PDA

View Full Version : 4:07 Central for MIN/DET game, no AL schedule?

downstairs
10-05-2009, 02:57 PM
What's with the 4:07pm start? That's strange. Not the :07 part- I mean starting an important, prime-time, national broadcast at 4pm when there is nothing else going on?

Secondly- even though they know the record of the winner, and the fact that they'll play the Yankees in NY- they haven't scheduled the times or days for any of the AL playoffs?

Why would it affect anything if it were MIN or DET? Either team will travel from MIN that night to NY. Its all known, right?

Marqhead
10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
All I know is that the Yankees get to choose when they want their series to start. Maybe they are waiting to see the outcome before choosing.

mrfourni
10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
What's with the 4:07pm start? That's strange. Not the :07 part- I mean starting an important, prime-time, national broadcast at 4pm when there is nothing else going on?

Secondly- even though they know the record of the winner, and the fact that they'll play the Yankees in NY- they haven't scheduled the times or days for any of the AL playoffs?

Why would it affect anything if it were MIN or DET? Either team will travel from MIN that night to NY. Its all known, right?

The Yankees get to pick which start date they want. They deadline to make that pick is one hour after the conclusion of the Det/Minny game.

I don't know who sets the time of the tiebreaker game, but I assume it would be the Twins. If that is the case, they probably are expecting the Yankees to pick the series that starts Wednesday. Therefore the 4:00 start allows them to finish a game at around 7:00, get to the airport around 9-10, and get to their hotel room probably around 1. With a 7:00 start, they probably don't get to the hotel until 3-4 a.m, and have to play an important game that night.

ewokpelts
10-05-2009, 03:27 PM
probably to make travel easier.

downstairs
10-05-2009, 03:32 PM
All I know is that the Yankees get to choose when they want their series to start. Maybe they are waiting to see the outcome before choosing.

That's right! I forgot teams got to decide. I guess its fair then, the Yanks have to know whay they're up against.

Scottiehaswheels
10-05-2009, 03:49 PM
That's right! I forgot teams got to decide. I guess its fair then, the Yanks have to know whay they're up against.Does it really matter? Either way should be a sweep. They both suck.

TDog
10-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Does it really matter? Either way should be a sweep. They both suck.

I would never use the verb "suck" to describe a major league baseball team, especially a team that wins a division, albeit a weak division.

I also wouldn't say a sweep is a foregone conclusion. The Tigers weren't very good in 2006 and went to the World Series, where they lost to a team that was barely above .500.

Of course, whoever wins Tuesday will have not have the luxury of setting up their rotation. I believe the White Sox would alive had a great chance to beat the Rays last October if they hadn't had to keep winning with the best pitching they had available against three teams on three straight days. The Yankees will probably end up taking advantage of the playoff game this year, especially if Detroit wins, postponing by a day when they have to face Verlander.

oeo
10-05-2009, 04:29 PM
I also wouldn't say a sweep is a foregone conclusion. The Tigers weren't very good in 2006 and went to the World Series, where they lost to a team that was barely above .500.

The Tigers won 95 games in 2006, IIRC, and were the best team in baseball for a large portion of the year.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Our tiebreaker was at a weird time, too - 6:37pm. I remember because I skipped an important orientation to go to the game. :cool: Best decision I ever made.

TDog
10-05-2009, 05:48 PM
The Tigers won 95 games in 2006, IIRC, and were the best team in baseball for a large portion of the year.

They were also playing poor baseball going into the postseason, having blown a big lead, and, really, not deserving to go to the postseason having blown that lead.

Big D
10-05-2009, 05:53 PM
They were also playing poor baseball going into the postseason, having blown a big lead, and, really, not deserving to go to the postseason having blown that lead.

Yeah, and the team they lost to in the World Series that year was playing even worse baseball going into the postseason. I don't think how a team is playing in September really has much bearing on how they play once they get there.

oeo
10-05-2009, 06:13 PM

If you win 95 games, you deserve to go to the postseason. It doesn't matter when you win them. And because they were playing poorly in September, that makes them 'not very good'? I guess the 2005 Sox were not very good, either. :scratch: Who cares that they went wire-to-wire and dominated in the playoffs. They didn't play well in September and blew a 15 game lead.

Also, the 2006 Cardinals were devastated by injuries. They were finally healthy in October and showed what they were capable of. Not to mention, the Tigers gift-wrapped that series with shoddy defense. I would be completely shocked if either the Twins or Tigers got past the first round. I'm not saying they're going to get swept, but they're not getting through the Yankees. Neither team has the pitching to win in the postseason, especially against a very good Yankees offense.

TDog
10-05-2009, 06:21 PM
If you win 95 games, you deserve to go to the postseason. It doesn't matter when you win them. And because they were playing poorly in September, that makes them 'not very good'? I guess the 2005 Sox were not very good, either. :scratch: Who cares that they went wire-to-wire and dominated in the playoffs. They didn't play well in September and blew a 15 game lead.

Also, the 2006 Cardinals were devastated by injuries. They were finally healthy in October and showed what they were capable of. Not to mention, the Tigers gift-wrapped that series with shoddy defense. I would be completely shocked if either the Twins or Tigers got past the first round. I'm not saying they're going to get swept, but they're not getting through the Yankees. Neither team has the pitching to win in the postseason, especially against a very good Yankees offense.

If you can't win your division, you don't belong in the postseason.

getonbckthr
10-05-2009, 06:21 PM
According to Peter Gammons Detroit has an arguement where the game should be played in Detroit tonight opposed to Minnesota tommorow. Apparently the rules indicate that the 1 game playoff it to be played today since there is a scheduling conflict it should have been moved to detroit.

oeo
10-05-2009, 06:25 PM
If you can't win your division, you don't belong in the postseason.

This is silly. You went from calling the 2006 Tigers a 'not very good' team to bitching about the Wild Card.

Twins_Morneau
10-05-2009, 06:37 PM
probably to make travel easier.

Yea thats it, whoever wins has to immediately fly to NY for Wednesday game.

TDog
10-05-2009, 07:17 PM
This is silly. You went from calling the 2006 Tigers a 'not very good' team to bitching about the Wild Card.

There is nothing inconsistent in what I wrote.

The Tigers were not a very good team at the end of the 2006 regular season. They blew the lead and lost a large division lead. They only got to the postseason because major league baseball has a wild card to allow a second-place team into the postseason, a gimmick that is supposed to sustain interest in the races.

If you play with an unbalanced schedule, a wild card is inherently unfair. If you play a balanced schedule, with every team playing every other team the same number of times, home and away (and barring a tie), you don't need a postseason series, let alone two postseason series to determine which team should go to the World Series.

jmeneghini1433
10-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Go tigers. I hate the Twins.

FloridaTigers
10-06-2009, 01:36 AM
There is nothing inconsistent in what I wrote.

The Tigers were not a very good team at the end of the 2006 regular season. They blew the lead and lost a large division lead. They only got to the postseason because major league baseball has a wild card to allow a second-place team into the postseason, a gimmick that is supposed to sustain interest in the races.

If you play with an unbalanced schedule, a wild card is inherently unfair. If you play a balanced schedule, with every team playing every other team the same number of times, home and away (and barring a tie), you don't need a postseason series, let alone two postseason series to determine which team should go to the World Series.

I personally wish the league was set up pre-1995. Sure, it means likely less post-season chances for the Tigers, but it allows for legit World Series contenders to make it. I'd rather see a pennant race between the top two teams in the AL, or expanded division rather than a second tier team in a joke division.

Bruizer
10-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Is this game being broadcast on TV?
I couldn't find it last night to set up my DVR.
Tribune says TBS, but the Comcast guide had other stuff. :scratch:

I was hoping to enjoy seeing one of the teams eliminated tonight (and the other by NY later). :cool:

Bru

SOXSINCE'70
10-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Does it really matter? Either way should be a sweep. They both suck.

Exactly!! The Yankmees should sweep playing either team.
At least in my opinion.

#1swisher
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
is this game being broadcast on tv?
I couldn't find it last night to set up my dvr.
Tribune says tbs, but the comcast guide had other stuff. :scratch:

I was hoping to enjoy seeing one of the teams eliminated tonight (and the other by ny later). :cool:

Bru

tbs

hawkjt
10-06-2009, 12:22 PM
According to Peter Gammons Detroit has an arguement where the game should be played in Detroit tonight opposed to Minnesota tommorow. Apparently the rules indicate that the 1 game playoff it to be played today since there is a scheduling conflict it should have been moved to detroit.

This is a valid point. I would be very pissed if I was the tigers. If they win ,they have to play NY the very next day? Ridiculous.
MLB should have had the balls to give the twins the ultimatum, play it in Detroit on Monday or another site, like at Soxpark...:D: