PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Bacon fries DET 9/25 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
09-25-2009, 10:33 PM
This season might be over, but you have to love the mound presence Peavy had tonight. You can see he was pumped like it was the World Series.

Seven innings of Blew-By-You.

Dye with a great catch and Thornton slams the door with GAS!

Preview of 2010, hopefully???

EDIT: Hit the post button a little quick!

illini81887
09-25-2009, 10:34 PM
starting this a bit early, game not over yet

Frater Perdurabo
09-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm never upset with a Sox victory.

However, I'll be pissed if the Twins win the division. The Tigers definitely are the lesser of two evils.

illini81887
09-25-2009, 10:38 PM
and now this ballgame is ovah

spongyfungy
Why is Stone so excited?

soxinem1
starting this a bit early, game not over yet

I'm a dumbass, I hit the mouse pad with my wrist. I was praying I didn't jinx Matty!

KnightSox
09-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Peavy was awesome!

WhiteSoxOnly
09-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Peavy was awesome!

Yes he was.2010 can't get here fast enough.

GlassSox
09-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Why is Stone so excited?

Hawk wasn't there.

DirtySox
09-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Offense was woeful except for Beckham.

Peavy and the bullpen were great.

Go Twinkies. I'd rather watch you then anything from Detroit.

JB98
09-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Two points:

1) Peavy can pitch in the American League.
2) Our offense still sucks.

soxfan1965
09-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Peavy was awesome! Indeed, worth waiting for, Peavy is a joy to watch, such competence. Nice to see good efficient baseball, winning with two hits, good defense & great pitching, taking advantage of Detroit's error. Then Matt Thornton with his Kurt Browning-like fluid motions, closing the game.

soxinem1
09-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Why is Stone so excited?

He had a chance to get two words in uninterrupted, and we won a game this month.

I think he feels Thornton should have been closing two months ago.

GlassSox
09-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Two points:

1) Peavy can pitch in the American League.
2) Our offense still sucks.

Reply:
1) True
2) True

JermaineDye05
09-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Fellow White Sox fan. Get used to performances like this. Jake Peavy is the ace of this staff now. He's one of the best RHP in baseball, enjoy him.

veeter
09-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Fun win. Peavy looks really good.

Noneck
09-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Seeing what Peavy really is, makes me hope ownership does what it should do this off season. Having 4 starters like the Sox will have next year is very special. Hopefully this special situation will release special resources from ownership.

JermaineDye05
09-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Woot, got on the postgame show! :bandance::bandance:

I probably stood out. I was the one talking about Jake.

ChiSoxGirl
09-25-2009, 11:32 PM

I totally heard you!!! :bandance:

roylestillman
09-25-2009, 11:37 PM
For better or worse (and mostly better) this felt like the first game of the 2010 season. Peavy the stopper, Thornton the closer and Beckham the clutch.

all*star quentin
09-25-2009, 11:42 PM

Sorry I miss you, did you win anything for calling in?

JermaineDye05
09-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Sorry I miss you, did you win anything for calling in?

Yeah, I got one of those beggars gift cards.

The Immigrant
09-25-2009, 11:47 PM
I think we've seen the last of Bobby Jenks in a White Sox uniform.

Danielgosox38
09-25-2009, 11:50 PM
I think we've seen the last of Bobby Jenks in a White Sox uniform.

Thornton is a beast. You can count me in on the "Thornton for closer bandwagon".

Lip Man 1
09-25-2009, 11:54 PM
You wonder what might have happened momentum wise had Peavy been able to pitch another four or five games, oh well.

This offense even when they win is still horsedung...almost completely silenced this evening from another no-name garbage pitcher.

Lip

Johnny Mostil
09-25-2009, 11:58 PM
You wonder what might have happened momentum wise had Peavy been able to pitch another four or five games, oh well.

Probably nothing "momentum wise." Mark Buehrle pitched a perfect game and the Sox went on to immediately lose six of seven to the Tiggers and Twinkies and compile the sixth-worst record in the majors since then.

Then again, with another four or five games like that, maybe the Sox would be that much closer to .500. Oh, well.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Well Johnny immediately after Mark's perfect game the Sox had "All-Stars" Bartolo Colon and Jose Contreras lined up for the biggest series of the year.

Did you expect anything different from what wound up happening that faithful day?

Talk about a momentum killer... then Bobby blew the Saturday game (arguably the biggest single game of the season since with a win the Sox would have been one back) and it was look out below.

Lip

Johnny Mostil
09-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Well Johnny immediately after Mark's perfect game the Sox had "All-Stars" Bartolo Colon and Jose Contreras lined up for the biggest series of the year.

Did you expect anything different from what wound up happening that faithful day?

Talk about a momentum killer... then Bobby blew the Saturday game (arguably the biggest single game of the season since with a win the Sox would have been one back) and it was look out below.

Lip

Meh. "Momentum" is, IMO, the most overhyped variable in major-league baseball. As PHG once said, it don't mean jack (or something like that). The Sox didn't lose because Colon and Contreras killed their "momentum." They lost because they weren't very good (as demonstrated by having Colon and Contreras on their roster!).

VMSNS
09-26-2009, 12:12 AM
I caught most of the game, but not all of it.

Umpiring was pretty brutal. Two obviously blown calls that would have resulted in two hits. Peavy looked nasty. Nice HR by Gordon, but the offense was anemic as usual. We should have scored in the 8th (or was it the 7th?) when we had guys on 1st and 3rd.

That is all.

FielderJones
09-26-2009, 12:37 AM
If the Sox offense sucked with 2 runs on 2 hits, what did the Tigers offense do with 0 runs on 6 hits?

soxinem1
09-26-2009, 12:42 AM
If the Sox offense sucked with 2 runs on 2 hits, what did the Tigers offense do with 0 runs on 6 hits?

They showed that they do not want the division almost as much as we don't want the division.

hi im skot
09-26-2009, 12:44 AM

Blew?

Hitmen77
09-26-2009, 12:47 AM
I have been pulling for the Tigers over the Twins in this "lesser of 2 evils" thing, but I might be having a change of heart. As much as I hate the Twinkies, I wouldn't mind seeing the Tigers with their big payroll denied the post season yet again.

I know Cabrera is good, but just he and Maggs alone are going to make $38 million next year.:o:

Yeah, but they were facing an All-Star, Cy Young award winning ace and we were facing some unaccomplished nobody.

Danielgosox38
09-26-2009, 01:14 AM
I have been pulling for the Tigers over the Twins in this "lesser of 2 evils" thing, but I might be having a change of heart. As much as I hate the Twinkies, I wouldn't mind seeing the Tigers with their big payroll denied the post season yet again.

I know Cabrera is good, but just he and Maggs alone are going to make $38 million next year.:o:

Yeah, but they were facing an All-Star, Cy Young award winning ace and we were facing some unaccomplished nobody.

Exactly. You really can't compare to the two. The Tigers were facing one of the true elite pitchers in baseball. And boy am I glad he is on our team :wink:

JB98
09-26-2009, 01:15 AM

Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Jake Peavy has shut down quite a few lineups in his career. No shame in losing to him if you are Detroit.

Eddie Bonine? He's terrible and shame on the Sox for not clobbering him. Fortunately, Peavy didn't let us lose.

hawkjt
09-26-2009, 01:38 AM
When guys got on base, Peavy turned it up a notch. He is a natural born killer out there and I like it.

Amazing how this team struggles to get hits,tho. We need another .300 hitter or two.

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-26-2009, 01:52 AM
So glad I bought tickets earlier in the week for a reason. I had to get my fix for 2009 of seeing Peavy pitch and it was worth every last penny.

Not much to say other than great pitching and I don't know when the Sox will figure out they have to hit the ball in order to win games.

pudge
09-26-2009, 02:14 AM
What's sad is that Peavy's arm didn't get a lot of use this season, which means he would be prime for a big post-season run. Ah well, just have to hope he stays healthy through 2010... but man, this lineup needs to be completely re-thought. Really scary how they cannot hit an unknown pitcher EVER.

oeo
09-26-2009, 02:21 AM
What's sad is that Peavy's arm didn't get a lot of use this season, which means he would be prime for a big post-season run. Ah well, just have to hope he stays healthy through 2010... but man, this lineup needs to be completely re-thought. Really scary how they cannot hit an unknown pitcher EVER.

No, what we need is Quentin and Rios to bounce back and a right fielder.

DumpJerry
09-26-2009, 02:28 AM
Ok, before anyone else whines about the offense tonight, let me remind you that this was a very, very humid night and Bonine is a knuckleballer. Humidity + knuckelball= long night for hitters. The ball does its best dancing in humid conditions.

Also, don't worry about the Tigers. The supposed "Perpetual Losers" up north will win yet another Division Title next weekend. I don't see the Twins getting past the ALDS since right now I'm thinking nobody can stop the Bronx Bombers.

oeo
09-26-2009, 02:30 AM
Ok, before anyone else whines about the offense tonight, let me remind you that this was a very, very humid night and Bonine is a knuckleballer. Humidity + knuckelball= long night for hitters. The ball does its best dancing in humid conditions.

Also, don't worry about the Tigers. The supposed "Perpetual Losers" up north will win yet another Division Title next weekend. I don't see the Twins getting past the ALDS since right now I'm thinking nobody can stop the Bronx Bombers.

And the Twins are always a flop in the playoffs. For all the praise Gardenhire gets around here for rallying the troops, he certainly can't do it in October.

guillensdisciple
09-26-2009, 04:26 AM
In case anyone cares, I just got off my ban and the White Sox won.

The White Sox were 0-4 during my ban from this site.

It is obvious that the Sox miss my presence on these forums.

if A=B=C

Frankfan4life
09-26-2009, 04:28 AM
Lousy weather but great game. Definitely worth the cost of admission to see Peavy pitch. The crowd was energetic and kind of wild. An idiot cubfan held up a banner a few rows from my section and the fans really let him have it. Security had to come and tell him to put the ugly banner away. Good stuff!!!

The only downer (besides the Sox offense) was that the Twins won. As I was leaving my condo for the game, a Twins fan saw me in my Sox gear and wished the Sox good luck. I hate the Twins. I'd rather see Detroit win the division then get crushed in the first round.

October26
09-26-2009, 08:04 AM
What a great win! It is always fun to see the Sox win and boy was Peavy fun to watch. I am excited about our starting pitching for 2010 - now Kenny needs to strengthen the bullpen and get us some more offense and we're set.

For the moment, I'm going to feel good about this White Sox winner - it has been a while since I can do the 'nana dance, that is for sure. :bandance:

soxinem1
09-26-2009, 08:26 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing MIN lose the division by one game two years in a row.

And if they do, they can't blame the coin flip this time.

SCCWS
09-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Thornton is a beast. You can count me in on the "Thornton for closer bandwagon".

Not sure what you mean by a beast. Thornton has been lights out all year against left handers. But Ozzie has used him more this year against right handers. He has a 3.51 era and right handed batters are hitting .280. If he was the closer we would be holloring for a replacement.
Jenks has pitched well against right-handers and has been terrible against lefties.

mmmmmbeeer
09-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Peavy is such a beast. We've seen some great pitching from Sox starters the last few seasons but I honestly can't remember, even MB's perfect game, a starter who had the mound presence that Peavy had last night. He just looks so supremely confident in his stuff, like he's got a sign taped to his jersey that says to the hitter, "f*** you and f*** your mother, I'm going to get your a**". The movement on his fastball was ridiculous and his slider, well, it's Jake Peavy's slider. Gavin Floyd is going to learn a lot from this guy if he's willing to listen....and not just in his approach to throwing the ball but his mental approach and presence on the mound.

WhiteSox1989
09-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Jake Peavy is good.

SOXSINCE'70
09-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Hawk wasn't there.

And Stone actually did quite well in the play by play department,IMO.

Although it was a little strange when Beckham hit the home run. I kept waiting for:
:hawk
"Stretch!! Get on back there!! He looks up, you can put it on the boaaaarrrrdddd,yyyyyessss!!":D:

SOXSINCE'70
09-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Jake Peavy is good.

The scary part: he could get better.:cool:

SOXSINCE'70
09-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Let's not hand him that position so quickly.
I need to see him more in the 9th when the game is on the line.
But this was a very positive start.:cool:

PalehosePlanet
09-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Seeing what Peavy really is, makes me hope ownership does what it should do this off season. Having 4 starters like the Sox will have next year is very special. Hopefully this special situation will release special resources from ownership.

I also really, really like what I see of Daniel Hudson. His stuff is simply outstanding. Excellent movement on his pitches and pretty much nothing above the knees. It's no wonder he hardly gave any HR's in the minors.

Barring injury, I think it's just a matter of when, not if, with him.

mmmmmbeeer
09-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Let's not hand him that position so quickly.
I need to see him more in the 9th when the game is on the line.
But this was a very positive start.:cool:

He threw nothing but fastballs. Although it was a successful approach last night, he's not going to be a great, even good, closer unless he mixes it up a bit.

Noneck
09-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I also really, really like what I see of Daniel Hudson. His stuff is simply outstanding. Excellent movement on his pitches and pretty much nothing above the knees. It's no wonder he hardly gave any HR's in the minors.

Barring injury, I think it's just a matter of when, not if, with him.

Even more the reason to buck up next year.

PalehosePlanet
09-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Not sure what you mean by a beast. Thornton has been lights out all year against left handers. But Ozzie has used him more this year against right handers. He has a 3.51 era and right handed batters are hitting .280. If he was the closer we would be holloring for a replacement.
Jenks has pitched well against right-handers and has been terrible against lefties.

His ERA is 2.61 --- quite a significant difference.

PalehosePlanet
09-26-2009, 11:04 AM
He threw nothing but fastballs. Although it was a successful approach last night, he's not going to be a great, even good, closer unless he mixes it up a bit.

He struck out Cabrera on a slider. He also threw another excellent slider that wasn't called (the one Ozzie got tossed on.)

But I agree in general that he would have to throw more of them and for strikes, if he were to succeed as a closer.

Twins_Morneau
09-26-2009, 11:07 AM
And the Twins are always a flop in the playoffs. For all the praise Gardenhire gets around here for rallying the troops, he certainly can't do it in October.

I think the "Pirahna" offense doesn't translate well in October, but we are changing slowly into a HR club. If we do make it, it'll be thanks to this series, but it'll be bittersweet without Morneau.

Peavy does looks like an Ace, the Sox rotation will be scary next year.

PalehosePlanet
09-26-2009, 11:15 AM
I think the "Pirahna" offense doesn't translate well in October, but we are changing slowly into a HR club. If we do make it, it'll be thanks to this series, but it'll be bittersweet without Morneau.

Peavy does looks like an Ace, the Sox rotation will be scary next year.

Yeah, I agree that your offense is a lot different now; a lot more thunder. It's obvious that you can still score plenty of runs without Morneau.

It's weird seeing The Twins have to out-slug their opponents now.

I think the overall problem would be your rotation come playoff time right? Who would go 1-3 for you guys?

palehozenychicty
09-26-2009, 11:17 AM
A good win, although it's way too late. The offense needs an overhaul. People can't really count on Quentin and Rios returning to form.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-26-2009, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing MIN lose the division by one game two years in a row.

And if they do, they can't blame the coin flip this time.

:kneeslap::wired: :praying:
This scenario would be the best. The utter beauty of Game 163 last year, the incessant whining from the Twinkies, getting the rule changed while ignoring the fact that they had it all in their hands only to drop it the last weekend of the season -- a repeat case of undrunken champagne would serve them right.

VMSNS
09-26-2009, 12:09 PM
By the way....what happened with Ozzie? I didn't see the 9th inning. I assume he got tossed for arguing balls in strikes, but was the pitch even close?

TommyJohn
09-26-2009, 12:09 PM
:kneeslap::wired: :praying:
This scenario would be the best. The utter beauty of Game 163 last year, the incessant whining from the Twinkies, getting the rule changed while ignoring the fact that they had it all in their hands only to drop it the last weekend of the season -- a repeat case of undrunken champagne would serve them right.

I would love that. Of course, they find someone or something else to blame. It is the way of the crybaby bitch Twins.

guillensdisciple
09-26-2009, 12:31 PM
You can lock this up for next year.

The White Sox WILL win this division, and the White Sox WILL win the World Series.

Hitmen77
09-26-2009, 12:38 PM
When guys got on base, Peavy turned it up a notch. He is a natural born killer out there and I like it.

Amazing how this team struggles to get hits,tho. We need another .300 hitter or two.

The sad thing is, we had two .300 hitters in our lineup yesterday.

I'm not sure what our offense is going to look like when those 2 guys (Pods and AJ) return to somewhere near their career norms next year. The Sox MUST get a bona fide power hitter for the middle of our lineup next year. If the offseason is spent just getting some reclamation project, then it'll probably be more of the ****ing same next year.

Other than that, it sounds like our strategy for next year is to just cross our fingers and hope Quentin and Rios return to their 2008 levels.

SCCWS
09-26-2009, 01:40 PM
His ERA is 2.61 --- quite a significant difference.

Wrong............ His overall era is 2.61 because he has been, as I posted, "lights out" against lefties. But his era against right handers is 3.51 and they are hitting .280 against him.

chisoxfanatic
09-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Lousy weather but great game. Definitely worth the cost of admission to see Peavy pitch.
Yea, I hardly was able to see the postgame fireworks, because it was so foggy out! It was misty and sort of brisk, but not bad enough to need a jacket.

I'm glad I had a ticket to this one, because it was a pleasure to watch Peavy pitch live. He doesn't seem to get rattled when he lets on the occasional base runner. He just goes after the next guy and gets him out. Most impressive, and I'm looking forward to seeing him throw for a full season in 2010.

Tonight will be the last of my string of attending 5 games in a row. Make it a good one, Freddy!

tstrike2000
09-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Why is Stone so excited?

Perhaps because the last month especially of White Sox baseball has been absolute garbage and to get wins like this has been few and far between.

oeo
09-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Other than that, it sounds like our strategy for next year is to just cross our fingers and hope Quentin and Rios return to their 2008 levels.

As it should be. We have other holes to fill, those guys need to play better. Both seem to be coming around a bit, unsurprisingly too late.

wassagstdu
09-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Wrong............ His overall era is 2.61 because he has been, as I posted, "lights out" against lefties. But his era against right handers is 3.51 and they are hitting .280 against him.

How can you have an era against right handers? Is it the guy who scores or the hitter who gets the rbi? If a right hander hits a HR and there is a left-hander on base do you count one each way?

slavko
09-26-2009, 05:39 PM
By the way....what happened with Ozzie? I didn't see the 9th inning. I assume he got tossed for arguing balls in strikes, but was the pitch even close?

Threw a nasty slider above the knees across the heart of the plate and it was called a ball. I thought I lip read Ozzie for a hyphenated word beginning with "A" before he departed.

How can you have an era against right handers? Is it the guy who scores or the hitter who gets the rbi? If a right hander hits a HR and there is a left-hander on base do you count one each way?

Yeah..??? Makes sense at first, but then falls apart.

soxfan22
09-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Delighted for a Sox win. The hell with this season, we'll be ready for 2010

SCCWS
09-26-2009, 07:24 PM

Best advice to understand baseball would be getting a TV in your house.

doublem23
09-26-2009, 07:43 PM

It counts only against the way the batter is hitting. For instance, if you give up 3 straight singles to left-handed batters and then give up a grand slam to a righty, you have 0 ER against LH and 4 ER against RH.

A better split for lefty/righty matchups is BAA/OBA/SLGA.