PDA

View Full Version : NYY and Red Sox fans

Fenway
09-27-2009, 08:01 PM
This very long article filled the NY Daily News on Sunday.

It is an excellent read about Boston and New York and the fans. After reading this you may still hate the teams and the fans but you might have to admit they love baseball.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/09/20/2009-09-20_diehard_supporters_of_yankees_red_sox.html

chisoxfanatic
09-27-2009, 08:13 PM
This very long article filled the NY Daily News on Sunday.

It is an excellent read about Boston and New York and the fans. After reading this you may still hate the teams and the fans but you might have to admit they love baseball.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/09/20/2009-09-20_diehard_supporters_of_yankees_red_sox.html
Other cities' fans love baseball too. What's the difference?

pythons007
09-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Other cities' fans love baseball too. What's the difference?

Exactly, the media makes it out that the Yankee and Red Saux fans are the only real deal fans. No one can compare to those fans. Its typical east coast BS.

Fenway
09-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Try reading it as it is not what you think

doublem23
09-27-2009, 10:31 PM

I read the first few pages, it is exactly what people here have said, your typical Northeastern publication telling other Northeasterners how great people from the Northeast are.

Wonder where all these "diehard" Northeastern baseball fans were in 1990 when the Yankees finished 67-95, 7th in the AL East. They drew just over 2 million that year, 9th in the A.L. Or in 1983, when the 6th place Red Sox drew 1.7 million fans, also 9th in the A.L. Perhaps we should change this article's name to "Northeastern baseball fans are the best... Only when their teams are on prolonged streaks of success."

Noneck
09-27-2009, 10:47 PM
I read the first few pages, it is exactly what people here have said, your typical Northeastern publication telling other Northeasterners how great people from the Northeast are.

Wonder where all these "diehard" Northeastern baseball fans were in 1990 when the Yankees finished 67-95, 7th in the AL East. They drew just over 2 million that year, 9th in the A.L. Or in 1983, when the 6th place Red Sox drew 1.7 million fans, also 9th in the A.L. Perhaps we should change this article's name to "Northeastern baseball fans are the best... Only when their teams are on prolonged streaks of success."

Yes, the northeast is the center of the baseball universe and they are the only true fans. And our cage is rattled again.

Shoeless_Jeff
09-27-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm just hoping one day that the Yankees and Red Sox will have a lengthy bad streak sometime soon.

cards press box
09-27-2009, 11:28 PM

This is a great point. Seriously, does anyone think that so-called Yankee nation would follow the Bombers around from town to town as if they were the Beatles circa 1965 if they had streak of losing seasons that the Pirates currently have? Not a chance. I've always liked the Red Sox far more than the Yankees but the same holds true for Red Sox nation, too.

By my reckoning, the Yankees have competed on an even arguably fair playing field with the rest of baseball for exactly twelve years, from 1965 through 1976. Prior to 1965, baseball did not have an amateur draft. In those days, the Yanks had a stranglehold on all of the best amateur talent. After 1976, the free agency era began. We all know that the Yankees use their accident of geography (and attendant accident of local media revenue that dwarfs every other team) to get a stranglehold on the available free agent talent. See, e.g., Sabathia, C.C; Teixera, Mark; Burnett, A.J., Damon, Johnny; and Matsui, Hideki among many, many examples.

Wait, I almost forgot. From 1965 to 1976, the Yankees won exactly one pennant in 1976. And the Big Red Machine of small market Cincinnati swept them in the World Series, 4-0. So maybe the Yankees' secret isn't ghosts and aura. Maybe it is just exploiting their unfair share of media revenue to monopolize available talent. And before any hot head Yankee fan complains, it takes two teams to play a game and it isn't right to set up the rules so that the Yanks get something around 30 times the revenue of the K.C.'s or Milwaukees of the world get. And that brings me back to the N.Y. Daily News article singing the praises of the Yankee and Red Sox fans in the northeast. I've always thought that the arguments of Yankee fans about revenue sharing are really predicated on the notion that Yankee fans are more important than fans of other teams in the midwest or in other small market areas. Well, Los Angeles isn't a small market but the Angels' competition with the Dodgers has always reminded me of the Sox' competition with the Cubs so I can hope that the Angels beat the Bombers in the playoffs. Maybe that would finally shut ESPN up, if only for a little while.

SI1020
09-28-2009, 08:06 AM
I plan on reading the article but haven't as yet. Regarding the anger and antipathy towards the NE, I hear it and understand it. I pay very little attention to ESPN, and haven't for years. That being said, we've been more of a football nation since the 1960s. Baseball is king in NY and Boston and there are many rabid knowledgeable fans that follow the Yankees and Red Sox. These are two baseball cities in a football country. Then again so are Cincinnati and St. Louis and you rarely see a media outlet feature either of them.

cws05champ
09-28-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm just hoping one day that the Yankees and Red Sox will have a lengthy bad streak sometime soon.
Not under the current CBA and economic structure of baseball....

Zakath
09-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Not under the current CBA and economic structure of baseball....

When both are throwing money around like it's water in their love dance to outdo each other, yeah, prolonged losing streaks aren't going to happen.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2009, 11:09 AM
All I know is that it's a hell of a lot easier to be a "true" fan when you have had 17 consecutive winning seasons (Yankees) and 12 consecutive winning seasons (Red Sox). When you've been to the playoffs 9 times in the past 10 years (Yankees) and soon to be 6 times in the past ten years (Red Sox.)

Those fans are no better than fans anywhere else under the same situations.

Lip

asindc
09-28-2009, 11:15 AM
All I know is that it's a hell of a lot easier to be a "true" fan when you have had 17 consecutive winning seasons (Yankees) and 12 consecutive winning seasons (Red Sox). When you've been to the playoffs 9 times in the past 10 years (Yankees) and soon to be 6 times in the past ten years (Red Sox.)

Lip

Perfectly said.

areilly
09-28-2009, 12:11 PM
People like sports? And for varied individual reasons which unite them under the vast umbrella created by two disparate franchises? And some of those fans are wacky characters while others have intensely moving personal backstories? That's awesome and I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Coffey that only followers of the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox could so perfectly illustrate the human drama - and that they are the most passionate in all of sports.

Not Pittsburgh and Cleveland, nor Dallas and Washington, D.C. Certainly not San Francisco and Los Angeles. Not CF America and CD Guadelajara, nor Rangers and Celtic nor followers of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens, nor Duke and North Carolina fans, Michigan and Michigan State fans, or even fans of the two baseball teams in our very own Chicago.

No, only the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, for they form the Last Great Rivalry. It even says so on the New York Daily News' website.

Yawn.

beasly213
09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
I read it. It was boring byt that's probably because I don't care about either of those teams.
Like others have said there are plenty of passionate fans all over the country not just in Boston and NY

soxfan22
09-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Ok, here's my two cents worth.
The Yankees and Red Sox are recognised not only from their success but from the rivalry they have!

"There's no better rivalry in sports.........." blah blah blah.

Fans of these teams are are touted by their own media as being the most fervant, loyal fan base.........well.........they have to say that, and they don't hold anything back when they print it! Ofcourse, when fans of other less successful teams as the Yankees and Red Sox read these articles, they take umbridge, they shout out that they "are as loyal as any other teams fans" if not more.

Success spoils fans! Makes them fickle. I'd say Yankee fans top the league in that department, it doesn't take long at "Jeter Stadium" for the boos to ring out, and the boos also rang out when they played across the road.............. But, wait a minute...........teams get boo'd by their own fans all the time..............but because it's the Yankees or the Red Sox, it means a lot more!!!

But, if we don't like it..........we don't have to read these articles, they'll always going to be there though, no matter what.

Just an opinion.

Hitmen77
09-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Diehard supporters of Yankees, Red Sox are the most passionate in all of sports
....I stopped reading right there.

Lip

Oh come on, Lip. Don't you realize that people who choose to follow the richest, most popular, and most successful teams in a league are the most "diehard" in all of sports? :rolleyes:

To be fair, this is an article from a NY local paper. So, of course they're going to view the world through Yankee$-Red $ox glasses. But as the late Mayor Washington once said: that's not arrogance, that's hubris!

Madscout
09-28-2009, 02:00 PM
"Diehard supporters of Yankees, Red Sox are the most passionate in all of sports"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/09/20/2009-09-20_diehard_supporters_of_yankees_red_sox.html#ixzz 0SQgL8PwF

That tells me all I need to know.

SoxFan78
09-29-2009, 08:53 AM
As soon as I saw the banner "Last Great Rivalry" I stopped right there. I just don't understand why MLB just doesn't have Boston and NY play in the world series and have the other 28 teams play for 3rd place.

Maybe there should be a channel dedicated just to these great two rivals. Oh yeah they already do, its called ESPN.

SOXPHILE
09-29-2009, 09:17 AM
"Most passionate in sports"

Yes, tell that to us White Sox fans here. Or fans of teams like the St. Louis Cardinals, any of the Philadelphia teams, the Oakland Raiders, the Green Bay Packers, the Montreal Canadians, Chicago Bears, any football fan in the state of Texas, any basketball fan in the state of Indiana, any hockey fan in Canada, etc. etc. blah blah blah. Give me a break. Wow, Red Sox and Yankee fans say they are the most passionate, stop the presses ! This is just like Cubs fans telling us they are the best, most die hard, most loyal. If you don't believe it, just ask them. They'll tell you they are. :rolleyes:

Sad
09-29-2009, 12:40 PM
"Most passionate in sports"

Yes, tell that to us White Sox fans here. Or fans of teams like the St. Louis Cardinals, any of the Philadelphia teams, the Oakland Raiders, the Green Bay Packers, the Montreal Canadians, Chicago Bears, any football fan in the state of Texas, any basketball fan in the state of Indiana, any hockey fan in Canada, etc. etc. blah blah blah. Give me a break. Wow, Red Sox and Yankee fans say they are the most passionate, stop the presses ! This is just like Cubs fans telling us they are the best, most die hard, most loyal. If you don't believe it, just ask them. They'll tell you they are. :rolleyes:

Leafs fans would get my vote... or as I tell my Canadian business partner: Leaves :tongue:
I think their home games have been sold out since WWII...

BigKlu59
09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
:luis&nell Little Nell : Hey Louie,...You believe those Bosox and Yankmee fans are the most passionate in all of Sport ?

Lil Louie : Nah,.... It's cause they have a seaborne parasite on their brains from eating all that chowder.. It makes their tiny brains swell, so their ego's have to compensate... Joo know that Manhattan and New England chowders are full of those nasty bottom feeding clams....

Little Nell : Ya know Louie I never thought of that !!! Clam Crap could be the reason they have **** for brains !!!! How bout some chew?

Lil Louie : Nah, I'm fast enough... If I have any of that super juice in me I'd steal third without stopping at second and Senor Al might have a grabber...

Little Nell: Hey, hows about we take some swings in the cage and admire all of those "Passionate Fans" heckling us in the Bronx...

Little Louie : In Caracas we have a name for these kida of people.. We call them Legends... Legends in their own minds..

BigKlu59