PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else think White Flag II would be a good thing?

SoxxoS
06-09-2002, 02:27 AM
I am all for trading Lee, Valentin or Clayton, Durham, Lofton, Alomar (to whoever would want him), and maybe even Foulke. I seriously think if you replaced...

Lee with Borchard (+) Borch will play better D at the corner and has a 95% chance of hitting better than El Stupido.
Valentin with Crede (+) saying Crede would replace Manos
Clayton with Valentin (+) Saying Crede would replace Manos, Manos would replace Clayton
Rowand for Lofton (-) but, he could get a good prospect for someone who we probably arent going to resign.
Durham for Harris (=) Lets not forget this year, I think Ray has 11 errors, hitting .275, and has 3 Homers. Not many swipes either.
Alomar with...nevermind, I dont think anyone wants Sandy.

So, basically, there are upgrades and most areas, PLUS we get prospects in return to restock our minor league system. I am all for it. Any thoughts? Oh and finally.. :firenardi

RedPinStripes
06-09-2002, 02:50 AM
I agree with everything except Lofton.

baggio202
06-09-2002, 03:35 AM
if a white flag trade included that piece of garbage called kenny williams iml all for it..what a jag off...im sure its the fans fault the team is 2 games under .500

PaleHoseGeorge
06-09-2002, 07:20 AM
I'm all for "White Flagging" Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny Williams, and Jerry Manuel.

As for the players, let the new owner and a competent staff sort it out.

The last thing the Sox need to do right now is throw in the towel. It's been eight years since the last strike and the franchise is still hurting from all the PR gaffes of this outfit.

Spiff
06-09-2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I think Ray has 11 errors, hitting .275, and has 3 Homers. Not many swipes either.

16 SB's isn't bad.

Tragg
06-09-2002, 09:23 AM
In White Flag I, we traded 2 Productive major league pitchers plus a 3rd who while pretty old, could plug a rotation as a fifth starter.

What we have to offer for white flag II is basically junk - players in off years, players who simply aren't good, etc. How can a contender believe that carlos lee will help them? Now Alomar, with that .290 average would fool a bad GM - but bad GMs usually have teams that don't need veterans for the playoffs - they aren't going to the playoffs.

And all we got from White Flag I, when you narrow it down, was Foulke and Howry. (and on paper we didn't really get any stud giant prospect - maybe caruso was one). It really wasn't a good trade - it didn't devestate us for years or anything, but we didn't get that much. Compare what we got for those QUALITY players, to what the RedSox got for, who was it, Heathcliffe Slocumb?: 2 of Seattle's best prospects.

But, give it a month. And if we still are wallowing below .500, I'd put Lofton, Durham, Alomar and Foulke on the block (obviously clayton and valentin too, but I doubt they'd bring anything).

duke of dorwood
06-09-2002, 09:37 AM
Lofton is the only legit lead-off man we have had in some time, and unless we get one in return, he has to stay.

alohafri
06-09-2002, 09:45 AM
The biggest problem is that we wouldn't get anything for any of these guys. Frank wouldn't even get us the proverbial bag of balls the way he is playing.

These guys are playing unmotivated baseball. We were tied 1-1 in the 8th and they panned the bench. Everyone looked as if we were down by 10! This is management's fault. If Reinsdork isn't just using this team as a tax write off, he needs to get rid of the three headed monster of Lenny Williams, Jerry "Sleepy" Manuel, and Nardi Cantpitchos. I think the players are just so disgusted with these idiots who don't know what they are doing, they aren't playing. It is the manager's job to get them motivated.

Tragg
06-09-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Lofton is the only legit lead-off man we have had in some time, and unless we get one in return, he has to stay.

The last one since Tim Raines, no doubt. The problem is that he's gone after this year, I would presume. If we aren't going anywhere, we should try to get something for him - and we should be able to get a lot.

jklm
06-09-2002, 10:09 AM
:KW

My time to earn my paycheck!

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 10:40 AM
alot of people are saying trade lee, so was i when we probably could have gotten something of value for him, like last yr .............. does anybody really think now we get anything for him, let alone any team willing to trade for him?

kevingrt
06-09-2002, 11:32 AM
White Flag I was much better, but I 'll wait till the All-Star Break till I jump on any White Flag bandwagon!

CerberusWG
06-09-2002, 12:41 PM
I say give Lofton all the money he wants. He's just too good.

Iguana775
06-09-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
I say give Lofton all the money he wants. He's just too good.

agreed!!!

neal
06-09-2002, 02:14 PM
I'm for it, but wait. When the trade deadline comes around and we're 10 games back and have been playing like we have been recently, yes, do it. The only thing is that in one of those trades, we better get a decent catcher who is ready to play in the majors immediately, not a prospect in 4 years or something - for the reason that Johnson would be our only catcher, and he can't catch every game. Plus, we have no catching prospects down on the farm.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by neal
I'm for it, but wait. When the trade deadline comes around and we're 10 games back and have been playing like we have been recently, yes, do it. The only thing is that in one of those trades, we better get a decent catcher who is ready to play in the majors immediately, not a prospect in 4 years or something - for the reason that Johnson would be our only catcher, and he can't catch every game. Plus, we have no catching prospects down on the farm. depends on what your defination of a prospect is......... we have paul and olvio(sp) :D:

neal
06-09-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
depends on what your defination of a prospect is......... we have paul and olvio(sp) :D:

uhh.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 02:22 PM

uhh. ok i should've used teal.............

neal
06-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
ok i should've used teal.............

heh, I knew you were being sarcastic... I was just responding in disqust.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 02:25 PM

heh, I knew you were being sarcastic... I was just responding in disqust. oops