing that made the Comiskey experience cool my whole life.

In the past Nancy only played the 'Na-Na Na-Na, Hey-Hey-Hey, Good-Bye' part of the song, but kept practicing to play more of that signature tune.

By the last week of the home season that year she had made more of the song part of her rendition. It sounded genuine and even a bit sad when she debuted her upgraded version of that song, and made the last year in Comiskey even more memorable.

But her witty tunes when players would come up to hit had me laugh many times, especially when someone like Luis Polonia came up and she played the Sam Cooke song 'She Was Only Sixteen', no doubt in response to his 'chasing' the 15 year old that got him in trouble.

That being said, that sped-up tape of 'Na-Na Na-Na, Hey-Hey-Hey, Good-Bye' they've played the last few years might be the last remnants of Nancy.

Thanks for sharing those memories!

Those subtle digs at the opposition are no doubt not tolerated now, but that sly sense of humor, poking fun at the opposition without malice were fun.

nasox
10-05-2009, 11:09 PM
I can honestly say that I will attend less games if there is no organ music.

Edit: I'm 21 and in the target demographic for canned music.

Jpgr91
10-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I am not sure that organ music has much appeal to the casual fan. I have always enjoyed Nancy, it is always fun seeing who can be the first one to identify the song she is playing.

gobears1987
10-05-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm so sad to hear about this... :whiner:

areilly
10-05-2009, 11:28 PM
As said earlier in this thread, I'll miss her one-off song selection. Her solo arrangement of "Hey Ya!" was pretty stellar, but I think she has a good chance to say adios to two Sox music traditions at once:

Unaccompanied organ medley: "Sweet Home Chicago"/"Na Na Hey Hey."

The former has been increasingly rare, often swapped out for Bon Jovi, Sheryl Crow or whoever MLB has partnered with lately, and the latter, for all intents and purposes, leaves with Nancy Faust.

Rocky Soprano
10-05-2009, 11:40 PM
This is horrible news! :whiner:

I don't make it to many day games, but when I do it is truly a treat and its due to being able to listen to Nancy play.

I HATE the canned crap they play and I truly hope that Brooks does not disappoint and goes out and hires a new organist!

I will also be shooting Brooks an email.
Hell, does anyone have Reinsdorf's email address?!

gobears1987
10-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Hell, does anyone have Reinsdorf's email address?!
Well he does have contact info listed in AEPi's alumni directory...:wink:

thomas35forever
10-06-2009, 12:06 AM
I'll be honest. I'd much rather hear an organ than all canned music, but as someone who's heard canned music since going to his first ballgame 13 years ago, I'm used to it. It won't be a total loss for me since I've grown up with more canned music than live. I won't like the loss of the organ, but I'll accept it. Whatever happens happens, and there's nothing we can do about it.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-06-2009, 04:41 AM
I filled out a survey for the Sox a few weeks ago. I complained about the canned music, and it's lack of spontaniety. I hope the Sox bring in another organist, who has creativity and the freedom to use it. Or how about a brass band?

Viva Medias B's
10-06-2009, 07:21 AM
When Nancy plays her last song, after we win the 2010 World Series at USCF, it will likely be "Auld Lang Syne" which she plays at the end of each season.

southside rocks
10-06-2009, 07:30 AM
I'll be honest. I'd much rather hear an organ than all canned music, but as someone who's heard canned music since going to his first ballgame 13 years ago, I'm used to it. It won't be a total loss for me since I've grown up with more canned music than live. I won't like the loss of the organ, but I'll accept it. Whatever happens happens, and there's nothing we can do about it.

I guess I agree with this. I didn't grow up with canned music, but I have seen the switch to it on so many teams, and it's not really surprising to me that the Sox are following. Disappointing, but not surprising. Clearly, the organization decided some time ago that they don't want organ music, and they've only been keeping it because of Nancy and her contract.

I will feel that the ballpark experience is less without Nancy playing, and at my age I don't even know a lot of the canned music that is played. :tongue: Oh well. Thank you, Nancy, and let's make your last year a memorable one!

SOXSINCE'70
10-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Another "old school" tradition is gone.:(:

There is nothing like a day game with Nancy playing.
Some of us remember when she played 81 home games.:(:

tebman
10-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Another "old school" tradition is gone.:(:

There is nothing like a day game with Nancy playing.
Some of us remember when she played 81 home games.:(:

The videos linked here give a taste of how Nancy single-handedly provided the ballpark soundtrack. These have been in threads before but they bear repeating.

Watch the videos here (http://www.youtube.com/user/brokertothestars#play/uploads/25/FaepsBBHTh4), here (http://www.youtube.com/user/brokertothestars#play/uploads/27/v5zXsz81Yto), and here (http://www.youtube.com/user/brokertothestars#play/uploads/26/QIwj2zFtjBI) that were taken in the last weeks of Old Comiskey. Throughout the game you can hear the organ making musical comments.

Nancy's retirement is well-earned. It's remarkable that she's done what she's done for so many years and still kept her good humor. We've been lucky to have her and we'll miss her when she's gone, and the White Sox brass will really be missing a trick if they decide to fall back on shrill canned music for all games and all situations. If they finally decide not to hire another live musician I hope they remember that less is more with the prerecorded stuff.

LITTLE NELL
10-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Are there organists in the HOF?
If not, I nominate Nancy as the first.

Hitmen77
10-06-2009, 09:03 AM

But that's not quite the same as what the Sox have apparently been thinking in recent years. It isn't so much that younger fans could take or leave organ music. The idea is that the team thinks it NEEDS to move from organ music to canned music in order to draw in more of "today's" fans.

People will argue that few fans will really stop going to Sox games if they eliminate organ music, which is likely true. But, it's just one more thing that make the ballpark experience characterless and generic. It's just like saying people won't go to more games just because the seats are green, the exposed concrete has been covered, etc. Yeah, I doubt people are specifically deciding whether or not to pack up the family for a trip to the Cell solely based on seat color, ballpark music, etc. But, it does add up to the essential atmosphere at a ballpark that keeps people coming back.

Some might say "people aren't going to stop going to games just because the organist is gone". I think that unfairly puts the burden on proving the value of organ music without putting the canned music to the same test. Why not say "people aren't going to start going to Sox games because they got rid of organ music and went to a full-time DJ".

Seriously, are there fans of any age that are actually more likely to go to Sox games because they love the canned music that much? Really? 20 year olds are saying "Dude, let's go to more Sox games because they ditched the organ music and are now have a DJ playing for the entire game!"? :?:

I just find it hard to believe that, in a city where the Cubs have been consistently clobbered the Sox in market share for years primarily by marketing a more traditional feel to the ballpark experience, that the Sox think their answer is to have LESS ballpark tradition.

Red Barchetta
10-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Nancy was best because she was given the opportunity and freedom to exercise her creative, fun spirit.

I don't know Frank Pellico, but I'd wonder if he is as clever as Nancy was in her best days. And I'd wonder even if he is if he'd be allowed to exercise that creative wit.

Who was it that got canned after playing "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake when Finley (Tawny Kittan's abused BF) was here with the Angels? :D: :scratch:

We all know Brooks cut his sports marketing teeth with the Bulls and I've noticed that he doesn't like dead air at the ballpark. It seems with every pause in the on-field action, we are bombarded with multi-media special effects.

For the most part, I like the improvements to the ballpark such as the LED ribbons and updated scoreboards, etc., however it's sad to see Nancy go. Reading between the lines, it seems as though she would like to stay longer, however since the marketing team jumped at her earlier suggestion to only play day (definition - low attendance) games, she knows they would rather move on.

Reminds me of the atmosphere after Andy the Clown wasn't invited into New Comiskey.

nug0hs
10-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Seriously, are there fans of any age that are actually more likely to go to Sox games because they love the canned music that much? Really? 20 year olds are saying "Dude, let's go to more Sox games because they ditched the organ music and are now have a DJ playing for the entire game!"? :?:

I'm 24 and absolutely hate that canned stuff they pipe in. I'd much rather hear Nancy playing "I'm Hardrock, I'm Cocoa, I'm Joe" when Coco Crisp comes up to bat as opposed to some dumb hip hop song. Granted I go to a lot of games and can tell the difference when she's around...either way she will be missed!

dickallen15
10-06-2009, 09:45 AM
I always thought the players preferred the canned music and that was why it was originally piped in. I don't know if its true or not and I really doubt more people go to games to hear "Everybody clap your hands" 20 times a game, so I will miss Nancy. Looking at her, its hard to imagine she's old enough to have held the same job for 41 years.

jdm2662
10-06-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm not as anti-canned music as the rest of you, but I do like the mix of the organ and canned music. So, my perference will always be day games over night games. That said, the number of games I attend will remain how the team is on the field. The last game I went to this year was in July for obvious reasons.

slavko
10-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Who was it that got canned after playing "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake when Finley (Tawny Kittan's abused BF) was here with the Angels? :D: :scratch:

We all know Brooks cut his sports marketing teeth with the Bulls and I've noticed that he doesn't like dead air at the ballpark. It seems with every pause in the on-field action, we are bombarded with multi-media special effects.

Reminds me of the atmosphere after Andy the Clown wasn't invited into New Comiskey.

Not to pick but.... Finley and Tawny were married, IIRC. Don't ask me why anyone would marry Tawny.

If a Sox game becomes like a Bulls game, where it's impossible to have a discussion about, say, basketball because of the noise, I will be very upset.

Horrifying thought. If Nancy still wants to work, and wants to work days, where might she go closer to home for a little retirement job? Don't put it past them to go the same route they did with Harry.

mrfourni
10-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Horrifying thought. If Nancy still wants to work, and wants to work days, where might she go closer to home for a little retirement job? Don't put it past them to go the same route they did with Harry.

No chance. Gary Pressey (the Cubs Organist) hasn't missed a game in 20 years. He's no Nancy, but he's still pretty good and he's a Cub fan and a fan favorite over there. I read an article that stated that he and Nancy are friends, I don't think she'd go after his job.

skobabe8
10-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Here is Brooks' response to my email:

Thanks for the note Jason and thanks for being a season ticket holder. I was unaware of Nancy's decision until Fred reached out to us yesterday. 41 years is a heck of a run and it will be a great celebration for her next season. I don't know what we will do as I have not spent any time thinking about it as this is new news to me. I was hoping to never have to look for another organist. Hopefully we can find someone who can follow a legend. Hopefully we can talk Nancy into coming out a few times a year (or more if I had it my way) in her retirement.

All the best,

Brooks

slavko
10-06-2009, 10:41 AM
No chance. Gary Pressey (the Cubs Organist) hasn't missed a game in 20 years. He's no Nancy, but he's still pretty good and he's a Cub fan and a fan favorite over there. I read an article that stated that he and Nancy are friends, I don't think she'd go after his job.

You're right, Gary's OK and I even recognize some of the tunes he plays. And Harry did make the first move. But still.....

slavko
10-06-2009, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the note Jason and thanks for being a season ticket holder. I was unaware of Nancy's decision until Fred reached out to us yesterday. 41 years is a heck of a run and it will be a great celebration for her next season. I don't know what we will do as I have not spent any time thinking about it as this is new news to me. I was hoping to never have to look for another organist. Hopefully we can find someone who can follow a legend. Hopefully we can talk Nancy into coming out a few times a year (or more if I had it my way) in her retirement.

All the best,

Brooks

To the naked eye....that doesn't sound like she's being pushed aside. Or that organ music is necessarily gone either. Unless Brooks is a flat-out liar, which he isn't.

Noneck
10-06-2009, 10:56 AM

All the best,

Brooks

That sure does sound encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

rdwj
10-06-2009, 11:28 AM

All the best,

Brooks

I would be really pleased to see a handful of nothing but Nancy nights in years to come.

Hitmen77
10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
. Looking at her, its hard to imagine she's old enough to have held the same job for 41 years.

Just imagine, she was the organist as a 22 year old way back during that 106-loss 1970 season.

I know she's the longest tenured current Sox employee, but I have to wonder if she's the longest tenured White Sox employee ever.

Red Barchetta
10-06-2009, 11:39 AM
I would be really pleased to see a handful of nothing but Nancy nights in years to come.

The "Turn back the clock" promotions would be a good fit for an occassional Nancy night.

Noneck
10-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I know she's the longest tenured current Sox employee, but I have to wonder if she's the longest tenured White Sox employee ever.

Shes not.

http://mlb.mlb.com/cws/team/exe_bios/bossard_roger.html

Warriorjan
10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Keep writing to Brooks. The more of us he hears from the better.

Law11
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
What Brooks needs to do if this the stance is give Nancy full reign in 2010 to do her thing like the ol days and not choreograph when and what she needs to play.. Let her go out the way we all remember her. Playing all game making you think hmm why would she be playing that...

There are Traditions.. Then there are White Sox Traditions Brooks..
Let Nancy do her thing in 2010!

tacosalbarojas
10-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Not to pick but.... Finley and Tawny were married, IIRC.

If a Sox game becomes like a Bulls game, where it's impossible to have a discussion about, say, basketball because of the noise, I will be very upset.

To answer the earlier poster question, Joe Stephan is the guy who got fired over the Finley/Whitesnake flap.

Waysouthsider
10-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Hard to imagine games without Nancy....I'm constantly amused/entertained by her choices and creativity....our family always has fun listening for her and the kids like to try to figure out the connections.

What a sad day!

TheOldRoman
10-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Expect this quote from Brooks to be repeated next year: "The analogy I used is, 'Who follows Coach K at Duke?' If we bring in someone else behind her, the person doesn't have a chance from the get go." Clearly, Duke is looking at disbanding their basketball team when Coach K retires. :rolleyes::angry:

AZChiSoxFan
10-06-2009, 01:06 PM
You just get the feeling they've been trying to shove Nancy out the door for awhile.

One of my main complaints about the ballpark experience is the relentless canned music. I always make a point of not clapping my hands when "Everybody clap your hands" blares over the loudspeaker.

I applaud when the Sox do something good, or at key moments in the game. I think I've gone to enough baseball games that I know when to clap my hands, thank you very much.

Preach it bro. Telling fans when to clap/cheer = minor league ball and is something that should be beneath the USCF experience.

Count me in the crowd who will be sad to see Nancy go and hates the canned music "experience."

AZChiSoxFan
10-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Keep writing to Brooks. The more of us he hears from the better.

OK, I know this is a longstanding joke around here but seriously, could you give me his e-mail address? :redface:

Thanks.

Rocky Soprano
10-06-2009, 02:07 PM
OK, I know this is a longstanding joke around here but seriously, could you give me his e-mail address? :redface:

Thanks.

bboyer@chisox.com

mrfourni
10-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Expect this quote from Brooks to be repeated next year: Clearly, Duke is looking at disbanding their basketball team when Coach K retires. :rolleyes::angry:

Where is this quote from?

TheOldRoman
10-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Where is this quote from?I believe he has said it or paraphrased it more than once, but it is mentioned in this (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060421&content_id=1411088&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) link (which I thought someone posted earlier but I can't find now).

I like Brooks' email response to Skobabe, so hopefully they actually DO find a replacement and don't say "Well, we couldn't find anyone fit to follow a legend, so we decided to retire the position." Whoever they get will not be the same as Nancy. That person most likely won't be as witty as her, and won't have the same style of playing. She is one of a kind, and the best there is. However, you don't eliminate the organ just because the next organist might not be as good.

Noneck
10-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Maybe I am little more greedy than most. Nancy is a creative genius and it will be next to impossible to find someone equal to her in this respect. But they have to find someone with personality. Someone you can say Hi to, carry on a short chat with and maybe request a tune to. This is what I would look for in the next organ player. And please don't hide the organ player behind closed doors, well unless they hire Dr. Phibes.

BainesHOF
10-06-2009, 05:04 PM
The first thing the Sox should do is make Nancy feel more welcomed at the park and try to convince her to work past 2010.

The canned music the Sox play is terrible for a number of reasons:

- It's played too loudly. Part of the experience of attending a ballgame is talking with the people around you. Sometimes you can't even talk to the person next to you because the music is so loud.

- It's played too much. It's pretty a relentless barrage whenever the ball is not in play.

- The music, on the whole, is bad. Much of it is old and has been played ad naseum (and many songs weren't even that good in the first place). At least play something somewhat current. Use an ounce of imagination and play something relevant to the city, the situation, etc. What we receive now is just dumb stale jock rock that has been beaten to death. The people who play the music have no clue about music or its potential at the park. How music is played at the Cell is sad. It's like a 50-year-old guy wearing gold chains and dated clothes trying to pick up 20-somethings at a bar.

The Sox really should take a look and listen around good baseball cities and take note of their aural atmosphere. For example, Boston and St. Louis are two teams that don't blast their fans with garbage music.

Special mention needs to go to the continued inappropriate playing of "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye." It's been embarrassing for years to anyone who's been paying attention.

wassagstdu
10-06-2009, 05:41 PM
41 years! And Nancy learned to play the organ when she was 4? That must mean that she learned to play on the job at Comiskey!

Nancy Faust has been a HUGE part of the White Sox. I hope the team realizes how huge. Players come and go, uniforms and logos come and go, ownership comes and goes, ballparks come and go, but Nancy Faust has always been there. I think I was there the day she invented "Na Na Na Na Goodbye." (Double header against KC, no?) Lots of water under the bridge since then, for the Sox and for all of us personally (those few who are old enough), but still there is the ageless Nancy Faust -- for one more year anyway.

Frater Perdurabo
10-06-2009, 08:22 PM

All the best,

Brooks

Brooks said many of the same things in his reply to me.

tacosalbarojas
10-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Brooks said many of the same things in his reply to me.
I'll be more interested in what he does than what he says.

Frater Perdurabo
10-06-2009, 09:10 PM
I'll be more interested in what he does than what he says.

I agree.

soxfanreggie
10-06-2009, 11:01 PM
This news is truly...:whiner:

Nancy is a LEGEND. She can never be replaced, so hopefully they can convince her to play select games each year.

jdm2662
10-07-2009, 03:18 PM
I asked Les last night what he knew about the situation with Nancy. Here is his response:

Hi Jeffrey.
I know Nancy(and have for 35 years),and she told me that SHE wanted to do only day games plus any playoffs as well like last year. I think she is retiring on her own after next season. If they were phasing her out,they would have already done it.
http://www.grobber.com/index.php?module=My_eGallery&do=showpic&pid=161&orderby=dateD (http://www.grobber.com/index.php?module=My_eGallery&do=showpic&pid=161&orderby=dateD)

Take care, Les

slavko
10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I asked Les last night what he knew about the situation with Nancy. Here is his response:

Hi Jeffrey.
I know Nancy(and have for 35 years),and she told me that SHE wanted to do only day games plus any playoffs as well like last year. I think she is retiring on her own after next season. If they were phasing her out,they would have already done it.
http://www.grobber.com/index.php?module=My_eGallery&do=showpic&pid=161&orderby=dateD (http://www.grobber.com/index.php?module=My_eGallery&do=showpic&pid=161&orderby=dateD)

Take care, Les

The way her words are phrased when she is quoted has led us to all sorts of speculation, with good reason. The above is accurate and unspinnable.

gobears1987
10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
The way her words are phrased when she is quoted has led us to all sorts of speculation, with good reason. The above is accurate and unspinnable.
That's basically in line with what Hal has said and Hal knows her too. I truly believe the decision is Nancy's and hers alone. I just hope the Sox don't use this as an opportunity to dump the organ. I trust Brooks to keep his word here and look for a replacement.

ewokpelts
10-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I do a lot of the in-game surveys. One question that is asked frequently is about the organ and ingame music.
I always answer that I'm strongly in favor of organ music.

I think fans need to email or write the sox and express thier desire for a replacement organist. Sox wont do this on thier own.

SteveFakeBlood
10-08-2009, 04:06 PM
I have an interesting story about Nancy that doesn't exactly start out related to her, but I think speaks a lot about her influence- so stay with me.

In November 2007, my friend Brendan (also a lifelong Sox fan) and I were attending an AFC Wimbledon soccer match in London, they're a semi-pro soccer team with a pretty interesting history (formed by fans in response to their team being moved to another city and have moved up to being only one level from a professional team themselves in less than a decade)- but still a semi-pro team on essentially the level of an independent minor league club.

A player for the opposing team received a Red card and was thrown out of the game and to our surprise he was serenaded with "Na Na Hey Hey." So thirty years after Nancy Faust chose to play that at Old Comiskey (and I've seen multiple accounts confirming that she was the first to play it and have the crowd sing at a sporting event), it not only has been used around Major League Baseball and crossed over into other American sports, but made it to a minor league soccer game in England.

How awesome is that?

I'll miss her too, but as long as people still sing that song her memory and influence will live on.

And she serves as another great example of how "White Sox traditions" (i.e. things the White Sox started) have been the oft-forgotten and little-credited start of greater baseball and sporting traditions (fans singing "Take me out to the ballgame", fireworks, names on uniforms, etc.).

~Steve

Law11
10-08-2009, 04:20 PM
last offseason the bad news was Bests Kosher is no more
This offseason Nancy is hanging them up.

Traditions die hard in Chicago.

Medford Bobby
10-08-2009, 04:33 PM
How many Old Comiskey Park links are still out there?????:scratch:

TDog
10-08-2009, 05:48 PM
I have an interesting story about Nancy that doesn't exactly start out related to her, but I think speaks a lot about her influence- so stay with me.

In November 2007, my friend Brendan (also a lifelong Sox fan) and I were attending an AFC Wimbledon soccer match in London, they're a semi-pro soccer team with a pretty interesting history (formed by fans in response to their team being moved to another city and have moved up to being only one level from a professional team themselves in less than a decade)- but still a semi-pro team on essentially the level of an independent minor league club.

A player for the opposing team received a Red card and was thrown out of the game and to our surprise he was serenaded with "Na Na Hey Hey." So thirty years after Nancy Faust chose to play that at Old Comiskey (and I've seen multiple accounts confirming that she was the first to play it and have the crowd sing at a sporting event), it not only has been used around Major League Baseball and crossed over into other American sports, but made it to a minor league soccer game in England.

How awesome is that?

I'll miss her too, but as long as people still sing that song her memory and influence will live on.

And she serves as another great example of how "White Sox traditions" (i.e. things the White Sox started) have been the oft-forgotten and little-credited start of greater baseball and sporting traditions (fans singing "Take me out to the ballgame", fireworks, names on uniforms, etc.).

~Steve

I am a huge fan of Nancy Faust, but ...

Nancy Faust was playing the Na Na song when she started working as the Sox organist in 1970. Other organists were as well. The song was a big hit in the winter before the 1970 baseball season. (A studio group calling itself Steam peaked at No. 1 with the song in December 1969.) In the fall of 1970, I heard the song chanted when a visiting player was being carried off the field during a Munster High School football game. And there were more fans (albeit classless) singing along then than there were white Sox fans singing along with Nancy Faust at first.

The song is pop fluff, but it has an enduring hook that many have picked up by many, especially trash talking sports fans. That you continue to hear the chorus 40 years later, chanted or sung, accompanied or a cappella, at sporting events speaks more to the influence of Paul Leka and his collaborators on the composition than it does to the influence of Nancy Faust.

Frontman
10-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Man, this gets bad to worse this offseason.

"FIRE KENNY!!!"

If Nancy doesn't do a night game, I don't care if the Sox are eliminated by the last game of the season in Chicago; I'm going to be there to say goodbye. Nancy=Sox fandom to me. Being a fan of the White Sox; I always grin when I hear "Hey hey hey, goodbye" elsewhere in professional sports, knowing that started on the Southside.

SteveFakeBlood
10-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Nancy Faust was playing the Na Na song when she started working as the Sox organist in 1970. Other organists were as well. The song was a big hit in the winter before the 1970 baseball season. (A studio group calling itself Steam peaked at No. 1 with the song in December 1969.) In the fall of 1970, I heard the song chanted when a visiting player was being carried off the field during a Munster High School football game. And there were more fans (albeit classless) singing along then than there were white Sox fans singing along with Nancy Faust at first.

The song is pop fluff, but it has an enduring hook that many have picked up by many, especially trash talking sports fans. That you continue to hear the chorus 40 years later, chanted or sung, accompanied or a cappella, at sporting events speaks more to the influence of Paul Leka and his collaborators on the composition than it does to the influence of Nancy Faust.

OK, fair enough. You do have some good points. It is a tribute to the hook (and I have no doubt that it would continue to be heard somewhere if not at stadiums...) and Nancy may not have been the originator, but I still think it has a clear association with her. Just as Harry and Sox fans weren't the first to sing "Take me out to the Ballgame" at the 7th inning stretch, but I think it is fair to say she popularized it and is largely responsible its continued use (by reviving it in 1977) in those situations.

~Steve

TDog
10-08-2009, 06:57 PM
OK, fair enough. You do have some good points. It is a tribute to the hook (and I have no doubt that it would continue to be heard somewhere if not at stadiums...) and Nancy may not have been the originator, but I still think it has a clear association with her. Just as Harry and Sox fans weren't the first to sing "Take me out to the Ballgame" at the 7th inning stretch, but I think it is fair to say she popularized it and is largely responsible its continued use (by reviving it in 1977) in those situations.

~Steve

If you want to talk about traditions started in Chicago, you can talk about throwing the ball back onto the field after a home run, or on foul balls if you're an impressionable kid who believes that is baseball etiquette. Everyone was singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame during the seventh inning stretch before Harry Caray came to work for the White Sox.

If you're a White Sox fan, you might feel possessive about the Na-Na Song. But the song was in widespread use in other major league parks before, during, during and after 1977, when the White Sox and Mercury Records were making a big deal out of it. The White Sox generated so much regional interest in 1977 and the song was played so much that Mercury records re-released the single with a White Sox picture sleeve (I have one) in 1977, and the song was performed by Steam, more or less, before a Sox game that summer, but it's far-fetched to suggest that every use of the song at a sporting event is influenced by Nancy Faust and/or the White Sox.

I was watching a hockey game in Canada one night, and the announcer spoke in reverence of a former hockey announcer who allegedly coined the phrase, "a shot and a goal." As if someone else wouldn't have come up with that on their own. I look the same way at uses of The White Sox Theme, as Mercury Records subtitled it on the 1977 re-issue picture sleeve.

TommyJohn
10-08-2009, 07:07 PM

I hope my memory isn't playing tricks on me with this, because I was very young (8) in 1977, but I DISTINCTLY remember watching a 1977 game on TV in which we could hear the fans singing "Na, Na, Na, Na" a cappella. I can even recall my mother laughing and commenting on it. So I was always under the impression that the song was started by the fans and picked up by Nancy Faust, not the other way around. I wish there was some way to prove this, but there really isn't. Well, if any contemporaneous newspaper accounts mention the song, that might be our best bet.

Lip Man 1
10-08-2009, 07:36 PM
It actually started in 76 but considering how bad the club was no one noticed.

Lip

Warriorjan
10-08-2009, 09:11 PM
It was indeed started by the fans and Nancy picked it up. The Sox Supporters used it in 1977 to taunt Minnesota by singing "Minnesota, Minnesota,...." etc. during the doubleheader against them in I believe July of that summer.
I will miss Nancy. I remember how young she was when she first started playing that organ out in center field. It was pretty isolated out there.

Medford Bobby
10-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Are there organists in the HOF?
If not, I nominate Nancy as the first.
Maybe Gladys Gooding???:scratch:

DannyCaterFan
10-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Well, If Nancy is forced to leave, we can always bring back Bob Creed or Shea Torrent......(These are the guys that preceded Nancy)

hula
10-11-2009, 01:48 PM

I'm with you! I remember when she started there. I was just a kid and my mom told this "girl" was straight out of college and was going to be the new organist for the Sox. When I started going to games shortly thereafter while in high school I'd always stop by and say hello. I am sooo sorry to hear this.........!!! I will miss you Nancy!!! :whiner: Please change your mind and stay with the Sox!!!!!!

Rohan
10-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I spoke to Nancy and Joe last night. She said it's just about time she take it easy. She did say that she'd like to do some spring training games though.

TommyJohn
10-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Little trivia: The man who hired Nancy Faust to be the new organist in 1970 was none other than Stu Holcomb, who would go on to be one of the most disasterous GMs in team history. Good thing Nancy didn't ask for a raise back then, or she probably would have been out the door, too.

slavko
10-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I seem to remember her working the mighty Chicago Stadium organ for a few years too, after the legendary Al Melgard retired. Am I wrong?

SaltyPretzel
10-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I seem to remember her working the mighty Chicago Stadium organ for a few years too, after the legendary Al Melgard retired. Am I wrong?

Yes, she did Blackhawk games also. I believe Wirtz fired her after she played at some North Star games.

Viva Medias B's
10-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Little trivia: The man who hired Nancy Faust to be the new organist in 1970 was none other than Stu Holcomb, who would go on to be one of the most disasterous GMs in team history. Good thing Nancy didn't ask for a raise back then, or she probably would have been out the door, too.

Holcomb also ruined NU football in 1963 by letting Ara Parseghian go to Notre Dame.

slavko
10-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Holcomb also ruined NU football in 1963 by letting Ara Parseghian go to Notre Dame.

Fill me in Viva. I recall Ara dancing close with ND but not saying yes until they gave him an ultimatum and he went in the middle of the night. Could Holcomb have stopped him? Do colleges ever hold a coach to a contract?

chisoxfanatic
10-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Yes, she did Blackhawk games also. I believe Wirtz fired her after she played at some North Star games.
Was she breaking her contract, or did it say nothing in her contract that she couldn't work for other organizations as well? If it's the later, then that's pretty crappy on $Bill's part.

SaltyPretzel
10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Was she breaking her contract, or did it say nothing in her contract that she couldn't work for other organizations as well? If it's the later, then that's pretty crappy on $Bill's part.

I think he was just pissed she did work for the North Stars. She wouldn't play when they played the Hawks.

Viva Medias B's
10-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Fill me in Viva. I recall Ara dancing close with ND but not saying yes until they gave him an ultimatum and he went in the middle of the night. Could Holcomb have stopped him? Do colleges ever hold a coach to a contract?

After the 1962 season, in which Northwestern came as close as ever to winning the NC, Holcomb leaked a story to one of the papers that Ara's contract would not be renewed after the '63 season. Ara confronted Stu about it and Holcomb told Parseghian that "no one coaches forever." Ara said he would fulfill the 1963 season but would leave NU because of this. It was clear that Holcomb wanted Ara out even though it took some wrangling by Notre Dame to get Ara over there. And, of course, NU football foundered for the most part afterwards until 1995.