PDA

View Full Version : Reconstructing the White Sox

soxyess
09-27-2009, 12:22 PM
After a dissappointing 2009 season I know all of us here want to see a different style of baseball on the south side next season. I feel we are in a great position contract wise to restructure this team. There are very few long term contracts for our position players, and we have plenty of quality trading chips at both the major league and minor league level. The following represents my approach to the 2010 season's roster. Please provide any of your ideas, or critique mine (wont be hard).

Philosophy: There is no question with one of the deepest, and better starting rotations in baseball, the 2010 White Sox need an emphasis on defense, pitching, OBP, and smart base running. Many of our losses this year were due to poor defense, and absolutely horrible base running. Our bullpen needs to be stronger. Too many quality starts wasted with bad bullpen performance.

Current Players (non- free agents) that will likely be moved:

Jenks- Arbitration year, and his performance has been less than steller. He will be dealt, as there are many closer starved teams, and I feel that he will bring a nice return ( good prospects). Thornton new closer.
Linebrink- I know his contract may prohibit a trade, but he is a better National League pitcher than an American League pitcher. I can see a move back to the NL with a marginal return.
Konerko- I have been taken to task here for even suggesting that fan favorite PK be traded. I know he has a no-trade clause, but so did Thome. PK's contract only has one more year on it. I believe its for 12mil? He has had a pretty good year at the plate, and has played a solid first base, but his type of game is not conducive to the WS new look. PK, because of his one year deal, will be attractive to many teams looking for a bat and good defensive first base play. His salary could be better used elseware.

Free Agents that will not return:

Dye- His bat speed is slowing down dramatically, and he is a defensive liability. That will not improve with age.

Pods- He has had a good year, and I know many here would like to see him back, but you have to ask yourself are we a playoff team in 2010 with pods playing LF or CF? The answer is no. If Pods were a quality defender than I would like him back as a bench player. That, however, is not the case. He is a liability defensively, and im concerned that given his injury history and his age it would be risky to count on him for 2010. In addition, his horrible base running blunders have cost us many games in 2009.
Dotel- No need to explain this one.

Possible free agent targets:

I know KW does not like the current crop of free agents, and rightfully so. There is a lot of garbage, but I think he may surprise with a move or two. I like the following:
DH- Hideki Matsui- I Know his age (36) is high, but I still think that he would be a nice fit here. Great OBP (.374) Nice OPS (.898) and the ability to hit 20-25hrs a year, and doesnt GIDP. He is a left handed bat, and an outstanding situational hitter. He hits .312 with runners on base. Im dont think the Yanks will retain him. He is a quality guy with a nice veteran presence. He will probably command 7-10mil for 1-2 yrs.

Possible trade targets-

Carl Crawford- A long shot, but KW thinks big. He will inquire about him, and see if it is possible.

B.J. Upton- He has had a bad year at the plate, but he has tremendous upside and could be had for a lot less than Crawford. The rays want to move him because they have a ton of outfield prospects. He is a tremendous defensive CF and has blazing speed. He will hit closer to his average of .266 .351 .759. In 2007 he hit .300 .386 .894 with 24 hr's and 82 rbi. I can see him as a .270-.280 hitter with .350 obp, and 15-20 hr's per year. The best is he is only 25.

Brian Roberts- Another bit of a long shot, but unlike a couple of years ago everything is quiet in Brian Roberts land, and this is when Kenny strikes. Roberts is an older player on a young team that has quite a bit of young talent, but it is not close to contending for that division. Keep an eye on this.

Bullpen:

Look for KW to bring in a mix of younger players and some rehab projects. I dont think that he will spend for relief pitching. He might throw some money at a setup guy so long as it is resonable.

LITTLE NELL
09-27-2009, 12:55 PM
I agree with everything you posted except BJ Upton,living in Florida I watch a lot of Rays games and he is one guy I don't want to see on the Sox. He's had issues with lack of hustle, he swings at a lot of bad pitches and to me his attitude needs an adjustment.
Would take Crawford in a heartbeat.

cornball
09-27-2009, 01:23 PM
After a dissappointing 2009 season I know all of us here want to see a different style of baseball on the south side next season. I feel we are in a great position contract wise to restructure this team. There are very few long term contracts for our position players, and we have plenty of quality trading chips at both the major league and minor league level. The following represents my approach to the 2010 season's roster. Please provide any of your ideas, or critique mine (wont be hard).

Philosophy: There is no question with one of the deepest, and better starting rotations in baseball, the 2010 White Sox need an emphasis on defense, pitching, OBP, and smart base running. Many of our losses this year were due to poor defense, and absolutely horrible base running. Our bullpen needs to be stronger. Too many quality starts wasted with bad bullpen performance.

Jenks- Arbitration year, and his performance has been less than steller. He will be dealt, as there are many closer starved teams, and I feel that he will bring a nice return ( good prospects). Thornton new closer.
Linebrink- I know his contract may prohibit a trade, but he is a better National League pitcher than an American League pitcher. I can see a move back to the NL with a marginal return.
Konerko- I have been taken to task here for even suggesting that fan favorite PK be traded. I know he has a no-trade clause, but so did Thome. PK's contract only has one more year on it. I believe its for 12mil? He has had a pretty good year at the plate, and has played a solid first base, but his type of game is not conducive to the WS new look. PK, because of his one year deal, will be attractive to many teams looking for a bat and good defensive first base play. His salary could be better used elseware.

Dye- His bat speed is slowing down dramatically, and he is a defensive liability. That will not improve with age.

Pods- He has had a good year, and I know many here would like to see him back, but you have to ask yourself are we a playoff team in 2010 with pods playing LF or CF? The answer is no. If Pods were a quality defender than I would like him back as a bench player. That, however, is not the case. He is a liability defensively, and im concerned that given his injury history and his age it would be risky to count on him for 2010. In addition, his horrible base running blunders have cost us many games in 2009.

I know KW does not like the current crop of free agents, and rightfully so. There is a lot of garbage, but I think he may surprise with a move or two. I like the following:
DH- Hideki Matsui- I Know his age (36) is high, but I still think that he would be a nice fit here. Great OBP (.374) Nice OPS (.898) and the ability to hit 20-25hrs a year, and doesnt GIDP. He is a left handed bat, and an outstanding situational hitter. He hits .312 with runners on base. Im dont think the Yanks will retain him. He is a quality guy with a nice veteran presence. He will probably command 7-10mil for 1-2 yrs.

Possible trade targets-

Carl Crawford- A long shot, but KW thinks big. He will inquire about him, and see if it is possible.

B.J. Upton- He has had a bad year at the plate, but he has tremendous upside and could be had for a lot less than Crawford. The rays want to move him because they have a ton of outfield prospects. He is a tremendous defensive CF and has blazing speed. He will hit closer to his average of .266 .351 .759. In 2007 he hit .300 .386 .894 with 24 hr's and 82 rbi. I can see him as a .270-.280 hitter with .350 obp, and 15-20 hr's per year. The best is he is only 25.

Brian Roberts- Another bit of a long shot, but unlike a couple of years ago everything is quiet in Brian Roberts land, and this is when Kenny strikes. Roberts is an older player on a young team that has quite a bit of young talent, but it is not close to contending for that division. Keep an eye on this.

Bullpen:

Look for KW to bring in a mix of younger players and some rehab projects. I dont think that he will spend for relief pitching. He might throw some money at a setup guy so long as it is resonable.

I think your 2010 philosophy and targets to be traded are right on, from my prospective. I would nice to trade PK and Linebrink if possible. PK seems to be a fit for the Giants and would ease the transition a year earlier. A first baseman replacement would need to be solid with the glove. Linebrink will be tough trade due to his contract. Jenks, you keep unless serious value is coming back.

It would seem the bullpen will be better next year with a better 4th and 5 starter (Garcia)than the 2009 version of the Sox. Hudson to the pen to work on a third pitch in 2010.

It seems to me an outfielder has to be aquired by trade. Abreu would be a great fit at DH.

I wouldn't expect the team on opening day to be the team on the field at the All Star break. In other words, there will be positions with question marks to start the season and modified over the course of the year. Kenny is in good position with many options.

soxfanreggie
09-27-2009, 02:23 PM
I see you have us losing 5 people, including a few of our biggest bats (even if some didn't perform as such this year). Who besides Matsui do you see us adding to the line-up? What bullpen guys do you expect us to add to replace Jenks and Linebrink? Do you expect us to keep Dotel? Who do you expect (realistically) to lead off for us next year? If you're getting rid of Pods but not adding a good option there, you're setting up next year to be much worse. What prospects are you giving up to try and get those two starting OFers?

I doubt we have greater than a 5% shot to get Crawford or Roberts, but KW, surprise me?

russ99
09-27-2009, 04:45 PM

Funny you should mention him. After getting Peavy and Rios, Roberts immediately lept to mind as the next guy Kenny could really go after.

Makes more sense than overpaying Figgins, and since he's due $10M a season the next 3 years, the O's may be more inclined to deal him if the package was right.

My only issue is who would we deal to get him? Our top-level prospects are a bit on the down side with position players with the big club and pitchers in the Peavy deal.

I'd think McPhail were in a talking mood with Kenny, the conversation would probably start with Getz and Jordan Danks.

BTW - I'm all for signing Pods regardless if we get another leadoff guy or not.

SCCWS
09-27-2009, 07:21 PM
I think you need to come up w a better option for closer. If Jenks goes, Thornton would be a big risk. He has a 3.50 era against right handers who are also hitting .280( higher after a bad outing today) against him. He is lights out against lefties and mediocre at best against righties.

Trading for a "top" level closer is going to take a hit ( Danks or Hudson + prospect) somewhere else. Maybe take a run at Billy Wagner who may demand a little less.

doublem23
09-27-2009, 08:01 PM
People give Rios a hard time for not trying and you want to acquire BJ Upton? ****, he sucks.

PK's not getting moved. Just deal with this. Honestly this is starting to border on trolling as you're only posting this to insight a reaction out of people.

soxfanreggie
09-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Honestly this is starting to border on trolling as you're only posting this to insight a reaction out of people.

Huh?

KMcMahon817
09-27-2009, 10:24 PM
I think you need to come up w a better option for closer. If Jenks goes, Thornton would be a big risk. He has a 3.50 era against right handers who are also hitting .280( higher after a bad outing today) against him. He is lights out against lefties and mediocre at best against righties.

Trading for a "top" level closer is going to take a hit ( Danks or Hudson + prospect) somewhere else. Maybe take a run at Billy Wagner who may demand a little less.

I just really think getting rid of Jenks this offseason would be a mistake. Sure, Thornton could probably fill in admirably as closer, but then who is the 8th inning guy? Pena, Linebrink? Please. Trading Jenks this offseason would be selling low, and plus, I do not think he will get quite the raise that some on this board seem to think he will. If, however, he does get the 7.5 or 8 million through arbitration, still the only way I think the Sox should trade him would be if they plan on signing a very reliable arm or two for the bullpen. Hold onto Bobby for one more year, it's really just not worth it right now.

soxyess
09-27-2009, 10:27 PM
People give Rios a hard time for not trying and you want to acquire BJ Upton? ****, he sucks.

PK's not getting moved. Just deal with this. Honestly this is starting to border on trolling as you're only posting this to insight a reaction out of people.

Im not trolling. Are you that sensitive to the reality that PK may be moved? It seems that there are people here that are more concerned with retaining their favorite player than looking at the reality of a changing roster philosophy. Im not trying to insight a reaction. Im trying to engage a discussion about the 2010 roster. I like PK, and he has done a ton for this organization, but GM's lose jobs over getting attached to a player for too long. PK has had a good year. You move him when he has value.

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2009, 10:27 PM
I think the Sox need to keep Jenks, and also add another reliever who is good enough to close when needed. I support using both Jenks and Thornton to close out games next year.

However, KW and OG need to impress upon Jenks to improve his conditioning.

The only way I'd trade Jenks right now is if he can be part of a package to bring back Carl Crawford.

soxyess
09-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I just really think getting rid of Jenks this offseason would be a mistake. Sure, Thornton could probably fill in admirably as closer, but then who is the 8th inning guy? Pena, Linebrink? Please. Trading Jenks this offseason would be selling low, and plus, I do not think he will get quite the raise that some on this board seem to think he will. If, however, he does get the 7.5 or 8 million through arbitration, still the only way I think the Sox should trade him would be if they plan on signing a very reliable arm or two for the bullpen. Hold onto Bobby for one more year, it's really just not worth it right now.

I can see your position. I just dont want to tie up 7-8mil in Jenks.

doublem23
09-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Im not trolling. Are you that sensitive to the reality that PK may be moved? It seems that there are people here that are more concerned with retaining their favorite player than looking at the reality of a changing roster philosophy. Im not trying to insight a reaction. Im trying to engage a discussion about the 2010 roster. I like PK, and he has done a ton for this organization, but GM's lose jobs over getting attached to a player for too long. PK has had a good year. You move him when he has value.

I'm absolutely not, but there is a difference between saying "I think the Sox should move PK" and "The Sox will move PK." You need to stop pretending like your opinion is fact.

Daver
09-27-2009, 11:24 PM
You need to stop pretending like your opinion is fact.

You have to admit, it occasionally borders on hysterical.

Tragg
09-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Let Dye, Dotel, Linebrink (dreaming), and Podsednik all walk.
An athletic right fielder is the most important move of the off-season.

I have a feeling the Sox are going Status Quo on the infield, but if not, move Beckham to 2nd, trade Getz, get a 3B.

Zisk77
09-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Konerko has full no trade and a 12mil final year. The teams that he would probably accept a trade to do not need him including SF. SF has Garko who is a younger cheaper version anyway.

We are not getting Roberts as he just signed a big extension with Balt.

No way the Rays trade Upton.

Crawford is a possibility for trade but it will cost a lot and then you would have to sign him to a big extension or lose him to FA.

Matsui is a possibility but I rather him play OF and DH tCQ to keep him healthy.

I would only trade Jenks in a Crawford deal.

I am leaning to re-sign Pods and go after Abreu. While I think Figgins is better than Pods he is not 8 mil better. If we do not have money for both , get Abreu.

Good luck dealing Linebrink (could Kenny pull off a linebrink + bunch of good prospects for Carlos Beltran & $ in return?). If so, Rios RF then Figgins in LF.

oeo
09-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Konerko has full no trade and a 12mil final year. The teams that he would probably accept a trade to do not need him including SF. SF has Garko who is a younger cheaper version anyway.

Hmmm...:scratch: Not quite.

Hitmen77
09-28-2009, 09:47 AM

That's a lot of turnover. The Sox will get rid of Dye, Podsednik, AND Konerko? That means that 1/3 of our starting lineup needs to be replaced. I doubt the Sox have the money or tradeable talent to fill that many holes. With Thome gone and Dye most likely gone, I don't see the Sox dumping Konerko too.

As far as Podsednik goes, I think it's a huge risk to bring him back as a starter next year. I certainly don't think it's ideal to bring him back as a starter. But I think it's likely that he will return because the Sox will only have the resources to fill one huge hole in the lineup (Dye's).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jenks go. That might be a good thing depending on who the Sox get in return and it also would free up maybe about $7 million in payroll. But, that would leave an already questionable bullpen with even more question marks. Dotel is almost certain to be gone. I don't think Linebrink is going anywhere with $10.5 million still owed him on his contract. Pena has been very unimpressive....So, the only relievers from this year returning would be Thornton, Linebrink, Pena, Williams, and Carrasco. That's pretty bad once you get past Thornton and Carrasco. Maybe if Garcia wins the 5th starter spot, Hudson will be effective in the bullpen next year in long relief while he's waiting in the wings to become a starter.

voodoochile
09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Here's what you do:

Sign or trade for a power hitting OF: Bay would be top of the list, but he's going to be WAY to expensive. I'd still love to see Dunn here but he'd primarily be a DH though he can play RF and 1B so he could rotate to keep people fresh. If you get Dunn, you move TCQ to RF and stick Pods in LF full time for the most part.

Re-sign Kotsay and Pods.

Sign an arm for the bullpen.

Start the season.

Done and Done...

Hitmen77
09-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Here's what you do:

Sign or trade for a power hitting OF: Bay would be top of the list, but he's going to be WAY to expensive. I'd still love to see Dunn here but he'd primarily be a DH though he can play RF and 1B so he could rotate to keep people fresh. If you get Dunn, you move TCQ to RF and stick Pods in LF full time for the most part.

Re-sign Kotsay and Pods.

Start the season.

Done and Done...

Would you trade Jenks or keep him for 2010?

voodoochile
09-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Would you trade Jenks or keep him for 2010?

Probably keep him. If he loses it as a closer he'd still be a decent setup man. I mean relievers who go into 50+ games and only relinquish the lead 7 times or whatever are worth something.

If they lose him they are going to have to resign Dotel or something. Maybe Dotel for $3-5M is worth more than Bobby at $5-7. I don't know.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see Bobby more willing to discuss a multi-year deal after the struggles he had with kidney stones this past season. I assume he'd want to lock up his future and not take a chance (same for TCQ and Danks) that might lead to lower initial contracts this season than they would get via arbitration as they take a slight discount for security.

khan
09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Here's what you do:

Re-sign Kotsay and Pods.

Start the season.

Done and Done...
I think the bolded part is one of KW's biggest issues. Whether or not you believe in the "get more speed guys" theory, this team still needs to have power hitters to be able to compete. Even minnesota, with all their grindy, speedy players has 3 30+ HR guys, and one more 25+ HR guy.

Without Dye in the mix for 2010, there are only PK as a probable 30+ HR guy, and TCQ as a "possible" 30+ HR guy. This team would then be rather underpowered for the AL.

The other issue [as with virtually ALL MLB teams in virtually every offseason] is to upgrade the bullpen.

voodoochile
09-28-2009, 12:07 PM
I think the bolded part is one of KW's biggest issues. Whether or not you believe in the "get more speed guys" theory, this team still needs to have power hitters to be able to compete. Even minnesota, with all their grindy, speedy players has 3 30+ HR guys, and one more 25+ HR guy.

Without Dye in the mix for 2010, there are only PK as a probable 30+ HR guy, and TCQ as a "possible" 30+ HR guy. This team would then be rather underpowered for the AL.

The other issue [as with virtually ALL MLB teams in virtually every offseason] is to upgrade the bullpen.

I think TCQ can be counted on as a power bat. Even this year with a down average, he's on pace to hit 30+ HR over the course of a full season. He's down on doubles which is why his slg isn't that good.

khan
09-28-2009, 12:27 PM
I think TCQ can be counted on as a power bat. Even this year with a down average, he's on pace to hit 30+ HR over the course of a full season. He's down on doubles which is why his slg isn't that good.

We all HOPE for a healthy, productive season from TCQ. But he's NEVER done it. He's NEVER put in a full, HEALTHY season.

This is why I look at TCQ as a "possible" 30+ HR/.850+ OPS-type guy. I simply cannot look at him as a "probable" 30+ HR/.850+ OPS-type guy until he has a regular track record of health and production that supports this.

But in either case, this team's offensive downfall wasn't the top or the bottom of the order, once Pods and Beckham were included in the lineup. It was the failure of the 3-4-5 guys in the lineup that made this offense suck ass. It was a dramatic lack of consistency that kept this team from ever going on the run that we thought it should: TCQ was bad early, and injured in June. Dye was good early, but craptacular late. PK hit .247 after the ASB. Thome and PK hit < .250 in August.

In sum, I don't know where this idea that the primary issue with the offense is in improving the top/bottom of the order. IMO, it CLEARLY is the heart of the order moreso than anything else. [EDIT] Even if you assume that TCQ can be counted upon to provide 30+HR/.850+ OPS next season, that STILL puts the SOX behind minnesota, Detroit, and Cleveland in terms of likely production for 2010. In turn, this could end up wasting what looks like it could be a really good starting rotation.

voodoochile
09-28-2009, 12:56 PM
We all HOPE for a healthy, productive season from TCQ. But he's NEVER done it. He's NEVER put in a full, HEALTHY season.

This is why I look at TCQ as a "possible" 30+ HR/.850+ OPS-type guy. I simply cannot look at him as a "probable" 30+ HR/.850+ OPS-type guy until he has a regular track record of health and production that supports this.

But in either case, this team's offensive downfall wasn't the top or the bottom of the order, once Pods and Beckham were included in the lineup. It was the failure of the 3-4-5 guys in the lineup that made this offense suck ass. It was a dramatic lack of consistency that kept this team from ever going on the run that we thought it should: TCQ was bad early, and injured in June. Dye was good early, but craptacular late. PK hit .247 after the ASB. Thome and PK hit < .250 in August.

In sum, I don't know where this idea that the primary issue with the offense is in improving the top/bottom of the order. IMO, it CLEARLY is the heart of the order moreso than anything else. [EDIT] Even if you assume that TCQ can be counted upon to provide 30+HR/.850+ OPS next season, that STILL puts the SOX behind minnesota, Detroit, and Cleveland in terms of likely production for 2010. In turn, this could end up wasting what looks like it could be a really good starting rotation.

I agree I was merely pointing out that TCQ should be good for 30+ HR if he can stay healthy.

Zisk77
09-28-2009, 01:15 PM

Which is why i would move tCQ to Dh...to keep him healthy.

Not a Fan of Adam Dunn coming here. You could bring Big Jim back for much cheaper if you want to go that route.

I agree Bay is prolly too expensive and Holliday is out of the question.

Matsui and Abreu would be possibilities as well as trade.

voodoochile
09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Which is why i would move tCQ to Dh...to keep him healthy.

Not a Fan of Adam Dunn coming here. You could bring Big Jim back for much cheaper if you want to go that route.

I agree Bay is prolly too expensive and Holliday is out of the question.

Matsui and Abreu would be possibilities as well as trade.

Dunn can still play the field so he'd offer more flexibility. In addition, it's only a one year contract and they might be able get the Nats to eat a bit of the money for the right package.

Zisk77
09-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Dunn can still play the field so he'd offer more flexibility. In addition, it's only a one year contract and they might be able get the Nats to eat a bit of the money for the right package.

True he can play the field, but not particularly well. Personally, i rather sacrifice a little power for a guy like Matsui or Abreu who are better hitters that do not K a lot. To be fair Abreu is a bad OF too. I think the biggest problem with our line-up is the strikeouts.

Dunn would be a good call if we just needed a DH and needed a left handed bat. Just my opinion, anyway.

Sargeant79
09-28-2009, 02:18 PM

That's debatable.

Madscout
09-28-2009, 02:58 PM

Possible trade targets-

Bullpen:

I think your 2010 philosophy and targets to be traded are right on, from my prospective. I would nice to trade PK and Linebrink if possible. PK seems to be a fit for the Giants and would ease the transition a year earlier. A first baseman replacement would need to be solid with the glove. Linebrink will be tough trade due to his contract. Jenks, you keep unless serious value is coming back.

It would seem the bullpen will be better next year with a better 4th and 5 starter (Garcia)than the 2009 version of the Sox. Hudson to the pen to work on a third pitch in 2010.

It seems to me an outfielder has to be aquired by trade. Abreu would be a great fit at DH.

I wouldn't expect the team on opening day to be the team on the field at the All Star break. In other words, there will be positions with question marks to start the season and modified over the course of the year. Kenny is in good position with many options.
I agree with you both to some extent, but I wanted to highlight a few things.

First, the bullpen will get better if the defense and starting pitching get better. What killed our bullpen this year was extra outs and long outings with Jose and Bartolo. You can't have a long reliever come out two nights in a row, and expect not to wreck him or ruin the rest of the bullpen. You can't give extra outs period, and that wrecks your arms. If the defense is better and the starting pitching is what we think it is, then the bullpen will improve itself.

On Jenks, I don't think we can let him go so easily, at least without a better option. On the whole, relievers are expensive and that isn't going to change. But the bottom line is that our bullpen is better with Jenks in it than without him.

On Linebrink, ship him. Isn't worth spit and we can get someone to come in and do his job for half what we pay him. He can't locate his fastball and he can't locate his breaking ball. Worthless.

I think that Roberts and Crawford have been long shots for a while, and will stay that way. I don't think you are going to see Roberts because I think KW is happy with Getz or Nix. I do agree with cornball that we need another BA on this team, and that BA should be Bobby Abreu. He has had a fabulous year with the Angels and is signed surprisingly cheap. And if he can be our RF next year, all the better.

Getting rid of PK and JD instantly makes our team faster, but do we have better options? PK is a pretty good defensive 1B, a very good fastball hitter, and a good guy to have in the clubhouse. I don't know if we have someone that can do what he does for us. JD is a different story. Had he finished the year the way he has in the past, then I say keep him and DH him, but this slump he has going makes me question that. All in all, I see him back on the southside, because I think he will sign cheap.

SteveFakeBlood
09-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't know why everyone is making a fuss about power hitting. We're still 6th in the AL in Home runs, granted it's the only time this decade we've been outside of the Top 5- but hitting home runs won't be much of a problem.

I understand that "potential" is different from reality- but TCQ hit 36 homers for us in 2008, if Paulie doesn't hit 30 he will be close, Alexei hit 21 in '08, Rios' career high is 24- he is capable of hitting 30 in a hitters park and give Beckham another 200 plate appearances and he projects to over 20 homers and there's no reason to assume he can't do even better next year.

Someone mentioned trading Jenks for Crawford, which is a pipe dream, but if that's possible I'd go for it.

I've got a feeling that Rios and Peavy were our "big free agent signings for 2010", but as someone pointed out you can't put anything past Kenny.

~Steve

khan
09-28-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't know why everyone is making a fuss about power hitting. We're still 6th in the AL in Home runs, granted it's the only time this decade we've been outside of the Top 5- but hitting home runs won't be much of a problem.
Perhaps. But the SOX are 6th in HR, in a hitters' park, BTW. Oh, and the 6th in HR includes JD's 27 HR, and Thome's 23 HR. Subtract out their totals, and the SOX fall a bit in terms of HR.

This is why I see the replacement of these two players as being more important than a top or bottom of the order player. We already have adequacy at the top and the bottom of the order. I'm not so sure about the 3-4-5 guys.

I understand that "potential" is different from reality- but TCQ hit 36 homers for us in 2008, if Paulie doesn't hit 30 he will be close, Alexei hit 21 in '08, Rios' career high is 24- he is capable of hitting 30 in a hitters park and give Beckham another 200 plate appearances and he projects to over 20 homers and there's no reason to assume he can't do even better next year.
TCQ has also been injured in each and every one of his professional seasons. I'd like to see him play in 140 games in a season before we take his production for granted. Agreed about PK.

For the rest, bear in mind that the other teams in the division and in the AL have more proven producers than this team. That is, more 30+ HR type guys, and more 20+ HR type guys than this team.

palehozenychicty
09-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Perhaps. But the SOX are 6th in HR, in a hitters' park, BTW. Oh, and the 6th in HR includes JD's 27 HR, and Thome's 23 HR. Subtract out their totals, and the SOX fall a bit in terms of HR.

This is why I see the replacement of these two players as being more important than a top or bottom of the order player. We already have adequacy at the top and the bottom of the order. I'm not so sure about the 3-4-5 guys.

TCQ has also been injured in each and every one of his professional seasons. I'd like to see him play in 140 games in a season before we take his production for granted. Agreed about PK.

For the rest, bear in mind that the other teams in the division and in the AL have more proven producers than this team. That is, more 30+ HR type guys, and more 20+ HR type guys than this team.

Indeed. You just can't rely on him as a focal piece of your offense. I think that as mentioned, we need another strong bat in the outfield that can field well. Abreu is a solid hitter and baserunner, but his defense is pitiful.

I think we should give Jenks another year unless someone gives us a great package. The guy is a competitor and been solid for a few years now. I don't think he'll gouge us in arbitration.

I'd see what you can get for Paulie. He's been a great player for us, but still has his moments of deep inconsistency.

Of course, we can bring in a bunch of arms and see who gets the bullpen jobs in the end. I'd rather not pay a guy a rich deal and fall off, like Linebrink. If a loser like Milton Bradley can move around, I think somebody may gamble on him, despite the contract.

I'd also would not rule out trading Getz to slide everyone on the diamond. Alexei was a much better second baseman. He really needs to become more consistent.

ike from nj
09-28-2009, 04:35 PM
I agree with you both to some extent, but I wanted to highlight a few things.

First, the bullpen will get better if the defense and starting pitching get better. What killed our bullpen this year was extra outs and long outings with Jose and Bartolo. You can't have a long reliever come out two nights in a row, and expect not to wreck him or ruin the rest of the bullpen. You can't give extra outs period, and that wrecks your arms. If the defense is better and the starting pitching is what we think it is, then the bullpen will improve itself.

On Jenks, I don't think we can let him go so easily, at least without a better option. On the whole, relievers are expensive and that isn't going to change. But the bottom line is that our bullpen is better with Jenks in it than without him.

On Linebrink, ship him. Isn't worth spit and we can get someone to come in and do his job for half what we pay him. He can't locate his fastball and he can't locate his breaking ball. Worthless.

I think that Roberts and Crawford have been long shots for a while, and will stay that way. I don't think you are going to see Roberts because I think KW is happy with Getz or Nix. I do agree with cornball that we need another BA on this team, and that BA should be Bobby Abreu. He has had a fabulous year with the Angels and is signed surprisingly cheap. And if he can be our RF next year, all the better.

Getting rid of PK and JD instantly makes our team faster, but do we have better options? PK is a pretty good defensive 1B, a very good fastball hitter, and a good guy to have in the clubhouse. I don't know if we have someone that can do what he does for us. JD is a different story. Had he finished the year the way he has in the past, then I say keep him and DH him, but this slump he has going makes me question that. All in all, I see him back on the southside, because I think he will sign cheap.

shoddy defense was not the reason the bullpen failed this year. dotel, linebrink, jenks et al were poor on their own merits. too many pitches left over the heart of the plate.

wassagstdu
09-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Pods- He has had a good year, and I know many here would like to see him back, but you have to ask yourself are we a playoff team in 2010 with pods playing LF or CF? The answer is no.

Right, the Sox could never win with Pods in LF. No, wait... Don't tell me he is not the same player he was in 2005, he is better. And he seems to have gained control of his injury problem. I just do not understand the hostility on this site toward the player who was arguably the team mvp in 2005 and 2009.

MisterB
09-28-2009, 06:10 PM
I think the biggest problem with our line-up is the strikeouts.

The Sox have the fourth fewest strikeouts in the AL.

I think the bigger issue is that they're dead last in hits and their situational hitting is horrible.

Bob G
09-28-2009, 06:45 PM
A lot will depend on what kind of budget KW has to work with. My guess is he'll probably stay away from any big FA signings and focus more on medium sized deals that don't break the bank.

I believe Pods will return and play LF and DH some. PK will also be back but not sure about TCQ - he could be moved if the situation is right. With JD most likely gone there will be a hole in RF. I like Kotsay as he gives us a lot of flexibility so hopefully he'll return. I don't expect a lot of changes with the infield although TCM was disappointing at SS but I think he'll get another chance. I also like Getz - he'll only get better with more experience.

The bullpen will need some work (as usual) but it's possible our young guys like Hudson and Torres can help if KW can't find anyone else.

doublem23
09-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Well that is still a drop off since we've been one of the top HR hitting teams in the AL for at least the last 4-5 years. Plus, even with being in the middle of the pack in HR, we're still 11th in the AL in slugging. I know US Cellular Field isn't tailored for a lot of XBH, but we still don't seem to have much gap power in any park. It's either over the fence or a weak pop up with us, it seems. :dunno:

Tragg
09-28-2009, 07:54 PM
If you get Dunn, you move TCQ to RF and stick Pods in LF full time for the most part.

Re-sign Kotsay and Pods.

But that won't cure any weaknesses- it basically presents the same stodgy team we had this year with little speed and poor defense. Pods and Quentin manning corner outfield spots is scary.

Williams needs to find a young athletic right fielder. And not an Ozzie oufielder in the lineage of Erstad, Wise and Owens - we need to find a legitimate young oufielder.

I think we milked all we can out of Pods- an obp below .350 and Pods is a liability. His base-running isn't good and his defense is poor. He's not a goo bench player. Beckham or Getz can lead off.

doublem23
09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
I think we milked all we can out of Pods- an obp below .350 and Pods is a liability. His base-running isn't good and his defense is poor. He's not a goo bench player. Beckham or Getz can lead off.

Getz can't and you're wasting Beckham by leading him off. Both, BTW, have OBPs lower than Pods.

Tragg
09-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Getz can't and you're wasting Beckham by leading him off. Both, BTW, have OBPs lower than Pods.
I don't think it's wasting him.
Yes - this year he has a better obp (and absolutely nothing else). But will he have that OBP next year? If he doesn't, he's a negative.
And Guillen can't clown around with Podsenik at dh either - that's not making a serious effort to win. Thome - Podsednik? Thome - Podsednik? Hmmmm - tough choice.
Anyway, my number 1 move is an athletic right fielder.

soxfanreggie
09-29-2009, 08:18 AM
I don't think it's wasting him.

Do you have any stats to prove that Bacon or Getz would be better leading off, or is it just hoping that they would do better than Pods did this year?

GAsoxfan
09-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Williams needs to find a young athletic right fielder. And not an Ozzie oufielder in the lineage of Erstad, Wise and Owens - we need to find a legitimate young oufielder.

I think we can all agree that a young, athletic RF would be a good addition for the Sox. However, that's much easier said than done. Those guys very rarely hit the free agent market, and team's that have them are reluctant to trade them away. Do you have any specific targets in mind, and what would you be willing to give up for a young, athletic RF?

PennStater98r
09-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Here's what you do:

Re-sign Kotsay and Pods.

Start the season.

Done and Done...

Power Hitting outfielder would be great - but if we're going to spend the money on Bay, why not go for Crawford or Figgins. A leadoff hitter with an OBP has always been our big problem - other than Pods - but frankly, I'm not confident that he can keep it up two years in a row as he has yet to put it together two years in a row.

The scary thing with this plan is that we're not sure TCQ comes back at full health nor the impact that his injury will have on him - I thought I heard both Hawk and Farmio talking about how Plantar Fasciitis is an injury that can nag you a long time and that he could also spend more time on the DL for years to come. That means we have two spots in the OF that are questionable as far as expected performance. I feel that we need to address one of the other.

That said, I am quite okay with the Getz/Nix platoon as long as we take care of one of the above. If we don't I think that Figgins is the best fit on this team as he can play both IF and OF positions (though that puts us in an awkward spot for D again).

We need another bullpen piece and be ready to move Jenks out of the closing role if he struggles... That said, I think that KW has to focus on one big signing - Bay, Crawford or Figgins would do imo.

I actually think that Linebrink could come back with a decent year in 2010. He's put in a lot of innings over the years - and could just use a rest. It's hard for me to believe that the best set-up guy in baseball for 4-5 years (with SD) could get so bad and not have something wrong with him. I'm not saying he'll put up SD numbers, but certainly he's better than his 2009 would indicate.

GAsoxfan
09-29-2009, 12:59 PM
The scary thing with this plan is that we're not sure TCQ comes back at full health nor the impact that his injury will have on him - I thought I heard both Hawk and Farmio talking about how Plantar Fasciitis is an injury that can nag you a long time and that he could also spend more time on the DL for years to come. That means we have two spots in the OF that are questionable as far as expected performance. I feel that we need to address one of the other.

I'm not a doctor, but I've had PF before. It took a long time to heal, but once it healed, I haven't had any problems with it. Of course, I'm not playing professional sports, but I'm pretty active. As long as TCQ lets his foot fully recover, I don't think he'll have recurring issues. Like I said though, I'm not a doctor so maybe my case isn't the norm.

I actually think that Linebrink could come back with a decent year in 2010. He's put in a lot of innings over the years - and could just use a rest. It's hard for me to believe that the best set-up guy in baseball for 4-5 years (with SD) could get so bad and not have something wrong with him. I'm not saying he'll put up SD numbers, but certainly he's better than his 2009 would indicate.

I expect Linebrink to have a great 1st half of 2010. That's been his MO for the past five years: great 1st half, terrible 2nd half. If Kenny decides to trade Linebrink, the best time may be in mid-May when he's performing well.

thomas35forever
09-29-2009, 01:25 PM
The players I would definitely move this offseason are Dotel, Linebrink, and Pods. I would only get rid of Pods after getting someone like Figgins because if Pods walks and KW can't find a replacement for him, we'll be right back where we started on that issue. I can see Jenks moving, but don't be surprised to see him back. The only way I see him gone for sure is if the Sox sign or acquire a reliable setup man. Otherwise, he and Thornton will easily split the closer duties next season. Konerko has a NTC, but I think he'll only waive it if the Sox are out of it by next year's trade deadline.

I'd like the Sox to re-sign Kotsay, let Castro walk, and let Flowers learn under AJ for a full season.

Crawford is not coming to the Sox and Roberts will only come if Getz is included in the trade.

A new DH via free agency is a must. I'd like Abreu, Damon, or even Matsui on the team to fill that gap. If Damon signs, then Pods is definitely gone and Damon might play left while Carlos moves to right. If Damon doesn't sign, Pods stays, and one of the other two I mentioned signs, look for they and Carlos to split time in the outfield.

And of course, I hope Figgins is with us next season.

Zisk77
09-29-2009, 01:38 PM
The Sox have the fourth fewest strikeouts in the AL.

I think the bigger issue is that they're dead last in hits and their situational hitting is horrible.

Ok let me re-phrase. Striking out with a runner on 3b and less than 2 out or on 2nd with no one out, etc....so I agree.

hawkjt
09-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Right, the Sox could never win with Pods in LF. No, wait... Don't tell me he is not the same player he was in 2005, he is better. And he seems to have gained control of his injury problem. I just do not understand the hostility on this site toward the player who was arguably the team mvp in 2005 and 2009.

It amazes me how a Sox team that has no lead-off hitter, is horrible in batting average and on base percentage, and wants to steal bases...need to quickly dump their team leader in batting average, on base percentage and base stealer,who also happens to lead off.

Pods- BA- .303 OBA- .353 SB- 29 Errors? - 2 ...as compared to Rios and JD with 5 each.

When Pods was allowed to play leftfield, he might have cost the Sox a couple of catches...maybe. One in Oakland, otherwise?

As has been pointed out, the top and bottom of the order were fine. The Sox need to improve the middle...find more high average hitters like Pods.
Pods played 127 games without missing a single game due to injury...the best record of any of our outfielders on the injury front.

Bottom line- Pods was our best overall position player this year, with AJ..and Pods needs to go? No.

Sign Abreu, find another bullpen righty...re-sign Jenks...keep Freddy for the #5 slot, and have the infield practice fielding all winter, and the Sox will be back on top in the AL Central.

PennStater98r
09-29-2009, 06:05 PM
It amazes me how a Sox team that has no lead-off hitter, is horrible in batting average and on base percentage, and wants to steal bases...need to quickly dump their team leader in batting average, on base percentage and base stealer,who also happens to lead off.

Pods- BA- .303 OBA- .353 SB- 29 Errors? - 2 ...as compared to Rios and JD with 5 each.

When Pods was allowed to play leftfield, he might have cost the Sox a couple of catches...maybe. One in Oakland, otherwise?

As has been pointed out, the top and bottom of the order were fine. The Sox need to improve the middle...find more high average hitters like Pods.
Pods played 127 games without missing a single game due to injury...the best record of any of our outfielders on the injury front.

Bottom line- Pods was our best overall position player this year, with AJ..and Pods needs to go? No.

Sign Abreu, find another bullpen righty...re-sign Jenks...keep Freddy for the #5 slot, and have the infield practice fielding all winter, and the Sox will be back on top in the AL Central.

That's this year. Granted, he was great for the first 3/4 of 2005 and great the entire time in a Sox uniform this year - but he's not shown that he can produce two years in a row. Pod's 2004, 2006-2008 was a brutal and it nearly earned him a job in a broadcasting booth. He was also an 'old' rookie when he came up in 2003 (27). That makes him 34 next year. I greatly appreciate what he did for the Sox this year and in 2005 - but this is a guy that can hit .300 one year and .240 the next...

palehozenychicty
09-29-2009, 06:27 PM
That's this year. Granted, he was great for the first 3/4 of 2005 and great the entire time in a Sox uniform this year - but he's not shown that he can produce two years in a row. Pod's 2004, 2006-2008 was a brutal and it nearly earned him a job in a broadcasting booth. He was also an 'old' rookie when he came up in 2003 (27). That makes him 34 next year. I greatly appreciate what he did for the Sox this year and in 2005 - but this is a guy that can hit .300 one year and .240 the next...

Exactly. There's a reason why he languished in the minors for so long. He has never put together a consistent track record of quality play. If he doesn't cut it next year, people will howl to the moon that signing him was a mistake. You can't have it both ways. He could have another solid season, but do you really believe that, based on his past? I'd bring him back for nothing after exploring the market. That's it.

Tragg
09-29-2009, 06:35 PM
I think we can all agree that a young, athletic RF would be a good addition for the Sox. However, that's much easier said than done. Those guys very rarely hit the free agent market, and team's that have them are reluctant to trade them away. Do you have any specific targets in mind, and what would you be willing to give up for a young, athletic RF?
No, I don't have anyone in mind. Find a prospect from a team with a surplus of outfield prospects. Use our prospects instead of trading them for middle relievers. Trade Getz, if we can find a 3B or 2B as a FA to replace Getz.
There are a lot of ways to do things. But wheeling out the same stodgy team that can't play D might get us to .500 next year.

Do you have any stats to prove that Bacon or Getz would be better leading off, or is it just hoping that they would do better than Pods did this year?
There are no stats that could prove that and I didn't say they would nor is that the question.
I think Pods is more likely than not to have a OBP below .340 next year, and his historical stats support that notion. At such an OBP, he is a liability.
I think overall the Sox would be better off with one of them leading off because it will allow us to improve the defense and to get a quality hitter in here.
And then some have advanced the notion that Pods can take Thome's place - that is beyond ridiculous.

As for "moving" players, there really is no one to move. WE just won't re-sign Dotel or Dye (or a few scrubs like Wise); LInebrink is immovable. Maybe we can fashion trades for a couple of others.

khan
09-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Exactly. There's a reason why he languished in the minors for so long. He has never put together a consistent track record of quality play. If he doesn't cut it next year, people will howl to the moon that signing him was a mistake. You can't have it both ways. He could have another solid season, but do you really believe that, based on his past? I'd bring him back for nothing after exploring the market. That's it.

I think that's exactly what will happen. I think that after realizing that the heart of the order is weak without a productive JD and a productive Thome, KW will have to bring on some pieces at lower prices to fit a power bat into the budget. I think that KW will have to find some BP pieces to support the solid starting rotation, and that costs money. I think that the FA market might be up a bit, as the economy recovers.

I also think that Pods will give somewhat of a hometown discount to come back here. This may enable the SOX to find solutions at other holes. [i.e. 7th/8th inning guys for the BP, a 2nd LHP for the BP, perhaps a closer, DH/RF, backup catcher, and I think the bench kind of sucked this year..]