PDA

View Full Version : In memory of our 2009 White Sox

guillensdisciple
10-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Well, the season has come to an end, and it seems like I will have to change my signature.

Even though I gave up about two weeks ago, losing the baseball season is very painful.

The 2009 White Sox were a nightmare to me as a fan, but I don't want to create another thread spewing hate and vile about the disasters that came throughout this season.

Rather, I want to say thank you to the White Sox for being the White Sox. Thank you for being my team, and thank you for giving me the good as well as the bad.

All of us are going to remember certain things from this year- whether bad or good, but the fact that there are memories makes it a beautiful thing.

Thanks 2009 White Sox- it was a blast:gulp:.

Now- here is to 2010!:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

hi im skot
10-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Bummer of a season overall, but we saw some pretty cool things this year.

No matter how much they may have pissed me off this season, they're still my team. I'm already counting down the days till 2010.

BleacherBandit
10-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Wish we could have gotten just one more win. 79-83 looks so much worse than 80-82 for some reason. But I'm just splitting hairs for no reason. The Sox should be terrific next year.

Lip Man 1
10-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Guillen:

I'm already trying to forget the 2009 season, hopefully I'll be able to do it as well as the 2007 farce.

Lip

Noneck
10-04-2009, 06:13 PM
They were what I expected them to be and unfortunately didn't surprise me at all. But because of being in a horrible division they stayed in the hunt longer than I expected. I am hoping for a better years coming up.

TommyJohn
10-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Is it me, or did this season just fly by? Seriously, it just seemed to be over in no time. I swear the older you get, the faster time goes by.

tacosalbarojas
10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Is it me, or did this season just fly by? Seriously, it just seemed to be over in no time. I swear the older you get, the faster time goes by.
Couldn't agree more.

GoGoCrede
10-04-2009, 08:32 PM
See you next season, as always, Sox. Hoping to attend even more games next season.

I'll miss the Cell. :whiner:

See you next year, Gavin. I WILL attend a game you pitch next season.

Waysouthsider
10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Its age......growing up the season lasted forever, eh?

Seems like Spring Training was yesterday and I was psyched up by Jose's remarkable recovery...figured if that had turned out well we were in great shape!

:(::(::(::(::(:

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2009, 08:50 PM
There's nowhere to go but up, right? :wink:
Here's to the 2010 Chicago White Sox! :cheers:

twinsuck
10-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Only a 182 more days until the Sox home opener!!! :D: :bandance:

ChiSoxGirl
10-04-2009, 10:28 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Absolutely!!! I feel like we were all just complaining about Opening Day being snowed out and here we are six months later- almost to the day- laying the 2009 season to rest. Why doesn't the off-season go by this quickly?! :whiner: I hate the last game of the season.

BoysMom3
10-04-2009, 10:29 PM

This is so, so true.

Here's to 2010! I'm already sad baseball is over.

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Why doesn't the off-season go by this quickly?!

That, ChisoxGirl, is the million dollar question!

BleacherBandit
10-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Here's to the 2010 Chicago White Sox! :cheers:

Please! Don't jinx them! :redneck

soxinem1
10-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Absolutely!!! I feel like we were all just complaining about Opening Day being snowed out and here we are six months later- almost to the day- laying the 2009 season to rest. Why doesn't the off-season go by this quickly?! :whiner: I hate the last game of the season.

Because there is not a game on a near-daily basis. Being accustomed to this for six months definitely presents a void when it stops, so I know how you feel, even after a painful season like 2009. :whiner:

Noneck
10-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Because there is not a game on a near-daily basis. Being accustomed to this for six months definitely presents a void when it stops, so I know how you feel, even after a painful season like 2009. :whiner:

Not only the game itself but the thoughts, reading and posting on the board. It makes the 6 months go by very slowly.

Oh plus the 6 months of crap weather.

thomas35forever
10-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Unlike the end of last season which ended with me satisfied with a division championship, I don't feel satisfied with this season at all, but I have cause to hope for next season. We can't look back on everything that went wrong this season because no one wants to be a Debbie Downer. It's best to stay positive and not second-guess our GM, because I think he will be a lot more aggressive this offseason than last. It's the only way we'll win in 2010. That said, I wish Kenny the very best during the fall and long winter and I await Opening Day already.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2009, 11:26 PM
If that were the case, we'd be in the place where the Royals are right now...Things could've been far worse this year, yet far better.

Hopefully the bullpen is able to get some help next year, as I think that's the main problem we had this year.

guillensdisciple
10-04-2009, 11:50 PM
I am going to miss everything- going to the games, having something to whine/ cheer about here at WSI, and knowing that I have something to watch when I was home.

Now, I have to go through the stone age of WSI or the damn rumor mills.

Last year was my first experience with that, and I don't want to, but it seems like you get sucked into all the rumors.

Oh well, let the countdown to 2010 begin.

skobabe8
10-05-2009, 12:03 AM
See you in Glendale, boys!

Less than 6 months!

TheVulture
10-05-2009, 12:24 AM
The season was looking like a real bummer, but the way Freddy and Peavy pitched the last few weeks has really taken the edge off for me. I for one am looking forward to 2010 with the best rotation the Sox have had going into any off-season I remember.

Noneck
10-05-2009, 12:32 AM
I for one am looking forward to 2010 with the best rotation the Sox have had going into any off-season I remember.

I don't know your age but 84 had quite a staff to look forward to. Dotson, Hoyt, Bannister, Seaver and Burns.

Hope things work out better for 10 than 84.

TheVulture
10-05-2009, 12:43 AM
I don't know your age but 84 had quite a staff to look forward to. Dotson, Hoyt, Bannister, Seaver and Burns.

Hope things work out better for 10 than 84.

Oh yeah, I guess I momentarily blocked that out. None the less, I'm still looking forward to it.

BleacherBandit
10-05-2009, 12:55 AM
I can feel a distant breeze.

Are they the rumor mills?

A feeling, a proposal, laughter...

guillensdisciple
10-05-2009, 01:24 AM
I can feel a distant breeze.

Are they the rumor mills?

A feeling, a proposal, laughter...

Is this considered the dead period of WSI?

southside rocks
10-05-2009, 08:21 AM

I have baseball on pretty much all the time from ST through the WS -- XM radio, MLB Extra Innings, I watch and listen to baseball every day. It's awful, every year, when that ends ... I don't follow any other sports closely, so I can't just switch to the Bulls or the Hawks, and I miss baseball and then the crummy weather slams Chicago ... :whiner:

And I miss going to the Cell and the sights and sounds and smells of the park, and scoring the games and talking to all the fans around me. :whiner:

This looking ahead to winter is not a fun time of year!

g0g0
10-05-2009, 08:42 AM
2009 was the year of so many "coulds" but ended with a lot of "shoulds." I'm really looking forward to 2010 with the pitching staff and a few offseason moves to bolster their defense/hitting.

akingamongstmen
10-05-2009, 09:10 AM
2009 was a disappointment in many ways, but a couple of things will stick with me:

-Buerhle's perfect game (we may never see another from a White Sox pitcher).
-Beckham's emergence WAY ahead of schedule.
-The Peavy deal. This is going to turn out to be huge for us.
-The Rios waiver claim. A gutsy move with a major reward potential. I'm optimistic.

On a personal note: My wife and I brought our baby girl to her first Sox game! We were there to witness Buerhle's start after his perfect game, and for a few innings we thought we were witnessing something truly historic. It's time for a fresh generation of Sox fans to start off a new decade of White Sox baseball!

2009 was full of missed opportunities, but I'll miss it all the same. Bring on Spring Training!

Mr.Creosote
10-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I wasn't disappointed at all this year. After '05 my expectations are lowered and we just go to have fun.

I had a great time this season. Went to 15 home games and they won at least ten of those. Went to two in Milwaukee (won both) and two in Detroit (split).

We took neighbors, friends, and relatives to all of them. I'm lucky to have a wife that's into the Sox as much, maybe more, as I am. She's the one encouraging me to get more and more games every year.

We enjoyed the resurgence of Scottie, Freddie, and even Jose for a while. Nice to see Beckham and Flowers progressing. We wish Big Jim the best of luck in LA. Good luck to JD and Bobby wherever you sign.

So...from Section 140...thanks for the great season and have a great winter!

Moses_Scurry
10-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Not looking forward to checking WSI and finding no new posts in the clubhouse and threads like "what's your favorite toothpaste?" in the Parking Lot.

PhillipsBubba
10-05-2009, 02:34 PM
To the 2009 White Sox...

So long, farewell...don't let the door hit you in your underachieving asses.

ChiSoxGirl
10-05-2009, 09:31 PM

The void is already present and it's barely been 30 hours since our season ended! :o:

Not only the game itself but the thoughts, reading and posting on the board. It makes the 6 months go by very slowly.
Oh plus the 6 months of crap weather.

:whiner:

I am going to miss everything- going to the games, having something to whine/ cheer about here at WSI, and knowing that I have something to watch when I was home.

Now, I have to go through the stone age of WSI or the damn rumor mills.

Last year was my first experience with that, and I don't want to, but it seems like you get sucked into all the rumors.

Oh well, let the countdown to 2010 begin.

I think this is the worst part for me. I watch two TV shows- a soap opera and one show on Tuesday nights- and not having anything to listen to or watch every night is very tough to readjust to, especially now that I'm in my new place and still getting used to all of the silence!

I have baseball on pretty much all the time from ST through the WS -- XM radio, MLB Extra Innings, I watch and listen to baseball every day. It's awful, every year, when that ends ... I don't follow any other sports closely, so I can't just switch to the Bulls or the Hawks, and I miss baseball and then the crummy weather slams Chicago ... :whiner:

And I miss going to the Cell and the sights and sounds and smells of the park, and scoring the games and talking to all the fans around me. :whiner:

This looking ahead to winter is not a fun time of year!

OMG, everything about your post is so true! This is so not a good time of the year. Not even the fact that my birthday is in October helps this feeling... especially this year! :mg:

nsolo
10-05-2009, 10:42 PM
That, ChisoxGirl, is the million dollar question!

It is because of winter. Winter sucks. The only time it doesn't REALLY suck is the few times the Sun does manage to shine, which in s.w lower Michigan is a rare occasion. It's dark when I go to work, and the same when I go home. So even when the Sun does shine, it makes little difference.

As a sidebar to the original thought, a nice summer night at the Cell, win or lose, with a cold one and a dog with ONLY mustard, talking with the crowd, cheering and booing, beats the pants off any winter night.

I've been a Sox fan for 50 years, and this season drive me nuts more than any other. Must be the age. Still, I already miss my White Sox.

ChiSoxGirl
10-05-2009, 11:01 PM
It is because of winter. Winter sucks. The only time it doesn't REALLY suck is the few times the Sun does manage to shine, which in s.w lower Michigan is a rare occasion. It's dark when I go to work, and the same when I go home. So even when the Sun does shine, it makes little difference.

As a sidebar to the original thought, a nice summer night at the Cell, win or lose, with a cold one and a dog with ONLY mustard, talking with the crowd, cheering and booing, beats the pants off any winter night.

I've been a Sox fan for 50 years, and this season drive me nuts more than any other. Must be the age. Still, I already miss my White Sox.

OMG... THIS!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

chisoxfanatic
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it when it's dark out when I drive to work! There's a sense of calming that I get, and it helps me gradually acclimate myself to the day. I dread the spring time in that regard, because I know it'll already be partially light out when I'm driving to work.

But, on the other hand, I love when it is in the 90s and I am in the shade at Sox games. Nothing is better than intensive heat when you're not in direct sunlight.

hawkjt
10-06-2009, 12:17 PM
So today I am left sadly contemplating the dismal prospect of watching two very mediocre teams that the Sox should have wiped out,play for the AL Central Title...our title. I can only hope that Cabrera awakens from his drunken stupor and hits a homer to beat the Twins in the 10th.

As for this season, I can say there were some bright spots as mentioned, Gordo is the best prospect since....last year with Carlos and Alexei...but seriously, Gordo is another huge building block with the other two, to a new Sox team, one that holds the 2005 as a distant memory. Sad but life is about change and next year, AJ,PK,Freddie,Bad Bobbie and MB wll be the last of the 2005 Mohicans. One more time for old times sake,guys.

Personally, I attended 18 games...pretty good...but alas, my record was a very pedestrian 7-11...not the convenience store,either...most losses I have ever seen in a season...do better next year,please Sox...stay safe everyone.

Frankfan4life
10-06-2009, 02:16 PM

This looking ahead to winter is not a fun time of year!I feel the same way. Like you, baseball is my favorite sport.

It was fun last season when the Sox were fighting for the division title. I hope the 2010 Sox make the post season and I hope Buerhle does not throw a no-hitter.