PDA

View Full Version : Dislike everyone or love nobody?

soxfan22
09-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Ok, guys, I'm a rookie on here and learning as I go. I've only been to two games at the Cell (well, I live in London, so commuting is an issue), I'm totally sold on the Sox and will be over next year for 3 games, already asked friends in Chicago to pencil in the dates we play the Yankees and get tickets for those series of games.

Anyway, my point for this post...........

Who are our greatest rivals? Who do we dislike the most? Is it the Cubs for both answers or looking at our Division, is it the Twins, Tigers, Indians or Royals?

Please forgive my ignorance. My post count is low as I have tentatively replied to some posts and really don't have the knowlededge (YET!) to sit at the same table as some of you.

Go Sox.............good times / bad times..........Go Sox!

veeter
09-30-2009, 08:49 AM
To me, the Sox biggest rival is the Twins, followed closely by the Tigers. The cubs are just an annoying team, that happens to share the same city. The Sox are forced to play them six times a year for interleague play. The dislike between the cubs and Sox is purely between the fans of each club. But the biggest rival HAS to come from within the division.

Madvora
09-30-2009, 08:55 AM
It kind of comes and goes as the league changes. Before my time, in the 50s, I guess there was a big White Sox/Yankees rivalry. That would have been great to see. Major League Baseball was only set up to allow the winners of each league to face each other in the World Series back then, so even though the Sox were putting great teams on the field, there were no playoffs for them to keep going.
In my lifetime, it used to be the A's in the late 80's and early 90's. This was back when the Sox were in the AL West. The A's were consistently winning the division, but the Sox were always right behind the and competing tough. Then came the AL Central and the same thing happened with the Indians. Right now, and over the last maybe 5 years, it's definitely the Twins. They've shown a lot of consistency in this division and have definitely developed a huge rivalry against the Sox.

Marqhead
09-30-2009, 08:56 AM
It varies based on who you ask. Here are how the teams stack up recently (Last decade or so).

I'm relatively young and started really getting into the Sox in the 90s when the Indians were having a lot of success and were the biggest rival. They've fallen on hard times recently but will always be one of my most despised teams.

In the 2000's the Twins have had a lot of success and due to some special incidents (Torii Hunter, The Dump Dome and the Blackout game come to mind) they have been the Sox main rival and competition for the division.

Up until recently the Tigers have been pretty bad, but in 2000 there was a huge brawl and though all of those players aren't on either team anymore a lot of fans still have a lot of bad blood for the Tigers. With their recent success (getting to the World Series in 06, signing Magglio Ordonez) they've become a much more hated bunch.

Kansas City always sucks so they're an after thought in most peoples mind.

The Cubs are always a hot topic of debate. A lot of people hate them simply for the biased media coverage between the two teams and the competition to be the favorite in Chicago. In addition, the season series between these teams is almost always close and there are usually some extremely competitive games that keep the series interesting.

Dating way back you'll probably find that a lot of the older fans hate the Yankees the most and a lot of the younger fans hate them because they won World Series in 98, 99 and 00 and almost always field an extremely competitive team.

g0g0
09-30-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't hate the Cubs even though I'm always hoping the Sox kill them in Interleague play. I admire a team who hasn't won a championship for over 100 years and yet has a loyal, rabid (drunk?) fan base. You can't say that about too many other teams.

As for real rivalries, I agree that they've changed over the years with the Twins being the most recent bulls eye. I'm glad that the Sox don't have a Yankees-type team in the division so the competition is usually wide open (except for the Royals!).

Anyways, when in doubt hate the Yankees. They have the same polarization as Manchester United does in the Premier League hehe.

FielderJones
09-30-2009, 09:55 AM
As far as going to a Sox/Cubs game, consider what it would be like at Parkhead if they didn't segregate the Rangers supporters and there were many of them all around the stadium.

There always seems to be drunken buffoonery and fist fights when the lovable losers come to the Cell. Think if you want to be in the stands for that.

soxfan22
09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
As far as going to a Sox/Cubs game, consider what it would be like at Parkhead if they didn't segregate the Rangers supporters and there were many of them all around the stadium.

There always seems to be drunken buffoonery and fist fights when the lovable losers come to the Cell. Think if you want to be in the stands for that.

Wow, that's some consideration, having been to many Rangers v Celtic soccer games and seeing that hatred full on, surely Sox/Cubs games aren't that bad!

I laughed at the other post, basically saying, when in doubt, hate the Yankees :D:

asindc
09-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Wow, that's some consideration, having been to many Rangers v Celtic soccer games and seeing that hatred full on, surely Sox/Cubs games aren't that bad!

I laughed at the other post, basically saying, when in doubt, hate the Yankees :D:

While I haven't been to a Rangers-Celtic game, I get the sense from some of my English friends that the rivalrys are similar.

soxfan22
09-30-2009, 12:00 PM
While I haven't been to a Rangers-Celtic game, I get the sense from some of my English friends that the rivalrys are similar.

Believe me, there is nothing similar to the hatred from these fans that comes from that game. Forgot to say, I'm a Scot living in England..........but that's another rivalry! :angry:

:D:

So, the Cubs and Twins appear to be the one's we most dislike then?

Lip Man 1
09-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Traditionally the Yankees have always been the Sox main rival due to the incidents and classic pennant races between the two franchises from 1951-1964.

Today the rivals are: 1. Minnesota 2. Cubs 3. Detroit

Lip

soxfan22
09-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Traditionally the Yankees have always been the Sox main rival due to the incidents and classic pennant races between the two franchises from 1951-1964.

Today the rivals are: 1. Minnesota 2. Cubs 3. Detroit

Lip

Thanks for the input guys, I'm learning as I go

Only 330 days before I'm back in Chicago for the Sox / Yankees series....if the 2010 schedule is what it says!

aryzner
09-30-2009, 12:30 PM
If I may ask, you being from where you are from, how did you end up becoming a White Sox fan?

tebman
09-30-2009, 12:30 PM
So, the Cubs and Twins appear to be the one's we most dislike then?

I'd say so. The Twins because they're the legitimate championship rival in the AL Central Division, and the Cubs because, well, it's like this...

The Cubs play in the National League, which is separate and distinct from the American League. That boundary has blurred a bit over the last ten years because of the gimmick of interleague games, but the Cubs still are not a real factor in the Sox' drive for a championship.

Broadly, Chicago has two cultures: North Side and South Side. Historically the North Side is "soft" part of town with higher incomes and tonier neighborhoods; the South Side is historically the "hard" part of town with more heavy industry and blue-collar residents. Those boundaries have blurred too over the last hundred years, but the tradition and sensibilities remain.

The Cubs were owned by the Wrigley family (the gum tycoons) for about 70 years, and then were sold to the Tribune Company in 1981. Not coincidentially, the Tribune owns the biggest newspapers, the dominant independent TV and radio stations, and a host of other resources that have been used to sell the Cubs as a more "desirable" team than the White Sox. The perception now runs deep that those of us who are Sox fans are less so, thanks to the Tribune's marketing and some bad promotional decisions by the White Sox over the years.

So the distaste for the Cubs runs deep. A tidy summary of the baseball sophistication of White Sox fans and Cubs fans can be seen here (http://smellslikemascot.blogspot.com/2009/09/cross-town-funeral.html) in this cartoon. Note the difference in the two sets of fans -- that pretty much sums up what we have to deal with.

Welcome aboard! We've got your back! :tongue:

veeter
09-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't hate the Cubs even though I'm always hoping the Sox kill them in Interleague play. I admire a team who hasn't won a championship for over 100 years and yet has a loyal, rabid (drunk?) fan base. You can't say that about too many other teams.

As for real rivalries, I agree that they've changed over the years with the Twins being the most recent bulls eye. I'm glad that the Sox don't have a Yankees-type team in the division so the competition is usually wide open (except for the Royals!).

Anyways, when in doubt hate the Yankees. They have the same polarization as Manchester United does in the Premier League hehe.As late as the seventies and early eighties, the cubs didn't draw ****. Fergie Jenkins pitched in front of many a sparse crowd.

oeo
09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
How is Detroit considered a bigger rival than Cleveland? I hate the Indians, everything about them, while the Tigers have been pretty irrelevant up until a few years ago. And even the last few years when they've been relevant, the Sox have mostly kicked their ass.

09-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Most of the responses here are dead on.

I'd go

1. Minnesota
2. Minnesota
3. Minnesota
4. Minnesota
5-199 Minnesota
200. Detroit
201. Cubs

FielderJones
09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Believe me, there is nothing similar to the hatred from these fans that comes from that game. Forgot to say, I'm a Scot living in England..........but that's another rivalry! :angry:

It can be pretty bad here. But since you've actually been to Celtic-Rangers matches, unlike most of us, you'd have something to compare it to. But remember, the Cubs fans are all over the park. At Parkhead or Ibrox, aren't the visiting supporters confined to a single stand where security can keep things from getting too physical?

Marqhead
09-30-2009, 01:45 PM
How is Detroit considered a bigger rival than Cleveland? I hate the Indians, everything about them, while the Tigers have been pretty irrelevant up until a few years ago. And even the last few years when they've been relevant, the Sox have mostly kicked their ass.

Yeah I'm really surprised more people putting Detroit ahead of the Indians. I hate the Indians. I hated them in the 90s with Belle and Thome and I hated them in 2005 when they snuck up on us. I hate them now with Sizemore and a washed up Hafner. I'm happy to see them dump all their stars and struggle mightily. Watching them blow the 2007 ALCS was joyful.

The Twins are on top for me, but Cleveland is a very close second.

soxfan22
09-30-2009, 01:54 PM
If I may ask, you being from where you are from, how did you end up becoming a White Sox fan?

Yeah, no problem, I introduced myself here:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115606

I see you have a Fulham badge, interesting.

MARTINMVP
09-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Minnesota has definitely been the main foil in recent years... especially with their damn stadium. I hate them with a passion, probably unlike any other baseball team. Always have, even prior to my liking the White Sox.

I basically hate every other AL Central team.

I'm a former Cub fan, still in the process of converting... I won't 100% declare my all-time love for the Sox, but I won't go back to that other team. That said, now that I don't worry about them, I would think I would hate the Twins, Tigers, more than the Cubs. They do as an organization and the puffery-type of love they get from the media and fans makes me sick.

soxfan22
09-30-2009, 02:07 PM
It can be pretty bad here. But since you've actually been to Celtic-Rangers matches, unlike most of us, you'd have something to compare it to. But remember, the Cubs fans are all over the park. At Parkhead or Ibrox, aren't the visiting supporters confined to a single stand where security can keep things from getting too physical?

Yeah, good point, I see what you mean. One of these days I'd like to get to a Sox / Cubs game.

soxfan22
09-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Minnesota has definitely been the main foil in recent years... especially with their damn stadium. I hate them with a passion, probably unlike any other baseball team. Always have, even prior to my liking the White Sox.

I basically hate every other AL Central team.

I'm a former Cub fan, still in the process of converting... I won't 100% declare my all-time love for the Sox, but I won't go back to that other team. That said, now that I don't worry about them, I would think I would hate the Twins, Tigers, more than the Cubs. They do as an organization and the puffery-type of love they get from the media and fans makes me sick.

May I ask? What made you "convert?"

MARTINMVP
09-30-2009, 02:53 PM
I began playing little league baseball when I was 7 or 8, in summer of '92. Because I was playing, I wanted to be able to watch baseball on TV. I didn't have cable yet, so I could only watch the Cubs on Channel 9. I grew up a fan. As I got older, I became more of a casual fan, but someone who watched games when I could and seriously followed the 2003 season deep in the playoffs.

The 2004 year was a major disappointment, but on-top of that, I grew to hate the team, with their crying over criticism from the media and especially Chip Carray and Steve Stone (their television announcers at the time). It came from players, possibly instigated by and at least tolerated by their manager Dusty Baker, and definitively tolerated at the top with Jim Hendry. At the same time, I was getting older (middle of college) and getting more into real news and politics. Began to listen to more news/talk radio and less sports talk radio, and that carried over into watching less sports and less Cubs, to the point where I was more of a casual fan. In 2007 and 2008, I maybe watched two games total, and didn't watch the playoffs.

The 2005 year, still a casual Cub fan, but come playoffs, I watched every single White Sox postseason game. When they won, I was very happy… not as a true White Sox fan, but as someone living in Chicago who thought it was cool that one of our teams had won something… while knowing it is possible I will never ever see one again in my life time.

While growing up as a Cubs fan, I always had this feeling that the Cubs were the dorky team, while the White Sox were just cool (“Good guys wear black,” Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura, etc.). Most of my friends growing up were Sox fans and made fun of me for being a Cubs fan. I kind of had this sense that the Cubs were the team for dorks.

I didn’t go to the ballparks that much growing up. But I never really understood how a ballpark could be any teams main attraction. I’ve been to Wrigley Field a few times in my life, and Comiskey a few times more, and no other ballpark. From my point of view, while the actual field is nice and the scenery of the surrounding buildings are nice, the actual ballpark is a dump. While I will always, always love the legend of Ryne Sandburg and Mark Grace, the aura of Ron Santo and Ronnie Woo Woo absolutely makes me sick. The aura of Wrigley Field, with stupid terms such as “beyond the ivy” – that all makes me sick. The idea that Cub fans are the best fans in baseball. Why? Because a 35 year old Cub fan never saw a World Series for his favorite team? Wow, 35 years… it’s not like the 35 year old actually lived through the 100 years of no World Series himself. The Cubs are no better fans than Yankee or Red Sox fans. Yankee and Red Sox fans are not better fans than those of the Reds or Pirates.

I don’t fault the Cubs for becoming popular through the Superstation of WGN. Any team would do that if they had the chance. But I do fault the Cubs for marketing themselves as this cuddly and “awww shucks” type of team. They sell themselves as the experience rather than baseball. The way WGN radio promotes “Cub memories” makes it seem like the Cubs are a legendary team. All the books about the Cubs being special… all lies. There is nothing about the team worth embracing. Even before 2005, when looking back, the White Sox were never any of the things that the Cubs now are. It’s almost like they are famous for losing, and that to me is pathetic.

Earlier this summer, I was bored one night after work and wanted to watch a baseball game… just to do something different. The Sox were on, and the Cubs were not that particular night. I slowly began to watch more Sox games, taking a liking to Pods, Thome, and two guys I never heard of before… Becham and Alexi. I’m out of college now, working full-time and I have gone to four Sox games this year and two Cubs games (my fiance’s family are all Cubs fans who get great, great seats). I love U.S. Cellular Field. I’ve taken a liking to going to Buffalo Wild Wings and watching Sox games with my best friend… and going to games with him and our group of friends. The atmosphere of the South Side just seems cool. I’m still in the process of converting. My mind is made up that I will never be a Cubbie blue wearing Cub fan again. I may wish them well if they make the playoffs some day and such, but I just don’t have it in me to support them as an official fan. Though I do feel guilt... I still feel I'm taking the easy way out because all my life, I was told you can't switch. I tend to care about how other people think of me. I'm starting to try and not care as much anymore. Perhaps, that is why I waited so long to make the switch. I won’t say I am a committed die hard White Sox fan just yet… I think it truly takes time for someone in my position, but my feelings for the team continue to grow, and I really am looking forward to 2010.

MARTINMVP
09-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Quick followup.

IF the Cubs ever win the World Series, the whole thing will be more about breaking the curse and how the fans deserved this and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. I also have the feeling that many Cub fans would be ok with continued losing if they could only see one World Series.

soxfan22
09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Hey MARTINMVP, good post, sports is a strange phenomenon, however, whether others accept your conversion is neither here nor there. As a rookie on here, I'd buy you a beer as we shout it out for the Sox :D:

MARTINMVP
09-30-2009, 03:26 PM
There was an entire thread on here on this board that began sometime in early June about converting to White Sox. I noticed it in the "What's the Score" category and thought how appropriate for me.

I think there will be some Sox fans who will never accept me, but I think most would be cool with new people who "see the light," so to speak.

I'm happy and enjoy baseball again. That's all that's important to me.

soxfan22
09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
There was an entire thread on here on this board that began sometime in early June about converting to White Sox. I noticed it in the "What's the Score" category and thought how appropriate for me.

I think there will be some Sox fans who will never accept me, but I think most would be cool with new people who "see the light," so to speak.

I'm happy and enjoy baseball again. That's all that's important to me.

Good for you man, that's all that counts

MARTINMVP
09-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks "22." Glad you found a team and have a place like this to share your joy with.

downstairs
09-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Twins
Indians
Tigers

...in that order.

soxfan22
09-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Ok, so, why exactly do we hate the Twins so much? Apart ofcourse that they are a Division rival.

GoGoCrede
09-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Though I do feel guilt... I still feel I'm taking the easy way out because all my life, I was told you can't switch. I tend to care about how other people think of me.

My advice is don't give a crap what other fans think of you. I've gotten crap for being born in California and not being a Dodgers or Angels fan. Don't let people try to measure your 'fan rating.' Just love your team, that's all that matters. :D:

DumpJerry
09-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Who are our greatest rivals? Who do we dislike the most? Is it the Cubs for both answers or looking at our Division, is it the Twins, Tigers, Indians or Royals?
Greatest rival=Twins. Year in and year out, they are the ones who cause the most trouble in August and September. The other teams have God-awful years every 2-3 years (except the Royals, of course), so they are not consistent irritants.

Dislike most? Right now, I'd have to say the Red Sox. The attitude on the team and among their fans is as annoying as it gets. Team we dislike most over a long stretch of time? Hard to say. Could be the Twins. They caused us fits in the 1970's and they do it again in 2009.

MARTINMVP
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
The Twins are just that annoying team that almost seems to have no business being good. Minnesota was the city that was threatened to have their team contracted by Commissioner Bud Selig. And yet, this team is so annoying and always in the way.

oeo
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Ok, so, why exactly do we hate the Twins so much? Apart ofcourse that they are a Division rival.

They're annoying. They're usually composed of a bunch of "scrappy" players that can barely hit the ball out of the infield, but play good defense and take advantage of their home park. They pound the ball into that artificial turf and it's a base hit, they break their bats and bloop the ball into the outfield, etc. The Sox are almost always more talented, yet they somehow win. In other words, they get on your nerves and you love to hate them.

And seriously, it doesn't matter how good we're playing and how bad they're playing. They play us, and we have a target on our backs. I'm convinced part of their player development consists of drilling 'Kill the White Sox' into their heads.

Frater Perdurabo
09-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I also despise the Twins.

Their fans hate the White Sox, too.

I was at the game in the Metrodome when Buehrle broke the record for most consecutive batters retired. In the bottom of the sixth, with two strikes and two outs, the umpire called a close pitch a ball, and the crowd erupted with applause and cheering. When that Twins batter then fouled off a bunch of pitches and worked a walk to break up the perfect game, the crowd went wild. When the next batter got a hit, the crowd again went wild. When the next batter knocked in a run, the crowd again went wild. When the next batter drove in another run to take the lead, the crowd again went wild. When Ozzie came out to pull Buehrle and bring in a reliever, the crowd cheered for the Twins.

Some fans of some teams give a standing ovation even to an opposing pitcher after his bid for a perfect game/no-hitter is broken up in the late innings.

But all the 30K+ Twins fans I saw - in person, mind you - cheered the Twins for breaking up Buehrle's record of perfection, and were pleased to be rubbing the Sox' and Buehrle's face in their steaming pile of bad sportsmanship.

That organization and their classless bunch of "Minnesota nice" fans and their gimmicky stadium (even their new outdoor park will have some lame gimmicks like a limestone wall in RF) can go **** themselves.

SoxFan1979
09-30-2009, 08:18 PM
To me, the Sox biggest rival is the Twins, followed closely by the Tigers. The cubs are just an annoying team, that happens to share the same city. The Sox are forced to play them six times a year for interleague play. The dislike between the cubs and Sox is purely between the fans of each club. But the biggest rival HAS to come from within the division.

What veeter said :smile:

soxfan22
10-01-2009, 05:19 AM

I was at the game in the Metrodome when Buehrle broke the record for most consecutive batters retired. In the bottom of the sixth, with two strikes and two outs, the umpire called a close pitch a ball, and the crowd erupted with applause and cheering. When that Twins batter then fouled off a bunch of pitches and worked a walk to break up the perfect game, the crowd went wild. When the next batter got a hit, the crowd again went wild. When the next batter knocked in a run, the crowd again went wild. When the next batter drove in another run to take the lead, the crowd again went wild. When Ozzie came out to pull Buehrle and bring in a reliever, the crowd cheered for the Twins.

Some fans of some teams give a standing ovation even to an opposing pitcher after his bid for a perfect game/no-hitter is broken up in the late innings.

But all the 30K+ Twins fans I saw - in person, mind you - cheered the Twins for breaking up Buehrle's record of perfection, and were pleased to be rubbing the Sox' and Buehrle's face in their steaming pile of bad sportsmanship.

That organization and their classless bunch of "Minnesota nice" fans and their gimmicky stadium (even their new outdoor park will have some lame gimmicks like a limestone wall in RF) can go **** themselves.

Now that's a post! :D:

asindc
10-01-2009, 07:54 AM

Frater, I watched that game, and I must say that the applause to which you refer seemed to be more out of respect for Buehrle having pitching 14+ perfect innings in a row. I saw many Twinkee fans standing and applauding his effort. Since you were there, I will defer to your assessment to a certain extent, but I distinctly saw some fans applauding Buehrle's effect out of respect.

That said, **** the Twinkees.

jmeneghini1433
10-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Any real White Sox fan hates the Twins more than the Cubs. The Cubs are just another team to me. I don't carry any extra hatred for them.

Waysouthsider
10-01-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm a convert as well....grew up Western Pennsylvania watching the Battling Bucs and have always maintained a special place in my heart for that team...got to see Clemente play as a kid....my mother was in the bleachers at Forbes when Mazeroski hit the homer to beat the Yanks in 1960 so we grew up on all of that Pirate lore.

Moved to Southern Illinois in 1994 and adopted the Sox and we've been plugged in ever since....now all of us in the family are pretty hardcore....We commute to games too...not as ugly as the Great Britain commute but we try to make the 400 mile trip once a month for a weekend series all summer long.

Down here we hate the Twins...absolutely repulsive franchise....the Indians are too sorry to hate....its just like piling on, ya' know?

We also hate the Cubs...mostly due to some elements of their degenerate fanbase....not that all sCrUB-lovers are degenerate, hangers-on, wannabee fans, but enough are to make dealing with them pretty distasteful, IMHO. Certainly there are serious, honorable baseball fans who for some unknown reason remain attached to that franchise, but I can't explain the phenomenon.

Zisk77
10-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Any real White Sox fan hates the Twins more than the Cubs. The Cubs are just another team to me. I don't carry any extra hatred for them.

Thats a silly statement. A real sox fan loves the sox & it doesn't matter who they hate. Personally i hate the Cubs more than the twins as I have to grudgingly respect the quality of the twins organization. no matter how much turnover they have the remain competitive. Whats to admire on the North Side? yet i have them thrown in my face constantly. I've been living and dying with my sox since 1977...Am I not a "real" fan cause I hate the cubs worse than communism, soccer, broccoli, & the twins?

Sargeant79
10-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Thats a silly statement. A real sox fan loves the sox & it doesn't matter who they hate. Personally i hate the Cubs more than the twins as I have to grudgingly respect the quality of the twins organization. no matter how much turnover they have the remain competitive. Whats to admire on the North Side? yet i have them thrown in my face constantly. I've been living and dying with my sox since 1977...Am I not a "real" fan cause I hate the cubs worse than communism, soccer, broccoli, & the twins?

I respect the Twins for the reasons you mention above. I also hate them. I think you can have it both ways with this one.

BigKlu59
10-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Oldtimer has to go with the Yanks, Toons, Carmines and Tiggers in that order.. That being said the Twinks have always been a thorn in our side since the 60's competeing on a shoestring budget and breaking Pale Hose hearts along the way... Sox have an inbred hatred for the Bronx Bombers.

Cubbies ? Sure, they're an easy target.. Just like the baffoon in the pub whose mouth constantly writes checks his ass cant cash...

Welcome SoxFan22... Displaced Scotsman living in Albion... I raise a Malted Scotch to you Laddie :gulp:

BigKlu59

Zisk77
10-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I respect the Twins for the reasons you mention above. I also hate them. I think you can have it both ways with this one.
Oh, i still have room in my very black heart to hate the twins as well. :cool:

areilly
10-01-2009, 06:16 PM
My stance has always been "**** them all straight to hell," although I reserve a special place on my Enemies List for all things Cubs-related that has little to do with actual baseball.

soxfan22
10-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Oldtimer has to go with the Yanks, Toons, Carmines and Tiggers in that order.. That being said the Twinks have always been a thorn in our side since the 60's competeing on a shoestring budget and breaking Pale Hose hearts along the way... Sox have an inbred hatred for the Bronx Bombers.

Cubbies ? Sure, they're an easy target.. Just like the baffoon in the pub whose mouth constantly writes checks his ass cant cash...

Welcome SoxFan22... Displaced Scotsman living in Albion... I raise a Malted Scotch to you Laddie :gulp:

BigKlu59

Cheers Big Klu, I appreciate that.

Didn't realise we have a hate for the Yankees, when I'm over next August, it'll make the Sox / Yankees games all the more interesting for me. Maybe I'll get to meet some of you guys at the Cell?

jmeneghini1433
10-02-2009, 08:12 AM
I guess it's a personal opinion, I suppose. I'll always hate the Twins though.

soxinem1
10-02-2009, 09:12 PM
I agree or can rationalize with the accuracy of just about all of the posts in this thread. However:

It seems the White Sox had a real strong rivalry with MIL when they were in the American League. The fans of each team traveled quite frequently between the two cities and White Sox fans tailgating in County Stadium's parking lot was a two or three times a year trip for many White Sox and same for Brewers fans (except tailgating).

I remember in the early 90's it cost less to drive back and forth to Milwaukee, get tickets, park, and buy food and beer at County Stadium (even less if you cooked and loaded up in the parking lot) than to walk over to Comiskey II and do the same thing!!

If the dumbasses who set up the division alignment in both leagues back then (CHC in NL East, ATL in NL WEST, MIL and DET in AL East, KC and White Sox in AL West) the White Sox-Brewers rivalry would have been even better.

soxfan22
10-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Even though some have stated their hatred of "a team", it's good that we can all sit among one another. I'd hate the segregation of fans!

Soccer appears to be the only sport where they seperate one set of idiots from another. Then again, those rivalries are nothing short of tribal!

Vestigio
10-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Cheers Big Klu, I appreciate that.

Didn't realise we have a hate for the Yankees, when I'm over next August, it'll make the Sox / Yankees games all the more interesting for me. Maybe I'll get to meet some of you guys at the Cell?

I would say that every fan hates the Yankees because of several reasons. They have the highest payroll in baseball, their fans travel well so there will be lots of goofs at the games, and the media shoves their coverage down our throats. And like others have already mentioned, the Sox had a natural rivalry in the past with the Yanks

Personally, I would say our rivals would rank 1) Twins 2) Indians 3) Cubs. All the aftermentioned hate for the Twins still applies, but with the way the the team and its fans acted at the end of the 2008 season, I began to hate them on a whole new level.

During the last season series against the Twins in '08, the Sox lost a couple of close games, and it was just agrivating with the way the Twins players acted especially their centerfielder Carlos Gomez. Also if you don't remember, the Sox and Twins had to play a 163 game to decide the American League Central champion. MLB had an old rule that if no division winner is decided after 162 games, a coin flip would decide who would get homefield advantage for the 163 game.

Well once the Twins lost the players, like their closer Joe Nathan, and fans were crying, trying to push for a rule change since they had won the season series against the Sox (only by one game eventhough the Twins played the Sox more games in Minn than in Chicago).

As for the Indians, I was a kid of the '90s so I will always dislike the Indians for the simple reason that they were always just a few games better than the Sox during that time. I really dont hate the Cubs as a team, I just dont like what they stand for and their fans.

The Tigers though dont seem much of a rival though, because like oeo said, they have been pretty much irrelevant despite a couple of recent seasons. And when they manage to have a good team, the Sox play real well against them