PDA

View Full Version : So sad

LITTLE NELL
10-04-2009, 10:50 AM
About a month ago I predicted the Sox would wind up with 86 wins but it would take 88 to win the Central.
If we win today and the Twins lose, 85 wins will be good enough for a tie, how sad is that, this division was there for the taking.
How many blown holds and saves?
How many errors cost us games.
How many lack of key hits with runners in scoring posistion.
How many games did Colon and Contreras lose for us.
How many games lost on Sundays
How many games lost on a chance for a sweep.
How many games lost in the Metrodome.
So Sad.

white sox bill
10-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Nice end of yr reflection, a blanket answer: too many

soxfan22
10-04-2009, 11:28 AM
About a month ago I predicted the Sox would wind up with 86 wins but it would take 88 to win the Central.
If we win today and the Twins lose, 85 wins will be good enough for a tie, how sad is that, this division was there for the taking.
How many blown holds and saves?
How many errors cost us games.
How many lack of key hits with runners in scoring posistion.
How many games did Colon and Contreras lose for us.
How many games lost on Sundays
How many games lost on a chance for a sweep.
How many games lost in the Metrodome.
So Sad.

Jeez, my day is sooo much better now :(:

Gavin
10-04-2009, 11:30 AM
The numbers of wins and losses is immaterial... the White Sox were not a good team this year. If this team, that's playing its final game today, made it to the playoffs they'd get their ass kicked.

Deal with it.

LITTLE NELL
10-04-2009, 11:45 AM
The numbers of wins and losses is immaterial... the White Sox were not a good team this year. If this team, that's playing its final game today, made it to the playoffs they'd get their ass kicked.

Deal with it.
I don't think anyone is jumping out of windows but its still hard to deal with.
No they were not a good team but they were good enough to win the division, and with our top 4 starters would have been dangerous in the playoffs.

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Woulda coulda shoulda. It is what it is.

TornLabrum
10-04-2009, 03:18 PM
This was a terrible team on opening day with a three man rotation. Right now it has the makings of a decent five-man rotation, but the defense still stinks. Williams has been quoted as saying baseball is moving away from the homer to a pitching/speed/defensive game. Right now we have one of the three components...maybe one-and-a-half.

thomas35forever
10-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I've learned to not look back on those things and just accept what happened this year. No making excuses. This was just a mediocre team.

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2009, 03:31 PM
No they were not a good team but they were good enough to win the division, and with our top 4 starters would have been dangerous in the playoffs.

Well that's it right there. Get into the playoffs and see what happens. Sometimes it's not the best team that wins, but the team that catches fire at the right time. Could've been the Sox.

Coulda woulda shoulda.

It's Dankerific
10-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I think at this point in the season we can see it was very foolish for anyone to be worried about the team at any point this year, winter meetings, spring training, april, may, june, july, august, september or october.

soxinem1
10-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Woulda coulda shoulda. It is what it is.

And that sums up 2009.

pudge
10-05-2009, 03:15 AM
I've learned to not look back on those things and just accept what happened this year. No making excuses. This was just a mediocre team.

yeah it was, but I still think there's something to be said for management that can't put together an 86-win team in large-market Chicago. It's just friggin embarrassing. Honestly, I think next season is huge for the Kenny Williams legacy.

LITTLE NELL
10-05-2009, 07:00 AM
yeah it was, but I still think there's something to be said for management that can't put together an 86-win team in large-market Chicago. It's just friggin embarrassing. Honestly, I think next season is huge for the Kenny Williams legacy.
I was thinking that also about the large market thing, but then I thought about the Mets. Things could always be worse.

beasly213
10-05-2009, 09:51 AM
I'll echo what everyone else is saying pretty much. This is a mediocre team. It's not a terrible or horrible team. A terrible team is Washington or the Mets or KC.

The Sox were exactly what they were, a mediocre team. We can point to all of the games we should have won this year and we would be in the playoffs but I'm sure if you go back and break down game by game there were plenty of games we should have/ could have lost this year but didn't. Over the course of a season everything ends up evening out.

doublem23
10-05-2009, 10:05 AM
The Sox were exactly what they were, a mediocre team. We can point to all of the games we should have won this year and we would be in the playoffs but I'm sure if you go back and break down game by game there were plenty of games we should have/ could have lost this year but didn't. Over the course of a season everything ends up evening out.

Pretty much. Pythagorean W/L for this team was 80-82, 1 game better than how they finished.

Madvora
10-05-2009, 10:19 AM
The good thing is that I already went through my grieving process on August 22 when the Sox lost their first game to Baltimore. I knew it was over then.

pudge
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I was thinking that also about the large market thing, but then I thought about the Mets. Things could always be worse.

The problem with that comparison is the division we played in. We played against a bunch of chumps and couldn't cobble together 86 wins. I realize the AL is tougher than the NL, but still... one more season like this one and I really think you have to start to downgrade the Ozzie/Kenny era.

downstairs
10-05-2009, 02:25 PM
I figured 87-ish would be enough (I don't remember if I said that number exactly, but somewhere in that area). I figured our division would not yield a 90 game winner.

However, I also pegged the Sox as a .500 team. And that's about how it ended up. They just weren't that good. I was hoping for 4-5 lucky wins to take the division.

We made good moves for 2010, and with a little more tweaking, I think we're the favorite for what could be an equally pathetic division next year.

tstrike2000
10-05-2009, 02:34 PM
To me, finishing at or just below .500 was not a surprise. The Sox would get some games above .500 and then give it away by losing games they should've won by losing to bad teams or just playing bad baseball whether it was errors or timely hitting. That was the case throughout the whole year. Yeah the 5th starter and bullpen hurt us, but the much bigger issue was defense and manufacturing runs. The Sox made strides where it looked like they could make a nice run, but in the end the weaknesses of the team took over.

kaufsox
10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
However, I also pegged the Sox as a .500 team. And that's about how it ended up. They just weren't that good. I was hoping for 4-5 lucky wins to take the division.

Sigh. Yep, I had them around .500, hoping for a lucky streak to put them at 86-88 wins, no such luck. It was still a fun year at the old ball park, but could have been better. :(:

KenBerryGrab
10-05-2009, 02:49 PM
That Sunday loss in Oakland was huge. That ball curled over the fence, and the balloon popped.

Bob G
10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Seems hard to believe that on July 23 we were actually tied for first. We never really recovered from the road trip vs the Tigers and Twins where we went 1-6.