PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best pitcher in the AL Central?

VMSNS
10-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Some good pitching this last series by Verlander and Peavy got me wondering. Who, in your opinion, is the best pitcher in the AL Central?

LITTLE NELL
10-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Can't leave out Zack Grienke.
16-8 for a last place team that is 31 games under .500

sox1970
10-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Mark Buehrle? That's rich.

JermaineDye05
10-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Despite being in the NL for these years, Peavy has the track record which gives him the nod.

Greinke and Verlander are going to be great and it's hard to say which ace is better. If someone asked you to choose between Tim Lincecum and Roy Halladay, what would you say? Personally I'd go with The Freak but it really doesn't matter.

They're all great, however in the long run I think Jake will prove to be the better pitcher of all.

One thing that Jake has on both Verlander and Greinke is great movement on his fastball, he has the ability to run it in on both sides of the plate. Verlander and Greinke both have great fastballs too but they don't have that ability.

I'm really skeptical about Verlander next year as he has been used an awful lot this year, I think he's averaged like 120 pitches per start. I don't know if his fastball will be nearly as crisp next season.

soxfan22
10-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I voted for Peavy, ofcourse, but Verlander looks dangerous

soxinem1
10-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Peavy would be a nice pick, but the other guys have pitched more in this division and are more tested.

For now I say Verlander, Grienke, MB, and Jake. For 2010 that may very well change, but you cannot lose with any of them.

JermaineDye05
10-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Peavy would be a nice pick, but the other guys have pitched more in this division and are more tested.

For now I say Verlander, Grienke, MB, and Jake. For 2010 that may very well change, but you cannot lose with any of them.

Mark Buehrle over Peavy? I realize Mark has a no-hitter, a perfect game, and a world series ring on his resume, but seriously it's Jake ****ing Peavy.

I think Jake's multiple ERA titles, a unanimous CY Young with the triple crown, and sub 3 ERA in 4 of the last 5 seasons beat Mark Buehrle's 0 Cy Young's and sub 4 ERA from the last 3 seasons. Remember, Jake had to pitch for some pretty bad Padres teams.

JermaineDye05
10-04-2009, 03:04 PM
If you want to see how good Jake Peavy is, just watch Padres highlights from the last couple years.

This is one of my favorites:

Link (http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w=2007/open/tp/archive04/042507_sdnari_peavy_reel_16k_tp_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2007/04/25/sdnmlb-arimlb-1&mid=200704261930993&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp400&v=2&id=567995)

16 k's against the Dbacks in 2007 which includes 9 consecutive strikeouts. You'll notice a familiar face in their a couple times.

Sam Spade
10-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I'd vote in the order they are listed in the poll, actually.

WhiteSox5187
10-04-2009, 03:37 PM
It's Greinke. Peavy is very very good but I need a full season to judge. The best pitcher in the entire American League in 2009 was Zack Greinke.

Domeshot17
10-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Grienke is so good he should win the Cy on a piss poor team.

Put Grienke on Detroit or Us, and he would be a 22-23 game winner.

Next season could be very different but right now today its Grienke

Craig Grebeck
10-04-2009, 03:44 PM
How on earth could anyone vote against Greinke?

VMSNS
10-04-2009, 03:47 PM
If you want to see how good Jake Peavy is, just watch Padres highlights from the last couple years.

This is one of my favorites:

Link (http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w=2007/open/tp/archive04/042507_sdnari_peavy_reel_16k_tp_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2007/04/25/sdnmlb-arimlb-1&mid=200704261930993&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp400&v=2&id=567995)

16 k's against the Dbacks in 2007 which includes 9 consecutive strikeouts. You'll notice a familiar face in their a couple times.

Haha, TCQ looked pissed.

Sam Spade
10-04-2009, 04:02 PM

He hasn't been as good as he is for very long, so he is more likely to regress.

Twins_Morneau
10-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Its gotta be Verlander 1st b/c he has the track record, then Greinke, Peavy and Buehrle.

JermaineDye05
10-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Its gotta be Verlander 1st b/c he has the track record, then Greinke, Peavy and Buehrle.

You mention track record but then you go with Greinke over Peavy and Buehrle? Seems a bit contradictory.

If you go by track records I'd say you go Verlander (because he's won 17+ games in the AL in 3 seasons) then Peavy, although new an ERA in the low to mid 2's is damn good no matter what league you are in.

Craig Grebeck
10-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Not true at all.

JermaineDye05
10-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Not true at all.

How so?

Prior to this season Greinke's lowest ERA was 3.47 which was last year. This was just his second season that he had less hits than innings pitched, the last couple of years he averaged about a hit per inning. His homerun numbers also shot down significantly has had given up 20+ HRs in 3 of his previous 5 seasons; he gave up 12 in 122 IP in 2007. This was also Zack's first season that he had more strikeouts than innings pitched.

I think Spade's statement holds a bit of water.

Craig Grebeck
10-04-2009, 05:12 PM
How so?

Prior to this season Greinke's lowest ERA was 3.47 which was last year. This was just his second season that he had less hits than innings pitched, the last couple of years he averaged about a hit per inning. His homerun numbers also shot down significantly has had given up 20+ HRs in 3 of his previous 5 seasons; he gave up 12 in 122 IP in 2007. This was also Zack's first season that he had more strikeouts than innings pitched.

I think Spade's statement holds a bit of water.
Drastic improvement is not evidence for a pitcher performing over his head. If Greinke's performance was like, say, Jair Jurrjens' this year (in that Jurrjens didn't strike out a ton of guys and was very lucky BABIP wise), then his statement would hold water. But Greinke still had his good control, he just began to strike more guys out. That's clear evidence of a pitcher becoming flat out better.

I don't know if his ERA from this season is sustainable, but I definitely believe he'll be a better pitcher than the other three in this poll.

Peavy is a good pitcher, but there's simply no reason to believe he's going to be better than Greinke going forward. Greinke just produced one of the best seasons in recent memory (one that neither of the other three have come close to) and is still very young. Barring injury, his best days are ahead of him.

JermaineDye05
10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Drastic improvement is not evidence for a pitcher performing over his head. If Greinke's performance was like, say, Jair Jurrjens' this year (in that Jurrjens didn't strike out a ton of guys and was very lucky BABIP wise), then his statement would hold water. But Greinke still had his good control, he just began to strike more guys out. That's clear evidence of a pitcher becoming flat out better.

I don't know if his ERA from this season is sustainable, but I definitely believe he'll be a better pitcher than the other three in this poll.

Peavy is a good pitcher, but there's simply no reason to believe he's going to be better than Greinke going forward. Greinke just produced one of the best seasons in recent memory (one that neither of the other three have come close to) and is still very young. Barring injury, his best days are ahead of him.

I don't know, Jake Peavy's 15-6 season with an ERA of 2.27 in 2004 was pretty close. Mind you that was only in 27 starts.

Don't get me wrong, I think Greinke will be great. I just don't think it's wrong to believe that Greinke will regress a bit considering how much better he was this season than he was in previous seasons.

doublem23
10-04-2009, 06:00 PM

It's called the Career Year Phenomenon. Remember when Barry Zito won a Cy Young at 24? He's gone 86-89 since.

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Grienke was lights out when he first came up. Was lights out the next year. He then took time off to take care of some issues and has been lights out continuously. Just imagine what his ERA and W-L record would be like if he was on a real baseball team.

He should win Cy this year. He deserves it since he has had to win all those games on the sheer force of his pitching since he does not have a Mark Teixeira, etc. backing him up.

DirtySox
10-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Greinke easily.

CanBuehrleWait
10-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Have to see what Peavy can do. He very well could be. As of today though I'm voting Zach

Craig Grebeck
10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
It's called the Career Year Phenomenon. Remember when Barry Zito won a Cy Young at 24? He's gone 86-89 since.
Stretch!

JermaineDye05
10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Reading this thread leads me to believe that the Cy Young will be coming out of the AL Central a couple more times in the coming years. So far for the past 3 years the Cy Young has come out of the Central, could be 4 if Greinke or Verlander win this year.

veeter
10-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Verlander for now. Hopefully we can say Peavy next year.

kevingrt
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
I think Joe Nathan should be on that list too. I know he is a reliever but he is sick.

JermaineDye05
10-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I think Joe Nathan should be on that list too. I know he is a reliever but he is sick.

The fact that Nathan can't go more than a couple innings takes him name out of the discussion.

Nathan is nasty, but he can only handle about an inning before he starts to tire.

Greinke, Peavy, and Verlander have the ability to completely shut offenses down for 7+ innings whereas Joe Nathan can only shut down a couple batters, sometimes 1 time through the lineup if he is forced to go that deep.

Zisk77
10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Not sure who is the best #1 is, but our #2, #3, #4 blow everyone elses out of the water.:D:

tm1119
10-05-2009, 12:31 PM

Seriously. Hes the best pitcher in the game right now, let alone the mediocre AL Central.

LoveYourSuit
10-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Based on "what have you done for me lately:"

1. Greinke
2. Verlander
3. Buehrle
4. Peavy.

I expect next year to be:

1. Peavy
2. Verlander
3. Greinke
4. Buehrle

Huisj
10-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Grienke was lights out when he first came up. Was lights out the next year. He then took time off to take care of some issues and has been lights out continuously. Just imagine what his ERA and W-L record would be like if he was on a real baseball team.

He should win Cy this year. He deserves it since he has had to win all those games on the sheer force of his pitching since he does not have a Mark Teixeira, etc. backing him up.

Plus, when he came up, he had been spoken of as a huge prospect while in the minors. It wasn't like he was a mediocre prospect who suddenly played over his head. He was good enough that he came up as a 20 year old and posted a sub-4.00 ERA his rookie year. He had some growing pains after that, but I don't think many people doubted his ability while he got those things worked out.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-05-2009, 01:31 PM
I picked ZG only because I've been able to see him all season (via head to head and highlights).

Ask me at the ASB next year, and if Peavy continues the way he has, my vote will change. :D:

34 Inch Stick
10-05-2009, 03:27 PM
CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee

JB98
10-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Not only is Greinke the best in the AL Central, he's the best in the American League.

MeteorsSox4367
10-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Not only is Greinke the best in the AL Central, he's the best in the American League.

Imagine the attention Greinke would get from ESPN if he were on the Yankees or Boston.

Greinke at least provides an excuse to watch Royals games on the MLB package on cable.