PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mauer Stealing Signs

whitem0nkey
10-01-2009, 12:51 PM
HhWYrmcSDAU&

JohnTucker0814
10-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Part of baseball... I see no problem with this at all. If it was against the rules to steal signs, the catcher wouldn't have to put down more than 1 sign.

Noneck
10-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Not shocking at all with a very well managed, fundamentally sound, smart team and a great organization. They do what is needed to win without the greatest amount of God given talent.

october23sp
10-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Smart Player.

whitem0nkey
10-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Gotta love the game-within-the-game here.

Dibbs
10-01-2009, 01:43 PM
That is a really cool video with the text in there. Baseball can seem boring to some people, but there is so much detail going on in every game.

g0g0
10-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Great video! As long as they aren't pulling a Patriots I'm all for people trying to figure out the other team's signs. Smart baseball. Thanks for sharing!

PaleHoser
10-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Fascinating video. Great find.

Boondock Saint
10-01-2009, 02:02 PM
If you're the catcher, and you aren't changing the signs with a runner on second, you're asking to get hit. Mauer is a smart player, and he took what they gave him.

Marqhead
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4522901

Twins are denying it. They find it laughable.

Boondock Saint
10-01-2009, 04:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4522901

Twins are denying it. They find it laughable.

I don't see what the big deal is. If I were Mauer, I would have laughed. I would have laughed because A) it isn't illegal, and B) Because they didn't do anything to keep him from doing it C) REPEATEDLY!

jdm2662
10-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. If I were Mauer, I would have laughed. I would have laughed because A) it isn't illegal, and B) Because they didn't do anything to keep him from doing it C) REPEATEDLY!

Seriously. I would laugh too, and I hate the Twins...

MarkZ35
10-01-2009, 04:28 PM
That's baseball. It's the games within the game. If Verlander has a problem with it, then throw one at Mauers hip next time he is up. I highly doubt he would because he knows that it is a part of the game.

slavko
10-01-2009, 05:58 PM
That's baseball. It's the games within the game. If Verlander has a problem with it, then throw one at Mauers hip next time he is up. I highly doubt he would because he knows that it is a part of the game.

A beautiful game. Throwing at someone, like the current batter, in this situation is common and they're asking for it. The Twins aren't geniuses and it isn't exotic, but commomplace. The reverse beauty part of it is to signal changeup and then throw 99 MPH at the batter's Adam's Apple. That'll learn the sonofaguns.

beasly213
10-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Cool video. Thanks for posting :gulp:

Twins_Morneau
10-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Awesome vid, the beauty of baseball right there. Maybe this had to do with this afternoons semi brawl, that I missed because of work...

whitem0nkey
10-01-2009, 06:34 PM
The Tigers broadcast crew is talking about Mauer stealing signs during today's broadcast. The color commentary guy said "In the end it didn't make a difference as Verlander could have announced his pitches beforehand and they would not have hit them. He was lights out."

gobears1987
10-01-2009, 06:37 PM
The Tigers broadcast crew is talking about Mauer stealing signs during today's broadcast. The color commentary guy said "In the end it didn't make a difference as Verlander could have announced his pitches beforehand and they would not have hit them. He was lights out."Yeah I think he could say he's going to throw that 98 mph fastball and they still wouldn't hit it.

TDog
10-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Yeah I think he could say he's going to throw that 98 mph fastball and they still wouldn't hit it.

Art Kusnyer tells a story about catching a Nolan Ryan (it might have been a no-hitter) when Ryan was lights out but conferred with his catcher several times about what they were going to do about a man in the second deck who was stealing signs and signaling to the batter what was coming by the way he was sitting. Cave's point was that even if the hitter knew what was coming, he didn't have a chance that day. And, of course, the story is hilarious.

Stealing signs is part of the game. That doesn't mean the victimized team shrugs shoulders and goes on its merry way. In 2000, no a day when the White Sox were slaughtering the Yankees (facing Jake Westbrook in his major-league debut), a fight almost erupted because the Yankees believed the White Sox were stealing signs.

Brian26
10-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm probably simplifying this, and I also have no idea where this happened within the context of the game (i.e. did the Twins have runners on 2nd base multiple times during the game, and did they have someone in the clubhouse watching the tv during these situations), but...

Seems like Laird, who's supposed to be an outstanding catcher, had a hard time changing the signs. It almost looks like he didn't have a 3rd, 4th or 5th back-up set of signs ready, which could have been as simple as adding an identifier like sweeping the dirt with his throwing hand or touching his chest protector or mask or the top of his helmet.

Daver
10-01-2009, 11:05 PM
It almost looks like he didn't have a 3rd, 4th or 5th back-up set of signs ready, which could have been as simple as adding an identifier like sweeping the dirt with his throwing hand or touching his chest protector or mask or the top of his helmet.

Your best bet is to change the way they are delivered, when I was getting signs picked from second I stopped trying to mask the finger signs and used the way I adjusted my mask or changed my crouch to send the signal. I used to get irritated when guys stole my signs, adjusting the left shin guard strap was the signal to hit the batter, if I grabbed my mask twice after that it meant hard.

soxfanreggie
10-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Your best bet is to change the way they are delivered, when I was getting signs picked from second I stopped trying to mask the finger signs and used the way I adjusted my mask or changed my crouch to send the signal. I used to get irritated when guys stole my signs, adjusting the left shin guard strap was the signal to hit the batter, if I grabbed my mask twice after that it meant hard.

How many brawls resulted from you having guys hit for deciphering your signs.

asindc
10-02-2009, 09:14 AM

I see... you asked your teammate to hit an opponent with the ball because his teammate had done something perfectly legal? I wonder how that would go over in other sports. RB in football huddle to QB: "Next time you get a chance, hit their MLB with the ball. He decoded our last few plays." Center in basketball huddle to PG: "Next time you get a chance, hit their center with the ball. He decoded our last few plays." Defenseman in hockey huddle to center: "Next time you get a chance, hit their defenseman with the puck (or your stick). He has read our last few plays."

ma-gaga
10-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Awesome vid, the beauty of baseball right there. Maybe this had to do with this afternoons semi brawl, that I missed because of work...

well. I didn't see it, but I was listening to it. The radio crew "had no idea" why Mijares threw behind Everett. It seemed like it was completely in the head of Mijares.

According to the radio crew, when Delmon Young got hit in the knee, he turned, yelled, and pointed at Mijares. The AP report said he screamed at the Detroit bench. I haven't read today's recap of the game, so I don't know how the Twins/media are spinning the story, but the immediate reaction was it was all about Mijares throwing behind Everett that caused the brouhaha and nothing to do with Joe Mauer.

:gulp:

voodoochile
10-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I see... you asked your teammate to hit an opponent with the ball because his teammate had done something perfectly legal? I wonder how that would go over in other sports. RB in football huddle to QB: "Next time you get a chance, hit their MLB with the ball. He decoded our last few plays." Center in basketball huddle to PG: "Next time you get a chance, hit their center with the ball. He decoded our last few plays." Defenseman in hockey huddle to center: "Next time you get a chance, hit their defenseman with the puck (or your stick). He has read our last few plays."

It was a different game even as recently as when Daver played. Drilling guys was much more common. Intimidation was considered part of the game.

asindc
10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhZNHtfAXYFmpfx.DLAV6Ag5nYcB?slug=jp-twins100109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

slavko
10-02-2009, 11:14 AM
It was a different game even as recently as when Daver played. Drilling guys was much more common. Intimidation was considered part of the game.

Of course. Hitting a batter for whatever reason is also completely legal. Yes, I'm serious.

Nellie_Fox
10-02-2009, 11:24 AM
According to the radio crew, when Delmon Young got hit in the knee, he turned, yelled, and pointed at Mijares. The AP report said he screamed at the Detroit bench. I haven't read today's recap of the game, so I don't know how the Twins/media are spinning the story, but the immediate reaction was it was all about Mijares throwing behind Everett that caused the brouhaha and nothing to do with Joe Mauer. I was watching, and Young definitely pointed into the Twins' dugout while screaming angrily. After the game, Gardenhire said "we screwed up. Mijares shouldn't have thrown behind him. They did what they had to do, and now it's over." So, Gardenhire took full responsibility for what happened.

asindc
10-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Of course. Hitting a batter for whatever reason is also completely legal. Yes, I'm serious.

Actually, intentionally hitting anyone with a ball is illegal.

jabrch
10-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I would have no problem with the Tigers drilling Mauer (not in the head) the next three times he is up. Heck - I'd do it anyhow. Might as well.

ma-gaga
10-02-2009, 01:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhZNHtfAXYFmpfx.DLAV6Ag5nYcB?slug=jp-twins100109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

yeah. It looks like Yahoo/AP got it right. I read the Yahoo! boxscore recap immediately after the game and it said that Delmon pointed at the "Detroit dugout". Checking out the recap today (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=291001106), they've edited it to say "Minnesota dugout".

(8th paragraph, I'd quote it, but I know the AP doesn't like anyone even thinking about quoting their material)

So yeah. Kid (Mijares) was stupid. Delmon got plunked. End of story. :gulp:

doublem23
10-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Actually, intentionally hitting anyone with a ball is illegal.

Perhaps on the street, but not on the diamond. I mean, I played high school baseball less than 10 years ago, and I know I got hit once or twice intentionally. It's not really a big deal.

tacosalbarojas
10-02-2009, 01:32 PM
I was watching, and Young definitely pointed into the Twins' dugout while screaming angrily. After the game, Gardenhire said "we screwed up. Mijares shouldn't have thrown behind him. They did what they had to do, and now it's over." So, Gardenhire took full responsibility for what happened.
Mijares is lucky Delmon didn't throw his bat at him.

Twins_Morneau
10-02-2009, 02:26 PM
That was pretty hilarious, a player charging his own pitcher...

asindc
10-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Perhaps on the street, but not on the diamond. I mean, I played high school baseball less than 10 years ago, and I know I got hit once or twice intentionally. It's not really a big deal.

Rule 8.02(d) states:

"The pitcher shall not intentionally pitch at batter." Here is the link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/pitcher_8.jsp

As the rule further provides, that's why umpires have the authority to either warn the pitcher and manager, expel the pitcher and manager from the game, or warn both teams after the incident.

FloridaTigers
10-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Impossible guys, the media has always told us that the Twins "play the game right".

voodoochile
10-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Impossible guys, the media has always told us that the Twins "play the game right".

And what's wrong with what he did? Smart fundamental baseball.

Nellie_Fox
10-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Impossible guys, the media has always told us that the Twins "play the game right".Yeah, I'm sure no one on the Tigers has ever, or would ever, steal signs if the opportunity arose.

FloridaTigers
10-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I never said there was anything wrong. I'm being cheeky to the fact that every broadcaster in baseball is always talking about how the Twins play the game "right". I guess stealing signs is also the "right way" to play.

voodoochile
10-02-2009, 04:30 PM
I never said there was anything wrong. I'm being cheeky to the fact that every broadcaster in baseball is always talking about how the Twins play the game "right". I guess stealing signs is also the "right way" to play.

If you can get away with it, absolutely. This isn't air conditioning fans or lights on the scoreboard or a TV in the dugout. Catchers change signals with a man on second exactly for this reason. It's part of the game and it's smart baseball.

Daver
10-02-2009, 08:17 PM
How many brawls resulted from you having guys hit for deciphering your signs.

None. It was considered message sent and received.

SoxNation05
10-05-2009, 06:51 PM
If you ain't cheatin' you ain't trying.

JermaineDye05
10-05-2009, 06:52 PM
If you ain't cheatin' you ain't trying.

I hope teal is implied here.

If not, then it sounds like you're condoning steroid and HGH use.

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Until he retired a few years ago, we used to have one of the best in the business of stealing signs in Joe Nossek.

Zakath
10-05-2009, 10:17 PM
If you're dumb enough to get your signs stolen, too bad.

As long as it's not off-field personnel, what's the problem?