soxinem1
09-27-2009, 04:42 PM
6 Innings
5 Walks
4 K's
3 Hits
2 Runs
1 Victory!!

Congrats on your first win the bigs Mr. Hudson, and enjoy the pie to the face!!

And congrats to Matt Thornton for his first multi-save series!

Good to see Quentin making something out of a lost season.

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Discuss it here...

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2009, 04:44 PM
I like your thread title better. :D:

KnightSox
09-27-2009, 04:44 PM
A win on a Sunday? could have used more of these.

October26
09-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Congrats to Daniel Hudson on getting his first major league win today. Sox win, Sox win! :bandance:

JermaineDye05
09-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Does this give Hudson a win at ever level this year now?

Wow. Great job. The Tigers helped him out a bit but he made sure to take advantage.

soxinem1
09-27-2009, 04:47 PM
I like your thread title better. :D:

Thanks!! I'm sure Daniel Hudson will remember those numbers the rest of his life.

DirtySox
09-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Hudson didn't have the best stuff today, but he battled. I'll take it.

SoxGirl4Life
09-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Does this give Hudson a win at ever level this year now?

Wow. Great job. The Tigers helped him out a bit but he made sure to take advantage.

Nice accomplishment for the kid.

GoGoCrede
09-27-2009, 06:01 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:What a fun game! I was hoping they'd give us a good finish. It was a perfect day to be at the ballpark. And I got a Beckham shirt for 20 bucks. :D: He addressed the crowd at the end and thanked us for coming.

I'll miss you, Sox. It was really bittersweet leaving the park for the last time this year. I had the privilege of going to more Sox games this year than I have before.

See you next year, boys. It was fun.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2009, 07:39 PM
At least the fans got their money's worth today for a change. By the way, final home attendance this year was just a tick short of 2.3 million, the 8th highest total in franchise history, not bad considering the economy and the state of play on the field.

Something the Sox are probably looking at closely though is this disturbing trend.

Since the end of the 2006 season until today, Sox attendance has dropped almost 700,000 in total and gone down every season. 06: 2.95; 07: 2.68; 08: 2.5; 09:2.3

They better win something next year...the fans are speaking with their money. Kenny "sitting out" another off season isn't going to help goose season and individual ticket sales.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
It was really bittersweet leaving the park for the last time this year.
I had the same feelings when I left the ballpark last night. I really can't believe there are no more home games left. This season flew by so quickly.

I'm going to miss hearing the fireworks from inside my apartment when I'm not at the game.

Hopefully the guys can at least give us something to look forward to during this last week of the season.

doublem23
09-27-2009, 07:58 PM
At least the fans got their money's worth today for a change. By the way, final home attendance this year was just a tick short of 2.3 million, the 8th highest total in franchise history, not bad considering the economy and the state of play on the field.

Something the Sox are probably looking at closely though is this disturbing trend.

Since the end of the 2006 season until today, Sox attendance has dropped almost 700,000 in total and gone down every season. 06: 2.95; 07: 2.68; 08: 2.5; 09:2.3

They better win something next year...the fans are speaking with their money. Kenny "sitting out" another off season isn't going to help goose season and individual ticket sales.

Lip

Pricing structure has changed in those years, too. It's not about the number of fans in the seats, it's about how much they spent to sit there.

LongLiveFisk
09-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I was there today. Far too many Tigers fans! Glad we could send them home with a loss today. Made the sunburn on my face that much more worth it. :D:

I'm looking forward to next season. I do hope Kenny makes some good moves this offseason so we can have a much better outcome next year.

jdm2662
09-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Figures the Sox win 2/3 from the Tigers and get swept by the Twins. i would've preferred the opposite, that's for sure.

Oh well, congrats to Daniel on his first major league win.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Double:

That's a great point and something I hadn't considered. Do you know how much tickets have gone up since 2006?

That may make 2.3 million worth more in terms of dollars spent (and dollars available to spend this off season.)

Lip

LongLiveFisk
09-27-2009, 09:36 PM
By the way, big kudos to the guy who sang the National Anthem and God Bless America today. He is a season ticket holder and did a fantastic job. Sang the songs the way they are meant to be sung. I forgot his name (Dan something?), but definitely a job very well done. :thumbsup:

JB98
09-27-2009, 09:43 PM
I didn't like all of Hudson's walks today, but I did like the way he handled himself in the jams. He didn't get rattled and he didn't allow the game to get away from him. He got out of a couple tight spots and minimized the damage after he walked the bases loaded in the sixth. Good poise. Congratulations to him on his first big-league victory.

While the Sox had a poor homestand overall, Quentin was a bright spot. Carlos rediscovered today that there are plenty of base hits in right center field. That's the swing I want to see from him more often. Hopefully, he can take some positives with him into the offseason because he is a huge key if the Sox hope to change their fortunes in 2010.

veeter
09-27-2009, 09:44 PM

LipThe numbers make perfect sense to me. '06: very high following World Championship, '07: still some world series residue, but remarkably high for a terrible team, '08: lower because '07 was so bad, but late season walk-ups salvage 2.5, '09: lower because of economy and no late season walk-ups.

soxlady8
09-27-2009, 09:44 PM
It was a great win :)

I was four rows back from the Tigers dugout.
There were many fans from Detroit , but they (in my own opinion) were not as obnoxious as some of the Twins fans . ( I attended a Twins game Tuesday night basically in the same area).

I had NO IDEA the Sox were signing stuff prior to the game --
That is what I get for missing a day or two of WSI !!

I was really sad making the walk to the car from the stadium.

I have had a craptastic summer filled with numerous pesonal issues and the only saving grace for me was attending MANY Sox games this season.

The highlight was attending Burhl's PERFECTO (very very last minute ... got UD tickets like 45 minutes before game ).

I look forward to everyone here chit chatting about Sox stuff over the offseason and hopefully , maybe -- I would really like to go to the Sox convention in the dead of winter , and maybe Spring training !!!

ohhh -- I wish I coulda got a ball they were throwing out at the end of the game , I guess they thought no Sox fans were hanging out over by the Tiger's duggout ----

anewman35
09-27-2009, 10:35 PM

Any fan who doesn't buy tickets because they think Kenny is "sitting out" is an idiot. Kenny made huge moves for the future DURING this season. If he added Peavy and Rios in November, people would go crazy with the amazing offseason he'd had. Doing it a few months earlier doesn't somehow mean it didn't happen.

And, no, I'm not saying the team's perfect, or there aren't moves to be made. But any rational look at Kenny's 2010-building has to consider what he did this year.

WhiteSoxOnly
09-27-2009, 11:36 PM
I didn't like all of Hudson's walks today, but I did like the way he handled himself in the jams. He didn't get rattled and he didn't allow the game to get away from him. He got out of a couple tight spots and minimized the damage after he walked the bases loaded in the sixth. Good poise. Congratulations to him on his first big-league victory.

While the Sox had a poor homestand overall, Quentin was a bright spot. Carlos rediscovered today that there are plenty of base hits in right center field. That's the swing I want to see from him more often. Hopefully, he can take some positives with him into the offseason because he is a huge key if the Sox hope to change their fortunes in 2010.

No doubt.We need him in a big way next year.If the middle of the
lineup doesn't step it up we're going to struggle again and TCQ needs
to realize that he must use the whole field to get back to where he
was prior to losing his one-on-one with his bat last year.That pull
all kind of thinking will ensure another sub .250 season.But before
all that,dude needs to get healthy again.I don't know if he's going to
get surgery or not but he hasn't played at 100 % for a long time.

KMcMahon817
09-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Any fan who doesn't buy tickets because they think Kenny is "sitting out" is an idiot. Kenny made huge moves for the future DURING this season. If he added Peavy and Rios in November, people would go crazy with the amazing offseason he'd had. Doing it a few months earlier doesn't somehow mean it didn't happen.

And, no, I'm not saying the team's perfect, or there aren't moves to be made. But any rational look at Kenny's 2010-building has to consider what he did this year.

Agreed.

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2009, 01:41 AM
Good job Daniel on your first win. Hopefully you'll get a lot more here. I am somewhat concerned about is that he brings the ball too-far away from his body when he's about to pitch. The pitch comes at an angle, which makes the ball move away from right handed hitters. The walks are the only problem that I see though. He showed good poise though. He needs to be considered for the 5th starter spot next season. It's absurd how bad we've been, despite how good our starting pitching has been this year.

And for the last time this season...
kM7C_yNlCLU

guillensdisciple
09-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Good job Daniel on your first win. Hopefully you'll get a lot more here. I am somewhat concerned about is that he brings the ball too-far away from his body when he's about to pitch. The pitch comes at an angle, which makes the ball move away from right handed hitters. The walks are the only problem that I see though. He showed good poise though. He needs to be considered for the 5th starter spot next season. It's absurd how bad we've been, despite how good our starting pitching has been this year.

And for the last time this season...
kM7C_yNlCLU

How sweet it was to hear this one more time.

Thank you!

I can't wait to hear that again next year.

:whiner::whiner::whiner:
I want a fresh start White Sox!!

soxfan22
09-28-2009, 03:23 AM
Congrats to Daniel Hudson on getting his first major league win today. Sox win, Sox win! :bandance:
I'll echo this comment. Nice one!! :)

Lip Man 1
09-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Anewman:

For what it's worth a member of the front office told me that he and the Sox have a "tough job" (direct quote) ahead of them this off season getting folks to buy tickets.

My point is that for right or wrong, interest has to be created in the off season especially when the team has had a bad year in 2 of the last 3 seasons, if you want fans to plunk down their money.

Many fans have short memories. Getting Jake Peavy is July doesn't register in December. Signing say Chone Figgins, or making a deal or two does. That's reality.

Lip

dickallen15
09-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Anewman:

For what it's worth a member of the front office told me that he and the Sox have a "tough job" (direct quote) ahead of them this off season getting folks to buy tickets.

My point is that for right or wrong, interest has to be created in the off season especially when the team has had a bad year in 2 of the last 3 seasons, if you want fans to plunk down their money.

Many fans have short memories. Getting Jake Peavy is July doesn't register in December. Signing say Chone Figgins, or making a deal or two does. That's reality.

Lip

If the Sox fell a little short but built up some excitement after the Peavy and Rios acquisitions and if they were close enough that most season ticketholders gave them playoff money, it would definitely be a lot easier. They could probably get away with increasing prices yet again. But last year's increase in ticket price, decrease in payroll and sub .500 record is problematic. I don't want the Sox to sign Figgins, I think it would be a contract they would regret, but I do agree they have to make a splash. A rather quiet offseason won't do much to spur new ticket sales and renewals.

kaufsox
09-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Anewman:

Lip

Lip, I think you're right and I think that is part of the reason this year was down, in part anyway. There wasn't any move that got the more casual fan excited coming into the season, no deal that brought the Sox to the attention of fans during the off-season. It is exciting that Peavy is here (and to a limited extent Rios) it is old news at this point. The core fans, like the folks here, those that attend Soxfest, are already excited for next year. But, to borrow a campaigning term, in order to get more people into the tent something else needs to happen.

JB98
09-28-2009, 03:07 PM
I think making the right move(s) is more important than making a big splash. Chances are attendance isn't going to be that great before Memorial Day anyway. We've seen that through the years with the Sox. The weather sucks in April, and the kids are still in school, etc.

If the Sox get off to good start and look like they are going to be in the hunt, attendance and interest in the team will pick up in June. That's historically been the case.

I don't subscribe to the theory that Chone Figgins is going to put butts in seats. First of all, I don't think Figgins is the player we need. Second of all, the Sox need to win in order to draw, regardless of who is on the roster. This isn't Cubbieland, so I don't think we need a big splash free agent to get the teeming masses excited. However, I do think we need a winning team. This **** they put out on the field this year just didn't cut it.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2009, 04:07 PM
JB:

No one, at least not me, is saying you have a have a "big splash" but if the biggest off season moves Kenny makes again are adding stiffs like "Corky" Miller and Wilson Betemit, they'll be lucky to sell any tickets. LOL

Seriously, they need to make moves to sell tickets period. This has nothing to do with April attendance, this has everything to do with season tickets and individual game tickets being sold for the season itself, not a specific time period. You have to generate a buzz to do that when you've stunk up the place in two of the past three years.

Plus if you have any hope of retaining some of the advertisers who may be leaving (don't know how many in fact...) you have to give them a reason to think twice before doing so.

Doing nothing or adding more Brent Lillibridge's for example won't help in that specific area either.

It's not a question of Figgins specifically putting fans in the seats, it's all part of a thought process among fans that 'hey they're trying to improve the product. We've been reading a lot about the Sox this off season...something's going on.' It's an overall impression of optimism, buzz and interest.

Lip

JermaineDye05
09-28-2009, 04:16 PM
JB:

No one, at least not me, is saying you have a have a "big splash" but if the biggest off season moves Kenny makes again are adding stiffs like "Corky" Miller and Wilson Betemit, they'll be lucky to sell any tickets. LOL

Seriously, they need to make moves to sell tickets period. This has nothing to do with April attendance, this has everything to do with season tickets and individual game tickets being sold for the season itself, not a specific time period. You have to generate a buzz to do that when you've stunk up the place in two of the past three years.

Plus if you have any hope of retaining some of the advertisers who may be leaving (don't know how many in fact...) you have to give them a reason to think twice before doing so.

Doing nothing or adding more Brent Lillibridge's for example won't help in that specific area either.

It's not a question of Figgins specifically putting fans in the seats, it's all part of a thought process among fans that 'hey they're trying to improve the product. We've been reading a lot about the Sox this off season...something's going on.' It's an overall impression of optimism, buzz and interest.

Lip

I thought the Sox showed fans they were trying to improve the product when they got Jake Peavy and Alex Rios.

Now Rios has been struggling since he got here, I think most people have enough confidence that he won't be this bad next year. He probably won't hit around .300 but he sure will be an upgrade from the all defense no offense stiffs we've ran out there the last couple of years.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2009, 06:49 PM
JD:

As I said earlier in the thread July is a long way from December and fans have short memories.

Lip