PDA

View Full Version : Another lefty for the bullpen

chisoxfanatic
09-26-2009, 02:32 PM
If Matt Thornton is converted to our closer full-time next year (and I would support this since Thornton has the filthiest stuff), who would you add to the bullpen to replace him in the set-up role? We would need another at least decent lefty in there (I really don't want to have Williams as our only non-closing lefty option if he is still here next year).

waldo_the_wolf
09-26-2009, 03:09 PM
I was thinking that exact same thing recently. While I was in support of making Matt the closer, I'd be hesitant to take him out of his current role since I can say without hesitation that he is the best left-handed reliever in MLB.

BleacherBandit
09-26-2009, 04:34 PM
I support getting rid of Jenks, but why not try pursuing another closer?

mzh
09-26-2009, 04:38 PM

When you say pursue another closer, do you mean via trade or free agency? As far as I know, as opposed to last year, the FA closer market is very weak. As for trading, when was the last time there was a major trade involving a closer?

oeo
09-26-2009, 04:44 PM

Closer is just a role. There's new closers who come out of the woodwork every year. No reason to trade or sign for that.

slavko
09-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Matt throws a heavy fastball high 90's with little movement and a slider that he sort of has control of. I don't call that filthy stuff. Another poster called it one-and-a-half pitches and I agree. It's enough to close, true. Does he have the "essentials" for the job?

Jenks, who has a vast array of pitches, might be better suited to starting.

mzh
09-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Jenks, who has a vast array of pitches, might be better suited to starting.

As are most major league relief pitchers, Jenks was brought up by the Angels as a starter, but just couldn't make it past the fifth and partied too hard. So they dumped him, and Kenny saw that he was much more valuable at closer than starter. Point is, most relievers are failed starters.

Frater Perdurabo
09-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Why not keep both Jenks and Thornton, and use both of them to close, depending on the situation? Jenks got out righties OK, but got hammered by lefties this year. But Thornton was filthy against lefties this year.

soxinem1
09-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Why not keep both Jenks and Thornton, and use both of them to close, depending on the situation? Jenks got out righties OK, but got hammered by lefties this year. But Thornton was filthy against lefties this year.

Especially this day and age, co-closers do not work.

BleacherBandit
09-26-2009, 09:46 PM
When you say pursue another closer, do you mean via trade or free agency? As far as I know, as opposed to last year, the FA closer market is very weak. As for trading, when was the last time there was a major trade involving a closer?

Doesn't have to be a major trade. I like the fact that we have a lefty that can nail it down in the late innings. Plus, who knows how he'll be as a "closer".

Big D
09-26-2009, 09:57 PM

They could work just fine. The problem is that players will whine and cry about not "knowing their role." Most teams these days that use closer by committee do so because they don't have any good relievers, so of course it doesn't work for those teams. If you had multiple good relievers, it would work just fine.

Frater Perdurabo
09-26-2009, 10:00 PM
They could work just fine. The problem is that players will whine and cry about not "knowing their role." Most teams these days that use closer by committee do so because they don't have any good relievers, so of course it doesn't work for those teams. If you had multiple good relievers, it would work just fine.

I want a bullpen filled with four or five guys who are good enough to work a scoreless inning and therefore can successfully close out a game.

mzh
09-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I want a bullpen filled with four or five guys who are good enough to work a scoreless inning and therefore can successfully close out a game.

If co-closers don't work, then Frater's situation, which I like,is impossible. I agree with Frater, if we can come up with 3 or 4 guys who ccan pitch a scoreless inning 3/4 or 4/5 times, it really doesn't matter who closes the game out.

russ99
09-27-2009, 10:51 AM
We don't have to assume Thornton would be the guy or that we'd need to go out and get an expensive FA. Do we have anyone in the system who could close?

Link was mentioned as being groomed to close at one point, and Nunez could possibly take the role as well. Obviously whoever it would be needs both stuff and the mentality.

There's the added benefit of guys in the majors not seeing the closer before, like Bobby in 2005. It happens all the time around the league, Oakland's closer is a rookie this year.

Had we kept Poreda, he would have been the best option, but I'd rather have a dominant Peavy over a rookie closer.