PDA

View Full Version : Stoney Doing The Play By Play

tick53
09-27-2009, 07:08 PM
I thought that Stoney did an excellent job as play by play man during Hawks absence. It was refreshing to hear a broadcaster call the game instead of reminising about the old days. Mike Huff was actually tolerable this time out. When a play by play man does his job, it makes it easier for the color man to be colorful.

What did you think?

JermaineDye05
09-27-2009, 07:18 PM
I thought he did well, too. However I did miss hearing all the "He Gone!"'s during Peavy's start and the "Put it on the board"'s (especially during Friday's game. Hawk would have lost it when Beckham crushed that ball).

soxinem1
09-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Steve Stone is a professional at the mike. Always has been. He is also the first Hawk broadcast companion since Don Drysdale to be able to shove his take into the games.

But Hawk is the voice of White Sox baseball, love him or hate him. He is the only baseball broadcaster to continuously get replayed on ESPN and now MLB Network, and his enthusiasm for the team is not matched by any of the corporate sounding talking heads that do most play-by-play broadcasts.

I'm glad we have both of them.

Now we have to work on getting Farmer off the radio.......

eastchicagosoxfan
09-27-2009, 07:52 PM
I enjoyed Stone's presence all season. He's been very refreshing. I've enjoyed Hawk's call over the years, but it's getting tired. He argues balls and strikes constantly. He's alluded to being involved with the game in seven decades in 2010. I hope he hangs it up after the 2010 season.

chisoxfanatic
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Stoney was ok, but I will cry the day Hawk hangs it up for good.

BainesHOF
09-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Personally, I thought Stone was brutal in his play-by-play role. He talked way too much and had no absolutely no rhythm. Next to Huff, though, I could see why some people thought Stone was good.

Listening to Stone reminded me just how good Hawk is as a play-by-play announcer.

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Listening to Stone reminded me just how good Hawk is as a play-by-play announcer.

Hawk calls a good game, but I also wish he would shut up sometimes and let Stone analyze. Stone is the best analyst in the game and he needs more "air time." I learn something new about baseball every time I listen to Stone.

g0g0
09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
You can't go wrong with Stone. He's my favorite - very knowledge, great voice and he knows when to shut up. I like to hear stats and tidbits during the game, but don't like people yacking (not that I think Hawk does).

jabrch
09-28-2009, 01:17 PM
I really like Huff. He does a nice job with the game. Very instructive in how he broadcasts. I think that's a nice touch.

downstairs
09-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Hawk calls a good game, but I also wish he would shut up sometimes and let Stone analyze. Stone is the best analyst in the game and he needs more "air time." I learn something new about baseball every time I listen to Stone.

Exactly. And I learn nothing from Hawk, because honestly his "analysis" is nothing but the same old stories over and over.

But, it'll never change: Hawk has a huge ego.