PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Freddie's a Nightmare for Tigers' 10/3 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
10-03-2009, 09:10 PM
To bad we couldn't play like this against MIN.

I guess we will be seeing Verlander tomorrow.

A lot of us thought this series might mean something when the schedule was put out, but I don't think any of us thought THIS would happen!!!

SoxGirl4Life
10-03-2009, 09:12 PM
And there's always the chance that we get to Verlander. He's been hot this year, but we've been good against him historically.

Shoeless_Jeff
As much as I don't like the Twins, I love seeing Detroit's playoff dreams stomped out by the Sox.

DirtySox
Spoilerific.

I like.

GoGoCrede
Good lord. Tomorrow is a must-see.

SaltyPretzel
10-03-2009, 09:14 PM
I hate the Twins, but after going to Detroit a few times, I would love to see the Tigers blow it.

SoxGirl4Life
Good lord. Tomorrow is a must-see.

TIVO the Bears and watch the Sox?

GoGoCrede
I hate the Twins, but after going to Detroit a few times, I would love to see the Tigers blow it.

Where's that Ozzie choking picture?

DirtySox

That's the spirit!

tacosalbarojas
10-03-2009, 09:15 PM
On Friday before the game, Gerald Laird said, "let's have some fun and take it to the White Sox". How apropos that after 48 hours of taking it to us to the tune of one big run, he makes the last out tonight. Whatever happens tomorrow, we've done our spoiler job. Now it's up to these two massively flawed teams to see which one makes it through to next week's slaughter.

DirtySox
10-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Where's that Ozzie choking picture?

On our best friends twitter.

http://twitter.com/cst_sox

Thatguyoverthere
10-03-2009, 09:16 PM
I knew Freddy would come up big tonight. Let's see: Big game, on the road, against the Tigers - all Freddy trademarks. :cool:

JB98
10-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Garcia had a really good splitter working for him tonight. He was changing speeds on that pitch and had the Tigers off balance the whole game. Seven of Garcia's nine starts have been quality. I'm sold. He's my No. 5 going into camp next spring.

The Sox have only allowed one run in their last three games. We've seen some good pitching. I do think, though, that the collars are getting a little tight for the Tigers. That's probably making it a little bit easier for Sox pitchers to retire these Detroit hitters.

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2009, 09:18 PM
The crying shame is that the Sox are/were so close to winning the division this year.

If they had just won just HALF of these 14 completely winnable games (all lost by two runs or less) against MLB's dregs:

4/8 v. KC
4/9 v. KC
5/16 v. TOR
5/18 v. TOR
5/24 v. PIT
6/19 v. CIN
7/4 v. KC
7/9 v. CLE
8/12 v. SEA
8/16 v. OAK
8/18 v. KC
8/23 v. BAL
9/17 v. SEA
9/20 v. KC;

they would be in a three-way tie for first place right now. :angry:

EDIT: Seven winnable games were lost to the Pirates, Royals and Indians. What a colossal embarrassment.

At least with Garcia we have a solid veteran ready to compete for the #5 starter spot next year. Very few teams have their rotations completely set for next year; starting pitching is the hardest commodity to find and the most expensive to buy on the free agent market. The fact that the Sox rotation is set is a good first step toward returning to contention in 2010.

cheezheadsoxfan
10-03-2009, 09:21 PM
The crying shame is that the Sox are/were so close to winning the division this year.

If they had just won just HALF of these 14 completely winnable games (all lost by two runs or less) against MLB's dregs:

4/8 v. KC
4/9 v. KC
5/16 v. TOR
5/18 v. TOR
5/24 v. PIT
6/19 v. CIN
7/4 v. KC
7/9 v. CLE
8/12 v. SEA
8/16 v. OAK
8/18 v. KC
8/23 v. BAL
9/17 v. SEA
9/20 v. KC;

they would be in a three-way tie for first place right now. :angry:

Please don't. The wound was just starting to heal.:(:

Noneck
10-03-2009, 09:22 PM
The Tigers are not choking. Good pitching is going to beat good hitting. The Sox pitching has been superior.

I want to read that the Tigers ran into a better team for this series. Not a choke job.

Hitmen77
10-03-2009, 09:22 PM
As much as I don't like the Twins, I love seeing Detroit's playoff dreams stomped out by the Sox.

:nod:

Yep. I hate the Twins more than the Tigers...but yet I wouldn't mind Detroit's big payroll team denied the playoffs once again...and being foiled by the Sox.

Great game for Freddy, Rios, and TCQ. If these guys can bounce back in 2010, that will be HUGE for us.

Tragg
10-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I still hate to see Guillen waste the opportunity to give young players at bats. No reason Flowers and/or Fields shouldn't get at bats. Guillen has never been an eager developer of young talent, but if not in garbage time, when?

It's particularly silly when the Oz insists on playing utility level talent like Lilibridge and Kotsay (unless Ozzie's keen eye for talent has judged Kotsay to be a starter, and that would portend major misfortune for the 2010 club).

Patrick134
10-03-2009, 09:26 PM
The Tigers are not choking. Good pitching is going to beat good hitting. The Sox pitching has been superior.

I want to read that the Tigers ran into a better team for this series. Not a choke job.

Yeah, to throw that kid out to start a game as big as tonight's ? Pathetic.

KenBerryGrab
10-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I still hate to see Guillen waste the opportunity to give young players at bats. No reason Flowers and/or Fields shouldn't get at bats.

Flowers, maybe. Fields? Nyet. He had his chance. I don't want to see him around next spring training.

WhiteSox1989
10-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I hope there's a tie breaker game.

And the Twins lose.

soxfanatlanta
10-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Good to see that they are not phoning it in this last series; I'd love to see them end the season on a high note.

JB98
10-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Flowers, maybe. Fields? Nyet. He had his chance. I don't want to see him around next spring training.

Agreed. Fields strikes out a ton and isn't good defensively. He's less of what we need. There's no point in giving him development ABs when he's not a part of our future.

VenturaFan23
10-03-2009, 09:38 PM

And the Twins lose.

That's my perfect scenario as well. I love that the Sox are playing spoiler, but I hate the freakin' Twins.

Lip Man 1
10-03-2009, 09:40 PM
It's sickening that with just a handful more wins, even just five of the ten games they lost after taking a lead into the 7th inning or later, not only would they be having their 8th winning season this decade but they could have won this crappy division.

They have no one to blame but themselves.

Lip

doublem23
10-03-2009, 09:41 PM

Fields is all but gone this off-season, anyway, who gives a **** if he's rotting on the bench? All Ozzie does by playing Josh is lower whatever little trade value he has left.

Who knows what's up with Flowers, are the Sox sending him to the AFL again? Maybe they don't want him to get hurt in a meaningless game.

slavko
10-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Swallowed the jar of olives the last 2 days, the Tigers did. If they lose this one with Verlander going tomorrow, it'll be a watermelon they swallowed. More palpitations in a meaningless game tonight than a season of Bears games. Tomorrow's recipe: TIVO the Bears, DVR the Sox, go out for the day, FF to the good parts.

How much was Freddy and how much choking Kitties? I give the edge to Freddy. The guy still has stuff and can hit spots. Should be in our plans.

chisoxfanatic
10-03-2009, 09:52 PM
I do too! Chicago has a chance to really stomp all over Detroit this weekend with a Bears win tomorrow and another one by the Sox.
TIVO the Bears and watch the Sox?
I'll be switching between games. I'm going to really miss Hawk during the offseason, so I'll have to watch SOME of the Sox game.

Noneck
10-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Swallowed the jar of olives the last 2 days, the Tigers did.

Nah, just ran into really good pitching.

DirtySox
10-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Fields is all but gone this off-season, anyway, who gives a **** if he's rotting on the bench? All Ozzie does by playing Josh is lower whatever little trade value he has left.

Who knows what's up with Flowers, are the Sox sending him to the AFL again? Maybe they don't want him to get hurt in a meaningless game.

Flowers isn't playing in the AFL this year.

PeoriaSoxFan
10-03-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm sold. He's my No. 5 going into camp next spring.

I can't disagree, but I don't want to see it handed to him. I think Hudson should be in the mix and I pray that KW doesn't trade him off. He looks a little like Peavy to me, in the way he pitches and with the movement on his stuff. Maybe Hudson can be our version of Phil Hughes next year. Now, if we can only summon their offense some how.

PeoriaSoxFan
10-03-2009, 09:59 PM

And the Twins lose.

Too bad they couldn't both lose and/or tie with each other and be eliminated. I can't really say I am fan of anyone else in the AL playoffs though either.

GoGoCrede
10-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Too bad they couldn't both lose and/or tie with each other and be eliminated. I can't really say I am fan of anyone else in the AL playoffs though either.

Repeat after me: Three and out! Three and out! Three and out! :D:

chisoxfanatic
10-03-2009, 10:06 PM
There is no reason for us to hate the Angels...I think everyone here should pull for the Angels in the AL.

delben91
10-03-2009, 10:13 PM
It's particularly silly when the Oz insists on playing utility level talent like Lilibridge and Kotsay (unless Ozzie's keen eye for talent has judged Kotsay to be a starter, and that would portend major misfortune for the 2010 club).

Getz is out for the year, who else do you think should be playing 2b? Fields?

slavko
10-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Getz is out for the year, who else do you think should be playing 2b? Fields?

Nix?

fram40
10-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Repeat after me: Three and out! Three and out! Three and out! :D:

for the Yankees? or the Roid Sox? or both? (I know that's not who you met)

I dislike our divisional rivals but I despise - absolutely despise - the Yankees and Roid Sox. I will be rooting for whoever plays them - whether it be the Angels or the Twins/Tigers.

I love seeing a good choke the last week of the season. Watching the Tigers choke (losing at this point of the season to blow the division is the very definition of choking). What would make the weekend complete would be the Rockies sweeping the Dodgers and winning the division. Even if the Dodgers are still the WC.

MarkZ35
10-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Make sure you tune in tommorrow. Verlanders arm might fall off because he isn't going to come out unless Leyland brings a crew with him out to the mound.

spongyfungy
10-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Man I so don't want the twins to win.

Can't Ozzie start Linebrink?

chisoxfanatic
10-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Man I so don't want the twins to win.

Can't Ozzie start Linebrink?
C'mon! If you can't make the postseason, the second best thing is to end another team's chances.

fram40
10-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Make sure you tune in tommorrow. Verlanders arm might fall off because he isn't going to come out unless Leyland brings a crew with him out to the mound.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens next year with Verlander. By today's standards, Leyland has overused Verlander a great deal. It may throw him off his game next season. Jackson was also overused as well. At least by today's standards.

Look what three extra games in 2005 did to Buerhle, Garland, Garcia in 2006. Does not sound like much - but it sure seems to adversely affect pitchers these days.

ode to veeck
10-03-2009, 10:48 PM
C'mon! If you can't make the postseason, the second best thing is to end another team's chances.

hell yes

anewman35
10-03-2009, 11:15 PM
It's sickening that with just a handful more wins, even just five of the ten games they lost after taking a lead into the 7th inning or later, not only would they be having their 8th winning season this decade but they could have won this crappy division.

They have no one to blame but themselves.

Lip

I'd feel sick if we were finishing a game or two out. But, even with the strong finish we're going to be around 6 games out, so it's hard (for me, at least) to really play the "we were so close!" thing. All year long it seemed pretty clear we were a mediorce team, and we're going to finish just about at .500, which is pretty much where we belonged.

peridot
10-03-2009, 11:16 PM
I have one thing to say to the White Sox: "Gentlemen, destroy!"

10-03-2009, 11:19 PM

Yeah if it's the Twins

Soxman219
10-03-2009, 11:28 PM
There is no reason for us to hate the Angels...I think everyone here should pull for the Angels in the AL.

Yeah I want the Angels to be in the WS, but lose to the Cards.

Tragg
10-03-2009, 11:37 PM

Boy the house is really reaching for the excuses.
Fields is actually playing first (when he's playing), which will likely raise his value if he demonstrates he can play a position. Hell, he might prove value to us - we're going to need one of those soon.

And we don't want to get Flowers hurt? Yikes.

JB98
10-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Boy the house is really reaching for the excuses.
Fields is actually playing first (when he's playing), which will likely raise his value if he demonstrates he can play a position. Hell, he might prove value to us - we're going to need one of those soon.

And we don't want to get Flowers hurt? Yikes.

I don't know why you keep beating the drum for Fields. We did find out a few things about young players this year. Beckham and Getz can play. Anderson and Fields can't. Anderson's gone and Fields will soon follow him. Hudson looks promising, too.

Fields is out of chances with this organization. Tomorrow is his last day in a Sox uniform, and a handful of meaningless ABs in September will not affect his value on the market one way or another.

chisoxfanatic
10-03-2009, 11:47 PM
yeah i want the angels to be in the ws, but lose to the cards.
x2

Tragg
10-03-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't know why you keep beating the drum for Fields. We did find out a few things about young players this year. Beckham and Getz can play. Anderson and Fields can't. Anderson's gone and Fields will soon follow him. Hudson looks promising, too.

Fields is out of chances with this organization. Tomorrow is his last day in a Sox uniform, and a handful of meaningless ABs in September will not affect his value on the market one way or another.
i keep beating his drum because I don't like selling low. I don't see the point of dumping him. I don't agree with the Guillen philosophy of immedate production or to the srap heap you go, with a mediocre (or usually worse) veteran in their stead.
He's had 2 stints: one was pretty good and one not so good. He's had less than 750 plate appearances.
What's the point of throwing him aside?

Brian26
10-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Ozzie owes it to major league baseball to play the game to win tomorrow, just as Detroit did against the Sox last year for the make-up game.

That means a start for Kotsay and no AB's for Fields.

TheOldRoman
10-03-2009, 11:58 PM
C'mon! If you can't make the postseason, the second best thing is to end another team's chances.Bull. The Royals do that **** every year. They wait until they are 25 games out of first and then decide to play spoiler. It is for ****ing losers. It pisses me off that that Sox, after laying down against the Twins for 3 at home, decided to come to play against the Tigers two series. Teams that enjoy playing spoiler are pathetic. If you play the Royals, that is all you would ever have to look forward to, but the Sox are a lot better than the Royals. The way the Sox are playing is embarrassing more than anything else. If they are such a great team, why can't they beat the ****ing Royals? Why couldn't they manage a winning record against the three last place teams in the AL? This last week has done nothing but remind us of how horribly this team underachieved.

And yes, I hate the Twins more than anything else, and that is the biggest reason I am pissed. It pisses me off that the Sox are pretty much handing them the title. Right after laying three colossal eggs against the Twins, they take out their rivals.:angry: Tomorrow is the first time in my life I hope the Sox lose.

thomas35forever
10-04-2009, 12:15 AM
I want the Sox to win, but if that happens, I don't want the Twins to win. The last thing I wanna hear is Twins fans saying the Sox helped their team win the division. After Leyland used three pitchers in the second inning tonight, there can't be that much hope in Detroit.

Noneck
10-04-2009, 12:22 AM
I guess the best scenario if you are a Twins hater is for both Tigers and Twins to win or lose tomorrow. Then for the Tigers to beat the Twins in the last game in their dome.

soxfan22
10-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Here in London it's 6:51am and I'm laughing at the 5 - 1 score the Sox gave the Tigers. The third game is on TV here tonight and I'll be watching it.

What must the Tigers fans be thinking? :D:

Go Sox.............Good Times / Bad Times..............Go Sox!!!!

Warriorjan
10-04-2009, 01:18 AM
I think I want the Twins/Tigers to be tied, then have to play about 20 innings on Tuesday before the Twins lose - not that I want the Tigers to win but I think I hate the Metrodome and all the whining last year more than anything else so would love to see the Twins lose it there. But I want the Dodgers to win it all because it would give Thome a ring. So I'm good with a Dodgers/Angels series (although they whined so much in 2005 about AJ) because I guess they'd be my least-disliked team in the AL.

tacosalbarojas
10-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Ozzie owes it to major league baseball to play the game to win tomorrow, just as Detroit did against the Sox last year for the make-up game.

That means a start for Kotsay and no AB's for Fields.I bet we don't bring in old friend Gary Glover for relief though.

WSox597
10-04-2009, 06:12 AM

And the Twins lose.

That would be perfect. To see the look on Gardengnome's face if it happened would be priceless.

SOXSINCE'70
10-04-2009, 06:46 AM
And there's always the chance that we get to Verlander. He's been hot this year, but we've been good against him historically.

:walnuts
"It feels good to feel good."
Paul Konerko after the Sox 4-2 comeback win in their last game at the TwinkieDome EVER!!!!

SOXSINCE'70
10-04-2009, 06:50 AM
I want the Angels to be in the WS, but lose to the Cards.

Maybe they can lose the Dodgers instead.

cws05champ
10-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Freddy with a good 7IP start, Rios 4-5 in the game!! Hopefully with what we saw from Peavy on Friday and this we are getting a good sneak preview of 2010.

Craig Grebeck
10-04-2009, 07:16 AM
There is no excuse whatsoever for letting Tyler sit on the bench.

Red Barchetta
10-04-2009, 07:55 AM
I loved the comment by the Detroit announcers on MLB TV last night that the worse thing Detroit needs is to play a team like the White Sox who underachieved, has a lot of talent and are playing loose. :D:

Red Barchetta
10-04-2009, 07:57 AM
I guess the best scenario if you are a Twins hater is for both Tigers and Twins to win or lose tomorrow. Then for the Tigers to beat the Twins in the last game in their dome.

I agree. I hope the SOX and Royals both win and let the Twins/Tigers battle it out on Tuesday. Odds are the Twins would win since they still have the "magic air flow" system working in the dome.

doublem23
10-04-2009, 08:13 AM

Because that's just the way he is. If Ozzie was playing Josh everyday, he'd complain that Ozzie's is "overworking him" and "putting him in a position to fail," because essentially every time Josh Fields walks to the plate with a bat, he will fail.

I have no idea what is up with Flowers on the bench, it's just an Ozzie thing I guess. I do think some of our louder complainers are overblowing it a bit, it's not like there's this pressing need to get Tyler ready to play in the MLB everyday, he's going to be in the minors next year. The only logical thing I can think of is perhaps the Sox don't want him to be overmatched in the Majors and have him end a really good year on a sour note? It's not like his career will be made or broken by 20 plate appearances in garbage time.

Craig Grebeck
10-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Because that's just the way he is. If Ozzie was playing Josh everyday, he'd complain that Ozzie's is "overworking him" and "putting him in a position to fail," because essentially every time Josh Fields walks to the plate with a bat, he will fail.

I have no idea what is up with Flowers on the bench, it's just an Ozzie thing I guess. I do think some of our louder complainers are overblowing it a bit, it's not like there's this pressing need to get Tyler ready to play in the MLB everyday, he's going to be in the minors next year. The only logical thing I can think of is perhaps the Sox don't want him to be overmatched in the Majors and have him end a really good year on a sour note? It's not like his career will be made or broken by 20 plate appearances in garbage time.
It won't make or break Tyler, but the most passive argument would be that it can't hurt. In fact, I think it will help a whole hell of a lot. I don't believe that some struggles will derail his career, but the opportunity to get an extended taste of major league pitching (in the heat of a pennant race, mind you) will benefit Tyler far more than letting him sit on the bench.

It being an "Ozzie thing" doesn't make it any less short-sighted or stupid.

Dan H
10-04-2009, 08:57 AM
I agree. I hope the SOX and Royals both win and let the Twins/Tigers battle it out on Tuesday. Odds are the Twins would win since they still have the "magic air flow" system working in the dome.

At this point, I don't care who wins this division. The Tigers and Twins have both shown that they are not an elite AL team. This division can be had next year if the White Sox make some moves in the off season. That is, if they can make some moves. The type of player the Sox need may not be available in trades or free agent market. It is too bad the Sox weren't good enough to win 87 games this year.