PDA

View Full Version : Which MLB managers will get the postseason ax?

Viva Medias B's
10-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Now that the regular season is all but complete, which MLB managers do you think will be getting pink slips this week? I say the Mets will...

:firejerry

Soxfanspcu11
10-04-2009, 06:52 PM
You would hope! Don't the Mets have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll in the MLB?? I haven't checked out the Mets record in a little while but last time I did, they were like 12-13 games under .500.

And while it is true that money doesnt necessarily buy championships, money SHOULD buy you a record that is over .500. Or at the VERY LEAST, right at .500. And I am aware that they have had injuries but so what?? Every team has injuries at one point or another. Infact, how many people picked the Twins to win the division this year without the "real" Liriano?? Not many people I bet and yet the Twins are going to be the 2009 AL Central Champions! Thats all you really need to know about the difference between a great manager and a terrible one.

And now that I have agreed with you, lets add to your list;

The following teams need to strongly consider firing their managers;
1. Arizona (even though the have already done that once this year).
2. San Diego
3. Houston (again).
4. Baltimore (maybe they should keep doing it until they get it right).
5. Kansas City (although they might be heading in the right direction).
6. Toronto (tough call, about 50/50).

And these following teams should fire EVERYONE that is associated with the coaching staff, not just the managers. And probably getting rid of the GM's of these teams wouldn't hurt;
1. Pittsburgh
2. Cincinatti
3. Washington
4. Scrubs

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 06:54 PM
And these following teams should fire EVERYONE that is associated with the coaching staff, not just the managers. And probably getting rid of the GM's of these teams wouldn't hurt;
1. Pittsburgh
Pitt has a new GM/front office team. They need a few years to prove themselves.

soxinem1
10-04-2009, 09:58 PM
You would hope! Don't the Mets have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll in the MLB?? I haven't checked out the Mets record in a little while but last time I did, they were like 12-13 games under .500.

And while it is true that money doesnt necessarily buy championships, money SHOULD buy you a record that is over .500. Or at the VERY LEAST, right at .500. And I am aware that they have had injuries but so what?? Every team has injuries at one point or another. Infact, how many people picked the Twins to win the division this year without the "real" Liriano?? Not many people I bet and yet the Twins are going to be the 2009 AL Central Champions! Thats all you really need to know about the difference between a great manager and a terrible one.

2. San Diego
3. Houston (again).

1. Pittsburgh
2. Cincinatti
3. Washington
4. Scrubs

For a lot of these teams it will not matter, as the makeup of the teams are such that Miller Huggins or Al Lopez would have about the same luck.

However, PIT had nearly it's entire starting lineup shipped off yet still made only 73 errors all year, while giving many good young players needed experience. Many have said this in recent seasons past, myself included, but they may have finally started to turn the corner.

NYM lost over 400 games to injuries among their starters and major position players. While Manuel is no genious, it is hard to win with a AAA roster.

CIN played well down the stretch and may have finally gotten Homer Bailey to learn how to pitch. That is not a bad lineup. A few more guys emerge in 2010 and you never know, winning baseball may return there.

SD was probably one of the bigger surprises, considering the ownership issues, two Peavy trades, a one-man offense, and they finished close to the White Sox in record at a third of the cost. I think Bud Black did a nice job, better than Ozzie did. At least they showed heart and had a couple of nice streaks.

WAS already fired their manager, and I'm sure they have been hunting for months. I doubt Jim Riggleman wil be around in 2010.

CLE should have been on your list as well, and add the GM position there too.

Zisk77
10-05-2009, 12:12 PM

2. San Diego
3. Houston (again).

1. Pittsburgh
2. Cincinatti
3. Washington
4. Scrubs

The Reds just got Walt Jocketty from the cards as a GM (where he was outstanding). They probably need to give him some time.

Dick Allen
10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
I believe the Mets have already stated that Manuel will be back. I know, that doesn't necessarily mean he will be.

downstairs
10-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Does anyone have a list of the managerial openings for next year? I mean, managers already fired.

I know Cleveland, I forget the others...

Marqhead
10-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Does anyone have a list of the managerial openings for next year? I mean, managers already fired.

I know Cleveland, I forget the others...

Houston.

ewokpelts
10-05-2009, 02:29 PM
florida possibly. sounds like loria's acting like an idiot again.....

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2009, 03:49 PM
florida possibly. sounds like loria's acting like an idiot again.....

Fredi Gonzalez leads the Fighting Fish to a winning record and second place in the NL East, something remarkable given how the Marlins are run, and they want to get rid of him?

LINK (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/baseball/florida-marlins/story/1266487.html)

:scratch:

Twins_Morneau
10-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Cubs for sure, at this rate they will suck for another 200 years. Not that I mind.:cool:

Domeshot17
10-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I dont think Lou has done anything different then Ozzie....

2007 Cubs make playoffs and lose
2007 Sox Suck

2008 Cubs make playoffs, lose again in round 1
2008 Sox make playoffs, lose in round 1

2009 Cubs have monster payroll, finish over .500, miss playoffs, disappointing season
2009 Sox cut payroll but are still pretty high, finish under .500, miss playoffs, disappointing season

soxinem1
10-05-2009, 06:11 PM
NYM announced changes to the coaching staff, but it looks like Jerry Manuel is staying. For at least the start of 2010 anyway.

WAS, HOU, CLE, all need managers.

TOR may be making a change, depending on who you listen too.

Fact is, when a new GM is brought in chances are the manager will be replaced eventually. The GM usually wants his own guy. That is a prime reason Cito and Bud Black might be hitting the road.

Medford Bobby
10-05-2009, 08:00 PM
The D-Backs have A. J Hinch signed for like at least 5 years. He was player personnel management guy who is cheap for a club that will be rebuilding for a while...:o:

Zakath
10-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Pitt has a new GM/front office team. They need a few years to prove themselves.

They're just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic there.

Frontman
10-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Personally, if I was running Detroit; I'd have Leyland's head on a platter by now.

He has a .529 record with the Tigers; but a lifetime record of .496. His team, while talented; has wasted not one, but two post-seasons on poor fundamentals. Dropped hits, overthrown bags, can't sell being hit with a baseball.....

He won't go; but this belief that he's an incredible manager isn't there.

Soxfanspcu11
10-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I dont think Lou has done anything different then Ozzie....

2007 Cubs make playoffs and lose
2007 Sox Suck

2008 Cubs make playoffs, lose again in round 1
2008 Sox make playoffs, lose in round 1

2009 Cubs have monster payroll, finish over .500, miss playoffs, disappointing season
2009 Sox cut payroll but are still pretty high, finish under .500, miss playoffs, disappointing season

I know that you are comparing seasons since Lou got to the scrubs but you are leaving out a very important year for Ozzie. So maybe it has been similar since 2007, but Ozzie has been here a bit longer and his accomplishments in the 3 years prior to '07 need to be factored in as well.

soltrain21
10-09-2009, 12:47 PM
I know that you are comparing seasons since Lou got to the scrubs but you are leaving out a very important year for Ozzie. So maybe it has been similar since 2007, but Ozzie has been here a bit longer and his accomplishments in the 3 years prior to '07 need to be factored in as well.

Meh. Winning the World Series five years ago doesn't really do anything for me in terms of keeping a manager around. I like Ozzie and don't want to see him get fired - but I don't think it's wise to factor what he did five years ago. Plenty of World Series managers got the axe. Hell, the 2001 winner is on the broadcast team on the other side of town.

tstrike2000
10-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Manuel should be let go and Cito Gaston, probably. It sounds like the clubhouse in Toronto isn't all onboard with Gaston, although some of that may be Ricciardi's fault but he's gone anyway. The club to our north at least needs to get rid of Hendry who's just really not that good of a GM.