PDA

View Full Version : Javy Vazquez takes the mound tonight in a must-win for the Braves...

White City
09-30-2009, 12:00 PM
His four straight wins (3 ER) in his last four starts has been a big part of the Braves' miracle rally here at the end of the season. But down 3 games for the wild card with five to go, Javy finds himself in just about the biggest must-win situation one can imagine.

Granted, he's pitching to NL batters, but this should be a good test of our pet theory that Javy can't be counted on in the clutch. Certainly his last four starts argue against the theory (but his time in Chicago does not).

The sixth inning should be interesting.

KenBerryGrab
09-30-2009, 12:03 PM
At least he doesn't have to face Craig Monroe.

spongyfungy
09-30-2009, 12:12 PM

:rolling:

Craig Grebeck
09-30-2009, 12:37 PM
His four straight wins (3 ER) in his last four starts has been a big part of the Braves' miracle rally here at the end of the season. But down 3 games for the wild card with five to go, Javy finds himself in just about the biggest must-win situation one can imagine.

Granted, he's pitching to NL batters, but this should be a good test of our pet theory that Javy can't be counted on in the clutch. Certainly his last four starts argue against the theory (but his time in Chicago does not).

Yes. This one start, after a full month (or season) of dominance will be a good "test." Of what? I don't know.

khan
09-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Yes. This one start, after a full month (or season) of dominance will be a good "test." Of what? I don't know.

Maybe it'll be a good test of what Vazquez can do in a crucial situation, but with full rest instead of going on short rest, right?

thomas35forever
09-30-2009, 02:08 PM
This game will be very interesting to say the least.

#1swisher
09-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Go Javy!

manders_01
09-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Sorry Javy, but I won't mind if you fail miserably. :duck:

Craig Grebeck
09-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Maybe it'll be a good test of what Vazquez can do in a crucial situation, but with full rest instead of going on short rest, right?
I don't really think one start is especially meaningful under any circumstances, especially when you consider that Javy has been an absolute madman his last four starts -- all of which were extremely meaningful.

Big D
09-30-2009, 03:06 PM
The only reason the Braves are still in the race is because of how awesome Vazquez has pitched this month. Even if he gets bombed tonight, it doesn't take away from the season he's had. All it will prove is that pitchers sometimes have bad starts.

fox23
09-30-2009, 04:49 PM
The only reason the Braves are still in the race is because of how awesome Vazquez has pitched this month. Even if he gets bombed tonight, it doesn't take away from the season he's had. All it will prove is that pitchers sometimes have bad starts.

And that Vasquez conveniently has them when it matters most.

jabrch
09-30-2009, 05:11 PM

No kidding...I haven't heard much bitching about how Javy pitches when it matters lately. His last 10 starts have ALL mattered. 73 IP, 21 ER (2.58 ERA), and a 7-2 record.

Big D
09-30-2009, 06:46 PM
And that Vasquez conveniently has them when it matters most.

So if he has an awesome start tonight, will that "prove" he's not a choker? Or will you just pretend it never happened, like you are with his last several starts?

fox23
09-30-2009, 08:40 PM
So if he has an awesome start tonight, will that "prove" he's not a choker? Or will you just pretend it never happened, like you are with his last several starts?

Well, looks like we won't have to worry about finding out the answer to that one.

munchman33
09-30-2009, 09:03 PM
The Braves were dead in the water and have played flawless baseball while out of it and find themselves still a longshot at best. I don't see how this qualifies as a pressure situation. Even if they win out, they need a ton of help. They're just going out there and having fun.

Hitmen77
09-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow. The Braves have the tying run on 3rd with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th.......and he gets picked off to end the game.

Brian26
09-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Game ends on a pickoff with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th? Brutal.

GoGoCrede
09-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Game ends on a pickoff with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th? Brutal.

God, I can imagine the explosion around here if that happened to us. :redneck

munchman33
09-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Also of note, getting pulled after Gload's homer in the fifth spared Javy of a rather dubious distinction. At 269 homers aloud, he'll finish the decade 1 gopher ball behind Jamie Moyer for most home runs given up this decade.

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Also of note, getting pulled after Gload's homer in the fifth spared Javy of a rather dubious distinction. At 269 homers aloud, he'll finish the decade 1 gopher ball behind Jamie Moyer for most home runs given up this decade.Giving up that many should be done silently.

eriqjaffe
10-01-2009, 08:58 AM
At least Javy pitched a scoreless 6th!

twsoxfan5
10-01-2009, 09:01 AM
To me it does not matter what Javy does or did in the NL. They are 2 different leagues. The AL is so far superior to the NL that the stats are not comparable.

SI1020
10-01-2009, 09:09 AM
To me it does not matter what Javy does or did in the NL. They are 2 different leagues. The AL is so far superior to the NL that the stats are not comparable.

The AL is better and has been for quite some time. These things go in cycles. I remember a long period when the AL hardly ever won an All Star game. The AL was part of MLB baseball then, just as the NL is now. You think Peavy is going to fail just because he switched leagues? I've been a critic of Javier Vasquez but he deserves credit for having a fine year and justifying the faith of his supporters here. Congratulations Javy.

GoSox2K3
10-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I don't really think one start is especially meaningful under any circumstances, especially when you consider that Javy has been an absolute madman his last four starts -- all of which were extremely meaningful.

All I care about is that Javy failed to perform at this level for us when we needed him in crucial games in 2006 and 2008.

Good for Javy that he's doing well now, but the fact that he's doing it for the Braves now means nothing to me.

twsoxfan5
10-01-2009, 09:43 AM
The AL is better and has been for quite some time. These things go in cycles. I remember a long period when the AL hardly ever won an All Star game. The AL was part of MLB baseball then, just as the NL is now. You think Peavy is going to fail just because he switched leagues? I've been a critic of Javier Vasquez but he deserves credit for having a fine year and justifying the faith of his supporters here. Congratulations Javy.

You are right about the cycles for sure, but I am not sure if/when the NL will ever be dominant like that again. Javy did have a good year and congrats to him for that, it was not like he was horrible here. He pitched in the NL though and to me that has to be factored in. Think of it this way: The Royals have had the worst record in the MLB over the past ten years, but in interleague play over that stretch of time they are well over .500. Do I think Peavy will fail b/c now he is in the AL? No. Will he have a higher ERA and have a tougher time in the AL? I would be willing to bet yes. Might I mention that I really hope he proves me wrong.

LauraJ14
10-01-2009, 10:03 AM
You are right about the cycles for sure, but I am not sure if/when the NL will ever be dominant like that again. Javy did have a good year and congrats to him for that, it was not like he was horrible here. He pitched in the NL though and to me that has to be factored in. Think of it this way: The Royals have had the worst record in the MLB over the past ten years, but in interleague play over that stretch of time they are well over .500. Do I think Peavy will fail b/c now he is in the AL? No. Will he have a higher ERA and have a tougher time in the AL? I would be willing to bet yes. Might I mention that I really hope he proves me wrong.
I don't care if Peavy has a higher ERA in the AL as long as he wins games or gives us a chance to win games.
Would have been nice to have Javy as #4 this year instead of Colon/Contreras - even if Javy was .500, probably would have given us a better shot to make the playoffs.

twsoxfan5
10-01-2009, 10:21 AM
I don't care if Peavy has a higher ERA in the AL as long as he wins games or gives us a chance to win games.
Would have been nice to have Javy as #4 this year instead of Colon/Contreras - even if Javy was .500, probably would have given us a better shot to make the playoffs.

Laura you are right, there are a lot pitchers out there that would have been better then the Colon/Contreras combo, but that is not the point I was making.

khan
10-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Oh, I agree. Perhaps I should've put my post in teal. I was referencing Javy's difficulties at the end of last season; It seemed as though many of the starts were taken on short rest, something that is forgotten by some here.

southside rocks
10-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Also of note, getting pulled after Gload's homer in the fifth spared Javy of a rather dubious distinction. At 269 homers aloud, he'll finish the decade 1 gopher ball behind Jamie Moyer for most home runs given up this decade.

Giving up that many should be done silently.

Quite a few of them were screaming line drives, I'm sure. :tongue: