PDA

View Full Version : When did you realize there would be no playoffs for us this year?

Smokey Burg
10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
At what point during the season did you realize that there would be no playoff baseball in Chicago? South and north side, too.

For the cubs, it was easy for me. Once I heard about the De Rosa trade and subsequent MB signing I figured cubbie season was over.

With the Sox, the disaster series at the end of July started me to think that there really was trouble. When they couldn't do better than win - loss baseball during August through Labor Day, I pretty much resigned myself to no playoffs.

How about you guys and girls?

Lip Man 1
10-05-2009, 02:00 PM
I had thought and said so at Scott Reifert's blog back in April that unless the Sox had built up a sizable lead that the 'road trip from hell' could kill them. I just never had a good feeling with this club from the get-go. Too many has been's, cast off's, injury prone guys to start the year and when Kenny improved the talent the chemistry wasn't there.

It simply didn't work.

Lip

asindc
10-05-2009, 02:10 PM
When Contreras failed to field Ortiz's weak grounder in Boston. My heart sank on that play, for Contreras and the team's chances. That felt like "the moment" to me.

Marqhead
10-05-2009, 02:14 PM
According to Facebook I declared the Sox season dead on 8/26/09. I don't feel like looking up the exact game as it is too depressing.

asindc
10-05-2009, 02:19 PM
According to Facebook I declared the Sox season dead on 8/26/09. I don't feel like looking up the exact game as it is too depressing.

That is the game to which I'm referring.

dickallen15
10-05-2009, 02:21 PM
When Dewayne Wise led off on opening day.

Gavin
10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Last week of August or so. They still had a reasonable mathematical chance for about a week after that but I could tell they were dead.

sox1970
10-05-2009, 02:24 PM

Beat me to it.

voodoochile
10-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Last week of August or so. They still had a reasonable mathematical chance for about a week after that but I could tell they were dead.

It was around that time for me too. I still held out some small hope, but wasn't expecting it to happen. It was sometime around then I changed the sox-o-gram. Shortly thereafter they traded Thome and Contreras.

Marqhead
10-05-2009, 02:45 PM
That is the game to which I'm referring.

Yeah, I figured it was that game. I'm surprised I held out that long.

This made me chuckle.

Huisj
10-05-2009, 03:08 PM
10-0 loss to Sergio Mitre. A week or so earlier, they had pulled within 2 games, Peavy was making early rehab starts, and they were 3 games over .500 and seemed to be playing well. Then halfway into the road trip, they were struggling and then that happened and they were clearly moving in the wrong direction. That was kind of the who-am-I-kidding moment where all the thoughts about how this team just wasn't all that good came together and were the whole truth.

WhiteSox5187
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
When Contreras failed to field Ortiz's weak grounder in Boston. My heart sank on that play, for Contreras and the team's chances. That felt like "the moment" to me.

It is the sort of moment you look back on and go "Oh this is when it all snowballed," I didn't know it at the time, but looking back that was the beginning of the end.

Over By There
10-05-2009, 03:31 PM
10-0 loss to Sergio Mitre. A week or so earlier, they had pulled within 2 games, Peavy was making early rehab starts, and they were 3 games over .500 and seemed to be playing well. Then halfway into the road trip, they were struggling and then that happened and they were clearly moving in the wrong direction. That was kind of the who-am-I-kidding moment where all the thoughts about how this team just wasn't all that good came together and were the whole truth.

For me it was the game after that, the 8-3 loss at the Yankees. IIRC, they were about 5 games out at that point and had a small lead when the game was turned over to the pen, who promptly gave up a mess of runs in about the 5th or 6th inning. I remember turning off the TV that inning and declaring the season dead at that point.

PatK
10-05-2009, 03:37 PM
For the cubs, it was easy for me. Once I heard about the De Rosa trade and subsequent MB signing I figured cubbie season was over.

If I hear one more Cubs fan blame this year on the trading of DeRosa, I may go postal.

thomas35forever
10-05-2009, 03:38 PM
For me it was the game after that, the 8-3 loss at the Yankees. IIRC, they were about 5 games out at that point and had a small lead when the game was turned over to the pen, who promptly gave up a mess of runs in about the 5th or 6th inning. I remember turning off the TV that inning and declaring the season dead at that point.
Right here. When Teixeria hit the homer off Linebrink in the seventh, I threw in the towel. Everyone said it would come down to that road trip, and it did.

Railsplitter
10-05-2009, 03:40 PM
When the Sox slipped below .500

GoGoCrede
10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Middle of September. I was in major denial.

Noneck
10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
After the Sox dumped Uribe, Swisher, Vazquez, Cabrera and didn't replace with major league talent. So that was day 1 of this year.

JB98
10-05-2009, 04:39 PM
July 24.

The day after Buehrle's perfect game, they got swept in a doubleheader at Detroit. Even though they were only two games out of first at that point, I realized there was no chance in hell the team was good enough to get over the top.

It's Dankerific
10-05-2009, 04:39 PM

dickallen15 : preacher
dankerific: choir.

AZChiSoxFan
10-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Wow, that was the same moment for me as well.

Jerko
10-05-2009, 05:46 PM
The homestand right before the "road trip from hell" just showed me they didn't "have it" this year.

LITTLE NELL
10-05-2009, 07:23 PM
At the end of the "Road Trip From Hell" even though we won the last game in Minny and the make up game with the Flubs.

Thatguyoverthere
10-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Wow, that was the same moment for me as well.Ditto, though the next day's heartbreaking loss cemented the feeling.

Daver
10-05-2009, 08:29 PM
At the end of March.

TornLabrum
10-05-2009, 08:38 PM
When it was announced during spring training that the 4-5 starters would be Contreras and Colon.

Tragg
10-05-2009, 08:43 PM
When Ozzie named DeWayne Wise his leadoff hitter.

Frater Perdurabo
10-05-2009, 08:54 PM
At the end of March.

When it was announced during spring training that the 4-5 starters would be Contreras and Colon.

When Ozzie named DeWayne Wise his leadoff hitter.

D. All of the above.

MARTINMVP
10-05-2009, 09:10 PM
For the White Sox, it was the road series against Boston and New York. Knew that was the final nail in the coffin.

For the Cubs, it was probably the third week in August. They started that month tied for first with the Cardinals and fell back a few games behind, and started a home stand against the World Champion Philies, in which they either got swept or lost two out of three. That entire home stand was a disaster and that started their downward spiral.

Madvora
10-05-2009, 09:11 PM
I posted this in another thread. August 22, when the Sox lost the first of the three game set to Baltimore. Looks like they were only 2.5 out after that game.

They were about 2 games out for so much of the season that it was insane to think they were going to make up 6 or more within the last month.

tm1119
10-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Never had high hopes of this team making the playoffs. I made a thread declaring this year as a rebuilding year for the Sox before the season even started, and everybody here bit my head off for it.

Parrothead
10-05-2009, 11:12 PM
when looking at the opening day roster

soxnut1018
10-05-2009, 11:16 PM
October 4th, but then again I was never that good at math.

StillMissOzzie
10-05-2009, 11:35 PM
I find it hard to believe that all of you "Opening Day / DeWayne Wise leading off / Contreras & Colon as 4 & 5" naysayers thought that the Sox had no chance when they were only two games out In August. Ain't buying it.

While I didn't realize it at the time, the Contreras muff of Ortiz' grounder in Boston was the start of the big ball of **** rolling downhill, at or near the beginning of the Roadtrip from Hell, from which they never recovered.

SMO
:gulp:

It's Dankerific
10-05-2009, 11:59 PM
I find it hard to believe that all of you "Opening Day / DeWayne Wise leading off / Contreras & Colon as 4 & 5" naysayers thought that the Sox had no chance when they were only two games out In August. Ain't buying it.

While I didn't realize it at the time, the Contreras muff of Ortiz' grounder in Boston was the start of the big ball of **** rolling downhill, at or near the beginning of the Roadtrip from Hell, from which they never recovered.

SMO

All you have to do is check the records =)

I was sending emails to Ozzie to try to prevent this, but, he's the ****ing manager.

Noneck
10-06-2009, 12:33 AM

SMO

Here's mine and if the mods unlock the original season predictions achieves you should see it match.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2330301#post2330301

LoveYourSuit
10-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Because of the prospect of our rotation and the competition we had in Detroit and Minnesota, I honestly thought there was no way possible we could not squeeze out 86 miserable wins out of this season. :angry:

I was wrong. Now I am upset again. Watching the pathetic Twins and Tigers square off tomorrow will make me sick to my stomach once again. :angry:

WSox597
10-06-2009, 07:01 AM
I had a bad feeling in June. Bases loaded and nobody out resulting in no runs was happening too much even then.

Bullpen was still looking good, but they were still sort of scary even before the wheels came off.

I was hoping against hope, but in June I figured they weren't likely to get into the playoffs. I wish I was wrong.

If they had somehow made it in, they would have their heads handed to them if they played the same lackadaisical way.

SOXSINCE'70
10-06-2009, 07:48 AM
When the Sox went 3-8 on a crucial 11 game road trip in August.:(:

Bruizer
10-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Getting swept by the Yankees and then losing the next two in Minnesota. :(:

But then I actually started paying attention again for a little while when they came back in that final game in Minnesota.

Bru

voodoochile
10-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Here's mine and if the mods unlock the original season predictions achieves you should see it match.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2330301#post2330301

Won't unlock it, but we will be having a discussion. It's a scored event and I need the playoffs to finish first.

kaufsox
10-06-2009, 09:46 AM

but like the OP asks, you didn't think they had a chance to prove you wrong? Then why did you pay attention at all this season? A masochist I presume.

chisox616
10-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I didn't accept it until we were mathematically eliminated. I would just not give up hope.

Many of you picked the Road trip from Hell to be the ending point, but what about winning that last game at the Twinkie Dome and taking the last game from the Cubs? God, after every win I expected them to go on some huge winning streak, even though I was waiting for that all season. Once they were finally, finally eliminated, I just had to accept it.

But man, after winning the first two games of the last series in Detroit, I still felt we could somehow take the division.

jabrch
10-06-2009, 10:19 AM
At the end of the "Road Trip From Hell" even though we won the last game in Minny and the make up game with the Flubs.

Me too...up until then, anything was possible. At that point, possible turned to mathematically possible, but improbable. That's when I thought it was over.

Noneck
10-06-2009, 10:38 AM
but like the OP asks, you didn't think they had a chance to prove you wrong? Then why did you pay attention at all this season? A masochist I presume.

Nothing really changed during the year that made me believe they had a chance. Could I have been wrong? Of course I hoped I would be.

I enjoy baseball and the Sox. If watching and paying attention to the Sox for 50 years makes me a masochist, then so be it.

Over By There
10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
A word to the wise: predict the Sox will fail miserably in 2010 so you can tout your supreme intelligence in this thread next year. "I knew they had no chance in March."

In case of emergency (successful 2010 Sox season): "Aw shucks, I'm the first one to say I'm glad I was wrong. Go Sox!"

NLaloosh
10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
When Gordon Beckham continued to hit the snot out of the baseball, Jake Peavy was traded for and Alex Rios was picked up but the team continued to lose in the same way it had all season.

tm1119
10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
A word to the wise: predict the Sox will fail miserably in 2010 so you can tout your supreme intelligence in this thread next year. "I knew they had no chance in March."

In case of emergency (successful 2010 Sox season): "Aw shucks, I'm the first one to say I'm glad I was wrong. Go Sox!"

Or some people would just rather go with the realistic approach, rather than the blind homerism approach. Seriously, we lost our #4 starter and 4 everyday players, and replaced them with essentially nobody. Why would anyone think we could make the playoffs?
But, I will say right now that I think we WILL make the playoffs next season. Next seasons roster is looking a lot better than this years.

asindc
10-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Or some people would just rather go with the realistic approach, rather than the blind homerism approach. Seriously, we lost our #4 starter and 4 everyday players, and replaced them with essentially nobody. Why would anyone think we could make the playoffs?
But, I will say right now that I think we WILL make the playoffs next season. Next seasons roster is looking a lot better than this years.

I hear your point, but this is what I was thinking at the beginning of the year:

1) There was no way Wise would finish the season at CF. I was confident that KW would do something about it;

2) I did not think Fields would regress so terribly in the field and at the plate. I was expecting something similar to 2007;

3) I thought Getz played about as well as expected, which happened to be middle of the pack for 2B;

4) I though TCM played better offensively than Cabrera would have, and worse defensively, making it a wash. What I expected;

5) I did not anticipate TCQ missing two months with injury;

6) I did not anticipate Dye hitting under .200 for the second half;

7) I did not expect Buehrle to fall off significantly after the perfecto;

8) I did not expect Jenks to regress.

On the other side of the ledger, there are these observations:

A) I certainly did not see Pods 2.0 performing so well;

B) I did not expect AJ to play so well. Maybe .280, 15, 70, but not over .300 with better defense.

C) I did not see Beckham coming up at all, let alone playing so well right away.

I think everyone else's performances could have been reasonably anticipated. Given such, I did not expect a losing season, even with ?? at 4th and 5th starters. No one in the Central impressed me enough to think they would win 90 games, and I was right about that. I just didn't think the Sox would struggle to get to 79 wins.

mccoydp
10-06-2009, 12:52 PM
July 24.

The day after Buehrle's perfect game, they got swept in a doubleheader at Detroit. Even though they were only two games out of first at that point, I realized there was no chance in hell the team was good enough to get over the top.

That was it for me as well.

tm1119
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM
I hear your point, but this is what I was thinking at the beginning of the year:

1) There was no way Wise would finish the season at CF. I was confident that KW would do something about it;

2) I did not think Fields would regress so terribly in the field and at the plate. I was expecting something similar to 2007;

3) I thought Getz played about as well as expected, which happened to be middle of the pack for 2B;

4) I though TCM played better offensively than Cabrera would have, and worse defensively, making it a wash. What I expected;

6) I did not anticipate Dye hitting under .200 for the second half;

8) I did not expect Jenks to regress.

On the other side of the ledger, there are these observations:

B) I did not expect AJ to play so well. Maybe .280, 15, 70, but not over .300 with better defense.

C) I did not see Beckham coming up at all, let alone playing so well right away.

I think everyone else's performances could have been reasonably anticipated. Given such, I did not expect a losing season, even with ?? at 4th and 5th starters. No one in the Central impressed me enough to think they would win 90 games, and I was right about that. I just didn't think the Sox would struggle to get to 79 wins.

Im with you on most of those points, however you kinda almost have to factor in things like injuries and slumps. They happen to every team, every year. I will admit that I didnt expect a losing season either, I was expecting somewhere right around .500. Which is pretty much never good enough to win any division in baseball.
I dont really see this season as a loss either. We got valuable experience time out of Beckham, Getz, and a few young pitchers, and we also acquired 2 pretty big pieces to next years team. A good move or 2 this offseason from KW and we are right back to being the favorites for the Central.

khan
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM

I agree with you except for these three points.

If you look at Fields' history, you would see that he is, was, and always will be a K waiting to happen. I've been of the same opinion of his game since 2007. He never has been, and never will be good at baseball. Or, at least never good enough play at this level. KW should have traded him after Fields got lucky in garbage time in 2007. KW might have been able to hoodwink a stupid GM into taking Fields' errors and his Ks off our hands for something valuable.

TCQ's history shows that he's injury-prone. Until he shows that he can remain healthy in back-to-back seasons, I'll remain hopeful that he will, but expectant that he won't.

Buehrle's shoulder has become more tender as he's aged. He's pitched a LOT of innings in his decade in Chicago. He's had his starts "pushed back" on a more frequent basis in recent years. For this reason, I like the idea of having him as a more-effective #3 or #4 than a #1 or #2 in coming seasons.

I agree with these three.

I didn't think that the SOX would be that good this year, based on the team that KW assembled last offseason. But KW made some good moves, and as you mentioned, Pods/AJ/Beckham exceeded expectations; IMO, these three playing above expectations, which kept this team from being a 70 win team instead of a 79 win team.

To the OP's query:
I also look to the stretch after the perfect game where the SOX couldn't beat anybody as the point at which I realized it was time to pay attention to the Bears and Hawks.

Dick Allen
10-06-2009, 01:26 PM
When they lost 3 out of 4 to the A's at home earlier in the season. I was hoping they could still pull it off, but deep down, I just couldn't see it.

fox23
10-06-2009, 05:23 PM

That was mine as well. After that inning, I promptly threw out my postseason ticket invoice, turned off the TV, and stopped actively watching their games for the rest of the season. Really helped out my stress level.

Tragg
10-06-2009, 09:32 PM
When they lost 3 out of 4 to the A's at home earlier in the season. I was hoping they could still pull it off, but deep down, I just couldn't see it.
I felt the same way on a broader level....the Sox just struggled too much with the bad teams to be a serious contender.
Of course, I didn't think 86 wins would be good enough either.

Rohan
10-06-2009, 09:53 PM

I thought we might still have a chance... but i suppose not.

Dub25
10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
The day before the road trip through Boston, NY, Minny and the Urinal.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2009, 10:45 PM
That was mine as well. After that inning, I promptly threw out my postseason ticket invoice, turned off the TV, and stopped actively watching their games for the rest of the season. Really helped out my stress level.
I did the same thing with my invoice, and that was the "moment" for me too.

I've been meaning to ask...What's with the Carolina Hurricanes sig pic?

StillMissOzzie
10-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I felt the same way on a broader level....the Sox just struggled too much with the bad teams to be a serious contender.
Of course, I didn't think 86 wins would be good enough either.

That's part of my frustration, too. I predicted 86 victories, but I didn't really think that would be enough for post-season consideration. Now, the Sox didn't in 86 anyhow, but how could I have known that 86 would be enough to throw the AL Central into a 3-way tie?

SMO
:o:

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2009, 12:13 AM
I did the same thing with my invoice, and that was the "moment" for me too.

I've been meaning to ask...What's with the Carolina Hurricanes sig pic?
And yet ANOTHER thread hijack to talk hockey. And I love hockey! Just not in every thread on a baseball board.

OldRomanPizza
10-07-2009, 01:02 AM
I figured THE road trip would kill us this year and the fact it was Contreras comically bumbling a ground ball early in the first game was only apropos.

I knew the Chads were not going to get in the day Kevin Gregg gave up back to back jacks to the Fish.

soxinem1
10-07-2009, 07:18 AM
At what point during the season did you realize that there would be no playoff baseball in Chicago? South and north side, too.

With the Sox, the disaster series at the end of July started me to think that there really was trouble. When they couldn't do better than win - loss baseball during August through Labor Day, I pretty much resigned myself to no playoffs.

The only MB I know did not sign with CHC, he re-signed with us two years ago!!!!

To answer the question, the series with BOS pretty much did it. From Contreras imploding to being shut down by a back up SS pitcing relief for two innings pretty much summed it up.

And while I could care less about the cubs, DeRosa being traded had about as much to do with them falling off as Swisher being traded to NYY did with the White Sox doing the same.

Red Barchetta
10-07-2009, 12:30 PM
When they immediately went 1-7 through Detroit and Minnesota after Beuhrle's perfect game on July 23. I knew at that point, there was something missing from the makeup of the team. They had moved into a first place tie with Detroit and had reached the season highpoint of 5 games over .500 with the perfect game. It was at this point I thought they were going to take over the division. The Tigers and Twins pretty much kicked their butts with the offense nowhere in sight and they never recovered. I remember hearing the players talk about how hard of a time they have in the dome, etc. :angry:

Bucky F. Dent
10-08-2009, 07:49 AM

I thought there was trouble from the start when they couldn't field the damned ball. But I knew there was no chance of even making the post season when Peavy took the line drive off the elbow during his rehab start.

russ99
10-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I knew from day one. Well to put it more accurately, mid-February when Kenny cheaped out on the bargain basement FA market.

I thought the Sox would be a .500 team, and they couldn't even get that far.

We'll see what they do to change that for 2010, but obviously Peavy and Rios (playing to his capacity) are a nice start.