PDA

View Full Version : Latest installment of "That's the Nationals"

doublem23
09-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Obviously, we've seen a play like this before, but this is the kind of **** that just seems like it happens to Washington... Barehands the ball, throws it straight into the ground, two runs score on an IF single...

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6852779

soxfanreggie
09-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Even with Strasburg, unless they make a few FA moves, they'll be my top pick to have a top 3 pick in the next two drafts. They could be the likethe Rays in a few years, but that will take a good managerial effor as well and some good player development.

I hope their ownership has the money set aside to pay the huge signing bonuses as well. They might as well assume they'll be negotiating with Bora$$ and put him as #1 on speed dial.

soxinem1
09-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Even with Strasburg, unless they make a few FA moves, they'll be my top pick to have a top 3 pick in the next two drafts. They could be the likethe Rays in a few years, but that will take a good managerial effor as well and some good player development.

I hope their ownership has the money set aside to pay the huge signing bonuses as well. They might as well assume they'll be negotiating with Bora$$ and put him as #1 on speed dial.

History is not on the side of WAS. I think he has the pedigree to break the streak, but pitchers going #1 has had a precedent of failure.

At the same time, the Natinals have a reputation as a poorly run organization. They need to get some real minor-league development people back in the organization, like the Expos had for decades. Until they get that, they can have all the top picks for years and still do nothing.

soxfanreggie
09-27-2009, 01:51 AM
History is not on the side of WAS. I think he has the pedigree to break the streak, but pitchers going #1 has had a precedent of failure.

At the same time, the Natinals have a reputation as a poorly run organization. They need to get some real minor-league development people back in the organization, like the Expos had for decades. Until they get that, they can have all the top picks for years and still do nothing.

Watching him pitch, he has the talent to get it done, but you also need to have the mind to sustain your career a this level. I think it's realistic to see Strasburg in the majors next year, but I am not ready to crown him an All-Star or Cy Young award winner yet.

Whappeh
09-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Main problem with the Natinals is nobody in DC really cares.

DSpivack
09-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Main problem with the Natinals is nobody in
DC really cares.

About baseball? Not really, but they'll support a winner.

35th and Shields
09-27-2009, 03:32 AM
Plenty care. It's unfortunate those that do have to bare this burden.

soxinem1
09-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Baseball has already failed twice in DC. The only difference is that WAS has the very costly Taxpayer Stadium that was built for the Natinals.

As a baseball fan I would love to see the sport succeed there, but signing six-year minor league free agents, guys who never reached their potential, and thrice-released players will not win you anything, or put fannies in the seats.

This has to be approached as an investment, just like the current management structure of TAM has run the organization.

As the Rays and Dombrowski-led DET has proven, it does not take long to do it, if you formulate a plan and stick to it.

TornLabrum
09-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Baseball has already failed twice in DC.

Baseball has failed more than twice in DC:

Washington Statesmen/Nationals (1881-1884)
Washington Nationals (1886-1889)
Washington Senators (1891-1899)
Washington Senators (1901-1960)
Washington Senators (1961-1971)

mzh
09-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Baseball has already failed twice in DC. The only difference is that WAS has the very costly Taxpayer Stadium that was built for the Natinals.

I would disagree slightly. It is true that the new Senators failed miserably in the 60's, but it took 50 years of horrible baseball to move the Senators the Minneapolis, and the same can be said of the St. Louis Browns.

PKalltheway
09-27-2009, 05:48 PM
That's because nearly every Washington baseball team fielded after 1933 wasn't (and still isn't) worth a **** anyway.

Want people to care? Build a team worth seeing, and people will start caring. If the organization doesn't care, then why should the fans? That's probably why baseball has failed twice there.

Shoeless_Jeff
09-28-2009, 12:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aClZuTmY2VQ