PDA

View Full Version : No game tonight......

Grobber33
09-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Rained out at the venue formerly known as Jacobs Field.

Foulke You
09-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Are they even going to bother making this one up?

Sockinchisox
09-29-2009, 03:53 PM

Ya, Double header tomorrow.

Ranger
09-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Straight double-header tomorrow. Pregame at 2:30, first pitch at 3:05. Second game 30 minutes after first ends.

Dirty30
09-29-2009, 04:05 PM
What game is Peavy pitching?

downstairs
09-29-2009, 04:08 PM

I've noticed over the years (maybe I'm wrong?) that MLB has been making up more and more "useless" games. I guess its all about the money.

Foulke You
09-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I've noticed over the years (maybe I'm wrong?) that MLB has been making up more and more "useless" games. I guess its all about the money.
The players union could also put pressure to get these games in too. Player salaries are based on putting up stats and if a game is just canceled, that's one less game to put up more stats.

Noneck
09-29-2009, 04:16 PM
The wily old veteran is 1st with the news while the raw boned youngster follows the vet with more news. Gotta love it.

oeo
09-29-2009, 04:18 PM

I don't think they change stance at any point in the season. You make up the game when you can make it up. If you can't by the end of the year, and you need the game (like last year vs. the Tigers), then you make it up at the very end. If it was tomorrow's game, they wouldn't bother since the Indians have to be in Boston on Thursday. Since they're playing tomorrow, why not play two?

FielderJones
09-29-2009, 04:18 PM

I can't imagine the net will be positive.

I suppose you get the rain checks off your books, but you take your lumps at concessions and parking. Maybe it's a lesser loss. :shrug:

TDog
09-29-2009, 04:26 PM

The Indians still lose a gate with a "straight doubleheader," a.k.a. a rulebook doubleheader, as the official rules of major leaue baseball define a doubleheader as two games played on one day for a single admission.

voodoochile
09-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I can't imagine the net will be positive.

I suppose you get the rain checks off your books, but you take your lumps at concessions and parking. Maybe it's a lesser loss. :shrug:

Might even sell a few extra tickets to people who figure two games even ones that don't matter is still a good bang for the buck entertainmentwise...

Sockinchisox
09-29-2009, 05:36 PM
What game is Peavy pitching?

Neither, Peavy will pitch Friday in Detroit, Buehrle and Torres are going tomorrow.

Trav
09-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Well I would be sad if they didn't play two tomorrow.

Brian26
09-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Might even sell a few extra tickets to people who figure two games even ones that don't matter is still a good bang for the buck entertainmentwise...

It's always nice when a game matters in the playoff hunt, but there's something to be said for being able to sit back and enjoy a baseball game (or two) without a huge emotional investment...just because its baseball.

DSpivack
09-29-2009, 07:29 PM
It's always nice when a game matters in the playoff hunt, but there's something to be said for being able to sit back and enjoy a baseball game (or two) without a huge emotional investment...just because its baseball.

Or both. :tongue:

Visited my sister in Denver this past weekend, we took in a great Rockies-Cardinals game friday night.

Brian26
09-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Or both. :tongue:

Visited my sister in Denver this past weekend, we took in a great Rockies-Cardinals game friday night.

You win the thread. :redneck

jfinsocal
09-30-2009, 11:20 AM
When was the last time the White Sox and Cubs each had a DH on the same day?

eriqjaffe
09-30-2009, 11:27 AM
When was the last time the White Sox and Cubs each had a DH on the same day?The snotty answer would be to assume that DH meant "Designated Hitter", in which case the answer would be June 28. :tongue:

KenBerryGrab
09-30-2009, 11:56 AM
While it's never fun to have your team be out of it, there is something to be said for savoring the last few games of the season, as the leaves crunch under your feet, the daylight fades and a hint of frost is in the air.

Savoring the end of another season is like trying to grab on to Jell-o, it keeps sliding through your grasp.

Huisj
09-30-2009, 12:03 PM
While it's never fun to have your team be out of it, there is something to be said for savoring the last few games of the season, as the leaves crunch under your feet, the daylight fades and a hint of frost is in the air.

Savoring the end of another season is like trying to grab on to Jell-o, it keeps sliding through your grasp.

The end of this year is sad to me. Watching this team has been a bummer at times, but I also feel like I missed the season. This is the first year since 2000 I didn't make it to at least Sox game (I didn't even make it to any MLB games at all), and that makes me sad.