PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 10/4 Dankfully 2009 Is Done, and Justin Time For DET Post Game Thread

soxinem1
10-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Verlander pitches tough when needed and keeps the Tigers alive, while Ty Cobb Kubel does the same for MIN.

Seems like we set a team record with 355 GIDP's this year. Fitting to end the season with one.

JermaineDye05
10-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh well, we made it interesting at least and got a glimpse of a promising 2010 season.

Take it to the Twinkies, please. I cannot bear to see them chance their way into the post season.

thomas35forever
10-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Only four months until pitchers and catchers report.

DirtySox
10-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Quite sad to see the season end. We will have the 13th pick next year in the draft.

I'm pleased to have a game 163 to watch. I hope Detroit keeps up the choke act.

VMSNS
Fitting to end the season with one.

I was thinking the same thing. Ended our season by failing to sweep on a Sunday with Alex Rios grounding into a double play to finish the game.

DumpJerry
Oh well, we made it interesting at least and got a glimpse of a promising 2010 season.

Take it to the Twinkies, please. I cannot bear to see them chance their way into the post season.
Don't worry about the outcome of the game on Tuesday. The Yankees will be in the WS to face Jim Thome.

MarkZ35
10-04-2009, 03:37 PM
We sure do ground into a lot of DP's. The worst part is 90% never even seem close at 1st. At least we were in it for a while this season which makes it much more fun. Overall not a very good team this year but the offseason should go by much faster with the thoughts of the starting pitching we'll have next season and the Blackhawks.

The Critic
10-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm never happy to see the baseball season end, even when the Sox disappoint like they did this year.
Oh well, here's hoping the Blackhawks keep me happy until the Sox come back in 2010!

SoxGirl4Life
10-04-2009, 03:38 PM
And we didn't have to watch the Tigers celebrate anything.

thomas35forever
10-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Yep. At least we can take that away.

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 03:41 PM
We sure do ground into a lot of DP's. The worst part is 90% never even seem close at 1st. At least we were in it for a while this season which makes it much more fun. Overall not a very good team this year but the offseason should go by much faster with the thoughts of the starting pitching we'll have next season and the Blackhawks.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/chicago-bears-logo.jpg
and
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UZImdYAiry8/SSDvamh6yDI/AAAAAAAAKUc/OBQuX9DDN9Y/s400/chicago_bulls_logo.jpg
are chopped liver?

thomas35forever
10-04-2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/chicago-bears-logo.jpg
and
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UZImdYAiry8/SSDvamh6yDI/AAAAAAAAKUc/OBQuX9DDN9Y/s400/chicago_bulls_logo.jpg
are chopped liver?
Honestly. I don't think the Bulls ever get any respect around here. Who's one more titles than any Chicago team in the last 20 years?

kingpin_rcs
10-04-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm a little torn but I think I will be rooting for the Tigers on Tuesday. That dome needs to no longer be a part of baseball - especially post-season baseball. Plus, I really, really hate the Twins. I would be great to seem them lose game 163 two years in a row.

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Honestly. I don't think the Bulls ever get any respect around here. Who's one more titles than any Chicago team in the last 20 years?
:woo-woo
How many guesses do I get?

Soxman219
10-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Go tigers on tuesday.

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm thinking I'm pulling for the Kitties because they play baseball the way God intended: outdoors.

One of the guys doing the PBP for the Bears game said that the Dome is a horrible place for baseball.

Soxman219
10-04-2009, 03:47 PM

The Bulls are a year away from being a contender in the East. But that doesn't mean we can't do anything this year!:bandance:

SoxGirl4Life
10-04-2009, 03:47 PM
go tigers!

russ99
10-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Only four months until pitchers and catchers report.

Brrr...

Only 1 month until the GM meetings here in Chicago, and 2 months until the winter meetings, in Indianapolis.

I wanna see "wheeler-dealer" Kenny this offseason not "50 Cents" Kenny we saw last year.

thomas35forever
10-04-2009, 03:49 PM
The Bulls are a year away from being a contender in the East. But that doesn't mean we can't do anything this year!:bandance:
Yep! The Bulls are easily my second favorite team since their success was such a major part of my childhood. Sure, we lost Gordon and might not make the playoffs this year, but if Taj Gibson's performance on Friday is any indication, we could see him on the All-Rookie team at the end of the season.

DirtySox
10-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Brrr...

Only 1 month until the GM meetings here in Chicago, and 2 months until the winter meetings, in Indianapolis.

I wanna see "wheeler-dealer" Kenny this offseason not "50 Cents" Kenny we saw last year.

Arizona Fall League in 9 days.

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Danks' new contract in four weeks.

Soxman219
10-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Celebrate a Bears win in 5 minutes!

SephClone89
10-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I like the Bulls almost as much as I like the Bears.

The Hawks are cool and all, but hockey just isn't my sport. It's firmly my fifth choice.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2009, 04:22 PM
and
are chopped liver?
Naw...But Hawky's just the best sport in the world!

If the Tigers lose in the tie-breaker, they have us to thank for making them even play the tie-breaker.

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Naw...But Hawky's just the best sport in the world!
Who is this Hawky guy who is such a good sport and why should we care about his personality?:redneck

CanBuehrleWait
10-04-2009, 04:34 PM
I like the Bulls almost as much as I like the Bears.

The Hawks are cool and all, but hockey just isn't my sport. It's firmly my fifth choice.

Agreed.

White City
10-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm rooting for a rotation order of Peavy-Danks-Floyd-Buehrle-Garcia, with Thornton closing, Carrasco the set-up man, and Hudson the long man. Seems to me that would hold up the best over the season and put the least stress on our pen.

Hopefully Kenny has a plan for fixing this lousy offense.

SOXSINCE'70
10-04-2009, 04:44 PM

You don't deal for salaries like Peavy and Rios without a payoff. "Trader Ken" will be looking for pieces to add .
Many teams will say it next year, the White Sox should be one of them :

2010- WORLD SERIES OR BUST

minutia
10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
when is the coin toss for the tiebreaker?

SOXSINCE'70
10-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Hopefully Kenny has a plan for fixing this lousy offense.

According to the sCrUB-Une, Greg Walker will be spending some time with Alex Rios and TCQ this off season.
I hope so.If those two get back on track, the offense may look different in 2010 ( I hope).

Twins_Morneau
10-04-2009, 04:49 PM

They changed it, season series now.

minutia
10-04-2009, 04:50 PM
They changed it, season series now.
So who gets home field?

DirtySox
So who gets home field?

The team who won the season series. The Twins.

chisoxfanatic
Huh? There is no coin toss. Head-to-head record determines who gets HFA, which the Twins have.

Twins_Morneau
Its at the Dome on Tuesday afternoon.

SOXSINCE'70
10-04-2009, 04:52 PM
So who gets home field?

Twinkies were 11-7 against the Tiggers, IIRC.

That means Don Kelly should beware if he has to play LF at the TwinkieDome. He lost a ball in the lights there earlier this year,
the Tiggers lost a lead and a game.:D:

minutia
10-04-2009, 04:52 PM
The team who won the season series. The Twins.
Damn. I hate the Twins. Oh well there last hurrah in the dome I suppose.

russ99
10-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Damn. I hate the Twins. Oh well there last hurrah in the dome I suppose.

That would put a nice capper on the season, with the Twins blowing their last game in the Baggie dome (sending them to the cold outside) and losing their second straight 1-game playoff...

But we'll see. Who's starting for the Tigers?

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2009, 05:18 PM
That would put a nice capper on the season, with the Twins blowing their last game in the Baggie dome (sending them to the cold outside) and losing their second straight 1-game playoff...

But we'll see. Who's starting for the Tigers?
I wouldn't be surprised if Edwin Jackson starts for the Tigers, as I highly doubt they'd want to put their entire season in the hands of Jerrod Washburn.

sox1970
10-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Porcello vs Baker

palehozenychicty
10-04-2009, 05:23 PM

Part of that has to do with the fact that people hate the NBA for several reasons. Nevertheless, the Bulls should be far more respected.

As for the Sox, the starting pitching will be excellent next season. They need to clean up the defense, outfield, and bullpen in order to reach the postseason. A new hitting coach would help, but you can't have everything.

JermaineDye05
10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Porcello vs Baker

If Porcello wins that game, White Sox fans can kiss that ROY for Gordon Beckham goodbye.

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Edwin Jackson starts for the Tigers, as I highly doubt they'd want to put their entire season in the hands of Jerrod Washburn.

If Leyland starts Jackson, he should be fired before the game even starts. Jackson has been pretty bad since the ASB. Your post points out the Achilles Heel of the Tigers this year: their only solid dependable starter all season has been Verlander. Washburn was a 100% bust. Porcello started slow, but I'm not completely sold on him yet. This is why if Peavy had said yes to the trade in June and not July, we'd be posting about where we're watching the road games for the ALDS right now.

Porcello vs Baker

Good matchup, hard to call.

If Porcello wins that game, White Sox fans can kiss that ROY for Gordon Beckham goodbye.
Nope. Votes are due before the game.

soxfan22
10-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Hope the Tigers win it in the 9th on Tuesday.

Here's to next season, may 2010 be a White Sox year. I'm a rookie from London but I'm here for good.

Go Sox.............Good Times / Bad Times...............Go Sox!

sox1970
10-04-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't think Beckham is going to win anyway. Porcello would get my vote. Bailey, Andrus, and Porcello will get a lot of votes. Phil Rogers said if he had a vote, he would give Adenhart a 3rd place vote. :rolleyes:

Dibbs
10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
I just didn't want to see a celebration against us. Glad to see a one game playoff, but GO TIGERS!

wassagstdu
10-04-2009, 05:41 PM
It took the best that their best had to beat us, plus a great play by Granderson.
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6876195&c_id=cws
All in all a decent way to end the season considering that nothing was on the line for the Sox but their pride (and maybe a few season ticket orders). Lillibridge should have been PTC. I like what I have seen from him lately.

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't think Beckham is going to win anyway. Porcello would get my vote. Bailey, Andrus, and Porcello will get a lot of votes. Phil Rogers said if he had a vote, he would give Adenhart a 3rd place vote. :rolleyes:
Under your scenario, Porcello won't get it.

Porcello did not spend his rookie year learning a new position.

Porcello did not get the stamp of approval from Derek Jeter.

Procello did not get the media buzz Gordon got. Part of this was the fact he was expected to be Cy Young out of the gate and stumbled for a month or so. When Gordon got called up, there were no expectations of him (remember Ozzie's reaction?).

JermaineDye05
10-04-2009, 05:53 PM

Procello did not get the media buzz Gordon got. Part of this was the fact he was expected to be Cy Young out of the gate and stumbled for a month or so. When Gordon got called up, there were no expectations of him (remember Ozzie's reaction?).

No expectations? Peter Gammons picked him to win the ROY before the season even started.

sox1970
10-04-2009, 05:55 PM

I hope Beckham wins, don't get me wrong. I just don't think he will. Porcello winning 14 games for a team in it until the end will probably get it done. And if Beckham was up on opening day, I think he would have ran away with it.

samurai_sox
10-04-2009, 05:59 PM

I've stopped caring about Beckham get ROY. It usually comes with a huge sophomore slump.

Lip Man 1
10-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Just a few thoughts:

1. Thank God this season is over.

2. I wish all Sox fans a happy, safe, healthy off season. After this frustrating, aggravating, disappointing year we all need some time to relax, and recharge.

3. Mark Gonzales' postgame story has an interesting comment that the feeling in the clubhouse is that Kenny won't make wholesale changes but that he could make a big splash with a free agent signing.

We'll see, but there's work to be done, changes like it or not are needed, it's Kenny's job to make them not sit out another off season while attendance continues to drop.

Lip

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I hope Beckham wins, don't get me wrong. I just don't think he will. Porcello winning 14 games for a team in it until the end will probably get it done. And if Beckham was up on opening day, I think he would have ran away with it.
A rookie winning 14 games for a team like the Royals or Indians would win it. A rookie winning 14 games for a team that won close to 90 games does not look as impressive. This is why I think Greinke is getting Cy this year.

sox1970
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
A rookie winning 14 games for a team like the Royals or Indians would win it. A rookie winning 14 games for a team that won close to 90 games does not look as impressive. This is why I think Greinke is getting Cy this year.

I disagree.

And I hope they extend the voting until after Tuesday, since that's technically a regular season game. Some voters may take that into consideration for ROY, MVP, and Manager of the Year.

Big D
10-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I haven't seen one single national writer indicate that they're voting for Beckham for ROY in the various awards columns that have been published the last few weeks. Maybe there are a few that I've missed, but I haven't seen any. So whether he deserves it or not, I'd be very surprised if he wins. I think we can console ourselves with the knowledge that Beckham probably has a higher upside than any rookie in either league (with the possible exception of Elvis Andrus).

tstrike2000
10-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Like many, I hate Minnesota and hope they don't make it Tuesday. Like Dump stated, it won't matter, the Yankees will wipe the floor with either of them.

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 07:22 PM
I disagree.

And I hope they extend the voting until after Tuesday, since that's technically a regular season game. Some voters may take that into consideration for ROY, MVP, and Manager of the Year.
Will one more game cost Mark Teixeira the MVP? Nope.

GoGoCrede
10-04-2009, 07:37 PM

+1

Thanks, Sox, for being such a fun way to spend the time. I look forward to winter meetings falling on the exact same week as finals again.:cool: Then, pitchers and catchers.

slavko
10-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Huh? One what?

According to the sCrUB-Une, Greg Walker will be spending some time with Alex Rios and TCQ this off season.
I hope so.If those two get back on track, the offense may look different in 2010 ( I hope).
What does Walker have to do with getting hitters back on track?

It's safe to kiss right now.

DickAllen72
10-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, at the beginning of this season I posted that the Sox would probably win about 79 games and was told I was "full of ****." :cool:

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Well, at the beginning of this season I posted that the Sox would probably win about 79 games and was told I was "full of ****." :cool:
Here's your cookie:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_53oMB4-fxXM/SVZZdJntnPI/AAAAAAAAAAM/vXEtrdBFtqI/s1600-R/cookie.gif
Don't eat it all at once.

Domeshot17
10-04-2009, 11:49 PM
It is what it is

If Porcello was on the Sox, we would say he is ROTY. If Gordon was on the tigers, we would say he is undeserving.

Personally, Gordon not playing a full season will cost him. 270 14 63 doesn't win it, even with a respectable but not fantastic 807 ops.

Porcello was 14-9 (very good) with a respectable but not fantastic 4.04 ERA.

Its a tough year, this year there wasn't a rookie standout. No rookie came out and just amazed all year. Everyone was kinda like Beckham, good, perfectly fine as a rookie, but nothing screaming great.

Last year baseball was kind of spoiled by Evan Longoria. Hell, Alexei (well Alexei last year, not the one we got this year) probably wins it against this group.

Hitmen77
10-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Well, now that we're done playing a playoff contending team, Ozzie can start giving Flowers some more at bats beginning this week......oh, wait a minute.

TommyJohn
10-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Here's your cookie:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_53oMB4-fxXM/SVZZdJntnPI/AAAAAAAAAAM/vXEtrdBFtqI/s1600-R/cookie.gif
Thank you. I love it when people make negative predictions, then brag to everyone about how they were right. Predicting failure is easy.

asindc
10-05-2009, 10:04 AM

I will give you partial credit, as the trouble with the 4th and 5th starters was foreseeable. However, unless you truly foresaw Dye hitting below .200 for the second half and TCQ missing two months of the season, I have a difficult time seeing how you looked at the team at the beginning of the season and predicting a losing record.

Chez
10-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I haven't seen one single national writer indicate that they're voting for Beckham for ROY in the various awards columns that have been published the last few weeks. Maybe there are a few that I've missed, but I haven't seen any. So whether he deserves it or not, I'd be very surprised if he wins. I think we can console ourselves with the knowledge that Beckham probably has a higher upside than any rookie in either league (with the possible exception of Elvis Andrus).

I agree. I think Beckham will finish 3d behind Andrus and Porcello but will go on to have a better career.

soxinem1
10-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Here's your cookie:

That is too funny! I was ready to do the same thing, except I was going to use this guy:

http://adevotedreader.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/cookie1.jpg

Seriously, that's like saying you knew someone was going to die. Why come across proud like you are some sort of genie or psychic?

But like I said about the season Jason Marquis was having pre ASB: Can you do it again?????

It's Dankerific
10-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Yes, its a much better fan that just predicts the Sox will win and then ignores/rationalizes any of their problems for the year until they are mathematically eliminated. At which time, all the bad fans who were worried are proven just to be *******s.

Its kinda like telling a kid there is no Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy.

canOcorn
10-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Yes, its a much better fan that just predicts the Sox will win and then ignores/rationalizes any of their problems for the year until they are mathematically eliminated. At which time, all the bad fans who were worried are proven just to be *******s.

Its kinda like telling a kid there is no Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy.

Don't you know it's too early and much too dark cloudlike to make negative comments before 8/15, but come 8/16 it's all hindsight? :wink:

DickAllen72
10-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I will give you partial credit, as the trouble with the 4th and 5th starters was foreseeable. However, unless you truly foresaw Dye hitting below .200 for the second half and TCQ missing two months of the season, I have a difficult time seeing how you looked at the team at the beginning of the season and predicting a losing record.
I didn't foresee Dye hitting below .200 in the second half, but I also didn't foresee Gordon Beckham stepping in to take over at 3B the way he did. I also didn't foresee Scott Podsednik making his triumphant return. So things balance out. But going into the season with Dewayne Wise as the starting CFer and leading off, Josh Fields starting at 3B and a bench consisting of Betemit and Lillibridge made me think 79 wins was about right.

And to be honest, after the Sox got Peavy and Rios, I thought they had a great shot at winning the division. So no, I don't pretend to be psychic.

And to those who think I'm proud, or bragging etc., not so. I'm just amused recalling how one particular poster said I was "full of ****" when I said the Sox, as then currently constructed would probably win about 79 games. I also said that if they improved in CF and leadoff they could play a couple of games over .500 and perhaps even contend in this weak division.

When I tried to rationally explain my comments to the poster who called me "full of ****" he responded by saying that I was "completely full of ****!"

So, I was just thinking of that particular exchange when I mentioned that my 79 win prediction was greeted with me being told I was full of ****. Life is funny that way. :smile:

It's Dankerific
10-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I didn't foresee Dye hitting below .200 in the second half, but I also didn't foresee Gordon Beckham stepping in to take over at 3B the way he did. I also didn't foresee Scott Podsednik making his triumphant return. So things balance out. But going into the season with Dewayne Wise as the starting CFer and leading off, Josh Fields starting at 3B and a bench consisting of Betemit and Lillibridge made me think 79 wins was about right.

And to be honest, after the Sox got Peavy and Rios, I thought they had a great shot at winning the division. So no, I don't pretend to be psychic.

And to those who think I'm proud, or bragging etc., not so. I'm just amused recalling how one particular poster said I was "full of ****" when I said the Sox, as then currently constructed would probably win about 79 games. I also said that if they improved in CF and leadoff they could play a couple of games over .500 and perhaps even contend in this weak division.

When I tried to rationally explain my comments to the poster who called me "full of ****" he responded by saying that I was "completely full of ****!"

So, I was just thinking of that particular exchange when I mentioned that my 79 win prediction was greeted with me being told I was full of ****. Life is funny that way. :smile:

you may have been 100% right. but I am 100% sure that particular poster is a much better fan of the White Sox.

PS. I really appreciate your analysis.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Dank:

Why is that other fan better, because they don't live on cloud 9?

This team was mediocre at best and a lot of fans said basically the same thing. I thought they'd win 84 games, does that make me any better?

I hate this either / or attitude by some. "By God if you don't think the Sox are going to win 100 games every year you are a piece of garbage!"

Dick felt there were issues he was concerned about and didn't think they'd do well, it turns out his approach was realistic. I don't condemn him for it nor do I think he's a bad fan.

If you have to blame some one for this crap year blame the players and the G.M.

Lip

DickAllen72
10-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Dank:

Why is that other fan better, because they don't live on cloud 9?

This team was mediocre at best and a lot of fans said basically the same thing. I thought they'd win 84 games, does that make me any better?

I hate this either / or attitude by some. "By God if you don't think the Sox are going to win 100 games every year you are a piece of garbage!"

Dick felt there were issues he was concerned about and didn't think they'd do well, it turns out his approach was realistic. I don't condemn him for it nor do I think he's a bad fan.

If you have to blame some one for this crap year blame the players and the G.M.

Lip
I think Dankerific was just kidding around.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start anything here. I think we're all good loyal Sox fans here or else we wouldn't waste our time arguing/discussing the Sox so much. Even the guy who called me full of **** is probably a good loyal sox fan and I'll bet if we all ever met we'd all get along great.

Internet message boards tend to bring out the worst in people sometimes.

Anyway, I look forward to some interesting Hot Stove discussions for the next six months!

DickAllen72
10-05-2009, 06:51 PM
PS. I really appreciate your analysis.
Thanks. I appreciate yours as well. :cheers:

It's Dankerific
10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Lip: I was just trying to get with the program.

Dick: You get my drift

Dank: At least you picked a pitcher to name yourself after...

Nellie_Fox
10-05-2009, 09:33 PM
The problem is that it's easy to be negative and then either loudly proclaiming how right you were, or how happy you are to have been wrong. Recently somebody even bragged that they do that because it's a no-lose situation for them. So you were right. So what? So no one would listen. So what? What did you expect them to do if they had listened? Storm Kenny's office?

It's Dankerific
10-06-2009, 01:05 AM
The problem is that it's easy to be negative and then either loudly proclaiming how right you were, or how happy you are to have been wrong. Recently somebody even bragged that they do that because it's a no-lose situation for them. So you were right. So what? So no one would listen. So what? What did you expect them to do if they had listened? Storm Kenny's office?

I guess if you are ALWAYS negative, you have a point. But is sitting here, after watching a **** poor season, really a "no-lose" situation? Not if you are fan of the team. thats a loss, regardless of winning a prediction or not.

If you not always negative and you called this season, its just called reason and logic.