PDA

View Full Version : Whom do you want to win it all?

Viva Medias B's
10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
The MLB playoffs are here and, sadly, we are not a part of them. Nevertheless, of the nine teams involved (including the participants of Game 163 this Tuesday), which one do you want to win the World Series?

veeter
10-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Colorado

ChiSoxGirl
10-04-2009, 10:38 PM
I voted St. Louis for purely selfish reasons; someone I know was recently hired by the Cardinals. He's waited his whole life for this opportunity and I'd like for him to get a ring.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2009, 10:43 PM
The Cardinals are my NL team, so them. I'll be wearing my Albert Pujols t-shirt this month.

EMachine10
10-04-2009, 10:52 PM
I voted STL

Lip Man 1
10-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Since the Sox are no longer playing to me the season is over. I don't watch and don't care.

Lip

GoGoCrede
10-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Dodgers. As much as I dislike Manny, I grew up in California and my first baseball game was a Dodgers game. I have lots of Dodgers fan friends who would love this. And I want our Jimmy to get his ring.

MeteorsSox4367
10-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Cardinals to beat the Angels in the World Series. I could also root for the Rockies to do something.

Just please not the Red Sox or Yankees.

doublem23
10-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Since the Sox are no longer playing to me the season is over. I don't watch and don't care.

Lip

Thanks for posting in this thread then.

Hitmen77
10-04-2009, 11:32 PM
I voted Dodgers because of Jim Thome. Otherwise, I'd probably choose the Angels. Of the AL playoff teams, I really really want the Angels to make it to the World Series because I just cannot stand the Red Sox and the $Y$a$n$k$e$e$s$....and I'll take the Angels over the Twins/Tigers any day.

If the Red Sox or Yankees make it to the World Series, I might not even be interested in watching a single inning of the Fall Classic.

DSpivack
10-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Thome. Though I wouldn't mind seeing the Cardinals or Rockies [yay Jose!] win, either.

Chrisaway
10-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Whoever wins the AL. I root for my league.

thomas35forever
10-05-2009, 12:27 AM
The Cardinals are my third favorite team. I'll get behind them.

TheVulture
10-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Where's the grammar police when you need them?

manders_01
10-05-2009, 12:31 AM
It's Rocktober baby! Let's go Colorado! :bandance:

BleacherBandit
10-05-2009, 12:47 AM
I'll root for the Rockies, although they are not a "second favorite team" of mine or anything like that. I don't like any team besides the White Sox. That's what it means to be a fan of a team. However, I'd like to see Jose win another World Series. There is at least one player on every other team that I hate. Oh, and I wish I could root for Thome, but I can't root for a team that a proven cheater plays for.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-05-2009, 01:25 AM
I'd like the Dodgers to win, only because of Thome.

guillensdisciple
10-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Rockies- I love underdogs, and while I can't say I will root for them; I can say that I will have interest in their score lines.

soltrain21
10-05-2009, 02:26 AM
I want to see Jim get a ring. The Dodgers.

Big D
10-05-2009, 05:21 AM
I'll root for the Rockies, although they are not a "second favorite team" of mine or anything like that. I don't like any team besides the White Sox. That's what it means to be a fan of a team. However, I'd like to see Jose win another World Series. There is at least one player on every other team that I hate. Oh, and I wish I could root for Thome, but I can't root for a team that a proven cheater plays for.

Didn't the Rockies sign Giambi? That bastard stole the 2000 MVP award from Frank.

WhiteSox1989
10-05-2009, 07:58 AM
As others have said, I'll be rooting for the Dodgers.

g0g0
10-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm sticking AL and even AL Central. It would be great for an under achieving division to win it all, especially by a club taking advantage of their opening into the playoffs. If they can win Tuesday it's all MN for me. Just not the Yankees!!!

Let the hating begin! :dtroll:

aryzner
10-05-2009, 08:47 AM
I want to see Jim get a ring. The Dodgers.
My thoughts and reasoning for said thoughts exactly.

TommyJohn
10-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Let's see-I am an AL fan, so I pull for whoever represents the junior circuit in the World Series. That being said, let us assess:

Detroit Tigers-no chance. If they represent the AL Central, they will do the 3 and out. Sorry, Oblong. They just don't have the pitching to carry them through a sustained postseason run.

Boston Red Sox-Um, no. Their ungracious fans (some of them) and the sackcloth-and-ashes routines over Bucky, Billy, Booney, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. got on my last nerve a long time time ago. Screw them.

LA Angels-very good team, one of my favorites. I cultivated a secondary rooting interest in them during my time in SoCal, though I don't actively root for them now. They are the team I would like to see win it-however, they are plagued with "Red Sox-itis." they are utterly incapable of beating the Red Sox in the first round. While they are the team I would like to see win, I am going to go with...

New York Yankees. I guess this makes me a shameless front-runner. But they do have the best team in baseball, and their pitching seems improved over previous years, when they got bounced in the ALDS. Of course, one of those pitchers is CC Sabbathia, who totally blew 2 years ago with Cleveland, allowing the New England Asswipes to celebrate a second world series title in the decade.

Of course, to haul out an old cliche, pitching will rule the day. The team with the best of it will take it. My pick to win it all is the Yankees. That is who I am rooting for this year.

jmeneghini1433
10-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Either the Phillies or Dodgers. Leaning more towards the Dodgers though for Big Jim.

akingamongstmen
10-05-2009, 09:13 AM
I voted for the Dodgers purely for Jim Thome. If they don't make it, then I'll pull for the AL Champion.

Madscout
10-05-2009, 09:38 AM
All of those teams either a) don't need more championships or b) I hate, excepting of course CO. My bet would be on the Cardinals.

asindc
10-05-2009, 10:16 AM
This is the order in which I will be rooting for the remaining teams:

Detroit (I actually don't hate them like I do everyone else in the division).

LAD (Thome).

Colorado (Contreras).

Philly (I like a lot of their players).

LAAAAAA (I am mostly neutral about them).

St. Louis (Can't really root for them. Don't care about their rivalry with Cubs).

Minny (I could flip a coin between them and NYY).
NYY (Not last by default).

Boston (Do I really need to say why?)

SephClone89
10-05-2009, 10:19 AM
If the Twins win tomorrow, here's who I'd most like to win it all in order:
StL
LAD
LAA
COL
PHI
NYY
MIN
BOS

If the Tigers win tomorrow:
StL
LAD
LAA
COL
PHI
DET
NYY
BOS

But really, I could live with anyone but the Twins, Red Sox, or Yankees.

sox1970
10-05-2009, 10:26 AM
The only team I really want to lose is Minnesota. Other than that, just be entertaining baseball.

gobears1987
10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
When it comes to Thome or Contreras winning, I have to favor Thome as Contreras has his ring from the 2005 squad. Thome still needs his ring so go Dodgers.

KnightSox
10-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Colorado.

tstrike2000
10-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Dodgers.

Rockabilly
10-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Angels

IspepAloc
10-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Dodgers for Jim.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Double:

The question was asked 'who do you want to win.'

My answer made it clear...no one.

It was appropriate for this thread and this question.

Lip

captainclutch24
10-05-2009, 01:02 PM
1. Rockies
2. Cardinals
3. Dodgers
4. Phillies
5. Angels
6. Tigers/Twins
7. Yankees
8. Red Sox

white sox bill
10-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Where's the grammar police when you need them?
Ditto, I vote for LAA or any other AL team or LAD (because of THome)IF the NL has to win it

soxfan26
10-05-2009, 01:58 PM
It's Rocktober baby! Let's go Colorado! :bandance:

Right on. The Rockies have been hard not to watch over the past 6 weeks...

SOXPHILE
10-05-2009, 02:11 PM
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1135282624885&id=093f530bf932ef790a18a696c55a641b&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sbs.utexas.edu%2fresource%2f2 005%2fBrownfield%2fphotos%2ffauna_photos%2fcardina l.jpg

downstairs
10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I know they won last year, but I consider Philly my second team. So I gotta go with the back-to-back WS wins for the Phils.

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm for the Redbirds because they are my NL team and the team of many people in Illinois south of I-80.

SoxFan1979
10-05-2009, 05:06 PM
The Yankees all the way!

AZChiSoxFan
10-05-2009, 07:09 PM
The Dodgers are my 2nd favorite team, so of course I'll be cheering for them.

pinwheels3530
10-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Dodgers over the Angels in a All L.A. World Series!

Nellie_Fox
10-05-2009, 09:36 PM
The Yankees all the way!Really? The evil empire?

Zakath
10-05-2009, 09:47 PM
1 Phillies (I'm finding it hard to pick against the defending champs)
2 Dodgers (for Thome; if he's not there, they're down at 7)
3 Cardinals
4 Halos
5 Rockies

And, depending on who wins on Tuesday:

6 Tigers
7 Yankees
8,945,306 Red Sux

or

6 Yankees
8,945,305.999998 Twins
8,945,306 Red Sux

Johnny Mostil
10-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I find it fascinating that, as of right now, the three favorite postseason teams (Dodgers, Rox, and Cards) are all National League--and it's not even close. Not only that, the fourth-favorite is a tie between another NL team (the Phils) and the Angels as the most-popular AL team (again, as of right now--only six votes each for the Phils and Angels, so this may change).

Does "league loyalty" really mean that little any more?

Zakath
10-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I find it fascinating that, as of right now, the three favorite postseason teams (Dodgers, Rox, and Cards) are all National League--and it's not even close. Not only that, the fourth-favorite is a tie between another NL team (the Phils) and the Angels as the most-popular AL team (again, as of right now--only six votes each for the Phils and Angels, so this may change).

Does "league loyalty" really mean that little any more?

The problem is is that the AL has two of the most hated teams in the history of human athletic competition in the playoffs, and then there are the ****ing Tigers and the ****ing Twins.

The Angels are the only team I'd consider cheering for in the Series from the junior circuit.

Woofer
10-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I think that it is easier for me to stomach a National League team winning, though I am an American League fan. I really dislike the Twins/Detroit, do not want the Yankees to win. I voted for the Angels because I dislike them the least. I would have to re-think this if the Dodgers made it to the WS, because I would be backing Big Jim, big time.

Johnny Mostil
10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
The problem is is that the AL has two of the most hated teams in the history of human athletic competition in the playoffs.

I should make clear I'm not judging, just curious. And, for the record, with the Sox not in it, I don't much care, though I will watch, and most likely find myself rooting for the AL team in the Series. That said, I've a question for "old-timers": was it common for Sox fans to root for the NL team over the Yankees in the '50s and '60s?

I voted for the Angels because I dislike them the least. I would have to re-think this if the Dodgers made it to the WS, because I would be backing Big Jim, big time.

I'm guessing Thome is why the Dodgers are running away with this poll, though, since he was here only four years, I wouldn't have predicted that.

chisoxjtrain
10-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I picked the Dodgers only because of Thome.

Hitmen77
10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
The Yankees all the way!

:puking:

peridot
10-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Dodgers for Thome. If they don't make it, then the Red Sox because my whole family are Red Sox fans. The only teams whose success would piss me off would be the Yankees or either of the AL Central bozos.

A good friend who is a Red Sox fan says he'll be cheering for the Yankees to beat the AL Central champ because he wants his team to take care of that beast themselves. I can't say I'd share the sentiment if I were in his shoes.

MarkZ35
10-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Dodgers because of Thome but anybody besides the Red Sox.

Thatguyoverthere
10-06-2009, 12:06 AM
1. Dodgers
2. Cardinals
3. Rockies
4. Phillies
5. Angels
6. Tigers
7. Yankees
8. Twins
9. Red Sox

I usually go with the AL, but I despise every single AL team in the playoffs this year. The Angels are the least despicable, but I still can't stand them because of the whiny bull**** from '05, though I love Mike Scioscia and I'll be rooting hard for them against the Red Sox. I'd love a Tigers/Twins-Angels ALCS just so we don't have to go through another epic Yanks-Red Sox match-up.

soxinem1
10-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Colorado

Bingo!! I love watching teams who have never won, win!!

whitesoxfan1986
10-06-2009, 12:32 AM
I am rooting for Dodgers vs Red Sox and I don't care who wins, I just hope it's a good series. These are my 2a and 2b teams. When the Sox are not in the playoffs, and either of these two teams are, I root for them. Before I get flamed for liking the Red Sox, I'll give my reason. My first Little League team was called the "Red Sox" I've kind of liked them a little bit ever since. My dad likes the Dodgers as well as the Sox, so I grew up watching them too, thus my reasoning for liking them. I've been outspoken lately against Sawx fans because I think that gloating when your team wins and being like Yankee fans where you think that "the baseball universe is not in order unless Yankees/Red Sox are WS champs" is highly annoying. Gloating is not acceptable. (The one exception was 2005) The Yankees and the Angels can go to hell.

palehozenychicty
10-06-2009, 12:54 AM
For the AL, I'm choosing the Yanks because I want to see a parade on the Canyon of Heroes.

For the NL, I want the Phils to do it again. Sorry, Big Jim.

wilburaga
10-06-2009, 12:55 PM
1) Red Sox
2) Twinkies
3) Tigers
4) Phillies
5) Cardinals
6) Rockies
7) Dodgers
8) Yankees

W

soxinem1
10-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Just please not the Red Sox or Yankees.

Anybody,
from any league,
from any divsion,
be it WC or Division winner,

BUT THEM!!!

wilburaga
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
For the AL, I'm choosing the Yanks because I want to see a parade on the Canyon of Heroes.

Ugh, just the reason I don't want the Yanks to win. I work right over the Canyon, and I think watching another Yankee celebration might kill me. I'm studying my 'Huchback of Notre Dame' DVD to see if I can pick up any hints Quasimodo might give me regarding crowd dispersal.

W

slavko
10-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Dodgers. For Thome and Torre.

SI1020
10-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I should make clear I'm not judging, just curious. And, for the record, with the Sox not in it, I don't much care, though I will watch, and most likely find myself rooting for the AL team in the Series. That said, I've a question for "old-timers": was it common for Sox fans to root for the NL team over the Yankees in the '50s and '60s?

I'm guessing Thome is why the Dodgers are running away with this poll, though, since he was here only four years, I wouldn't have predicted that. I think it was common to an extent for some Sox fans to actively cheer against the Yankees as they made their almost yearly appearance in the Fall Classic back in that era. The thought of them winning their 27th WS Championship this year leaves me less than enthralled. I know that history is not that important to many people. However, I have one of those worthless history degrees and briefly taught it. History is everything to me, and in that vein I will never pull for the Dodgers either. My worst case scenario this year is Yankees vs Dodgers, although I know the national media will be thrilled beyond words. If I have to pick a team I'll go with the Angels.

TheBigHurtST
10-06-2009, 06:40 PM
It's tough. With some good White Sox players on the team, I'm rooting for the Dodgers, but I am a St. Louis fan (Lived there for a bit and have serious family roots there) so I'm rooting for the Cards again.

Sox and Cards fan - I'm the ultimate anti-Cub fan, lol.

DumpJerry
10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
:thome:

palehozenychicty
10-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Ugh, just the reason I don't want the Yanks to win. I work right over the Canyon, and I think watching another Yankee celebration might kill me. I'm studying my 'Huchback of Notre Dame' DVD to see if I can pick up any hints Quasimodo might give me regarding crowd dispersal.

W

That's funny. :tongue:

Shoeless_Jeff
10-06-2009, 08:49 PM
In this order I root for...

1) Cardinals
2) Rockies
3) Phillies
4) Dodgers
-Starting below is where I no longer like the teams I'm listing, just the lesser of evils
5) Angels
5) Tigers
6) Twins
7) Cancelled World Series
8) Red Sox
9) Yankees

soxfan22
10-07-2009, 04:04 AM
Dodgers. It would be right if Thome got a ring

ohthosechisox
10-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm rooting for the Angels in the AL and the Rockies in the NL. If that matchup occurred, it wouldn't matter to me who won.

Marqhead
10-07-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm rooting for the Angels in the AL and the Rockies in the NL. If that matchup occurred, it wouldn't matter to me who won.

I'm in this boat. I've always like the Angel's organization and a lot of the players they have out there. The Rockies? No real reason, but it is fun to watch expansion teams win World Series while others have to wait.

asindc
10-07-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm in this boat. I've always like the Angel's organization and a lot of the players they have out there. The Rockies? No real reason, but it is fun to watch expansion teams win World Series while others have to wait.

Funny, as a Sox fan, I've always hated that because it made me sick that the Mets (twice!), the D-backs, the Marlins (twice!), the Angels, the Royals, and the Blue Jays (twice!) all had won World Series after coming into existence after 1959. In fact, after the late-season failure in 2003 and seeing the Marlins win the WS for the 2nd time in six years, I had begun to give up hope of seeing the Sox win it in my lifetime. You can say that I had grown tired of waiting.

Marqhead
10-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Funny, as a Sox fan, I've always hated that because it made me sick that the Mets (twice!), the D-backs, the Marlins (twice!), the Angels, the Royals, and the Blue Jays (twice!) all had won World Series after coming into existence after 1959. In fact, after the late-season failure in 2003 and seeing the Marlins win the WS for the 2nd time in six years, I had begun to give up hope of seeing the Sox win it in my lifetime.

I never would have said the same thing 4 years ago! :D:

The funny thing is, I've been a big fan of most of the expansion teams since I was younger (but I wasn't old enough to experience the pain of the Blue Jays). I loved the Marlins 97 and 03 squads, and loved watching the DBacks beat the Yanks in epic fashion. I have no idea how the Rockies made the playoffs, so I gotta root for the underdog.

asindc
10-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I never would have said the same thing 4 years ago! :D:

The funny thing is, I've been a big fan of most of the expansion teams since I was younger (but I wasn't old enough to experience the pain of the Blue Jays). I loved the Marlins 97 and 03 squads, and loved watching the DBacks beat the Yanks in epic fashion. I have no idea how the Rockies made the playoffs, so I gotta root for the underdog.

I hear you, I definitely feel differently about it now. The thing about Toronto for me is, at the time, I did not think of them as an expansion team winning it, since they had a team full of veterans, not young hotshots like the Marlins. The sting was from knowing the Sox was the better team.

I will be rooting for LAD or Colo to win it all (Big Jim and Contreras).

Paulwny
10-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I'll be rooting for every team playing NY.

Rockabilly
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I'll be rooting for every team playing NY.

I would never root for the Twins over the Yankes

Paulwny
10-07-2009, 01:23 PM
I would never root for the Twins over the Yankes

I've hated the yanks for over 50 yrs, my feeling for them will never change.
Why would anyone want to cheer for a team with over a $200 million pay-roll ?