PDA

View Full Version : History of "Pick to Click"

Rohan
09-30-2009, 09:52 AM
As long as I remember, The White Sox television broadcast (Hawk) has always had the Pick to Click "competition". A post by Mad Vora in Talking Baseball got me thinking: Where/when did the White Sox tv broadcast start doing Picks to Click?

I could not find any information about this on the google or bing, so I came here :D:.

Nellie_Fox
09-30-2009, 10:18 AM
As long as I remember, The White Sox television broadcast (Hawk) has always had the Pick to Click "competition". A post by Mad Vora in Talking Baseball got me thinking: Where/when did the White Sox tv broadcast start doing Picks to Click?

I could not find any information about this on the google or bing, so I came here :D:.I don't remember when, but Hawk started it with Wimpy, very informally, just a "who's your pick to click today?" None of the "before we give ours, you at home select yours" or putting it up in graphics on the screen or anything.

BleacherBandit
09-30-2009, 03:53 PM
I've never undestood it. The verb "CLick" implies that it has to do something with a computer. Yet there's no way to submit our picks to click. And futhermore, that wouldn't matter, because it seems there is no metric for determining if a player was the pick to click.

Jerksticks
09-30-2009, 04:06 PM
I'd guess late 90s during the "Hey, The Kids Can Play" era.

The verb click works for me because it not only rhymes, but implies something that works, and works near perfection.

That's my two cents. Hope that helps unless you were just throwing bait out there with the computer reference. I usually like throwing the bait in the water, not the other way around, so kudos if ya got me!

DumpJerry
09-30-2009, 04:19 PM
What has been driving me crazy is that you can now vote at the games with your cell phone. All you do is send a text message with the batting order position 1-9 of the player you select to be your pick to click. The problem I have with this is that the White Sox apparently are unaware of the fact that this is the American League, so there is no way to vote for the pitcher.

BadBobbyJenks
09-30-2009, 04:33 PM
What has been driving me crazy is that you can now vote at the games with your cell phone. All you do is send a text message with the batting order position 1-9 of the player you select to be your pick to click. The problem I have with this is that the White Sox apparently are unaware of the fact that this is the American League, so there is no way to vote for the pitcher.

Pick to Click has always been for hitters

DumpJerry
09-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Pick to Click has always been for hitters
Then there are about 45 games this season where there should be no winner.

BleacherBandit
09-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Then there are about 45 games this season where there should be no winner.

BUH-DUM-CHHHH

:tongue:

DumpJerry
09-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Given that our starters have one of the best ERAs in the AL (top three, IIRC), pitchers need to be eligible.

Brian26
09-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I'd guess late 90s during the "Hey, The Kids Can Play" era.

No way. Pretty sure it started in 1990 when Hawk came back to town. See Nellie's post above.

Railsplitter
09-30-2009, 06:47 PM
No way. Pretty sure it started in 1990 when Hawk came back to town. See Nellie's post above.

Never heard until the last season in the Old Park.

slavko
09-30-2009, 07:18 PM
"Pick to Click" is a term I associate with old time DJ's who used to spin "Stacks of Wax" (78 RPM records). I can't think of which DJ in particular used the term to describe records he forecast to be hits. Anyone?

dickallen15
09-30-2009, 07:42 PM

Yes it started when Hawk returned in 1990. Then they started keeping score, and eventually it was sponsored.

Madvora
10-01-2009, 08:33 AM

I could not find any information about this on the google or bing, so I came here :D:.
Mad Vora... Ha! I bet 90% of the people here think I'm a woman named Vora.
Anyway. I agree with Nellie. I remember this starting up with Hawk and Wimpy too.

whitem0nkey
10-01-2009, 12:34 PM
this is how you call you picks to click

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=374&sid=218287

Does Mike Blowers offer stock tips as well?

ETA:The pitcher was listening to the pre-game on the radio and decided to have some fun

ode to veeck
10-01-2009, 11:02 PM

the white sox are just protecting you from the fact that daver never selects the pitcher :redneck

soxinem1
10-02-2009, 07:47 PM

That is my recollection. Hawk just sort of threw it out there and the rest was history.