PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan and the Windy City Classic

soltrain21
09-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Pretty awesome video! I forgot how much I geeked out over this when I was little.

http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/blog/2009/09/30/video-michael-jordan-knocks-two-rbi-at-wrigley/

UChicagoHP
09-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Cubs-Sox didn't mean much that day...fans sure loved MJ, heck, he could probably still run for mayor and win easily.

Madvora
09-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Awesome post. That was great.

TDog
09-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Pretty awesome video! I forgot how much I geeked out over this when I was little.

http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/blog/2009/09/30/video-michael-jordan-knocks-two-rbi-at-wrigley/

And then he failed to score from second base on a double off the ivy. For all of his athletic ability, Michael Jordan really didn't know how to play baseball at the professional level.

I believe, though, that baseball should have embraced Michael Jordan for public relation reasons. Many players, including Sox players, were quoted saying negative things about his baseball career. It's unfortunate that Michael Jordan didn't concentrate on baseball from the beginning. Basketball certainly worked out for him, but baseball might have been a better sport with him in its talent pool.

nasox
09-30-2009, 11:53 PM
And then he failed to score from second base on a double off the ivy. For all of his athletic ability, Michael Jordan really didn't know how to play baseball at the professional level.

I believe, though, that baseball should have embraced Michael Jordan for public relation reasons. Many players, including Sox players, were quoted saying negative things about his baseball career. It's unfortunate that Michael Jordan didn't concentrate on baseball from the beginning. Basketball certainly worked out for him, but baseball might have been a better sport with him in its talent pool.

The idea that MJ could have done for MLB what he did for the NBA is laughable. Basketball is a more individualistic gane than baseball in the sense that one player can take over a game, series, league, etc.

35th&Shields
10-01-2009, 08:27 AM

There are a lot of people (including Reinsdorf, Walt Hriniak) who were amazed at how well MJ did with the Barons. He was playing AA ball and getting better on a daily basis. He wasn't playing Rookie Ball.

Those that criticized him and said he was making a joke of baseball and all that really didn't see the big picture of how much better he got in a short period of time. If not for the strike, who knows what he could have accomplished. I'm not saying he could have been an MLB starter, but there may have been a spot on someone's bench. MJ was a phenomenal athlete. He had a 48" vertical and ran a 4.3 40. He had huge hands and was 6' 6" of fast twitch muscle fibers and had great eyes. There aren't many guys like that in the world.

ewokpelts
10-01-2009, 01:23 PM
terry francona was his manager in Birmingham. And he has nothing but praise for MJ's work ethic

downstairs
10-01-2009, 01:48 PM
There are a lot of people (including Reinsdorf, Walt Hriniak) who were amazed at how well MJ did with the Barons. He was playing AA ball and getting better on a daily basis. He wasn't playing Rookie Ball.

Those that criticized him and said he was making a joke of baseball and all that really didn't see the big picture of how much better he got in a short period of time. If not for the strike, who knows what he could have accomplished. I'm not saying he could have been an MLB starter, but there may have been a spot on someone's bench. MJ was a phenomenal athlete. He had a 48" vertical and ran a 4.3 40. He had huge hands and was 6' 6" of fast twitch muscle fibers and had great eyes. There aren't many guys like that in the world.

Exactly. I'm sure if he kept at it, he could have been somewhat productive as a bench player. Why not?

He *did* get 2 RBI and scored a run in that game.

Konerko05
10-01-2009, 04:16 PM
It's unfortunate that Michael Jordan didn't concentrate on baseball from the beginning. Basketball certainly worked out for him, but baseball might have been a better sport with him in its talent pool.

You're joking, right?

slavko
10-01-2009, 05:59 PM
A great athlete, but so many things in baseball aren't based on athletic ability. Jumping ability does you little good. Huge hands can be a liability in throwing a baseball. Hitting a curveball is as likely for Joey Cora as it is for MJ. Judging a flyball off the bat has no relation to basketball skills. The ability to absorb contact and weave between guards has no meaning in baseball. Running in a straight line does. 6'6" guys don't often become position players. (He was really 6'4" IMO)

What I'm trying to say is, the guy was a crappy baseball player tolerated because others respected his basketball career. You notice that Francona said he respected his work ethic, not his skills at baseball. Read between the lines.

ewokpelts
10-02-2009, 08:58 AM
A great athlete, but so many things in baseball aren't based on athletic ability. Jumping ability does you little good. Huge hands can be a liability in throwing a baseball. Hitting a curveball is as likely for Joey Cora as it is for MJ. Judging a flyball off the bat has no relation to basketball skills. The ability to absorb contact and weave between guards has no meaning in baseball. Running in a straight line does. 6'6" guys don't often become position players. (He was really 6'4" IMO)

What I'm trying to say is, the guy was a crappy baseball player tolerated because others respected his basketball career. You notice that Francona said he respected his work ethic, not his skills at baseball. Read between the lines.he also said mike was getting better

Chez
10-02-2009, 09:08 AM
You're joking, right?

My exact reaction. How could MJ possibly been a better baseball player than he was basketball player --unless you believe he could have been the greatest baseball player of all time! I guess if Jimi Hendrix had played the drums . . .

slavko
10-02-2009, 10:10 AM
he also said mike was getting better

So? It's not like saying he was any good.

Parrothead
10-02-2009, 10:25 AM
jordan was a hack at baseball and person who was avoiding his responsiblities at home, the reason he "retired".

ewokpelts
10-02-2009, 10:50 AM
jordan was a hack at baseball and person who was avoiding his responsiblities at home, the reason he "retired".i imagine his worl dwas pretty goofy in 93/94. ya know, his dad was murdered for no reason, he's burned out from competing at such a high level of play, world wide attention placed on your every move, problems with gambling.

it was kinda like a mid-life crisis. I mean why else would one say " **** it, I'll go play for the white sox" knowing full well that this wasnt going to be a small affair?

no matter why he did it, the end result was a hungry jordan who brought three more titles to chicago.

slavko
10-02-2009, 11:56 AM
i imagine his worl dwas pretty goofy in 93/94. ya know, his dad was murdered for no reason, he's burned out from competing at such a high level of play, world wide attention placed on your every move, problems with gambling.

it was kinda like a mid-life crisis. I mean why else would one say " **** it, I'll go play for the white sox" knowing full well that this wasnt going to be a small affair?

no matter why he did it, the end result was a hungry jordan who brought three more titles to chicago.

The stuff I highlited are things he thrived on. The other stuff is valid, very valid. At least we've all stopped talking about the secret suspension bushwa.

The avoiding responsibilities at home stuff in the other post? Didn't he always?

Zisk77
10-02-2009, 12:06 PM
If I remember correctly MJ led the association in SB.