PDA

View Full Version : Rowand to the Cubs?

SaltyPretzel
09-26-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-26-cubs-giants-chicago-sep26,0,1822674.story

Martinigirl
09-26-2009, 10:38 AM
That whole article seems like delusional thinking by someone who wants to think the Cubs won't be on the hook for Bradley's contract, and may actually get something good in return for him.

The author is insane.

DumpJerry
09-26-2009, 11:10 AM
He'll love crashing into that outfield wall.

Over By There
09-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Any GM who gives up anything of value for Milton Bradley would be even dumber than Jim Hendry. Ergo, this article is delusional.

LITTLE NELL
09-26-2009, 11:25 AM
What GM in his right mind would take a chance on Bradley?
The Cubs are stuck with him. Too bad.:bandance:

WhiteSox1989
09-26-2009, 12:03 PM
I hope I don't have to see Rowand in Cubbie Blue..

JermaineDye05
09-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Rowand with the Cubs. Always been a great guy and one of my favorite players. I'd love for some more chances to see him live and get a chance to thank him for 2005.

soxfanreggie
09-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Giants would be stupid to make that trade. Pads could get him for a song, and maybe it works for them if the Cubs pay a large majority on his contract. If he goes AWOL again, they could always cut him with little financial responsibility of their own. Things will go right on his eighteenth chance, right?

Hitmen77
09-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Just another Sully/Cubune fantasy about good or popular players coming to the Cubs.

Like remember the time the Cubs signed Johnny Damon and then signed Furcal and then they traded for Brian Roberts and traded for Jake Peavy?:rolleyes:

WhiteSoxOnly
09-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Just another Sully/Cubune fantasy about good or popular players coming to the Cubs.

Like remember the time the Cubs signed Johnny Damon and then signed Furcal and then they traded for Brian Roberts and traded for Jake Peavy?:rolleyes:

Yep,all of those...don't forget Fox & Samardzia for Halladay to.
That one's coming up.

VMSNS
09-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Yep,all of those...don't forget Fox & Samardzia for Halladay to.
That one's coming up.

I read on a Cub forum that they could get Roy for Fox alone. I think there was even a guy who said they could get Roy straight up for Vitters.

WhiteSoxOnly
09-26-2009, 03:11 PM
I read on a Cub forum that they could get Roy for Fox alone. I think there was even a guy who said they could get Roy straight up for Vitters.

Comedy.

soxinem1
09-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Giants would be stupid to make that trade. Pads could get him for a song, and maybe it works for them if the Cubs pay a large majority on his contract. If he goes AWOL again, they could always cut him with little financial responsibility of their own. Things will go right on his eighteenth chance, right?

Not only another chance, but the excuse making for this guy is just getting unreal.

Kevin Towers said Bradley is suited to a small-market team.

Hmmm, is that a team like SD, CLE, OAK, or MTL (when they had a team)?

Well, he's been with all four of those small market teams and all four got rid of him. Maybe he should go to TAM, CIN, MIL, or FLA and ruin their clubhouses too.

I guess if any small market team picks him up they can forget about the post-season, because if more than 25,000 people come to the game, or too many reporters cover them, he is not a good guy to have.

At this point, I'm not sure the St.Paul Saints want him.....

I do agree, though, that Rowand would be better off in Wrigley than SF. The Giants were dummies to give him that kind of contract when thy shouldn have known that Rowand's power equates to warning-track fly balls in their place.

Medford Bobby
09-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Rowand got greedy signing with the Giants, as the Phillies also wanted to sign him to decent a contract and he would have had a 2sd World Series ring too.....:whiner:

Big D
09-26-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm sure the Giants would be willing to do it - if the Cubs pay all of Bradley's salary AND take on all of Rowand's contract. Then they could use the money they saved to sign somebody like Matt Holliday. Other than that, I don't think so.

Frater Perdurabo
09-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Any Cubune employee delusional enough to deny that they are a blatantly pro-Cubs rag need only look at this story, and the countless others cited here, that openly suggest ridiculous trade ideas to improve the Cubs.

Fair and balanced? Unbiased? Editorial independence? What a crock of ****.

StillMissOzzie
09-27-2009, 01:39 AM
I'm sure the Giants would be willing to do it - if the Cubs pay all of Bradley's salary AND take on all of Rowand's contract. Then they could use the money they saved to sign somebody like Matt Holliday. Other than that, I don't think so.

I think it will be either one option or the other, but I doubt that it will be both. I think that the Cubs will have their choice op Option A or Option B, where:

A = Trade Miltie to a small-market, low pressure environment where the Cubs will be paying most of the freight, or
B = Trade Miltie for someone else's onerous contract even up, like the Rowand deal mentioned, where the Cubs dump $21M and assume $36M

Much as it would give me a good belly laugh, I don't see BOTH A & B happening, where Rowand costs $57M for 3 years!!!

SMO
:o:

voodoochile
09-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I think it will be either one option or the other, but I doubt that it will be both. I think that the Cubs will have their choice op Option A or Option B, where:

A = Trade Miltie to a small-market, low pressure environment where the Cubs will be paying most of the freight, or
B = Trade Miltie for someone else's onerous contract even up, like the Rowand deal mentioned, where the Cubs dump $21M and assume $36M

Much as it would give me a good belly laugh, I don't see BOTH A & B happening, where Rowand costs $57M for 3 years!!!

SMO
:o:

Rowand is at least a standup guy and won't flip off the fans. That might be worth some cash.

soxinem1
09-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Rowand is at least a standup guy and won't flip off the fans. That might be worth some cash.

Not for the silly contract he has!:smile:

On the other hand, I wonder if KW thinks he can make a Thome-like trade for Rowand. It may sound ridiculous but he's gone out of the box before on major deals. The only difference would be he's never done it for a former major league White Sox player.

slavko
09-27-2009, 10:15 AM

On the other hand, I wonder if KW thinks he can make a Thome-like trade for Rowand. It may sound ridiculous but he's gone out of the box before on major deals. The only difference would be he's never done it for a former major league White Sox player.

Whoa there sailor! Now we're thinking like the Tribune. It would be out of the box because Kenny would have to admit he made a mistake in the first place. That almost never happens in the corporate world or sports world. Let's bake some brownies and have a nice glass of milk. (I'm trying to say:Calm down.)

russ99
09-27-2009, 10:17 AM

As much as I'd hate Rowand with the Cubs, I wouldn't mind it for that reason alone - that they'd be financially stuck for years with the bad contracts they have.

Kenny wouldn't pay that much for Rowand before, so why now? And he got Rios to play CF, who has more upside at this point in their careers and is signed to a lesser deal.

I'd love to see Aaron come back to the south side as much as anyone, but we need to face facts. The soonest that would happen is after his massive contract is done.

voodoochile
09-27-2009, 10:42 AM

I have no desire to see Rowand back with the Sox. Even if he has a bad year Rios should match that production.

I was thinking the flubbies might be willing to trade Bradley and cash for Rowand just to get rid of the headache.

PatK
09-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I thought that I was hallucinating when I saw this article.

Or reading the Onion.

gosox41
09-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Any GM who gives up anything of value for Milton Bradley would be even dumber than Jim Hendry. Ergo, this article is delusional.

I think there's an excellent chance Bradley will be traded. Probably close to 90% IMO.

Never doubt the stupidity of GM's.

Bob

PennStater98r
09-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Comedy.

:hawk

I love comedy!