PDA

View Full Version : Like A Soap Opera!!!

SCCWS
09-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Who was Ozzie ranting about that was watching football in the clubhouse during yesterday's game???

soxfan22
09-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Who was Ozzie ranting about that was watching football in the clubhouse during yesterday's game???

This might shed a little light:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1792970,CST-SPT-sox27.article

The Milkman
09-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Getz.

soltrain21
09-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Getz.

Where does this come from?

Sox
09-27-2009, 02:10 PM
I was going to say I never saw Getz''s name mentioned once in that article.:scratch:

Lip Man 1
09-27-2009, 05:15 PM
I can understand Ozzie getting upset, but why now?

It's meaningless, just like this team and season.

If you're going to have a big league rant like that, do it in June when there still might be a chance that some good comes out of it...better yet a player or two should have had one the way this team played.

Lip

southside rocks
09-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Nick Swisher and a blow-up doll.

JermaineDye05
09-27-2009, 06:41 PM
I can understand Ozzie getting upset, but why now?

It's meaningless, just like this team and season.

If you're going to have a big league rant like that, do it in June when there still might be a chance that some good comes out of it...better yet a player or two should have had one the way this team played.

Lip

We weren't out of contention in June and football season doesn't start in June. I understand the frustration. If you have guys worrying more about football than the game on the field, then that's horrible. Worry more about your own play than about what's going on in football. Totally unprofessional.

I'm not a football fan so I don't get the whole obsession with the sport. However, I'm in Ozzie's corner because regardless of the sport you're in, you should pay attention to the team you play for rather than some team you may be a fan of.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Jermaine:

In June and in May and in July and in August the Sox weren't scoring runs, were leaving a ton of guys on base, were losing games to no-name pitchers with brutal ERA's and apparently didn't care even though they were still "in it" by virture of being in a bad division.

My point is the rant would have been better served when they still had a chance...not disagreeing with Ozzie's justification...just the timing.

Lip

southside rocks
09-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Interestingly, the guys on XM's Power Alley show were talking this morning about Ozzie's outburst regarding the football-watching. Seth Everett and Jim Duquette both think highly of Ozzie, but both of them were not impressed by his rant and think that (a) it's time for OG to clean up his mouth when there are microphones in front of it; and (b) if the manager doesn't want players doing other things in the clubhouse after a loss, why doesn't he make some clubhouse rules to that effect, since he's the manager.

I think that they're right, only because Ozzie's outbursts have been too frequent of late. If there's an occasional rant, that may serve to jab the players in their complacency; if the rants become everyday events, the players -- and the fans -- really do start to ignore not only the rants, but the message behind them.

Being a manager at times is probably a lot like being a parent: no amount of saying will achieve what a single instance of doing will. Ozzie may feel that it's not his natural style, but if he can't learn to adapt his style to different conditions, he won't have the longevity of a Bobby Cox or a Joe Torre.

They played Ozzie's quote about "I don't tell players how to prepare for a game" and they said, logically I thought, "well, maybe he should, since some of his players clearly need that."

Maybe the players aren't the only ones who need to re-think their approaches to the game right about now. And I don't say that to slam Ozzie at all.

whitem0nkey
09-28-2009, 12:39 PM
I like how some of us are taking time from our jobs to come here and rip someone doing the same thing.