PDA

View Full Version : Where did our traded / let go players from the last year end up?

It's Dankerific
09-30-2009, 09:32 PM
I just thought of this earlier today, weird:

Brian Anderson: Playoffs with Boston
Nick Swisher: Playoffs with Yankees
Orlando Cabrera: Fighting for the AL Central with the Twins
Javy: Fighting for the NL Wildcard in an improbable late charge.

Who else am I missing? Hopefully someone thats sitting in the cellar?

JermaineDye05
09-30-2009, 09:39 PM
It's just a coincidence.

For a while there, Uribe was fighting for the Wild Card with the Giants. In fact he was carrying them.

JermaineDye05
09-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Oh yeah and if you're counting trades this year, Jose is with COL and Thome with LA but I don't think they really mattered that much in either team making it to the post season.

It's Dankerific
09-30-2009, 09:50 PM
You kinda expect the late trades to be going to a contender, so I dont think we'll count those.

Jjav829
09-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Clayton Richard - 20 games out of first with Padres
Adam Russell - Ditto
Toby Hall - ???? Had to undergo labrum surgery in February while with Astros
Jerry Owens - Mariners minor league affiliate
Ken Griffey Jr. - 12 games back with Mariners

It's Dankerific
09-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Adam Russell - Ditto

Thats better =)

DumpJerry
09-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Adam Russell - Ditto
Well, so much for the "Kenny Sucks" undertone of this thread.

It's Dankerific
09-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Well, so much for the "Kenny Sucks" undertone of this thread.

Yeah, thats the undertone alright. :rolleyes:

I forgot we should be celebrating that we're such good trading partners!

Its more like the Weekly Oddities in the Reader.

Boondock Saint
09-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Precisely zero of those guys are carrying their teams. If you want to say Javy, that's fine, but in the end I would rather have Peavy at 5 million more and Tyler Flowers than Javy, Poreda, Richard, Carter and Russell.

kittle42
10-01-2009, 01:14 AM
If Wise has a few more hits, he may finish better than your Savior.

It's Dankerific
10-01-2009, 01:24 AM
If Wise has a few more hits, he may finish better than your Savior.

And from left field comes the totally unbiased, not interested and way over it kittle42!!!!

PS, I know its not fair to Wise since he's had 25 at bats and Brian has had only 5, but Brian has 1 more HR, the same amount of runs, 1 less RBI and 1 more BB in the month of September.

Tremendous!

goofymsfan
10-01-2009, 05:07 AM
Adam Russell - Ditto

While the M's are 12 games back this year they are also currently 21 games better this year than last and have guarenteed themselves a winning season. Far cry better than the 101 loss season just a year ago.

spawn
10-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Mike McDougal- 37 games out of first with the Nationals
Corky Miller- 14 games out of first with the Reds
Lance Broadway- 25 1/2 games out of first with the Mets

JB98
10-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Of all the players mentioned in this thread, I don't know that there's a single one I'd want back.

OK, I think Clayton Richard is going to have a good career. But I'd rather have Peavy.

Dick Allen
10-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Clayton Richard pitched 7 innings of 1-hit ball against the Dodgers last night.:o:

DumpJerry
10-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Clayton Richard pitched 7 innings of 1-hit ball against the Dodgers last night.:o:
The Dodgers lost to the Pirates 11-1 the other day. They're resting their "A" Team.

Dick Allen
10-01-2009, 01:44 PM
The Dodgers lost to the Pirates 11-1 the other day. They're resting their "A" Team.They played their regulars last night, they haven't clinched their division yet. Just haven't been playing well.

kittle42
10-01-2009, 01:48 PM
And from left field comes the totally unbiased, not interested and way over it kittle42!!!!

PS, I know its not fair to Wise since he's had 25 at bats and Brian has had only 5, but Brian has 1 more HR, the same amount of runs, 1 less RBI and 1 more BB in the month of September.

Tremendous!

D. Wise is Chicago tough! Grindy!

DumpJerry
10-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Why the surprise? Richard is intimately aware (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200906250.shtml) of the Dodgers and their weaknesses and he learned from experience.

BeeBeeRichard
10-01-2009, 03:21 PM
How could everyone forget ...

Joe Crede - finishing up (off the field) another injury-filled year, this one on the Twins' dime.

chisox616
10-01-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm a little disappointed by this topic. I was hoping it would be a wrap up of these former Sox players' season with their new team. But he teams record has nothing to do with one player! Hah.

So out of curiosity and boredom from sitting in my History of India class, I'll do my best to rectify that.

PITCHERS:
Mike McDougal: Nationals- 1-1, 3.70 ERA, 29 K, 31 BB, 18 Saves
Lance Broadway:Mets- 6.75 ERA, 9 K, 6 BB, 14.2 IP
Clayton Richard: Padres- 5-2, 4.08 ERA, 48 K, 34 BB
Adam Russell: Padres- 3-1, 4.22 ERA, 11 K, 10 BB, 10.2 IP
Javy Vazquez: Braves- 15-10, 2.87 ERA, 238 K, 44 BB
Jose Contreras: Rockies- 1-0, 1.93 ERA, 14 K, 7 BB, 14 IP

HITTERS:
Corky Miller: Reds- .192 BA, .306 OBP, 1 HR, 10 RBI
Toby Hall: Astros- Didn't play
Jerry Owens: Mariners- Minor leagues
Ken Griffey Jr: Mariners- .215 BA, .324 OBP, 18 HR, 56 RBI
Brian Anderson: Red Sox- .167 BA, .214 OBP, 2 H, 1 HR, 2 RBI, in 14 PA
Nick Swisher: Yankees- .251 BA, .369 OBP, 29 HR, 82 RBI
Orlando Cabrera: Twins- .272 BA, .299 OBP, 4 HR, 29 RBI, 2 SB
Jim Thome: Dodgers- 3 H, 3 RBI, .200 OBP, in 15 PA

Tragg
10-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Brian Anderson: Red Sox- .167 BA, .214 OBP, 5 H, 1 HR, 2 RBI, in 14 PA
Something doesn't quite add up there.

gobears1987
10-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Adam Russell - Ditto
Let's not forget Mike MacDougal.... infinity games back win the Nationals

JermaineDye05
10-01-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm a little disappointed by this topic. I was hoping it would be a wrap up of these former Sox players' season with their new team. But he teams record has nothing to do with one player! Hah.

So out of curiosity and boredom from sitting in my History of India class, I'll do my best to rectify that.

PITCHERS:
Mike McDougal: Nationals- 1-1, 3.70 ERA, 29 K, 31 BB, 18 Saves
Lance Broadway:Mets- 6.75 ERA, 9 K, 6 BB, 14.2 IP
Clayton Richard: Padres- 5-2, 4.08 ERA, 48 K, 34 BB
Adam Russell: Padres- 3-1, 4.22 ERA, 11 K, 10 BB, 10.2 IP
Javy Vasquez: Braves- 15-10, 2.87 ERA, 238 K, 44 BB
Jose Contreras: Rockies- 1-0, 1.93 ERA, 14 K, 7 BB, 14 IP

HITTERS:
Corky Miller: Reds- .192 BA, .306 OBP, 1 HR, 10 RBI
Toby Hall: Astros- Didn't play
Jerry Owens: Mariners- Minor leagues
Ken Griffey Jr: Mariners- .215 BA, .324 OBP, 18 HR, 56 RBI
Nick Swisher: Yankees- .251 BA, .369 OBP, 29 HR, 82 RBI
Orlando Cabrera: Twins- .272 BA, .299 OBP, 4 HR, 29 RBI, 2 SB
Jim Thome: Dodgers- 3 H, 3 RBI, .200 OBP, in 15 PA

Jesus, he's not here anymore and still people are getting his name wrong.

Please tell me this was just a typo. :praying:

DumpJerry
10-01-2009, 06:56 PM

Something doesn't quite add up there.
For 5 hits to be a .167 BA, he would need 30 at bats, not plate appearances which would presumably be higher if he draws any walks or HBPs.

mzh
10-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Before we continue jumping to conclusions, let's add up what the difference between what we gave up and what we're throwing out there now is.

Richard: 4-2, 4.08 E.R.A, BB/K 34/48
Torres/Hudson/Peavy: 4-3, 4.50 ERA, 30/47
Advantage: Even

Nick Swisher: .251/29/82, BB/K 93/125
Rios/Wise/BA: .214/7/30, 29/76
Advantage: Even with the star-studded lineup and the D of those 3 and Swish Swishing, Some of his O production has been sorely missed in those outfield slots after TCQ went down.

Orlando Cabrera: .278/8/73, 36/69, 13/17 SB
Chris Getz: .261/2/31, 30/54, 25/27
Ad: I compare Getz to OC rather than Alexei because despite TCM moving to short, Getz is effectively filling Cabrera's roster spot. This is a tough one, and OC's power numbers might lead you to think he has been better, but you have to take into consideration that Getz is hitting in a totally different lineup slot, and is obviously a much better baserunner. Because Beckham has filled OC-style production in the two hole, I would have to say that this is a relatively even tradeoff.

Crede/Uribe: .247, 24, 95, 52/109
Beckham: .272, 14, 63, 40/65
Ad:You have to go with Beckham here not only because of his future but because of how he manages to come relatively near to matching the power numbers of those two players, who had more than 650 at bats combined, while he has only played in 90+ games and 370 At Bats. Beckham's K/BB rate is terrific, and he did an excellent job of putting up Crede-esque numbers while filling the vacancy left in the 2 whole going all the way back to last year.

All in all, it is hard to tell whether we would have fared better or worse this year if we had kept or not traded certain players, but that is against the point of these trades. This was a rebuilding year to begin with, and these trades were clearly made for our future, and the only reason why we are making these comparisons now is because KW realized that this was an incredibly weak division that anybody had a chance of winning, so he made some last grasp moves. So look at all of these guys 3 years from now, then we'll decide whether those trades were a good idea.

JB98
10-01-2009, 09:19 PM
For 5 hits to be a .167 BA, he would need 30 at bats, not plate appearances which would presumably be higher if he draws any walks or HBPs.

Just to clear up the confusion, The Great One does have 14 plate appearances with Boston. He's 2-for-12, which pencils out to a .167 clip. He's got a walk and a sacrifice fly.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/anderbr03.shtml?redir

DumpJerry
10-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Just to clear up the confusion, The Great One does have 14 plate appearances with Boston. He's 2-for-12, which pencils out to a .167 clip. He's got a walk and a sacrifice fly.

The poster said he has five hits with a .167 BA. Looks like it was a typo.

TDog
10-02-2009, 08:14 AM

Losing Richard long before the Sox could pitch Peavy may have been the most damaging move the Sox experienced late in the season, to the current season, of course. The second move was picking up Rios and plugging in someone who hurt the team offensively and defensively later in the season. (Actually, the Sox fell out of the Race shortly after acquiring Rios.)

I hope both Peavy and Rios come back with strong seasons in 2010 to make up for the team's failure in 2009.

As for this season, Swisher is along for the ride with the Yankees and Cabrera is going to be a free agent in a few weeks for the Twins. The Twins aren't going to re-sign him, and they won't get any compensation for losing him.

Crede was left off the list, too. He's pretty much in the same position he was last year when the Sox were fighting to make the postseason.

chisox616
10-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Jesus, he's not here anymore and still people are getting his name wrong.

Please tell me this was just a typo. :praying:

BAH! I typed out "Vazquez" and thought to myself "Wait a minute, that's not right..."

I guess you could say I moved on.

chisox616
10-02-2009, 09:27 AM

Also you're right, I accidentally put his Runs instead of Hits. Give me a break guys, I did this in a matter of twenty minutes between a professor's lecture :tongue:.

CLR01
10-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Brian in Sox win.

It's Dankerific
10-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Brian in Sox win.

As it always is. As it always will be.

Craig Grebeck
10-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Losing Richard long before the Sox could pitch Peavy may have been the most damaging move the Sox experienced late in the season, to the current season, of course. The second move was picking up Rios and plugging in someone who hurt the team offensively and defensively later in the season. (Actually, the Sox fell out of the Race shortly after acquiring Rios.)

I hope both Peavy and Rios come back with strong seasons in 2010 to make up for the team's failure in 2009.

As for this season, Swisher is along for the ride with the Yankees and Cabrera is going to be a free agent in a few weeks for the Twins. The Twins aren't going to re-sign him, and they won't get any compensation for losing him.

Crede was left off the list, too. He's pretty much in the same position he was last year when the Sox were fighting to make the postseason.
Keep beating that anti-Rios drum over and over. Eventually you'll make a halfway logical point -- I just haven't seen it yet.

JermaineDye05
10-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Keep beating that anti-Rios drum over and over. Eventually you'll make a halfway logical point -- I just haven't seen it yet.

People seem to forget Jermaine nose diving in the second half. Not to mention Bobby's struggles, I can think of at least 3 games that we should have won if it weren't for the bullpen letting us down.

TDog
10-03-2009, 04:40 PM

On the eve of the first game Rios started for the Sox, the Sox were 1.5 games behind Detroit, in second place two games over .500. Rios has played regularly since and has only six RBIs in almost 40 games. He hasn't played good defense -- at least his defense has been bad enough that it has generated boos at the Cell and laughs from fans in a game I saw on the road. It would be ridiculous to think that Rios has helped the Sox at all this season. Had the Sox not picked up Rios and played Wise in his place, they might not be better off, but they wouldn't be any worse.

My point was that acquiring Peavy and Rios didn't help the Sox this season and I hope the moves end up helping the Sox next season.

I can't conceive of how anyone could argue with my point.

It's Dankerific
10-03-2009, 07:53 PM

He 2/2 today with a HR and 3 RBI. No chance Wise and his 3x the at bats since September catches him now!

soxinem1
10-03-2009, 10:04 PM

I'm not too sure about that, especially going to the new park with grass. He seems to fit in well with them.

TDog
10-04-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm not too sure about that, especially going to the new park with grass. He seems to fit in well with them.

Cabrera was vocal about not liking the weather in Chicago early in the 2008 season. The Twins might have a better chance of signing Cabrera if they weren't moving to an outdoor stadium.

Of course the A's signed him as a free agent before trading him to the Twins. The Twins could have signed him before the season but didn't and his A's contract (an odd deal all the way around) was set up so that after they lost him to free agency after the season, they wouldn't get any compensation in return.

Maybe Cabrera will sign with the Twins, but if he does, it might be that no other team wants him.

Craig Grebeck
10-04-2009, 05:02 AM
On the eve of the first game Rios started for the Sox, the Sox were 1.5 games behind Detroit, in second place two games over .500. Rios has played regularly since and has only six RBIs in almost 40 games. He hasn't played good defense -- at least his defense has been bad enough that it has generated boos at the Cell and laughs from fans in a game I saw on the road. It would be ridiculous to think that Rios has helped the Sox at all this season. Had the Sox not picked up Rios and played Wise in his place, they might not be better off, but they wouldn't be any worse.

My point was that acquiring Peavy and Rios didn't help the Sox this season and I hope the moves end up helping the Sox next season.

I can't conceive of how anyone could argue with my point.
Yeah, who could argue with you about Rios' defense when you're basing it off of two miscues rather than his collective defensive resumé?

SI1020
10-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah, who could argue with you about Rios' defense when you're basing it off of two miscues rather than his collective defensive resumé? His collective defensive resume is at best slightly above average. I'm not saying he's a bad pickup, but he has been putrid since coming to the Sox. Hopefully that will not be the case next year.

Craig Grebeck
10-04-2009, 11:18 AM
His collective defensive resume is at best slightly above average. I'm not saying he's a bad pickup, but he has been putrid since coming to the Sox. Hopefully that will not be the case next year.
Evidence?

TDog
10-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah, who could argue with you about Rios' defense when you're basing it off of two miscues rather than his collective defensive resumé?

Both of the fan reactions I mentioned were culminations of a pattern of play that fans had seen in the game and series, and neither involved the two routine fly balls he dropped. Rios' defensive resume has nothing to do with his play for the White Sox over the last six weeks. In fact, his metaphoric resume makes his play with the White Sox over the last six weeks all the more frustrating.

I'm not saying the Sox can't win with Rios in center in the future. But they won't win with Rios playing as he did when he came over to a team fighting for the division title.

The fact is, that one of several hitters with impressive offensive resumes could have picked it up and carried the White Sox to the division title. None did, and Rios was among them. He wasn't playing well for Toronto this season, and he hasn't played as well since coming to the White Sox.

That he hasn't helped the White Sox this season seems obvious.

RANDY WILES
10-04-2009, 02:01 PM
oF ALL THE PLAYERS, i WOULD WANT NoNE BACK-------If Javy was 20-0, I would still have no confidence in a game that mattered.

SI1020
10-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Evidence? My own observations. Then there are his defensive stats which you can see here.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/riosal01.shtml

You're not the first one here praising the defensive ability of Alex Rios. The evidence is that so far Rios has not been an improvement over the tandem of Brian Anderson and DeWayne Wise. That's brutal. Like I said, next year hopefully will be much better. Rios certainly is capable of filling the black hole that has been in CF for the Sox since 05.

Daver
10-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Rios certainly is capable of filling the black hole that has been in CF for the Sox since 05.

The White Sox had a left fielder playing center in 05.

johnr1note
10-04-2009, 05:14 PM
The White Sox had a left fielder playing center in 05.

Thank you. The legend of Aaron Rowand dies hard.

DumpJerry
10-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Who?

:duck:

Nellie_Fox
10-05-2009, 12:47 AM
But he runs into the wall! At full speed!!!

SI1020
10-05-2009, 10:39 AM
The White Sox had a left fielder playing center in 05. Aaron Rowand played RF primarily in the minor leagues. Between 2001-04 with the White Sox Rowand played CF in 299 games, LF in 98 and RF in 42. In 04 he played in CF in 126 games, starting 114 of them. He played RF in 12 games starting 8 times.

Thank you. The legend of Aaron Rowand dies hard. Although I may value Aaron Rowand more than some of you, I don't see how I was in any way trying to perpetuate a legend. I had no problems with trading him and others and getting Jim Thome in return. It still doesn't change the fact that CF has been a major problem since 05. Hopefully Alex Rios can end all that next year. I think he can, but I'm not sure he will. I don't see anything shocking or overly controversial about all that.