PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Playing The Role Of Spoiler 10/2 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
10-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I have a feeling there will be a ton of #44 Peavy White Sox jerseys around from Opening Day onward next season.

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Discuss

SoxandtheCityTee
10-02-2009, 08:34 PM
My, he seems to be rather a good pitcher . . . .

chisoxfanatic
10-02-2009, 08:36 PM
What a great game by Peavy. He's looked great since coming up from Charlotte!

We must be really driving Detroit crazy right now! :D:

eastchicagosoxfan
10-02-2009, 08:37 PM
I love it when a plan comes together...........two months too late...:angry::angry:

JermaineDye05
10-02-2009, 08:37 PM
I think people need to reverse their previous speculation.

Jake Peavy is not afraid of the AL.

The AL is afraid of Jake Peavy, at least they certainly should be.

JermaineDye05
10-02-2009, 08:39 PM
a 1.35 ERA in 3 starts.

Yeah, Jake Peavy can't handle the AL :rolleyes:

Twins_Morneau
10-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Thank you Sox. Peavy is next Cy Young winner.

Noneck
10-02-2009, 08:40 PM
It appears the Sox have their 1st true #1 and leader since BlackJack.

Frankfan4life
10-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Peavy is a monster. What a great pick-up by KW. All we need is an offense and defense to go along with our pitching staff.

soxinem1
10-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Jake has definitely been the most impressive of the players recalled in September!!

Hitmen77
Jake Peavy!
:cheers:

JB98
Peavy is an ace, in any ballpark, in any league.

soxinem1
10-02-2009, 08:45 PM
It appears the Sox have their 1st true #1 and leader since BlackJack.

You have to love a pitcher that in 50 degree weather, yells 'That's What I'm Talkin' About!!' when walking off the mound after ending an inning in a game for a team that has been out of it for over a month.

Barring injury, Peavy will be solid in 2010.

Noneck
10-02-2009, 08:46 PM
You have to love a pitcher that in 50 degree weather, yells 'That's What I'm Talkin' About!!' when walking off the mound after ending an inning in a game for a team that has been out of it for over a month.

Yes, Its been a long time coming.

JermaineDye05
10-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Peavy is an ace, in any ballpark, in any league.

If this was facebook, I'd "like" that. Since it's not, this is the closest that I can get :thumbsup:

Peavy is a bonafide ace. The rest of White Sox fandom will fall in to line as well and fall in love with him like I did a couple years ago.

Lip Man 1
10-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Nice game by Peavy. Got home from practice and decided to watch the final two innings on ESPN.

If you didn't see it, it was a treat as Steve Phillips and Rick Sutcliffe took turns criticizing Ozzie for having Peavy out there in the 8th inning. Rick went so far as to say, "Ozzie needs to call Bruce Bochy to find out about Peavy. He's a compeditor, he'll lie to you and say he's feeling fine but he isn't. They've hit fly balls this inning which shows that he's fighting it now. He's tired..."

:rolleyes:

Then the discussion about Ozzie saying the Sox should be the big favorites in the division next season was fun. Basically Phillips and Sutcliffe went through each position in the starting lineup and basically asked "who are they going to change?" The only person they came up with was Dye. Their conclusion was if they aren't going to change anything, and with the pitching remaining the same you've basically got this year's team and that club is under .500 even with a pitching staff that leads the league in quality starts so how are they supposed to be the favorites.

I grant you they have a point but they also don't know Kenny Williams very well do they? I strongly suspect he's not going to 'sit out' another off season.

Lip

JB98
10-02-2009, 08:48 PM
If this was facebook, I'd "like" that. Since it's not, this is the closest that I can get :thumbsup:

Peavy is a bonafide ace. The rest of White Sox fandom will fall in to line as well and fall in love with him like did a couple years ago.

Unless we trade him for Zambrano.

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Their conclusion was if they aren't going to change anything, and with the pitching remaining the same you've basically got this year's team and that club is under .500 even with a pitching staff that leads the league in quality starts so how are they supposed to be the favorites.

Even if they stand pat next year, they pretty much have all five rotation spots locked up with proven veterans, with Hudson waiting in the wings (not unlike McCarthy in 2005). That alone will make next year's bullpen better, because it won't regularly have to bail out Contreras and Colon. In addition, experience alone will improve the IF defense. Rios and a healthy Quentin will "progress to the mean." All KW needs to do is find a good OBP, high AVG, fast LH-hitting OF (Crawford, Abreu, Figgins) and perhaps one more reliever.

chisoxfanatic
10-02-2009, 09:01 PM
So, I have a serious question for all of you, my fellow Sox fans. I know it's a general consensus that we hate the Twins more, but wouldn't it be kind of funny to prevent a team from reaching the playoffs?

Tragg
10-02-2009, 09:03 PM
One thing I don't get is why Flowers isn't at least DHing every night. There's no reason he shouldn't be getting daily work. Fields too. It's ridiculous. The only purpose of these games is to develop players....the Sox consistently fail to take that approach.

What's the point of standing pat and bringing back all of these aging players? The one they should bring back -Thome - they aren't going to and will probably clown around with Podsednik at DH.

Zisk77
10-02-2009, 09:06 PM
So, I have a serious question for all of you, my fellow Sox fans. I know it's a general consensus that we hate the Twins more, but wouldn't it be kind of funny to prevent a team from reaching the playoffs?

I hope we and the twins both win tomorrow and then we win sunday but twins blow it in the ninth.

chisoxfanatic
10-02-2009, 09:07 PM
One thing I don't get is why Flowers isn't at least DHing every night. There's no reason he shouldn't be getting daily work. Fields too. It's ridiculous. The only purpose of these games is to develop players....the Sox consistently fail to take that approach.
I think Ozzie's trying to help out his buddy Gardenhire by playing all his regulars.

Tragg
10-02-2009, 09:12 PM
I think Ozzie's trying to help out his buddy Gardenhire by playing all his regulars.
Guillen needs to help out his own team.

JB98
10-02-2009, 09:17 PM

What's the point of standing pat and bringing back all of these aging players? The one they should bring back -Thome - they aren't going to and will probably clown around with Podsednik at DH.

Fields is on death row with this organization. We don't need to see him anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing Flowers out there every game, though. He is a part of our future.

JB98
10-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I hope we and the twins both win tomorrow and then we win sunday but twins blow it in the ninth.

I hope the Sox win their final two games and the Twins lose their final two.

**** the Twins. I never root for them.

DumpJerry
10-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Tiger fans are the second most annoying human beings on Planet Earth after Red Sox fans.

Now for a positive thought:

PeavyPeavyPeavyPeavyPeavyPeavyPeavyPeavyPeavyPeavy PeavyPeavyPeavy

mccoydp
10-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Me likey Peavy!

:D:

JermaineDye05
10-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Fields is on death row with this organization. We don't need to see him anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing Flowers out there every game, though. He is a part of our future.

It really would be fitting for the division to be won by default. I'd love for the Twins to get it down to a game, only to lose the next two games and watch the Tigers get swept.

GlassSox
10-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I agree with all the positive things being said about Peavy in this thread and I am really looking forward to next year.

As far as Tiggers and Twinkies, who cares, the White Sox just need to play their best each game and forget about the other teams.

I too would like to see Flowers getting game time but I hope this is the last year for Fields in a Sox jersey.

Great game tonight all around and even good situational hitting.

WhiteSox1989
10-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, AND Floyd. That finally just sunk it.

Peavy is kind of good.

johnnyg83
10-02-2009, 09:35 PM
With a few exceptions it's been a great last spell for our SP.

When's the last time we were this solid in the rotation? It's almost like we have four stoppers ... mitigates the losing streaks. That's why I think we'd be favorites in 2010 ... Detroit is 3 deep (including Jackson, whose ERA rose every month) SP and the Twins SP is an enigma.

Peavy looked good. and he didn't look 100% ... with Garcia, Hudson, Torres in the 5 we have to have the best SP in the game.

JermaineDye05
10-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, AND Floyd. That finally just sunk it.

Peavy is kind of good.

Did you just read my sig? :cool:

peridot
10-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I absolutely hate the Twins, but I don't feel very "big picture" about this. Destroy the Tigers with authority. If the Twins are division champions, then so be it, whatever. But stomp the team you're playing right this moment into dust if at all possible.

cheezheadsoxfan
10-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I absolutely hate the Twins, but I don't feel very "big picture" about this. Destroy the Tigers with authority. If the Twins are division champions, then so be it, whatever. But stomp the team you're playing right this moment into dust if at all possible.

Agreed. Whoever wins it will just be cannon fodder for the Yankees anyway.

I have to admit, after the first trade attempt I was rather anti-Peavy. I have seen the light.:worship: What fun watching him pitch.

GlassSox
10-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Yes indeed, end the year with solid wins and whoever wins the division so be it.:cool:

LoveYourSuit
10-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Watching Peavy pitch tonight kind of erases the bad taste in my mouth from a miserable season.

There is so much hope for next season.

soxinem1
10-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Agreed. Whoever wins it will just be cannon fodder for the Yankees anyway.

I have to admit, after the first trade attempt I was rather anti-Peavy. I have seen the light.:worship: What fun watching him pitch.

I've seen too many NYY teams win 100 games (or close to it) and blow it in October.

That said, I hope DET wins somehow before Sunday so Verlander can open against them.

Verlander, Porcello, and Jackson is not too bad in a short series.....

GlassSox
10-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Watching Peavy pitch tonight kind of erases the bad taste in my mouth from a miserable season.

There is so much hope for next season.

Yes. Just when I think I can't stand watching any more, they manage to suck me back into watching the games. Oh hell, I guess that's why we love baseball and the White Sox.

slavko
10-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Tigers swallowed an olive? If they lose tomorrow, they'll have swallowed the whole jar. I know, the city needs it, the state needs it. Remember when NY needed it right after 9/11/2001 and didn't get it? History could be repeating itself.

And in a brighter spirit, we got ourselves a pitching stud.

Zisk77
10-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I hope the Sox win their final two games and the Twins lose their final two.

**** the Twins. I never root for them.

But wouldn't it be more excruciating to have their final hopes crushed in the final inning of the final day in their dump? Maybe on fly ball lost in the ceiling!:wink:

SOXSINCE'70
10-02-2009, 11:09 PM
a 1.35 ERA in 3 starts.

Yeah, Jake Peavy can't handle the AL :rolleyes:

Against two Central Division opponents,the Royals and Tiggers.
Can't wait to play the Blow Jays next season, because,if all goes according to plan,
Roy Halliday and Jake Peavy will meet at least once.
So far.....So very,very good.:cool:

Trav
10-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Tigers swallowed an olive? If they lose tomorrow, they'll have swallowed the whole jar. I know, the city needs it, the state needs it. Remember when NY needed it right after 9/11/2001 and didn't get it? History could be repeating itself.

And in a brighter spirit, we got ourselves a pitching stud.

They need it? The fans seemed indifferent. I couldn't believe how many smiling faces there were tonight. It was like being at a regular season game with nothing on the line.

Peavy said he still doesn't feel 100%.

hawkjt
10-03-2009, 01:23 AM
15 innings, no runs vs the Tigers? It is like they have no chance vs Peavy.
He looks like a Tom Seaver in his prime out there. Just a very comfortable watch. Like you know that if someone does happen to get on, he just bears down even harder and puts them quickly away.

This team right now is better than the Tigers, no doubt. We have our Verlander now, but better pitchers backing him up. I would take my chances with Peavy -MB going vs the Yanks right now in NY.

Do the Tigers know that they are one game from having Johnny Danks stand between them and the playoffs? I do not care if Verlander is on the mound Sunday, Danks has that nasty gleam in his eye, had it last start, like he wants to screw someone up real bad....oh my.

Trav
10-03-2009, 01:31 AM
15 innings, no runs vs the Tigers? It is like they have no chance vs Peavy.
He looks like a Tom Seaver in his prime out there. Just a very comfortable watch. Like you know that if someone does happen to get on, he just bears down even harder and puts them quickly away.

This team right now is better than the Tigers, no doubt. We have our Verlander now, but better pitchers backing him up. I would take my chances with Peavy -MB going vs the Yanks right now in NY.

Do the Tigers know that they are one game from having Johnny Danks stand between them and the playoffs? I do not care if Verlander is on the mound Sunday, Danks has that nasty gleam in his eye, had it last start, like he wants to screw someone up real bad....oh my.

I may drive back to Detroit if the Sox have the chance to keep the Tigers from making the playoffs on Sunday. It would be great to watch Danks and Verlander.

doublem23
10-03-2009, 01:49 AM
I'll admit I was a bit worried about Jake's transition to the A.L. and the much less spacious Cell, but this stint since coming off the DL has me completely psyched for 2010. No reason we can't make the play-offs next year, barring fluke injuries.

VMSNS
10-03-2009, 02:28 AM
Peavy is the lightning rod this team needs. This guy is just a frickin' monster out there. I hope to God his competitive edge wears off on the other guys.

soxfan22
10-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Over here in London I'm singing the praises of Jake Peavy! :bandance:

kittle42
10-03-2009, 04:40 AM
Anyone still want Richard and Poreda back?

Zisk77
10-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Anyone still want Richard and Poreda back?

Who?

kufram
10-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Peavy appears to have the 2 ingredients that have been missing for a few years. That is an overpowering will to win and execution on the field. I hope that a few of the other players pick this up through osmosis from him because it is very hard to beat on a baseball diamond.

Craig Grebeck
10-03-2009, 09:41 AM
So Tyler Flowers is still a ghost, right? Good to see us still running bench players for 2010 out there instead of our best positional prospect.

LauraJ14
10-03-2009, 09:51 AM
So Tyler Flowers is still a ghost, right? Good to see us still running bench players for 2010 out there instead of our best positional prospect.

So AJ should be benched so Flowers can play? Sorry but I want AJ as my catcher as long as he is here, not overly impressed with Flowers as yet.

LongLiveFisk
10-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Over here in London I'm singing the praises of Jake Peavy! :bandance:

Cool! Are you wearing any Sox gear out there, and are people that knowledgeable about "America's past-time"? :smile:

DirtySox
10-03-2009, 10:41 AM
So AJ should be benched so Flowers can play? Sorry but I want AJ as my catcher as long as he is here, not overly impressed with Flowers as yet.

Not overly impressed in his first 15 AB's and all 2 games he's caught? These are valuable AB's he can get at the major league level at a point where winning or losing doesn't matter. That luxury isn't available often. He should at bare minimum be DHing.

soxfan22
10-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Cool! Are you wearing any Sox gear out there, and are people that knowledgeable about "America's past-time"? :smile:

I had my Podsednik shirt on yesterday and got a few "looks" from people, which was ok by me! I wear my Sox cap to work from time to time.

Craig Grebeck
10-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Why aren't you impressed?

Edit: and what does it matter if AJ doesn't catch three games in Detroit to end the season? You want him to catch "as long as he's here" -- so does that mean you don't see the logic in letting his eventual replacement put some time in at the big league level?
Not overly impressed in his first 15 AB's and all 2 games he's caught? These are valuable AB's he can get at the major league level at a point where winning or losing doesn't matter. That luxury isn't available often. He should at bare minimum be DHing.
Exactly. This is nonsense. It's good to just have Tyler around, but there's absolutely no reason why you can't just put him at DH every single day.

jmeneghini1433
10-03-2009, 11:28 AM
:smile:Peavy is an ace.

voodoochile
10-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Peavy is selling 2010 season ticket packages as I type...

LauraJ14
10-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Why aren't you impressed?

Edit: and what does it matter if AJ doesn't catch three games in Detroit to end the season? You want him to catch "as long as he's here" -- so does that mean you don't see the logic in letting his eventual replacement put some time in at the big league level?

Exactly. This is nonsense. It's good to just have Tyler around, but there's absolutely no reason why you can't just put him at DH every single day.

I want AJ as my starting catcher for as long as possible, not ready to start auditioning his replacements but that is me speaking as a fan.
What do you see in Flowers that suggests he is MLB ready other than he can hit in the minors? Lots of players do that and don't make in the majors,

Dick Allen
10-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I want AJ as my starting catcher for as long as possible, not ready to start auditioning his replacements but that is me speaking as a fan.
What do you see in Flowers that suggests he is MLB ready other than he can hit in the minors? Lots of players do that and don't make in the majors,What better time than right now to find out what he can do? It's a long season,especially for a catcher, it wouldn't hurt AJ to take it easy for a few days.

Konerko05
10-03-2009, 03:13 PM

That's fine, but it's not possible for A.J. to catch forever. Eventually he is going to be replaced. He is 32 years old with one year left on his contract, so that time is coming soon. Catchers age faster than other position because of the extra wear and tear on their body. It's nothing personal against A.J., it's just being realistic.

What do you see in Flowers that suggests he is MLB ready other than he can hit in the minors? Lots of players do that and don't make in the majors,

Well how can we see anything if he's not playing? That's a big part of the reason why he should be playing right now. It's a minor audition while getting our top hitting prospect acclimated to the league. Any time you can give a young player experience with no risk involved, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

A.J., as a 32 year old catcher, could use the rest right now anyways. He catches more games than most catchers in the league. Giving him a couple days off when the team is completely out of it is doing him a favor.

Tragg
10-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Why not?
And even if not, why isn't he DHing?
It's ridiculous the way Guillen handles garbage time. In 2007, Ozzie couldn't get enough of Meyers and Cintron.

A. Cavatica
10-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Why not?
And even if not, why isn't he DHing?
It's ridiculous the way Guillen handles garbage time. In 2007, Ozzie couldn't get enough of Meyers and Cintron.

I'm drawing a blank...Meyers?? :scratch:

Waysouthsider
10-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd sure like to find the minor leaguer who hit that comebacker that hit Peavy back in August....what would have this season looked like without that happening?

I know AJ is close to some personal best records right now....but I'd like to see Flowers too...

Tragg
10-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Mike Myers, Ozzie's 38 year old set-up man. By pitching him, Guillen wouldn't have to trouble himself with young pitchers like getting Gio some work.
It was an absolute joke in 2007.

JB98
10-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Mike Myers, Ozzie's 38 year old set-up man. By pitching him, Guillen wouldn't have to trouble himself with young pitchers like getting Gio some work.

Look at the bright side: KW picked up Myers midseason in 2007 thinking he could help the team as a LOOGY in 2008. But Myers threw the ball so poorly and squandered all his opportunities down the stretch in 2007, causing KW to decline his option and get rid of him. It worked out for the best.

doublem23
10-03-2009, 09:44 PM

Perhaps you haven't noticed this, but Gio is also terrible at baseball.

soxinem1
10-03-2009, 09:49 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fHn-jgdR1SE/SnN3Cvn169I/AAAAAAAAA00/tkN-jsuRGLI/s400/michael-myers11.jpg

Craig Grebeck
10-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Define: terrible. I'm guessing you'll have some crow to eat in 1-2 years. Gio has taken serious steps towards becoming a good major league pitcher.

Tragg
10-03-2009, 11:33 PM
A matter of opinion and completely irrelevant.

I guess Flowers and Fields are useless too in Ozzie-land.

doublem23
10-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Define: terrible. I'm guessing you'll have some crow to eat in 1-2 years. Gio has taken serious steps towards becoming a good major league pitcher.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrible

Yeah, I'm really fretting the guy with a 1.7 WHIP in OAKLAND will pan out.

:rolling:

A matter of opinion and completely irrelevant.

I guess Flowers and Fields are useless too in Ozzie-land.

I have no idea what's up with Flowers, but yes, Josh Fields is worthless. He already got an 80-game tryout and failed miserably. I mean, are you seriously stumping for Fields? This is a joke, right? No one could possibly be crying that Josh Fields isn't getting enough PT, right? How could anyone have a problem with Bacon playing everyday at the expense of Fields?

Craig Grebeck
10-04-2009, 08:17 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrible

Yeah, I'm really fretting the guy with a 1.7 WHIP in OAKLAND will pan out.

:rolling:
He's cut his walks while increasing his strikeouts, he's increased groundballs at the expense of flyballs, and has decreased his HR/FB rate. Gio's going to be a solid to above average pitcher in this league. It wouldn't shock me at all if he turned into Wandy Rodriguez.