PDA

View Full Version : On this final day of the regular season

Fenway
10-04-2009, 11:46 AM
"The Green Fields of the Mind "

From A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett Giamatti

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops

SoxGirl4Life
10-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I like it

SoxandtheCityTee
10-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I like it

Me too. That quote is somebody's sig around here, or used to be.

DSpivack
10-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Me too. That quote is somebody's sig around here, or used to be.

Made by A. Bartlett Giamatti [former MLB commish and actor Paul's father], no?

LITTLE NELL
10-04-2009, 01:54 PM
At 63 years old I've had my heart broken so many times by the Sox, I'm lucky I'm alive.

WSox597
10-04-2009, 05:42 PM
At 63 years old I've had my heart broken so many times by the Sox, I'm lucky I'm alive.

Really. 2005 was an enjoyable anomaly for me. I'm 57 and they've been mediocre more than they've been good.

But I'm a White Sox fan through and through. If they would have left town back when it was thought they were going to Florida, it would have been very hard to take.

The Sox had some great teams when I was really young, but usually lost out to even better teams the Yankees had. 1959 was another anomaly.

1967 was SO CLOSE, but no cigar.

Ah well, things should go better in 2010.

tstrike2000
10-04-2009, 06:05 PM

You'd be correct on all accounts.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Yes, Fenway sourced it. I just remember seeing it in someone's sig here.

GoGoCrede
10-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I love this quote so much, even though it saddens me. However, I always think of something else that instantly lifts my spirits: Baseball always comes back, no matter what (well, except for the strike, but let's not rain on my parade here. :smile:).

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

See you in a few months. :)

DSpivack
10-04-2009, 07:33 PM
You'd be correct on all accounts.

Yes, Fenway sourced it. I just remember seeing it in someone's sig here.

I completely read over that and just saw the quote. :redface:

Brian26
10-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Really. 2005 was an enjoyable anomaly for me. I'm 57 and they've been mediocre more than they've been good.

But I'm a White Sox fan through and through. If they would have left town back when it was thought they were going to Florida, it would have been very hard to take.

The Sox had some great teams when I was really young, but usually lost out to even better teams the Yankees had. 1959 was another anomaly.

1967 was SO CLOSE, but no cigar.

Ah well, things should go better in 2010.

It could be worse.

We could live in Cleveland.