PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-28 Sox are great when the pressure's off, beat Indians 6-1 postgame

Frater Perdurabo
09-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Discuss

JermaineDye05
09-28-2009, 08:32 PM
I guess Ozzie figured he couldn't count on the bullpen to get John that 13th win, so he let him do it himself.

Nice job, Johnny!!

voodoochile
09-28-2009, 08:36 PM
I guess Ozzie figured he couldn't count on the bullpen to get John that 13th win, so he let him do it himself.

Nice job, Johnny!!

Maybe Ozzie wanted to give Danks a shot at his first complete game...

soxfanreggie
09-28-2009, 08:37 PM
I just looked at the box and saw that our highest batting average of a player in this game was .279, along with 6 of 9 players under .240. I really hope that this changes next year.

Anyone else think we can try again to get John to sign a long-term deal? 13-10 with a 3.69 ERA, could have easily been something like 17-8. He had a stretch of 8 starts recently where he went at least 6 innings each game and gave up 3 or less earned runs. Unfortunately, his record was only 3-1 over that span. He's also went at least 6 innings in each start since late July.

GlassSox
09-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Absolutely good job by Danks and I'm glad he got the complete game. Bacon once again shows his ever developing talent.

SOXSINCE'70
Glad to see Danks get back on track.

8 of his last 9 outings have been "quality" outings
(6 or more IP, 3 or fewer ER).

But when it comes to this lost season,
to paraphrase a Yardbirds song,"Still, I'm Sad".:(:

JermaineDye05
Maybe Ozzie wanted to give Danks a shot at his first complete game...

Sorry, I forgot teal.

soxinem1
09-28-2009, 08:39 PM
I prefer to think positive, as this was the first time Danks has registered a complete game.

And he got that damn hex off pitching against CLE. He's not pitched well agianst them in the past.

All we can do now is build for 2010, like it or not.

LongLiveFisk
09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
:notoons:indianslose

Sorry, couldn't resist! :cool:

Frankfan4life
09-28-2009, 08:48 PM
I couldn't stop thinking about how miserable it must be to be a Jndians fan right now. Compared to them, we had a dream season.

DumpJerry
09-28-2009, 08:55 PM
I just looked at the box and saw that our highest batting average of a player in this game was .279, along with 6 of 9 players under .240. I really hope that this changes next year.

Anyone else think we can try again to get John to sign a long-term deal? 13-10 with a 3.69 ERA, could have easily been something like 17-8. He had a stretch of 8 starts recently where he went at least 6 innings each game and gave up 3 or less earned runs. Unfortunately, his record was only 3-1 over that span. He's also went at least 6 innings in each start since late July.
Don't worry. He'll sign an extension.

DrCrawdad
09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
I couldn't stop thinking about how miserable it must be to be a Jndians fan right now. Compared to them, we had a dream season.

How many people actually pushed thru the turnstiles tonight?

thomas35forever
09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Missed most of the game, but a great job by Danks.

Dibbs
09-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Nice to see Beckham finish strong. It would be great if he pulled off the ROY. I thought he lost his chance a while ago.

BleacherBandit
09-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Nice to see Beckham finish strong. It would be great if he pulled off the ROY. I thought he lost his chance a while ago.

Who's gonna win it instead?

Dibbs
09-28-2009, 09:04 PM

I hope nobody else wins it. Andrus, Bailey, Porcello are just a few names I've heard. I think Gordon derserves it.

oeo
09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
It's always nice to beat the Indians. :cool:

JermaineDye05
09-28-2009, 09:06 PM

Rick Porcello, Andrew Bailey, or Elvis Andrus.

Numbers wise, Bailey is his biggest competition with 26 saves and a 1.88 ERA.

However, if the Tigers win the Central that could be a big boost for Porcello who already has 14 wins and a couple more starts to go.

tstrike2000
09-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Obviously we all wish the Sox were in a different place, but hopefully they can play a few more games like this and end on a high note.

shingo10
09-28-2009, 09:07 PM
I really hope this is a sign of things to come from Ozzie. Forget about what inning it is and Forget about what the pitch count is. Let the guy who gives you the best shot pitch. Tonight Danks was nearly unhittable so why not let him go?

Hopefully he can manage like this in games that actually matter next year. I feel he "outdumbs" himself when it comes to the use of his pitching/bullpen.

Noneck
09-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Hopefully he can manage like this in games that actually matter next year. I feel he "outdumbs" himself when it comes to the use of his pitching/bullpen.

Next year he should have a solid 4. Ride those horses, save that pen.

veeter
09-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Why not finish strong? Good job John, let's win out.

SBSoxFan
09-28-2009, 09:27 PM

Back before Dye's free fall and Beckham's little slump, they were running at least 4 guys out there every day who were batting close to .300: Pods, Beckham, Dye, AJ. Meanwhile, Detroit had Cabrera and everybody else. Look where they ended up.

Regarding the game, I think this team is finally hitting its stride!

soxinem1
09-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Next year he should have a solid 4. Ride those horses, save that pen.

TEX pitching staff went from one of the worst (consistently) to one of the best this year.

Nolan Ryan scrapped the pitch count, inning restrictions, and implied strongly since ST that the LHH/LHP, RHH, RHP should be limited, and look what happened. Ryan was an old-school starter so I can see his bias in doing things that way, but the results are pretty obvious.

One reason why the 2005 White Sox were so successful is because the starters worked so deep into games. Consistently, they made it into and past the seventh inning, thus your bullpen doesn't get over-used.

And speaking of riding the four, they need a fifth and must ride him too.

Frankfan4life
09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
How many people actually pushed thru the turnstiles tonight?Apparently, it was nowhere near the 23,088 announced attendance. But I could definitely hear the booing from those who did show up.

Noneck
09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Why just a 5? How about a 5 and 5a. If you ride the horses you can afford to carry a 5 and 5a.

Tragg
09-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Finally some of the young players are in...this should have happened at least a week ago.
Good to see Fields at first - how did he look?
Getz is the 2nd baseman on this team and he needs to be playing as well. He needs experience against pitchers from both sides.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-28-2009, 09:52 PM
TEX pitching staff went from one of the worst (consistently) to one of the best this year.

Nolan Ryan scrapped the pitch count, inning restrictions, and implied strongly since ST that the LHH/LHP, RHH, RHP should be limited, and look what happened. Ryan was an old-school starter so I can see his bias in doing things that way, but the results are pretty obvious.

One reason why the 2005 White Sox were so successful is because the starters worked so deep into games. Consistently, they made it into and past the seventh inning, thus your bullpen doesn't get over-used.

We got a fifth, Daniel Hudson. He's going to be a good one.

Big D
09-28-2009, 09:54 PM

Of course, you have to have the horses to ride them. If the Washington Nationals were to start pushing their starters deeper into games, I highly doubt it would work very well. Luckily, the Sox will have the horses next year. Danks and Floyd have several years under their belts, and Peavy and Buehrle are vets, so there's no reason to baby them.

soxinem1
09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Of course, you have to have the horses to ride them. If the Washington Nationals were to start pushing their starters deeper into games, I highly doubt it would work very well. Luckily, the Sox will have the horses next year. Danks and Floyd have several years under their belts, and Peavy and Buehrle are vets, so there's no reason to baby them.

And who were the super-vets in the TEX rotation? Millwood? Most of them were prospects who worked from Little League on with pitch counts and inning restrictions so Ryan's way was totally unknown to them.

WAS does have some good arms that were brought up this year. If the Natinals stop using journeyman failures and let their kids just throw, they will grow up too.

And regarding 2010, I expect Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, and Floyd to all have 200-215 IP each. If that happens, they can carry Hudson as a fifth starter.

But doesn't Garcia have a cheap option for 2010? He may be #5, at least to begin the year.

palehozenychicty
09-28-2009, 10:13 PM
And who were the super-vets in the TEX rotation? Millwood? Most of them were prospects who worked from Little League on with pitch counts and inning restrictions so Ryan's way was totally unknown to them.

WAS does have some good arms that were brought up this year. If the Natinals stop using journeyman failures and let their kids just throw, they will grow up too.

And regarding 2010, I expect Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, and Floyd to all have 200-215 IP each. If that happens, they can carry Hudson as a fifth starter.

But doesn't Garcia have a cheap option for 2010? He may be #5, at least to begin the year.

Indeed. They have suffered from poor management more than anything else. They have the resources to be a good team.

I think that Garcia and Hudson are in line for the last starting slot, assuming that no other starters are brought in or on the farm horizon.

GoGoCrede
09-28-2009, 10:15 PM
I said this last year, and I'll say it again:

I can't wait for next season. I think we're gonna be awesome.

I guess it's all for the best that we don't go deep into October. I have 4 papers due in the next two weeks, and I'm sitting here in in the library procrastinating. I almost flunked a midterm the week of the 2008 ALDS.

Big D
09-28-2009, 10:31 PM

There's a difference between young starters with potential and absolute ****ty starting pitching (although Washington does have some young pitchers, so they may not have been the best example). If your starters are completely terrible, the last thing you want to do is keep them out there longer. Of course, if your bullpen is just as bad (like Washington's is) then it hardly matters.

guillensdisciple
09-28-2009, 10:45 PM

I guess it's all for the best that we don't go deep into October. I have 4 papers due in the next two weeks, and I'm sitting here in in the library procrastinating. I almost flunked a midterm the week of the 2008 ALDS.

Ditto. I have two papers and three quizzes due this week.

I am not that excited right now, and the Sox being out of it relieves a lot of the pressure I could of had while studying.

Anyway- I said this four days ago and I will say it again:

The White Sox will win the central next year, and the White Sox will win the World Series next year.

LITTLE NELL
09-29-2009, 05:41 AM

I wish I could share your enthusiasm but there are too many question marks.

Who will replace Dye.
Who is our DH.
Who will close.
How does the defense improve.
Besides Thornton and DJ who is in our bullpen.
Who is our 5th starter. I'm not sold on Garcia.

KW has some work to do.

Craig Grebeck
09-29-2009, 06:12 AM
I hope nobody else wins it. Andrus, Bailey, Porcello are just a few names I've heard. I think Gordon derserves it.
I think Gordon's a better pick than Andrus, but I'd definitely pick Brett Anderson and both Bailey and Porcello over Gordon. He just cooled off too much.

guillensdisciple
09-29-2009, 06:22 AM

Who will replace Dye.
Who is our DH.
Who will close.

KW has some work to do.

I think you are looking too much negative over positive.

While it is a good point, there is still a very good chance that much of this season was a complete aberration for many of these White Sox players. I am almost a hundred percent sure that Rios, and Quentin will not be so unproductive. Also, the fact that Alexei will be steady, Getz/ Beckham will improve, and you can expect some tweaking in the line-up probably means next years Sox will be a lot better than this years.

This starting rotation is top notch. You don't need to be sold on Garcia, the White Sox have a very very good choice to either side with Hudson or Garcia. The bullpen is our only weakness, but even there I can see Kenny doing some quick fixes, especially if he believes that he does not need much to improve this team (and I don't think he will).

This team (sans Dye, Linebrink) deserves a second chance, and I really want to see them on the field after a full spring training to allow them time to mesh. There seemed to be a lot of discontinuity between team, and it was not because they disliked each other, but rather because everything had a new feel to it.

I like taht, and I can't wait to see what the White Sox have to offer us next year.

Hitmen77
09-29-2009, 09:29 AM

It's a huge drop off from being up 3 games to 1 in the ALCS less than 24 months ago.:o: IMO, their fans are the most obnoxious in our division. So I'm glad to see them crash and unload their top players.

I don't know if they have another crop of top talent waiting in the wings, but it would be fine with me if they were stuck as also rans for the foreseeable future.

How many people actually pushed thru the turnstiles tonight?

That 455 sellout streak seems like a long, long time ago now. They haven't surpassed 2.3 million in attendance since 2002. Not even in their near-pennant 2007 season. That's going to make it tough for them to keep any talent they develop.

I remember several people in the media saying in 2005-06 that Indians fans were better than Sox fans because they supported their team no matter what and didn't only draw well when their team is playing well......um, I guess that was proven to be completely false.

Hitmen77
09-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Absolutely good job by Danks and I'm glad he got the complete game. Bacon once again shows his ever developing talent.

Great outing by Danks. As long as Floyd's hip problem are just a short-term issue and is healed by spring, our top 4 starters should be outstanding next year.

A hit and a walk for Flowers. Good to see that from one of our top prospects. I'd like to see him play most of the rest of this week.

kaufsox
09-29-2009, 10:17 AM

KW has some work to do.

Agree with the first point. I think the bullpen and defense were the downfall of this team. On the second point, what does Sweaty Freddie have to do to convince you he is a 5th starter? He has been quite solid for most of his time with the Sox, and in the last month he has been their most consistent starter. I'm not saying sign him to a 3 year extension, but he definitely gets a shot come spring.

On another note, this last week is kind of bittersweet. My son has REALLY gotten into baseball this summer and every morning he asks how the Sox did, what was the score, how did Beckham do? I'm going to miss that in a week.

voodoochile
09-29-2009, 10:26 AM

Who will replace Dye.
Who is our DH.
Who will close.

KW has some work to do.

I numbered your questions. I will now reply by numbers...

This is the burning question of the off season, IMO. Finding a big bat to play the OF is the single biggest priority on KW's plate. It might even be Dye who would split time in the OF and at DH
I think it will be a rotating situation with Pods, TCQ, PK and the guy acquired in answer number one all taking time there to keep them fresh.
I expect it will be Bobby. If not then Thornton will be the guy. They might trade Bobby and offer Dotel a cheaper extension, but I doubt it.
It already has. Infield should be fine with another year of experience. OF will depend on the answer to number 1 and what happens with TCQ's foot issue.
Bobby for one. Linebrink obviously though that's not necessarily a good thing. Nunez, Torres, Williams I expect will all be there too. Torres might be traded for a middle/setup relief pitcher.
Garcia has earned the first crack and at 1.5M for next year he's a bargain. I doubt they will go acquire someone else and would count on Hudson to be the backup if Garcia struggles. If Torres doesn't get traded he offers another option and obviously Carrasco can spot start if he is stretched out enough to do so. Are you saying they shouldn't pick up Garcia's option and if so why not and who would you like to see take that slot if not Freddie?

palehozenychicty
09-29-2009, 10:42 AM

This is the burning question of the off season, IMO. Finding a big bat to play the OF is the single biggest priority on KW's plate. It might even be Dye who would split time in the OF and at DH
I think it will be a rotating situation with Pods, TCQ, PK and the guy acquired in answer number one all taking time there to keep them fresh.
I expect it will be Bobby. If not then Thornton will be the guy. They might trade Bobby and offer Dotel a cheaper extension, but I doubt it.
It already has. Infield should be fine with another year of experience. OF will depend on the answer to number 1 and what happens with TCQ's foot issue.
Bobby for one. Linebrink obviously though that's not necessarily a good thing. Nunez, Torres, Williams I expect will all be there too. Torres might be traded for a middle/setup relief pitcher.
Garcia has earned the first crack and at 1.5M for next year he's a bargain. I doubt they will go acquire someone else and would count on Hudson to be the backup if Garcia struggles. If Torres doesn't get traded he offers another option and obviously Carrasco can spot start if he is stretched out enough to do so. Are you saying they shouldn't pick up Garcia's option and if so why not and who would you like to see take that slot if not Freddie?

Honestly, I hope not. I love Dye, but it's just time to move on. Podsednik can return if no better options surface. His fielding, though, is a major problem.

I also think they'll give Jenks another chance. This is the first time he's really been subpar on the field.

Everything else makes sense.

Crestani
09-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Great outing by Danks. As long as Floyd's hip problem are just a short-term issue and is healed by spring, our top 4 starters should be outstanding next year.

A hit and a walk for Flowers. Good to see that from one of our top prospects. I'd like to see him play most of the rest of this week.

Floyd's hip problem brings back some bad memories. I remember Britt Burns had a hip problem at about the same age as Floyd and had to retire because of it. I hope that Floyd's injury is something less serious.

As to the comments about Flowers and everyone wanting to see more of him. I only hope that he gets another full year in AAA before he is on the 25 man. He needs to learn how to hit breaking pitches better.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Voodoo:

I'm not Nellie but I'll chime in.

Garcia's option should absolutely be picked up. At that price, no question HOWEVER the guy has barely pitched in two years and is coming off arm surgery.

He should not just be handed the job before Kenny has a chance to see how the off season is shaping up, if it will be a buyer's market again and who might be available for a resonable price, who hasn't missed most of the last two years.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Floyd's hip problem brings back some bad memories. I remember Britt Burns had a hip problem at about the same age as Floyd and had to retire because of it. I hope that Floyd's injury is something less serious.Burns's hip problem was congenital. It was something he'd had all his life. I don't think that's the case with Gavin.

oeo
09-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Didn't Little League just recently start using pitch counts?

Anyway, I think you're overrating Ryan's release of pitch count restrictions. It sounds like nothing more than coincidence to me that their pitching hasn't been the league's worst for once. The Rangers' rotation is right in the middle of the pack in terms of innings pitched. You know which rotation leads the AL? The Chicago White Sox.

In my opinion pitch counts are a good thing. The problem with the way it works now is that somehow 100 is the limit. Where did that number even come from? Every guy has their limit. Some might be at 80, others could be at 150 or more. It's about knowing your pitchers. Completely ignoring pitch counts would be a mistake.

October26
09-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I love to see the Sox play well and win a game like the one against the Indians last night. Danks was absolutely awesome! I know that the pressure is off, but I still enjoy watching every White Sox winner. Since there are only a few games left for our Sox this season, I hope that they can finish the season strong. Go Sox!

LITTLE NELL
09-29-2009, 03:00 PM

On the Garcia thing, I just don't want another year of groping for a 5th starter like we did this year with 4 and 5(Contreras and Colon).
I'd love for Garcia to come through for us, but I would'nt bet the bank on him.
I don't want to beat a dead horse but trading Javy was a big mistake.
I said it was a mistake from the start.
Those 14 games he's won this year might have won the division for us this year.

Noneck
09-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Those 14 games he's won this year might have won the division for us this year.

Get ready for the company guys comments saying "Then the Sox couldnt have gotten Peavy."

asindc
09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Get ready for the company guys comments saying "Then the Sox couldnt have gotten Peavy."

Am I correct in inferring from your comment that you do not believe that budget restrictions would have prevented the Sox from acquiring Peavy if the club was paying Vazquez $12 million this year?

Noneck
09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Am I correct in inferring from your comment that you do not believe that budget restrictions would have prevented the Sox from acquiring Peavy if the club was paying Vazquez $12 million this year?

Not at all. The budget restrictions set by management would not have allowed the keeping of Vazquez or Swisher and the obtaining of Peavy. If these restrictions were necessary, no one on this board knows forsure.

I get annoyed how people take what is told to them by management about their finances as being a fact. Until books are opened , teams are going bankrupt or are being sold for a song, I take whatever is told about finances with a grain of salt.

voodoochile
09-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Not at all. The budget restrictions set by management would not have allowed the keeping of Vazquez or Swisher and the obtaining of Peavy. If these restrictions were necessary, no one on this board knows forsure.

I get annoyed how people take what is told to them by management about their finances as being a fact. Until books are opened , teams are going bankrupt or are being sold for a song, I take whatever is told about finances with a grain of salt.

5 years ago, I would have agreed with you, but with the way the Sox have blown up the payroll in that time period and what we know about other economic factors this past year, I'm willing to accept that the Sox felt they had to reduce payroll this off season.

Regardless of whether I believe they had to do it or not, I believe KW was under orders to do it and that's all that matters. KW has spent more and taken more chances than any GM in Sox history, so I don't believe he went out of his way to cut his own throat. After that, I could scream JR is cheap and timid, but it seems kind of silly and pointless to me.

Since there is no evidence to the contrary railing against the "necessary" payroll cuts as potentially mythical seems as productive as railing against the boogieman and will do me as much good as going to my bathroom, turning out the light, looking in the mirror and saying "Jerry Reinsdorf Jerry Reinsdorf Jerry Reinsdorf" and expecting a 70 year old man to jump out of the wall and slash the payroll to $50M next year.

Little Nell: I'd agree if they didn't have Hudson waiting in the wings. Spending more money on a sixth starter on the chance that Garcia will fail seems counterproductive to me. The money would best be spent elsewhere, IMO.

Noneck
09-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Since there is no evidence to the contrary railing against the "necessary" payroll cuts as potentially mythical seems as productive as railing against the boogieman and will do me as much good as going to my bathroom, turning out the light, looking in the mirror and saying "Jerry Reinsdorf Jerry Reinsdorf Jerry Reinsdorf" and expecting a 70 year old man to jump out of the wall and slash the payroll to $50M next year.

Similar to Mary Worth, Mary Worth, Mary Worth, I don't believe you? Well I am a chicken , I never did the Mary Worth bit and sure as heck wont do the Jerry Reinsdorf bit either.

voodoochile
09-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Similar to Mary Worth, Mary Worth, Mary Worth, I don't believe you? Well I am a chicken , I never did the Mary Worth bit and sure as heck wont do the Jerry Reinsdorf bit either.

:tongue:

I was actually thinking of the bad horror movie Candyman which I have done, and I'm still here to type about it.

TommyJohn
09-29-2009, 05:39 PM
On the Garcia thing, I just don't want another year of groping for a 5th starter like we did this year with 4 and 5(Contreras and Colon).
I'd love for Garcia to come through for us, but I would'nt bet the bank on him.
Those 14 games he's won this year might have won the division for us this year.There's the key words right there. MIGHT HAVE. And the sox MIGHT HAVE made other moves instead of that one that would cost them the division. All this MIGHT HAVE BULL**** drives me ****ing nuts. It MIGHT HAVE. But it might not have. And it won't. What is the ****ing point of moaning about it?