PDA

View Full Version : Cecil Cooper for Hitting Coach?

PeteWard
10-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Not a fact, not a rumor. It's just a thought.

Loved him when he was on the Brewers. He was one of the best situational hitters I have ever seen, way before the term was even coined.

And that is what the Sox are so bad at.

Would he take it after being a manager? Wouldn't Chicago be a good place for him to work for a few years and try to earn some credit back to be a mgr.?

Or did I miss something --has he already taken another job?

Any thoughts?

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2009, 01:46 AM
The Sox just re-signed all the coaches. There is no opening for a hitting coach.

It's Dankerific
10-01-2009, 01:59 AM
The Sox just re-signed all the coaches. There is no opening for a hitting coach.

Hawk always talks about having two!!!

russ99
10-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Not a fact, not a rumor. It's just a thought.

Loved him when he was on the Brewers. He was one of the best situational hitters I have ever seen, way before the term was even coined.

And that is what the Sox are so bad at.

Would he take it after being a manager? Wouldn't Chicago be a good place for him to work for a few years and try to earn some credit back to be a mgr.?

Or did I miss something --has he already taken another job?

Any thoughts?

He got the axe as manager in Houston because he completely lost the clubhouse and made bad decisions. Also, there were a few major incidents where didn't stand up for his players. You can chalk some of it up to inexperience, but there are personality issues as well. I don't think he's getting another big-league level job soon, solely based on his name or playing career. Especially after doing a such poor job managing a major league club.

He might be a minor league manager or organizational hitting instructor. That's how he can re-build his coaching career. But maybe he could be an option a year or two from now if the Sox ever get around to firing Walker...

DumpJerry
10-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Hawk always talks about having two!!!
Hawk, thank goodness, is no longer the GM of the Sox. If Hawk says we need two, maybe we can go without one completely.

ewokpelts
10-01-2009, 08:55 AM
The astros are a sad organization. Cooper had crap to work with and still sniffed at the division title for a bit.

That said, fire walker. I'd be a better hitting coach, and I've lost track of how many times paul konerko grounded into double plays!

DumpJerry
10-01-2009, 09:07 AM
That said, fire walker. I'd be a better hitting coach, and I've lost track of how many times paul konerko grounded into double plays!
15 times (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/konerpa01.shtml) in 612 plate appearances after 150 games this season. Totally unacceptable!:rolleyes:

Maybe you lost track because it did not happen that often (once every ten games he appears in).

TheOldRoman
10-01-2009, 09:53 AM
The Sox just re-signed all the coaches. There is no opening for a hitting coach.Technically, Kenny said they would all be coming back, but they haven't started negotiations.

Of course, Walker appears to be "tenured", so he will have this job for life barring a felony or sex scandal.

palehozenychicty
10-01-2009, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't mind it, but we know that Greg Walker isn't going anywhere, no matter the feeble offense. :angry: