PDA

View Full Version : Sox will be very strong World Series contender next season

Rockabilly
10-05-2009, 03:23 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090930&content_id=7255666&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Hitmen77
10-05-2009, 03:35 PM
....so says the official White Sox website.:rolleyes:

I think we have a lot of important pieces in place to contend, but there are still a few gaping holes to fill before we become serious WS contenders. Interesting position by position analysis by Merkin.

Under OF/DH after Quentin and Rios, the rest of his list is Wise, Jordan Danks, Flowers, and Viciedo.:o: KW has some work to do.

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2009, 03:40 PM
They will be if KW adds some punch to our lineup and shores up the bullpen.

soltrain21
10-05-2009, 03:54 PM
And my mom will tell you I'm incredibly handsome.

(Seriously, though. I am.)

Lip Man 1
10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Well even if Kenny doesn't do a thing this off season they'll be contenders for the division because of their starting pitching.

Now a 'World Series contender' I suppose if you are a contender in the division technically you can be considered a contender for a World Series appearance.

Of course I can also win the lottery tomorrow but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Reality says unless the Sox can retool an inconsistent offense, unless they can stabilize the 5th starter spot, unless they can fine tune the bullpen and unless they can get a leadoff man (Pods apparently is going to play the field and may not be around) the chances of the Sox beating out the Yankees, Red Sox or Angels for a World Series shot are extremely long.

We'll see how the off season goes.

Lip

Domeshot17
10-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Maybe with some additions, but this is a 100% fluff piece. Our starting 4 is great, but our offense and defense are terrible as of now. Finding a middle of the order hitter will not be easy but it is necessary.

I don't know, I am ready to move on 2009, but I hate the article. make some additions, lets see the team before we start declaring a team that hasnt contended for a title since 2005 a world series contender.

I hate the part of the article saying the Sox fell just short of a division that took less than 90 wins. If the Division took 80 wins we fell just short, otherwise, we were long gone.

Personally I hope this season sits in Ozzie and Kenny and the players. Let them linger over losing for a while, hopefully it makes them hungrier to actually play decently and win.

It's Dankerific
10-05-2009, 04:37 PM
just seems like a hard hitting piece of investigative journalism to me. I see no reason not to believe we will be World Series Champs come 2010.

Rockabilly
10-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I would like to see the Sox pick up a great lead off hitter, a young power DH, and a solid left hander out of the bull pen.

It looks like we will have a nice 5 man rotation with Garcia

It's Dankerific
10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
I would like to see the Sox pick up a great lead off hitter, a young power DH, and a solid left hander out of the bull pen.

It looks like we will have a nice 5 man rotation with Garcia

whatever moves or non-moves will be the right ones. the ones that don't happen just aren't meant to be.

JB98
10-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Our rotation is strong enough to compete for a championship. The rest of the team, not so much. We'll see what KW does. The status quo isn't good enough.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Dank says:

"Just seems like a hard hitting piece of investigative journalism to me. I see no reason not to believe we will be World Series Champs come 2010."

Teal is your friend.

Lip

TheCommander
10-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Dank says:

"Just seems like a hard hitting piece of investigative journalism to me. I see no reason not to believe we will be World Series Champs come 2010."

Teal is your friend.

Lip

The quote feature would be your friend if you let it be. :wink:

TornLabrum
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090930&content_id=7255666&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Just in time for the season ticket drive....

DrCrawdad
10-05-2009, 08:40 PM

I probably believed that the 1970 Sox would be strong World Series contenders going into the season.

As was the big concern for me going into this season so it will be for next season...

Bullpen, fix it.

Frater Perdurabo
10-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Of course it's propaganda designed to sell tickets, but I honestly can say that other than just after winning the 2005 World Series, this is the most optimistic I've felt about a White Sox ballclub this early in the offseason.

Games aren't played on paper, of course, but KW really has re-loaded this team on the fly. We have the best 1-4 in the majors, have filled the CF hole with a young hitter who in the recent past has been an All-Star, have the infield set, and have a recent MVP candidate for one corner OF spot. Find an OF who hits lefty and fix the bullpen, and we're ready to go.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Commander:

Don't need it since I usually don't want to quote an entire post.

Lip

A. Cavatica
10-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I probably believed that the 1970 Sox would be strong World Series contenders going into the season.

Well, be glad they weren't in our division, or we'd have finished fourth.

FielderJones
10-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Don't need it since I usually don't want to quote an entire post.

Shade/delete is your friend. :wink:

TDog
10-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Well, be glad they weren't in our division, or we'd have finished fourth.

The 2009 White Sox were not nearly as bad as many around here insist. While this statement may get some laughs, it is ridiculously hyperbolic.

For much of the 1970 season, rookie Jerry Janeski was the second strongest starter in the rotation after Tommy John. After the season, he only won one more major league game. With Joe Horlen losing his ability to get hitters out, after Janeski for much of that summer, came Jerry Crider, who had broken in with the Twins the previous season. After 1970, he never pitched another major league game. In an age of four-man rotations, the 1970 White Sox were scrambling to find an effective second starter.

Noneck
10-05-2009, 10:32 PM
For much of the 1970 season, rookie Jerry Janeski was the second strongest starter in the rotation after Tommy John. After the season, he only won one more major league game. With Joe Horlen losing his ability to get hitters out, after Janeski for much of that summer, came Jerry Crider, who had broken in with the Twins the previous season. After 1970, he never pitched another major league game. In an age of four-man rotations, the 1970 White Sox were scrambling to find an effective second starter.

And right under their nose was the 2nd best lefty in recent Sox history along with another lefty that went on to win 288 games.

DSpivack
10-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Of course it's propaganda designed to sell tickets, but I honestly can say that other than just after winning the 2005 World Series, this is the most optimistic I've felt about a White Sox ballclub this early in the offseason.

Games aren't played on paper, of course, but KW really has re-loaded this team on the fly. We have the best 1-4 in the majors, have filled the CF hole with a young hitter who in the recent past has been an All-Star, have the infield set, and have a recent MVP candidate for one corner OF spot. Find an OF who hits lefty and fix the bullpen, and we're ready to go.

I normally like to think of myself as a cautious optimist, but I see no reason right now why this team is a WS contender in 2010. A contender for the division, sure. Our strength is obvious, the rotation. But TCQ is an injury risk and a bit of a question mark, I don't see him right now as a reliable middle of the order bat. As for Rios, it remains to be seen that he can hit consistently well with the White Sox. It's a small sample size, sure, but with his huge contract there's a lot of pressure on him and the organization that he does well.

At this point, and the offseason is still a month away with lots of changes to be made, I think we can contend in the AL Central. Lots of work has to be done, mainly in getting reliably consistent run producers, for the White Sox to be a true World Series contender in 2010.

TDog
10-05-2009, 11:29 PM
And right under their nose was the 2nd best lefty in recent Sox history along with another lefty that went on to win 288 games.

Tommy John, like Jerry Janeski, lost 17 games, including a 12-0 defeat on opening day. Wilbur Wood was the only reliever the White Sox could depend on in short, middle or long relief. Strangely enough, in two years, the Sox finished with the second-best record in the league, thanks in large part to trading John and turning Wood into a starter.

But the 2009 White Sox were exponentially better than the 1970 White Sox.

palehozenychicty
10-06-2009, 12:14 AM
I normally like to think of myself as a cautious optimist, but I see no reason right now why this team is a WS contender in 2010. A contender for the division, sure. Our strength is obvious, the rotation. But TCQ is an injury risk and a bit of a question mark, I don't see him right now as a reliable middle of the order bat. As for Rios, it remains to be seen that he can hit consistently well with the White Sox. It's a small sample size, sure, but with his huge contract there's a lot of pressure on him and the organization that he does well.

At this point, and the offseason is still a month away with lots of changes to be made, I think we can contend in the AL Central. Lots of work has to be done, mainly in getting reliably consistent run producers, for the White Sox to be a true World Series contender in 2010.

This post sums up my feelings. I feel like the team has a lot of positioin needs that may not get filled in this offseason. Bullpens are always unknown, neither do we really know what to expect out of Q, Rios, and Alexei. When they play well, we seem to win. Getz proved to be fragile this season. Hopefully it's not a trend. We may need another leadoff hitter. We really need a solid outfielder. I'm curious to see what will happen on the hot stove. KW pulls a trade out of nowhere every winter.

Noneck
10-06-2009, 12:23 AM
But the 2009 White Sox were exponentially better than the 1970 White Sox.
Without a doubt but I have seen worse than Tommy John, Wibur Wood and a young healthly Bart Johnson. Now the rest of their staff was pitifully.

Their offense if I recall was pretty decent. With Melton, Hermann, Hopkins, Walter Williams (of course), King Carlos May, Ken Berry, Sir Sydney O'Brien and Looie had a real good year.

Thinking back I did like their lineup but the bad year they had was because of poor pitching.

Ranger
10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
....so says the official White Sox website.:rolleyes:

I know this is a popular opinion, and feel free to debate the points of any article based on merit. However, I can definitively tell you that the MLB.com writers are not controlled like you would think. They're free as any other beat writer. They may have initiatives and MLB projects to focus on at times, but they're allowed to write normally when it comes to news.

Lip Man 1
10-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I second what Ranger has said, my only "issue" (that's a poor choice of wording but it's the only one I can think of right now) is that he tends to take the most optimistic and positive outlook that he can regarding the Sox no matter the subject, situation or issue. I have rarely seen him write anything criticle of the team or organization. I honestly can't think of anything specific right off the top of my head where he came down on something.

I've seen the same thing demonstrated when he has appeared on Chicago Tribune Live! (I wish Chris would make an appearance on it!).

I think that's simply Scott's personality but I can understand why it would make fans think he's being told what to say.

Lip

lostsimpsonfg24
10-06-2009, 07:35 PM
For the offense to be dominant: Beckham and Getz have to improve, Quentin and Rios have to play like 2008 and not 2009, and the rest have to stay consistent with this year. If this happens, I'd say were the favorite to win the World Series.

Lip Man 1
10-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Favorites over the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels?

Interesting perspective.

Lip

Brian26
10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
I second what Ranger has said, my only "issue" (that's a poor choice of wording but it's the only one I can think of right now) is that he tends to take the most optimistic and positive outlook that he can regarding the Sox no matter the subject, situation or issue.

If I didn't know any better, Lip, that would be a perfect description of yourself. :redneck

ramblinsoxfan11
10-06-2009, 08:48 PM
KW needs to focus now on strengthening the Outfield. If Pods starts at Left Field I can't imagine him throwing out any runners at home... or at third base.